Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hitting in Elitserien (merged)

Old
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Hybbe

vCash: 500
Hitting in Elitserien (merged)

... would be lynched if he lived in Canada.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13740957.ab

For non-swedes too lazy to use google translate: what he basically suggests in his conclusion is that hitting should be completely taken out of the game in order to avoid serious injuries.

Sometimes I have to be reminded about why I don't read aftonbladet, and Ros does the job quite well.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
KRM

So not only will I not open the article, but completely boycott the paper from now on.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Jonimaus

Doubt he really means that they should ban all hits from the game. I'm more thinking he means, this will always happen, and the only thing one could do to prevent it would be to ban all hits, not that it should be done.

Jonimaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Ribban

It seems like it might be a self correcting problem in a few years anyway.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
It seems like it might be a self correcting problem in a few years anyway.
The exciting hits are basically gone already in the SEL. Now anytime there's a big hit, there's a big uproar and Aftonbladet's writers go nuts.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Peter The Great

Ros is suffering from split personality.

Ros on his twitter account 6/10:
"Avery to SEL. Would be wonderful."

http://twitter.com/#!/Rosenrasande

21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:41 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

Stupid sensationalism.

And who was it that wrote fighting should be allowed and that everything would be a-okay then?

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Ros is suffering from split personality.

Ros on his twitter account 6/10:
"Avery to SEL. Would be wonderful."

http://twitter.com/#!/Rosenrasande

I think most people stopped calling Ros a journalist a long time ago.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
SthlmNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
So not only will I not open the article, but completely boycott the paper from now on.
Welcome aboard.

SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
The exciting hits are basically gone already in the SEL. Now anytime there's a big hit, there's a big uproar and Aftonbladet's writers go nuts.
If you say so (I no longer watch enough SEL to have an educated opinion). But, I believe the # of big hits in the NHL, for example, will decline drastically as well. I can't find the link to a TSN article that I read last season, or maybe offseason, discussing the trend of less "physical penalties," and whether it is a good or bad thing for hockey in general and the NHL in particular. The stats were nicely outlined and illustrated the trends well.

At any rate, as the game is getting faster, the "big" hits are tougher to execute, hence they might jeapordize one's own team, as it more or less means that a defender is now out of position whether he nails the other guy or not.

In Sweden, I honestly feel, that the examples of "scandalous" "molestations" & "assaults" on ice ( ) we see in Swedish hockey today, should tell us that we are not as successful as we should be in teaching our young players to be prepared and absorb checks. Part of it is the larger ice surface, which let's you get away with less attention to head & body positioning, but in general, people are taught to hold on to the puck for too long (keeping possession), which makes them easier targets.

As I watched the NYR - LA game tonight (TiVO), the NBC clowns were discussing the MZA hit from behind and how it most likely will result in a couple of games suspension. They were saying that it wasn't a matter of how hard or soft the hit was, but rather the lack of respect shown by MZA when hitting a guy from behind, with no intent to seperate the opponent from the puck (the puck was nowhere near).

I can't say I disagree with their assessment of MZA's idiotic move (Mike Milbury argues the opposite, which really supports my idea of being on the right track). I mean, why would MZA be suspended only if the other guy gets hurt, but walk away without or with a lesser penalty if the check doesn't result in an injury? That's not "protecting" the players. That's simply utilizing an eye for an eye, or maybe a Crosby for a goon. In that case, scrap all suspensions and bring in the no-skills-goons to have bench clearing brawls all night, every night, to "settle the issues." This might entize Milbury and a handful of other rednecks, but I believe it would be terrible news for the business of hockey.

Checking might very well be more or less gone from all of hockey in just a few years because it yields no benefit then, much like big open ice hits are today just as rare as mid-range backhand shots.

Old
10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Everlasting

They should make all players come togheter for a day and listen to people who suffer from cuncusions so they all know what the effects can be. Its one thing to read about it, and another the hear people who have suffered from it talk about it.
Maybe even do some activites that are related to this or something like that.. like a fieldtrip

Maybe that can change the perspective of some players. And offcourse, diciplinnämnden has to go and the punishments need to be more fearfull. Longer and more expensive.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Chraa

The Bertilsson hit

Found no thread about Simon Bertilssons hit on Jonas Berglund, so I'll start one. Aftonbladet reports that Bertilsson will be suspended for 4 games and get 3 additional games as a fine (will be able to play but won't get payed).

Thoughts about the hit and the suspension? Personally I think it's ridiculous that Bertilsson gets 7(!!!!) games for this hit. It's not blindside, it's not directly to the head and he keeps his elbow down. It is interference though. But otherwise than the interference part (which wouldn't be an issue if Berglund had touched the puck) it's a beauty of a hit.

Meanwhile Ölvestad, a repeat offender, gets 3 games for a flying elbow to the head.

Disciplinnämnden keeps on embarrassing themselves. It's clear that the media and their lynchmob mentality has influenced this decision.

The hits:

and Ölvestads:

Also Renberg crying like this is embarrassing. His Luleå bias couldn't be anymore obvious.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Hybbe

Bertilsson's hit really is borderline. It reminds me a bit of Kronwall's hit on Havlat except Berglund reaches for the puck and puts himself in a very vulnerable position. Seven games is ridiculous imo, but I suppose that Bertilsson could've let up a bit.

Ölvestad's hit looked pretty vicious. A very dangerous play.

I don't have any team affiliation, but I used to like Luleå when I was a kid and Renberg was one of my biggest hockey heroes, but even I can tell his bias from a mile away in this situation.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

I don't think there's anything wrong with the hit itself, it's a great bodycheck, IMO. Berglund just doesn't have the puck and sort of forces his own head into Bertilsson's torso. Should have been one game at the most.

Also, when someone says, "Gotta keep your head up," that's not necessarily someone defending the hit in question, but rather just some safety advice for everyone. Keep your head up, pay attention, and you don't get hit in the ****ing head. The best open-ice hits ARE on players who aren't aware what's going on. I still think those are beautiful. I don't like what's happening in the NHL now, they're removing pretty much all responsibility from the player at the receiving end.

Ölvestad's hit was way more dangerous. He came flying from Luleå's goal to make the hit, and he clearly jumped.

Old
10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
They should make all players come togheter for a day and listen to people who suffer from cuncusions so they all know what the effects can be. Its one thing to read about it, and another the hear people who have suffered from it talk about it.
Maybe even do some activites that are related to this or something like that.. like a fieldtrip

Maybe that can change the perspective of some players. And offcourse, diciplinnämnden has to go and the punishments need to be more fearfull. Longer and more expensive.
... at least they need to do away with the comittee, handing out sanctions based on "feel" and "grey zone."

In their defense though, I think they get too much **** from everybody. If the leagues' management took their responsibility and put together clear documents outlining what infraction yield what sanction, decisions could be made much faster and with more consistency. Without such documents or with limited guidelines in such documents, the results will be thereafter. Nine times out of ten, it seems as if the Swedes see the NHL do something, and immediately they try to mimick it without having the necessary foundation in place, or even the understanding of how to execute the concept of what they're looking at overseas.

Failure to plan is a plan to fail.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
DenmarkHockey29
Rookie User

In hockey you can:

Hit (yes)
hip check (yes)
make a clean hardt hit (yes)
make a hit where you hit the opponents head (NO!)

DenmarkHockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 04:19 AM
Ola

Michael Sundlöv lol

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Petey21

Only in Sweden...

Would this result in a penalty. And I'm not talking about a diving call either...

http://blogg.allehanda.se/therese/fi...de-svanen2.gif

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

LOL was that Silfverberg?

What a joke penalty. The ref sees the whole thing. How the **** can he possibly blow anything but diving?

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Petey21

Yes, that was Silfverberg. I hope for his own good that he won't ever try that whenever he makes it across the pond, as I have a feeling North Americans aren't too impressed by such drama.

Tollefsen got 2 minutes for interference and Silfverberg got nothing, although a diving or misconduct would clearly be in order. And what's not seen in that sequence is that he also remained laying on the ice for quite a while, flapping around as if he had been ran over by a train.

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21 View Post
Only in Sweden...

Would this result in a penalty. And I'm not talking about a diving call either...

http://blogg.allehanda.se/therese/fi...de-svanen2.gif
And only in Sweden would Madsen's check to the head result in nothing. Guess they try to even things out.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Everlasting

Almost everyone or everyone who is responsible for diciplinnämnden and domarkåren should be fired and replaced. Sounds a little harsh but their system doesnt work at all and only makes SEL less attractive.

Its the only way.

Old
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Harks

I think the problem here is there is no consecvences if you hit someone.
Yes you get some games off but if you change the fighting-rule to 5 min major and you know you gonna get hurt you'll think twice when getting an oppertunity. This could be a messure to get some small restraints on this matter.

Sure some of these hits are accidents but I wouldn't like to fend of a guy like Tollefsen if he had the green light.
You nowa'days never see someone jumping the checker after a faul hit like before.
Then you get suspended as long as the one who makes the hit which doesn't make any sense.

^
|
|

Personally I'm all for keeping your head up but you have to show respect for your apponents in some situations.

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Everlasting

Your thoughts are all good but youre missing a BIG problem.

The people who are in charge of these stuff will never do something like that. You see, they will just continue this cirkus like they have always done. They are conservative and moral rtards who rather doing some that will fix that they wont do anything.

Fighting will never be approved in the league as long as they are in charge.
There will never be any real and fair consequences.
Players will continue to getting unfair suspensions.
The league is going in a "hits = bad" direction.
SEL is becoming less attractive.

The system doesnt work and need to be replaced. And the current gen who is in controll are doing nothing to sort this out. And they wont either. Lets get real. They should all get fired.

Another problem is the evolutaionary attitude that so many people have. Yeah, it might have worked to shape our society but it took hundres of freaking years. Revolutionary is the way to go here.

Last edited by Everlasting: 10-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old
11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Hockey hits is the subject on tonights "Debatt" (Swedish debate TV show about issues in society)...