HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Couturier making the team?

Old
10-06-2011, 08:52 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Couturier I think means like clothes maker or fashion designer or something. How about we call him Calvin Klein or something like that?
Fashion designer if my French teacher back in 10th grade didn't suddenly decide to tell a lie.

Calvin Klein isn't associated with the term "haute couture" if I've understood things correctly though. Maybe we can call Couturier "Coco" after Coco Chanel. Or after that talk show host, if he/we are a bit unsure about our sexuality.

Chanel had some questionable views politically though, so maybe we should go for something completely different.

Please don't take this post too seriously.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Fashion designer if my French teacher back in 10th grade didn't suddenly decide to tell a lie.

Calvin Klein isn't associated with the term "haute couture" if I've understood things correctly though. Maybe we can call Couturier "Coco" after Coco Chanel. Or after that talk show host, if he/we are a bit unsure about our sexuality.

Chanel had some questionable views politically though, so maybe we should go for something completely different.

Please don't take this post too seriously.
I'm not big on fashion so Calvin Klein was the only guy I could think of. I was just saying maybe after a famous fashion guy, doesn't matter who. Versace maybe? Is that a guy or girl? Does it matter? Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wow what an endorsement!

Quote:
Eighteen-year-old rookie Sean Couturier, besides logging 4:34 of PK action, was on the ice in the final minute with Boston pressing the attack.

Who would have expected a vote of confidence like that from coach Peter Laviolette in an opener, huh?

“Why not? He’s our best defensive player,” Laviolette said.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...528&feedID=695

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Wow what an endorsement!
Honestly though, tonight he was our best defensive player.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Wow what an endorsement!
He is here to stay.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He is here to stay.
Dude is Selke material....

Old
10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
He definitely has the potential to win one or more in his career. Imagine when he adds more muscle and his offensive game comes along.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
PointL00kout

Quote:
He definitely has the potential to win one or more in his career. Imagine when he adds more muscle and his offensive game comes along.
Yeah he was quite the steal at 8th overall.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Shutdown material....the stuff Carter can only dream about...

Old
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Couturier excited for NHL debut

Nice attitude..didn't catch this article. Def nice start and debut...

Quote:
Most rookies try to form a checklist in their mind of what they want to do in their first couple games, so as to keep them from playing outside themselves.

“I just try to approach it the same way as if it were another game,” Couturier said. “Just gonna do what I do best and be a solid two-way forward and work hard and compete in battles and do what I can to help the team win. Try to keep is simple.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...40&feedID=6572

Old
10-07-2011, 07:10 AM
mirimon

He had a great game and was really impressive, but maybe we should wait just a little bit with declaring him Selke material.

Take a re-read of the GDT for the first fifteen minutes or so of last night's game. Say that Boston had scored on three of those chances they created (not completely unrealistic), I mean if the pendulum swings as hard the other way as well...

Old
10-07-2011, 07:22 AM
phillyfanatic

I thought the kid looked great tonight. The biggest concern I had about him was that he wasn't strong enough to play in the NHL, well, those were the Bruins.....the biggest and baddest in the land and he didn't look out of place AT ALL! I thought this was a 9 game and back to Junior you go thing.....now I think he is here to stay. Saawweeeettt!!!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:02 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
He had a great game and was really impressive, but maybe we should wait just a little bit with declaring him Selke material.

Take a re-read of the GDT for the first fifteen minutes or so of last night's game. Say that Boston had scored on three of those chances they created (not completely unrealistic), I mean if the pendulum swings as hard the other way as well...
First games of the season are a near-impossibility on which to base any opinions. Add to that the pomp and circumstance of the banner-raising and I'll just look at the 2 points as very nice to have and look forward to the next game. The fact that Couturier rose to the challenges Laviolette gave him as the game progressed is a nice point, though.

Incidentally, 'couture' means sewing, dressmaking, and design, so a couturier is a designer.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
First games of the season are a near-impossibility on which to base any opinions. Add to that the pomp and circumstance of the banner-raising and I'll just look at the 2 points as very nice to have and look forward to the next game. The fact that Couturier rose to the challenges Laviolette gave him as the game progressed is a nice point, though.

Incidentally, 'couture' means sewing, dressmaking, and design, so a couturier is a designer.
Yeah, with the turnover this team had over the summer it will take a while before things settle. It was a nice start to the season, no doubt, and the kid had an impressive start, but that's about what we got out of it. Oh, and two points.

Old
10-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I thought the kid looked great tonight. The biggest concern I had about him was that he wasn't strong enough to play in the NHL, well, those were the Bruins.....the biggest and baddest in the land and he didn't look out of place AT ALL! I thought this was a 9 game and back to Junior you go thing.....now I think he is here to stay. Saawweeeettt!!!
I loved the blast off Thomas' mask, and the several nice passes he made as well. His offense will come. The impressive thing was that, unlike Mr. Read, he didn't cough up any pucks on the way out of the zone.

I wasn't sure about Couturier being ready, based on a couple preseason games I saw, but it's obvious he's shutting down the other Cs at practice - and Lavy knows it. Sometimes kids like this play better with and against better talent.

We'll see if he keeps it up.

And the other really encouraging thing is that, at this point, Schenn is probably better at both ends of the rink too! Can't wait for him to join the big team.

Hartnell-Schenn-Read
Nodl-Couturier-Talbot - the Shut Down Line

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bill's assessment of the designer....

BTW I think we need Schenn for his faceoffs among other things....looks like that is going to be our achilles heel like Meltzer notes...

Quote:
* Sean Couturier was absolutely tremendous in his NHL debut. It was his line with Matt Read and Scott Hartnell that was on the ice for a key momentum-changing shift in the latter stages of the first period that eventually led to the Flyers' two-goal outburst in the closing minute of the period. Later, Couturier was outstanding on the penalty kill as Philly protected its one-goal lead in the third period. He narrowly missed scoring a shorthanded goal in the third period. As a matter of fact, had the goalie been a pure butterfly stylist instead of the unorthodox Tim Thomas, I think he'd have scored.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
PointL00kout

Quote:
Hell yeah.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Selke material from his first game? Oh come on, get real.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
kicksave27

I'm shocked he is as good defensively as he is. yeah, they said he was great defensively in the Q, but that's like being the tallest person in a town of midgets. Normally those top touted guys are all offense, but he's really well rounded. Jordan Staal is definitely a good comparison.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Great first game against a tough physical team. But it was 1 game. If he keeps it up for 8more, i think he may be here for the rest of the season. I just cant get over his speed. If he had top line speed he would be unbelievable. That slap shot he took at thomas was because he was so slow he had the defenders beat but they caught up to him and it was the only way to get a shot off.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Selke material from his first game? Oh come on, get real.
Obviously not now...but all indications and assessments from people with some decent hockey knowledge have said he will be very very good defensively and he's already showing it and being praised by the coach for his body of work in the games and probably in practice.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I'm shocked he is as good defensively as he is. yeah, they said he was great defensively in the Q, but that's like being the tallest person in a town of midgets. Normally those top touted guys are all offense, but he's really well rounded. Jordan Staal is definitely a good comparison.
Once again, and I don't mean to blast you, another misconception that the QMJHL is just an offense-only league and defense means nothing. If anything, over probably the past 10 years, scoring in the QMJHL has gone down while scoring in other junior leagues like the OHL and WHL has gone up drastically.

Last season, the QMJHL had three 100 point scorers. The OHL and WHL had 5 and 4, respectively. In terms of 50 goal scorers, the QMJHL only had one, the WHL had 2 and the OHL had 3.

Honestly, I think people think of the QMJHL from the mid to late 90s and think offense only. It really has become probably the best junior league in Canada with regards to developing players in terms of two-way games.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Oh, come on now. I thought he had a really good game last night. No need to be disappointed in him so far.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Oh, come on now. I thought he had a really good game last night. No need to be disappointed in him so far.
Eric?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

I think Couturier maybe here to stay someone ask about him being out in the last min of the gm with thomas out of the net and Laviolette siad it was because he's our best def forward......

I read the article in todays toronto sun........

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote