HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's going on with Kiprusoff?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy
All three goalies will probably miss Strelow who has major health concerns.
I think that is the key thing for both clubs this year.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixer
Are you kidding me?? I watched all but 4 or so games in that season. Were you watching the same team in 02-03? The whole team was playing terrible, but Kipper was NOT keeping them in the games. He was just as bad as the team in front of him.
As a Sharks fan who watched the majority of those hard games that year, I have to agree with this sentiment.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy
When the Sharks traded Kipper, Toskala was an unknown to all but the Sharks. SJ assessed all three and found Kipper to be third. The assessment was that all were close to each other. Kipper was judged to be less good positionally, but would compensate with a little more athleticisim than Nabby. Toskala has a little more as well. Nabby's concentration is a little better than both and his positioning is better. However, even Nabby can be off positionally as seen in the first two Calgary playoff games of 03-04. It took Strelow watching video to convince Nabby to modify his play for the subsequent 4 games. SJ works an integrated system between D and goal; the part of this where Nabby excels is not giving up rebounds. Kipper was short in this area as well. To play with Kipper the D has to be more aware and quick to clear the puck. With Nabby, the rebound issue is not as dramatic.

All three goalies will probably miss Strelow who has major health concerns.

While I've since lost the quote, Strelow had been noted as saying he thought Kipper was the most talented of the three. Don't fool yourself with talent...the trade was all business.

You have three talented netminders (none real clear cut above the rest but I admit I like Kipper the best). Nabby the media darling of the Bay Area...Kipper the new scapegoat among SJ fans for the 02-03 season...and Toskala the unknown talent with decent numbers in the AHL and lacking size you'd like with your goalie.

You don't trade Toskala because you won't be gettin his full value. Can't trade Nabby...terrible PR move for a team with playoff aspirations. But you have two guys offering up 2nd round picks for your new scapegoat. It's a no brainer.

10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
So far this just makes you question those who put him above Luongo.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Jealous of a cinderella run ?
Yup.

Especially Canuck and Wing fans, who both expected to go to the finals each of the previous two seasons, only to see supposedly inferior teams blow right by them.

Ironic that fans of two teams that have been victims of expectations are attacking another team - after only four games - for being victims of expectations.

As much as you may attempt to dismiss it, the bitterness from these two fanbases is palpable. As I said, it is not at all surprising that you guys are piling on.

Old
10-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Fan-of-#9

Kipper was enormously overrated entering this season. Don't get me wrong he was sensational in 03-04 BUT the fact remains that he is still relatively unproven. He hasn't even played 100 games in the NHL. He played 38 games minus the playoffs in 03-04, that's hardly enough experience to consider him a sure thing.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute
Yup.

Especially Canuck and Wing fans, who both expected to go to the finals each of the previous two seasons, only to see supposedly inferior teams blow right by them.

Ironic that fans of two teams that have been victims of expectations are attacking another team - after only four games - for being victims of expectations.

As much as you may attempt to dismiss it, the bitterness from these two fanbases is palpable. As I said, it is not at all surprising that you guys are piling on.
Jesus Christ, did I mention the Red Wings at all in any of the comments I made about Calgary?

You can't accept the fact that your team has serious issues, so you pretend there's someone out to get you, out to make you look bad. The Red Wings jealous of 15 playoff wins? Hardly.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Res... quit while you're ahead. Stuff like that is why we've been taking this flak all off-season.

We are having lots of problems right now, but they can be fixed. I still expect the Flames to be in the playoffs come April.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
So far this just makes you question those who put him above Luongo.
Also putting their defence ahead of Tampa Bays.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:46 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yup.

the paranoia can be real as long as you keep bringing it to the table.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
Jesus Christ, did I mention the Red Wings at all in any of the comments I made about Calgary?

You can't accept the fact that your team has serious issues, so you pretend there's someone out to get you, out to make you look bad. The Red Wings jealous of 15 playoff wins? Hardly.
Jesus Christ, did I reference you specifically when I made that argument? I was generalizing. It's not all about you.

Actually, I can accept that my team has serious issues. We've been completely flat, we havent been prepared to match the intensity that our opponents have come out with. Outside of the Columbus game, we haven't done a single thing that allowed us to be successful last season. Other teams have been prepared for us, and we havent been prepared to answer. Careless play is leading to dumb penalties that we arent killing.

However, I am not at all certian how I am pretending that someone is out to get me, or how it has any relevence to the Flames on-ice issues at the moment. Like I said, the common theme in many of the "Kipper sucks" posts in this thread is that they come from fans of certian teams. Make of it what you will, but I see fanbases that are falling all over themselves trying to say "See? See? Fluke! Fluke!"

We'll see how things shake out after 82 games. People who make blanket judgements on insignificant sample sizes often end up looking foolish in the end.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
Jesus Christ, did I reference you specifically when I made that argument? I was generalizing. It's not all about you.

Actually, I can accept that my team has serious issues. We've been completely flat, we havent been prepared to match the intensity that our opponents have come out with. Outside of the Columbus game, we haven't done a single thing that allowed us to be successful last season. Other teams have been prepared for us, and we havent been prepared to answer. Careless play is leading to dumb penalties that we arent killing.

However, I am not at all certian how I am pretending that someone is out to get me, or how it has any relevence to the Flames on-ice issues at the moment. Like I said, the common theme in many of the "Kipper sucks" posts in this thread is that they come from fans of certian teams. Make of it what you will, but I see fanbases that are falling all over themselves trying to say "See? See? Fluke! Fluke!"

We'll see how things shake out after 82 games. People who make blanket judgements on insignificant sample sizes often end up looking foolish in the end.
If it makes you feel any better, I've been saying they're more on the fluke side than elite side since May 2004, it hasn't happened in the last few days.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:10 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
After watching the game Sunday, all I can say is, what happened? It seems like unless they can grab and spear and make life hell, Calgary's defense is as effective as tissue paper. Five power play goals? How do you expect to mount any kind of a game with that going on? Not that we mind all the charitable contributions you gave us...especially that last one Sunday, that was very nice, and thank you very much.

Seriously though, I think a lot of it might have to do with your coach...when you have played for so many years with a certain style, and taught your players to play that way as well, it is damned near impossible to change it. Sometimes you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks.

Old
10-11-2005, 06:26 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixer
... The Flames this year are so far looking an awful lot like the Sharks of 02-03.
This post reminds me that there was a crack-down on obstuction that year as well--At least in the 1st half of the season.

If the flames don't recover, I think it becomes clear that DS isn't so good at adapting. Of course the flames have plenty of time to recover, but if they don't...

Old
10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
sehnsucht

Does anyone have the stats for obstruction penalties by team in 03-04? I can't remember clearly, but I'm pretty sure the Flames ranked in the mid-teens, which proves that their game isn't based off of clutching and grabbing but off of a high tempo forecheck and constant pressure...which requires you to move your feet, especially now when every team is looking to out work you....which requires effort....which the Flames don't have right now, which is why they arn't winning. DS's system would work fine if the players actually gave a damn. The only system that isn't working is the special teams.

I'm not sure how many times people who watch the Flames will have to state on this site about how their system isn't based off of clutching and grabbing and trapping and slowing the game down and all that crap. It'll work fine under the new rules, even better because it's a lot easier to forecheck without a thousand hands grasping you as you skate.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:04 PM
QuickDynamite

I knew people were overrating the Flames. Their special teams are horrific and besides Iginla (and to a degree Langkow and Amonte) they are all a bunch of 3rd line pluggers with no secondary scoring. I know it's only a few games into the season, but I said all along the Canucks and Oilers would be battling for the NW Division title. I do fully expect the Flames to make the playoffs though.

Old
10-11-2005, 07:32 PM
mackdogs*

Watch out for the Flames next year. With Kessel in the lineup they're gonna be contenders once again!!

Old
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gman83
Now that you mention it, Kiprusoff's career has a lot in common with Turek's. Both were backups who were playing behind solid starting goalies. They both get traded, and put up sub-2.00 goals against averages in their first years as starters.
Biggest difference is that Turek freaquently got down on himself, and it was a downward spiral from there.

You don't see that with Kiprusoff. Big difference there.

Not to mention playing styles either. Turek was a large goalie who used his big frame to cover alot of the net. Kiprusoff is a reflex goalie.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
I TOLD YOU SO!!
... after 4 games, much less. Wow, you sure showed me.

Talk to me at the end of the season. We'll talk then.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan
Cause Eddy isn't being touted as the next great goalie by the media and his fans. All we heard and read was Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper Flames Iginla Kipper

It was nausiating!! Reality hurts don't it!
What did you want to hear then, when it was a topic about the Flames?

Can I interest you in the progression of Stephane Yelle's career? Maybe Chris Clark?

Byron Ritchie? Does Steve Montador interest you?

Old
10-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky
Earth to Phanuthier with the new rules it's a new game! The Flames playoff run wasn't due to an overwheming offence or exceptional special team play they won, as you point out because they out worked the other team. The problem for them is that they can't play the same way under the new rules without getting penalized.

First they must make the playoffs, second they must find a way to play defence without holding or hooking and finally they have to score. So far they haven't shown any sign they can do any of these.
... after 4 games, once again.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Old
10-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
I don't know, 16 playoff wins instead of 15?
Yeah, that'll really fire them up for Game 4 of a 82 game regular season.

Old
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Maybe the fact that Kiprusoff played 38 games as a Flame that can now be considered a HOT streak since the previous year he 5-14 w/3.25 as a Shark?
38 regular season games + 26 playoff games = 64 total games in 2004.

How many games did your starting goalie play in 2004 alone?

Old
10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
pens66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
Watch out for the Flames next year. With Kessel in the lineup they're gonna be contenders once again!!

Old
10-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Jealous of a cinderella run ?
2 years ago today, yes I actually would have been jealous of a Stanley Cup run.

Closed Thread