HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our defense

Old
10-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
No Markov (as usual!) and now...no Campoli (out approx. 3 weeks? 3 weeks is better than almost 3 years of injured Markov!):

Is this what we'll see for next game?

Gill/Emelin - Subban
Emelin/Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Diaz
#7 Weber or Emelin

#8 no more Woywitka...picked up by Rangers
#9 Mitera?
#10 Nash?
#11 Mac Bennett? where is Mac playing this year?! (doesn't he have potential a la Gorges?).

Weber as forward on 4th line (and there as insurance for dman position during game)

No panic, but...oneur D-depth is becoming thinner...

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:00 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
No Markov (as usual!) and now...no Campoli (out approx. 3 weeks? 3 weeks is better than almost 3 years of injured Markov!):

Gill/Emelin - Subban
Emelin/Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Diaz
#7 Weber or Emelin

#9 Mitera?
#10 Nash?
#11 Mac Bennett? where is Mac playing this year?! (doesn't he have potential a la Gorges?).

Weber as forward on 4th line (and there as insurance for dman position during game)

We still have 7 non-injured defencemen, we're good. Unless we suffer four defense injuries in the next three weeks.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
We still have 7 non-injured defencemen, we're good. Unless we suffer four defense injuries in the next three weeks.
Our injuries haven't started, but...there are 81 left...long season.
The most important season...playoffs.

When we start winning some (especially when we're up by 2 or 3 goals) the opposition will injure and abuse (beat up, cripple,etc) our players. I want to be wrong but it will happen. For example, everytime we were easily beating the Bruins they would stop playing hockey and start beating our players up or injuring or trying to kill them (while Colin Campbell watched/enjoyed and ate lots of popcorn, pizza and burped/farted a lot while drinking lots of coca-cola, laughing at how our Habs were getting killed out there and 'cause we were beating up the Bruins...on the scoreboard).
It would be great to win some games without the opponents injuring our players everytime we win. The positive about the defeat to the Leafs...we weren't injured by their players, although they could have injured our Price (how many times did they fall on Price? I wonder if coach Martin is waiting for an opponent to fall on Price's knee, break it, so that Price can be out for 6 months? and act all surprised like he didn't see it coming).

My fantasy:

Chris Neil type...IN
Tough/rugged dman who can play good hockey (Regehr type)...IN

Desharnais...OUT
Weber...OUT

Moen - Eller - A.Kosts
White - Betts - Chris Neil type

OR
A.Kosts OUT
Tough/rugged forward or dman who can also play good hockey

Where do you find a ''Chris Neil'' type? I don't know...I'm just a fan! I don't get paid the big bucks to find one! (btw, I'm very happy GM Gauthier went to get Campoli without giving up any Draft Picks and acquiring Betts for FREE (surprised no other team claimed him before our Habs?)...very very happy about our GM's recent moves, but we can still improve our team with 1-2 more moves...). Gionta, Eller, Pleks, Gorges, Subban, Price, Cole...they need some protection out there so that they can concentrate on playing hockey and not having to fight (Gorges fighting Malone should never ever happen again, I don't care who but someone else has to fight Malone, maybe Shultz, maybe Conboy, but Gorges is way too important to fight a 6'5 Malone...Gorges' heart is just so darn huge but we need his heart/guts for hockey/the team and not fighting). And expecting Moen and White to fight or take care of that ''business'' everytime, well...that's asking too much. They need help...

Our small players will play bigger with a Chris Neil type.

It's way too ****ing obvious that our team needs a Chris Neil ''type''.
And a if you can get him...a young Regehr ''type'' on D.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old
10-07-2011, 08:07 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Chill out boys. Yea, right now, with Markov out, it looks sketchy. Wait till he comes back in a couple weeks and everything will be okay, even though MArkov isnt physical which is your concern. His presence will change everything back there.
The problem is our season can be over in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't know why people are not excited by the speed, quickness and puck moving skills of our Dmen.
Every single one of them can move the puck from decently well to really well, with the exception of Gill.
They really tore it up offensively last night.

Ok I admit, I didn't see the game last night. How did they look?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Gill/Emelin - Subban
Emelin/Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Diaz
#7 Weber or Emelin

#9 Mitera?
#10 Nash?

What the hell happened to Campoli? I was just watching and turned away to baseball and then he wasn't playing any more?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Tuggy

I thought the defense played fine last night. The Leafs really didn't get many chances but they capitalized on the ones they got. Basically the opposite of what our offense did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What the hell happened to Campoli? I was just watching and turned away to baseball and then he wasn't playing any more?
Fell awkwardly in front of Price almost doing the splits.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

Campoli was near Grabovski tracking him when Campoli himself slid and bent his knee(s) awkwardly while trying to go down smoothly/the proper way...looked like he pulled a groin or hamstring (also what commentator said). From this thread it looks like Campoli will be out for approx. 3 weeks... I'll take it over 2-3 months. 3 weeks is peanuts,imo. Plus we'll have a chance to see Emelin...let's just hope Campoli recovers fast and properly. Iwant him back a 100% instead of rushing back and re-injuring himself a la Markov. Excited to have Campoli.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=37570473&posted=1

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-07-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old
10-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Campoli was near Grabovski tracking him when Campoli himself slid awkwardly and bent his knees while trying to go down the proper way...looked like he pulled a groin or hamstring (also what commentator said). From this thread it looks like Campoli will be out for approx. 3 weeks... I'll take it over 2-3 months. 3 weeks is peanuts,imo. Plus we'll have a chance to see Emelin...let's just hope Campoli recovers fast and properly.

I hardly consider 3 weeks "peanuts" when the defense is already thin on bodies and experience.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

as far as transition goes and generating offense (although we didnt score) they were solid. The only thing I really disliked is the number of times they tried "2 zones" passes to our forwards. Break aways dont happen that often in the NHL, unless you have a clear passing lane, there's no point trying it.

after Campoli was out it kinda stopped, no one from the left side was a puck mover really (Gorge took his spot on the left + Spacek, Gill) and our off D were all on the right side (PK, Weber, Diaz) so...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Campoli was near Grabovski tracking him when Campoli himself slid awkwardly and bent his knees while trying to go down the proper way...looked like he pulled a groin or hamstring (also what commentator said). From this thread it looks like Campoli will be out for approx. 3 weeks... I'll take it over 2-3 months. 3 weeks is peanuts,imo. Plus we'll have a chance to see Emelin...let's just hope Campoli recovers fast and properly.

The problem is, now is when we really need him with Markov out and Diaz and Yemelin still getting up to speed in the NHL. Hope they dress 7 and give Weber ice time back there, I still think JM is not giving him a fair chance.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post

I actually thought they looked pretty good. As the year progresses, I am sure they will become even better and more tough to play against.
Last year, with plenty of slow and aging Dmen, Gill's lack of speed was not as apparent, but with a bunch of fast skaters now on our back end, he looks really, really slow.
PK was our worst D yesterday. Made big mistakes on both goals, and was trying to do too much.

All in all, I am not worried about our Dmen.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I hardly consider 3 weeks "peanuts" when the defense is already thin on bodies and experience.

Waffledave thought by watching CAmpoli's response that Campoli could be out for the season...this post didn't make me happy at all. So this is why 3 weeks is peanuts to me. I wish this injury didn't happen, but...this is also penauts compared to how long all of us are always waiting for Markov.

Waiting 3 weeks for campoli and glad there is an actual timeline for Campoli
VS
Markov's 3 years without playing much and right now we all have to guess like idiots on when he's coming back. Would be great to know...mid November? end of October? end of November? we're just fans...we just pay lots of $$$$ for Hab tickets, jerseys and players' salaries, yet we have no right to know!

I'll take the 3 weeks of Campoli being out (don't like it but was afraid it was much longer).
And I'd rather our Habs get injured now VS right before playoffs or even worse...during playoffs.

I wonder for how long we will enjoy seeing this D lineup? (if ever?!! can all of these dmen stay healthy at the same time for a long period of time?!):
Markov - Emelin
Gill - Subban
Campoli - Gorges
Spacek
Diaz

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old
10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
At least this gives Emelin an opportunity to prove to Martin that he belongs in the line-up to give us some toughness on the back-end.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I miss O'Byrne

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:29 AM
HCH

Anyone who has read my posts knows that I am not big fan of Hall Gill but last night against the Leafs he was one of our better defenseman. As the defense corps stands right now (without Markov or Campoli) it doesn't inspire confidence.

When you compare our blueliners to those on the Leafs, they have three guys (Phaneuf, Schenn and Komisarek) who played a physical game last night. They have five defenseman that are over 6-2 and three guys who are about 215 pounds or better.

On last night's roster, we had one guy over 6-0 tall (two if you really believe that Gorges is 6-1) and one guy over 200 pounds (two if you want to count Spacek but he doesn't play like the 204 pounds he is listed at).

To me, when we signed Campoli it was an indication we were a bit desperate. Campoli doesn't bring a lot of offense, doesn't bring a lot of defense and doesn't bring a lot of toughness to the rink. We already had a handful of those guys and I don't think it was what we needed.

Until this group proves me wrong, I am going to remain skeptical.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
MathMan

We need to be careful not to confuse physicality with defense, and size with ability. Toronto's defense is signficantly weaker than Montreal's, even without Markov.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Offense starts in the back-end.

Let's see if, after the pounding of opposing big forwards, those small so-called quick and speedy puck moving Ds are still quick and speedy puck movers.

Agreed with OP. The D squad got smaller and softer.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Et le But

Our worst defender last night was Subban, who nobody is going to accuse of being soft. Subban was directly responsible for both goals, even if he wasn't the only one to screw up.

We miss Hamrlik to some degree and I hate seeing Gill play as many minutes as he does, but we got to assume Subban won't be that much of a disaster that often. He probably got overly excited starting the season at home.

It doesn't matter if our 5 other defenders were 6'5" each and the baddest mofos in the league, it wouldn't have prevented either goal.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
torero

Actually i find this thread's existence funny.

shots Toronto 18 - 32 Habs

Their should be a Our offense thread !! more than a "our defense" thread !!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Actually i find this thread's existence funny.

shots Toronto 18 - 32 Habs

Their should be a Our offense thread !! more than a "our defense" thread !!

Yeah, if we popped a few of those in, you gotta think confidence and momentum would have changed the game, cammy said after the game that after the first period where they had dominated the chances and couldn't get any in it was actually demoralizing, couple that with the early shorthanded goal in the 2nd , confidence is a big part of any sport, i have faith in this team, a solid veteran leadership group will help us from getting to down on ourselves

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
Yeah, if we popped a few of those in, you gotta think confidence and momentum would have changed the game, cammy said after the game that after the first period where they had dominated the chances and couldn't get any in it was actually demoralizing
You know, after how often this happened last year, you'd think that they would be used to it.

Then again, the "oh ****, here we go again" sentiment is not fun to have at the start of a fresh new season.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Aeneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You know, after how often this happened last year, you'd think that they would be used to it.

Then again, the "oh ****, here we go again" sentiment is not fun to have at the start of a fresh new season.
i agree, i think it that is when it is really beneficial to have a 'game-changing' type player, and not necessarily a steven stamkos or crosby, but a hard working 3rd line guy who provides energy and gets things going, we just need a spark.

and hey we started last year with a loss to the leafs and still had a decent season, i wouldn't worry to much, always have faith !

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:36 AM
habsrule22

the defence was fine last night, they only allowed 18 shots - 2 of which came from the shorthanded goal. Even when Campoli was injured and Weber filled in, Toronto didn t do much.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
baldrick

I have more faith in the defence than the offence,you know,the usual.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
We need to be careful not to confuse physicality with defense, and size with ability. Toronto's defense is signficantly weaker than Montreal's, even without Markov.
People here don't know the difference.
Matter of fact, some people in the media can't even make the difference.

I thought our D played pretty well in general yesterday, and I wouldn't trade it for Toronto's, ever.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote