HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After tough exit interview hard summer has paid off for Zuccarello

Old
10-07-2011, 11:46 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
do you think a coach is going to put down one of his young developing players? it's normal for a coach to say that a player who is developing is doing better. of course he's doing better, that doesn't mean he's there yet. last year his defense was horrible and this year it's just bad.

the point of the camps/scrimmages comment i made is that in the preseason games in north america he hasn't looked very good. he's looked borderline but has done nothing to show me that he deserved a spot on the team over avery or weise. in the european games he looked amazing, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the nhl.

i'm not expecting that MZA is going to show up and be well-rounded and great, but the point is i know i'm not alone in thinking he wasn't one of the 12 best forwards in the north american preseason games.
Come on! Torts is a straight shooter, he's brutally honest... He has been critical of his players in interviews in the past and that won't change in the future ... He is praising MZA in the above article and you're equating that to him sugar-coating his opinion for the press? Either Torts is lying in his statements above or your assessment is way off... I'm leaning towards the latter...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:52 PM
district9

that article is far from praise. it's straight shooting, he's not praising MZA in any way. he's just saying that last year he had a glaring hole in his game and this year he's working to fix it.

i still truly think at the end of the day the decision came down to the fact that torts and avery were not on the same page.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:07 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
that article is far from praise. it's straight shooting, he's not praising MZA in any way. he's just saying that last year he had a glaring hole in his game and this year he's working to fix it.

i still truly think at the end of the day the decision came down to the fact that torts and avery were not on the same page.
Far from praise? Did you even read the article and digest what was said? I guess not... I'm not sure why you're bringing up Avery when he's out of the picture now and this thread is about MZA... Maybe you are a big Avery fan and annoyed that MZA earned a spot on the team and Avery is gone? Torts said MZA was one of the best players in the preseason, and that he's impressed with MZA's improvement in the areas that they asked him to work on, and you're going to sit here and say that "he's not praising MZA in any way".... I'm sorry but what on earth are you talking about? What you are suggesting is the complete opposite of what the head coach is stating to be the case....

Quote:
However, Tortorella has heaped praise upon Zuccarello in the preseason, often saying Zuccarello has been one of the best players in training camp and the team's intensive preseason schedule of games. He is impressed with the way in which Zuccarello has handled his second chance.

"He has certainly taken to heart the things we have asked him to work on," Tortorella said. "His skating has improved. He's certainly playing much better away from the puck.

"I just think he has grown up. He's very coachable. I think the way he handled himself last year, knowing that he wasn't ready, went down to the minors and played, played some with us, went back down to the minors; I think he has handled himself the right way in trying to become a better player. It really falls on his shoulders in accepting that responsibility and he has done that."

"He was asking about defensive-zone coverage there," said Tortorella, using that episode as an example of what he is talking about in regard to Zuccarello's continuing evolution.

"For a coach to put a player on the ice more often, it's his play away from the puck (that matters)," Tortorella said. "He has improved that; I can see that in some of the (preseason) games he has played. I'm not getting in his way offensively. He's a good offensive player. It's the other part of the game, in a small building, that we wanted him to work at and he has."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=594480

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-07-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old
10-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The thing I like about this take is that it spits in the face of virtually all the hometown Zuccarello supporters that consider him a born star that simply needs anointing and the rest of us are just too blind to see it.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The thing I like about this take is that it spits in the face of virtually all the hometown Zuccarello supporters that consider him a born star that simply needs anointing and the rest of us are just too blind to see it.
What? If you actually pay attention you will see that most Norwegian posters are quite aware that he needs to work hard to stay with the NYR. His biggest supporters and the majorety of the people writing him into the line up are from NA.
Now, do Norwegians want him to succeed? Hell yeah, but that does not by any means mean that we see him as a star of the NHL.
He has, however, sparked a much needed new found intrest for hockey in Norway, and also brought many new fans to this club.
If that is such a horrible thing, I apologize for that.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:56 PM
district9

because saying a player is working on the things the coach asked him to and saying that he improved in the offseason isn't "praise". "praise" was the reporters word, not torts'. it's simply acknowledging improvement in a player who needs a lot and giving a vote of confidence.

the line mza played on today was virtually invisible except for his own penalty on his first shift.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

My only issues with his game, apparently are what Torts had issue with. Skating, strength, and game away from the puck.

But his character, intelligence, vision, and skill were never a question.

I hope he becomes a star NHL player, because he's infectious. Hard not to like him, and root for him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 12:03 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
because saying a player is working on the things the coach asked him to and saying that he improved in the offseason isn't "praise". "praise" was the reporters word, not torts'. it's simply acknowledging improvement in a player who needs a lot and giving a vote of confidence.
You haven't a clue how to comprehend the article then....