HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Day Staurday Oilers vs Flames

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 01:54 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
On the good side, Salo played a good game. One thing I noticed he's doing better than past season is handling the puck better.

Right there is a problem. I mean there was no flow to last night's game because of Cgy air tight defense. I don't give a s**t if it's the trap or not. The Oilers have to find a way to combat this and right now, they are not. The Senators play in the eastern conference where most team trap and they can score. Granted the Oilers don't have the talent but one reason why the Sens are successful is because they are well coached by Martin and Pearn.

Finally, the sad part is that with the way they played last night, not even Comrie could have helped them.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:12 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
All I am going to say is, we had better DESTROY Calgary.

Not beat them, DESTROY THEM. We are the vastly superior team, and need to prove it. If we can score 6 on Colorado at home, doing it against Calgary shouldn't take a miracle. Merely beating them by a couple wouldn't prove anything.

On a more important note, GO YANKEES!

Loud Mouth is right.
Vastly superior team? Get a clue.

Old
10-26-2003, 06:22 AM
the-rasta-masta

Send a message via MSN to the-rasta-masta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
anyone else find it sick that Iginla skated out when he was announced first star??? he had a good laugh over it
Well, there are a good number of Calgary fans in Edmonton.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:15 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
More experienced? ah, ok.. This is a team thar hasn't made the playoffs is 7 years. This is a team that started out great a few seasons ago and collapsed to missed the playoffs. Listen, the Flames are playing way better hockey than Edmonton right now. They are solid defensively and they are well coached. But more experienced?
Yeah, I think probably the Flames are more experienced. I'm sure the Flames' average age is at least a year or two higher than ours, and probably have on average a season or two more NHL experience. And, although the Oilers have been in the playoffs 6 more times in the past 7 years than the Flames have, how many players from either side have been around for very many of those 7 years? Probably just a couple on either side.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:16 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Finally, the sad part is that with the way they played last night, not even Comrie could have helped them.
Yes, considering the Oilers have given up 16 goals in the past 3 games, I'm pretty sure that Comrie isn't the answer to what's wrong with this team right now.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Hitman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I didn't think Oliwa knew how to do that...

Evidently, neither did Tommy.
I think he stunned everybody. I didn't know that any Flames player knew how to pull a breakaway move like that.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:23 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
And anyway, you don't have to be a Calgary fan to be an Iginla fan. He's got friends and family in Edmonton. He's one of the league's marquee players. He's a great example of what hockey should be on the ice and off it- if you like hockey, how can you not like Iginla?

Coming out during the 3 star selections shows class, *especially* for a guy on the visiting team.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:52 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Lydman

Can someone please tell me what happened? Lydman got a 4-minute highsticking penalty at 20:00 of the first period.

10-26-2003, 08:55 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Can someone please tell me what happened? Lydman got a 4-minute highsticking penalty at 20:00 of the first period.
It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Smyth was fighting for the puck along the boards, went through/around Lydman, and Lydman's stick was up and hit Smyth quite hard in the face. Nothing intentional or anything, but definitely a penalty and I think full value for the double minor.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:30 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Isn't his heritage Belorussian?
Nope.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kresy-...a/message/1993

Old
10-26-2003, 11:39 AM
kruezer

Quote:
More experienced? ah, ok.. This is a team thar hasn't made the playoffs is 7 years. This is a team that started out great a few seasons ago and collapsed to missed the playoffs. Listen, the Flames are playing way better hockey than Edmonton right now. They are solid defensively and they are well coached. But more experienced?
Common misconception,

I'll say this Calgary's defense has just one experienced guy Rhett Warrener, but he's been to the cup finals twice in his career, and has played 64 career playoff games. Leopold, Regehr, Lydman, Gauthier, Ference and Montador all have never played in the playoffs so I'll give you that, but now lets look at the Oiler defense....Bergeron has 1 career game, Brewer has 12, Cross has 47 (has gotten as far as the Conf. Fin.), Feguson has 11, Semenov has 6, Smith has 27 (but has never been out of the first round), Staios has 9
Summing Up Flames have 64 total and the Oilers have 113, Advantage Oilers since all there D have been in PO action, however none have been as far as Warrener has been twice.

Now, looking at forwards, For Calgary Kobasew hasn't been there, Lowry has 101 career games (has played in the Cup finals), Yelle has 111 games has won the cup twice and been in the finals another time, Iginla has just 4, Betts has none, Donovan has 12, Clark has none, Saprykin has none, Conroy has 36, Gelinas has a cup win and been to the finals two other times and a total of 121 career games, Reinprecht has 50 and a cup win, Lombardi has none, Oliwa has 12, McAmmond has 19. For the Oilers this is how it looks.....Chimera has two, Dvorak has 23 and a cup final appearance, Hemsky has 6, Horcoff has 11, Isbister has 14, Stoll has none, Laraque has 21, Moreau has 25, Pisani has 6, Reasoner has 23 (not sure if he got in the 3rd round with St. Loo), Smyth has 44, Torres has none, York has 6.
Overall the Flames have 466 games of PO experience and the Oilers have 181.
Avantage Flames....More cup wins more final appearances and more overall games, I think it's pretty decisive.

For Goalies Salo has 21 and Conklin has none, on the flip side Turek has 21 (including a conference final) and McLennan has 4
Totals - Flames 25, Oilers 21
Advangtage I'll say even since neither of the goalie tandems have been very great at all in the post season.

So looking at the teams overall I'll say we split for Goalies, the Oilers have more in D, and the Flames for forwards. The Total Games comes out like this...Flames 555 and Oilers 315. So lets say after thinking about it we realize that total games don't really mean that much since you get 4 games for being swept in the first round....so look closer....the Oilers have ONE player who has made the cup finals and he made it ONCE and lost, the Flames on the other hand have been there a total of 10 times (not sky high but 9 more times then the Oilers) and have won 4 cups.

I think that it's a common misconception to label the Flames inexperienced, especially when it comes to the PO's since they haven't made it in 7 years....but its not like our team is only players from those teams. Not too mention that Sutter has obviously coached more in the PO's than MacT.

Okay I'm done

Old
10-26-2003, 11:40 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Interesting, all these years I've been thinking wrong, lol Thanks for the heads up.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:42 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Smyth was fighting for the puck along the boards, went through/around Lydman, and Lydman's stick was up and hit Smyth quite hard in the face. Nothing intentional or anything, but definitely a penalty and I think full value for the double minor.
Exactly, definetaly a penalty, I wish Lydman could shoot the puck last night though, all he did was fan I think I saw him get one shot off and it hit the side of the net.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:43 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Yeah, I think probably the Flames are more experienced. I'm sure the Flames' average age is at least a year or two higher than ours, and probably have on average a season or two more NHL experience. And, although the Oilers have been in the playoffs 6 more times in the past 7 years than the Flames have, how many players from either side have been around for very many of those 7 years? Probably just a couple on either side.
Exactly my point, thanks for the back-up OGE.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:45 AM
kruezer

Quote:
On the good side, Salo played a good game. One thing I noticed he's doing better than past season is handling the puck better.

Right there is a problem. I mean there was no flow to last night's game because of Cgy air tight defense. I don't give a s**t if it's the trap or not. The Oilers have to find a way to combat this and right now, they are not. The Senators play in the eastern conference where most team trap and they can score. Granted the Oilers don't have the talent but one reason why the Sens are successful is because they are well coached by Martin and Pearn.

On a side note, I know Perry Pearn's brother, and thats my only connection to the NHL, odd eh?

Old
10-26-2003, 12:54 PM
VO #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Leopold, Regehr, Lydman, Gauthier, Ference and Montador all have never played in the playoffs so I'll give you that
Not true, Ference was awesome a few years ago during the Pens playoff run. I seem to recall Lemieux heaping major praise for him, even though he was still a rookie.

Old
10-26-2003, 01:31 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

all i can say is i was very disappointed with the loss. losing to calgary at home is pathetic but this team is showing me it does not have the parts needed for a successful season. either way too many guys are taking a night off.
question how bad is our penalty killing now?

Old
10-26-2003, 03:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta
oh ok...didnt know he was there to see the other 5 calgary fans

Old
10-26-2003, 03:21 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I appreciate Kreuzer and other Flamer points of view expressed on this thread. IMO the talent gap is closing between the Oilers and Flames. I really like Sutter's approach and initial moves including the Warriner trade. They are playing a very aggressive style beginning from the defense out. The Flamer defense is deep and Robin Regehr continues to develop into a big, mean elite defenseman. As a core, I give the nod to the Flamers.

The other area imo in which the Flamers are also ahead is with Jerome Iginlia, a bonafide elite game breaker (and Oiler killer). Stop Iggy and you often stop the Flamers. Trouble is, you've got to stop Iggy who can beat you with a goal, assist, bodycheck, or scrap. The downside is they have invested 23% of their payroll into Iginila's salary which restricts further personnel move. The Oiler club simply does not have this consistent go-to guy who can score the big clutch goal, a critical attribute for true Cup contenders.

Overall, I believe the Oil still have more overall depth both on the big club and in the system. But again imo the gap is closer than many of us Oiler fans would like.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Hitman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
The other area imo in which the Flamers are also ahead is with Jerome Iginlia, a bonafide elite game breaker (and Oiler killer). Stop Iggy and you often stop the Flamers. Trouble is, you've got to stop Iggy who can beat you with a goal, assist, bodycheck, or scrap. The downside is they have invested 23% of their payroll into Iginila's salary which restricts further personnel move. The Oiler club simply does not have this consistent go-to guy who can score the big clutch goal, a critical attribute for true Cup contenders.
But where Edmonton beats Calgary by an overwhelming margin is secondary scoring. The Flames rely on Iginla too much so if he gets shut down, it seems as if the team just gives up whereas the Oilers have always gotten good contribution from 5 or 6 players when they need it.

I think that if the Flames do make the playoffs in my lifetime again, Iginla can take thm far. Afterall, he thrives in pressure situations.

Old
10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO #23
Not true, Ference was awesome a few years ago during the Pens playoff run. I seem to recall Lemieux heaping major praise for him, even though he was still a rookie.
Good catch, thanks VO, I sure forget he was already up with P-burgh by then.

Closed Thread