HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Capitals Roster Speculation, Thoughts, & Expectations (Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
It begins.

Next will be Perreault in and Johansson scratched I suspect.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
“No, I’m not really nervous because I’m not playing,” Vokoun said. “Whatever, you know. Supposedly I’m going to play the next game.”
Sigh.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Sigh.
Agreed.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
txpd

sigh...that could mean many things.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Whatever...you know.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Am I one of the few who actively expected Neuvirth to get opening night?

He played better than Vokoun in the preseason so there's that (plus Vokoun is a slow starter). He's an established part of the team with a future here, so if there's any sentimentality to the home opener he's a bigger part of it. And even if you think Vokoun will give you the better performance at this point in the season, why use him on opening night vs. the Canes when you face two vastly better teams in the Bolts and Pens immediately afterwards?

This seemed like an easy call to me.

Now, as to whether BB is being too hush-hush about his plans even to the goalies themselves...

Old
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't mind the decision but the optics just plain stink. Always some drama going on.

Old
10-07-2011, 12:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

As long as Vokoun is plays 50+ and is the playoff starter, I don't care who starts Saturday.

That said, the Hershey nepotism really grinds my gears at times.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
As long as Vokoun is plays 50+ and is the playoff starter, I don't care who starts Saturday.

That said, the Hershey nepotism really grinds my gears at times.
I'm admittedly biased as I think Neuvirth's upside is platoon tweener, but I really hope Vokoun makes it to 60+ starts.

He can handle it, he's used to it, and there's no compelling reason for him not to.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm admittedly biased as I think Neuvirth's upside is platoon tweener, but I really hope Vokoun makes it to 60+ starts.

He can handle it, he's used to it, and there's no compelling reason for him not to.
There's no doubt in my mind Vokoun can handle 60+, but at his age, without ever having an extended playoff run, I'd rather save him a bit. 10 additional games from Neuvirth (or Holtby) won't hurt.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:49 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That, and why not give Neuvirth (or Holtby) whatever development you can spare. Assuming that those extra 10 games don't have serious playoff implications (that's not a difference of 10 wins no matter who you start) what good does it do to give the extra playing time to someone you likely won't be able to bring back?

Old
10-07-2011, 01:51 PM
TRASHCAT

You got this guy for a reason. Play him.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post

He played better than Vokoun in the preseason so there's that (plus Vokoun is a slow starter). He's an established part of the team with a future here, so if there's any sentimentality to the home opener he's a bigger part of it. And even if you think Vokoun will give you the better performance at this point in the season, why use him on opening night vs. the Canes when you face two vastly better teams in the Bolts and Pens immediately afterwards?

Now, as to whether BB is being too hush-hush about his plans even to the goalies themselves...
Yeah, Neuvirth was better than Vokoun in exhibition and doesn't he play well vs. the Canes?

I'm more concerned about the perpetual void at 2nd line C which has been a greater factor in April than goaltending.

Old
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Time for an incredibly premature thought. What kind of return could we get for Vokoun at the deadline if Neuvy is playing lights out? Clears some salary to help bring in other players and either secures us more picks/prospects (aka TDL currency) or perhaps a roster player.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Time for an incredibly premature thought. What kind of return could we get for Vokoun at the deadline if Neuvy is playing lights out? Clears some salary to help bring in other players and either secures us more picks/prospects (aka TDL currency) or perhaps a roster player.
Goalie rentals never get great returns, but I mean there are crazier ideas out there. I don't think it would ever happen because if nothing else Vokoun would give them better depth than pretty much anyone else though.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Not that I would like to see that happen. And I think it would be a bad decision for the organization. It may hurt future vets taking a pay cut for a cup run. That being said I think there would be a good market for him. Seeing how easy he will in under the salary cap.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Not that I would like to see that happen. And I think it would be a bad decision for the organization. It may hurt future vets taking a pay cut for a cup run. That being said I think there would be a good market for him. Seeing how easy he will in under the salary cap.
Barring injury, I don't know how strong the market will be for him. Obviously things could change as the season goes along, but what contenders are in serious need of a netminder? Maybe Columbus if Mason continues to falter. Or if the Isles are in the hunt for a playoff berth but Montoya/Nabokov don't play well. Doubt NJ slaps Marty in the face by bringing in a netminder like Vokoun. Best chance for a stong market would be if someone like Hiller, Crawford, Howard, or Price gets hurt.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
txpd

if vokoun had become the backup? not much. thats not even worth thinking about.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Frankly, I don't think any 10 game stretch this season will have serious playoff implications. I see Tampa regressing some and the Caps improving.

Caps will win the SE by 10-20 points.

On Vokoun at the deadline: they're not trading him, regardless of Neuvirth's play. He's not eating much cap space, and provides, at worst, a reliable veteran backup.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:28 PM
txpd

yes. i think there is just too much being read into little things when the season hasnt even started yet.

mcphee says he got hamrlik to play with green. schultz skates with green in pre season and all of a sudden hamrlik is really with wideman. looks like its green and hamrlik to start the season.

brouwer and ward played with ov in pre season. knuble starts the season with the job.

boudreau says vokoun is the #1 goalie and because neuvirth gets the first game we start with the what if's with vokoun. didnt neuvirth play the first game last season and brent johnson the season before that?

Old
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

If they trade Vokoun, the only NHL-ready backup is Holtby; wouldn't it waste a year of his ELC to keep him up for every game after the deadline?

Old
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Perfectly fine with Neuvy tomorrow if the plan is to start Vokoun on Monday and Thursday in probable tougher games against Tampa and Pittsburgh, but Vokoun's quote reads with some attitude and bitterness ... I hope from his perspective he's not going to be any sort of locker room problem or scared of earning his starts (good as he has been for years, he's a n00b in town and the best goalie should always play); OTOH I hope from the coaching/management perspective they haven't given the guy reason to be pissed off (not saying he is), e.g. Thursday: "you're starting", Friday: "you're the backup."

Could be nothing, I'd like to hear the interview rather than read it.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
txpd

i think that is just the way vokoun speaks english. i wouldnt read too much into it.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post

I don't think many expect Vokoun to struggle in preseason. Had he not struggled, he would have gotten the nod.

But what you're saying is also true IMO. They're not very likely to burn any bridges with Neuvy this year. He's the remaining NHL goalie with tenure in the organization. He deserves the home start as much as anyone.

Old
10-07-2011, 04:49 PM
txpd

who knows. its been pointed out that after carolina the caps play tampa bay and pittsburgh next week. they didnt play a game this week. if you expect vokoun to play the two rivalry games(after playing in florida, you'd think he would be jacked to play tampa), if neuvirth doesnt play the first game, its at least two weeks between games for neuvirth.

there are all kinds of good reasons why boudreau has chosen this. i dont see a reason to get all freaky. if neuvirth plays the first three? then its worth a conversation.

if neuvirth goes SO v Carolina....make him watch game two anyway?

Closed Thread