Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

ESPN Preview

Old
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
JesusNPucks

vCash: 500
ESPN Preview

I'm curious what you guys think about this preview, Matthew Barnaby and Barry Melrose with their annual predictions: LINK

Definitely an underdog role this season for the Stars, but I guess that is a good thing. I am optimistic about this season mostly because I think GM Joe is a very shrewd general manager, and I think he makes good decisions and has assembled a balanced and deep team. But, I can't help but wonder if I am blind to what might shape up to be a disastrous season. I guess, as they say, "that is why they play the game." It isn't measured in the preseason and through media predictions.

JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
I'm curious what you guys think about this preview, Matthew Barnaby and Barry Melrose with their annual predictions: LINK

Definitely an underdog role this season for the Stars, but I guess that is a good thing. I am optimistic about this season mostly because I think GM Joe is a very shrewd general manager, and I think he makes good decisions and has assembled a balanced and deep team. But, I can't help but wonder if I am blind to what might shape up to be a disastrous season. I guess, as they say, "that is why they play the game." It isn't measured in the preseason and through media predictions.
The only thing they both have in common is they both sucked at hockey and Melrose was a horrid coach in LA & TB so their predictions mean squat!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Al Core

vCash: 150
I'm not big on trashing media pre-season picks, but as soon as Melrose said we could have got Brayden Schenn or some first round picks for Richards I turned it off. Anyone who was paying any attention to this team at the trade deadline knows that wasn't the case at all. I don't mind people picking the Stars to be a bad team. They just need to have their facts straight.

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
txomisc

I think their predictions are fair. I know alot of my fellow stars fans are praising the increased depth, and while i agree that it exists i dont agree that its all that significant. I dont particularly think Fiddler Dowell and Dvorak are anything special in that regards. This is a team, imo, that is still going to have difficulty getting scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
starsfan4ever

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this video in its entirety.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
I learned long long ago that most of these "experts" don't know what they're talking about when it comes to predicting things about this franchise.

Not saying that I think we'll make the playoffs or be the surprise of the league or something, but even back in the Tippett days, they never gave us the respect that we deserved and continued to pick us to miss the playoffs. Not gonna start listening to them now.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Melrose's hair was green the entire time.

Yea, I'm assuming they really haven't checked out our situation. Schenn for a Richards rental?

I don't even know why I watched that.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Melrose's hair was green the entire time.

Yea, I'm assuming they really haven't checked out our situation. Schenn for a Richards rental?

I don't even know why I watched that.
If he was healthy, I don't think Schenn would have been out of the question. The timing of that concussion screwed us more than anything.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhicksnightmare View Post
If he was healthy, I don't think Schenn would have been out of the question. The timing of that concussion screwed us more than anything.
Oh yea, I totally forgot the Kings were in the race for Richards. Chances are, he would've resigned there, IMO, and I think we might've gotten a tad more.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Two things annoyed me about this video and many other "evaluations", they clearly did not pay attention to the whole Richards debacle this off-season. He refused to be traded plain and simple, and he had no intention of resigning, yet they want to blame Joe because the team could've made the playoffs and he didn't want to bail. How was he suppose to know the team would **** the bed in the last game of the season?

The other thing is the severe lack of Jamie Benn. Many previews mention him, but ones like this where they jump back to Morrow, Ribeiro, and Eriksson make me think they haven't paid attention to the Stars since the last time they made the playoffs.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:00 AM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I think their predictions are fair. I know alot of my fellow stars fans are praising the increased depth, and while i agree that it exists i dont agree that its all that significant. I dont particularly think Fiddler Dowell and Dvorak are anything special in that regards. This is a team, imo, that is still going to have difficulty getting scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines.
Offensively, Fiddler, Dowell and Dvorak aren't really anything to speak of. The big benefit of those guys, IMO, is that they'll take a lot of the PK load off of Ribeiro, Benn, Eriksson, and Morrow.

The other big variable is that we now (hopefully) have a coach who doesn't think he has Partrick Roy in net, and is capable of taking a team with less than 10 HOF'ers to the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I learned long long ago that most of these "experts" don't know what they're talking about when it comes to predicting things about this franchise.

Not saying that I think we'll make the playoffs or be the surprise of the league or something, but even back in the Tippett days, they never gave us the respect that we deserved and continued to pick us to miss the playoffs. Not gonna start listening to them now.
Bingo. They've also picked the Sharkies to go to the SCF and/or win the Cup for like 8 or 9 years straight.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

Agreed, weren't they predicting us in this situation last year even with Richards? Now they say its a deal breaker when it didn't matter that we had him last year.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote