HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Artem Anisimov: Where do you rank him?

Old
10-07-2011, 12:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Anisimov is already one of the above-average defensive forwards in the league. He's a terrific third line center. I'd rather have Stepan be the 2nd line center eventually.

The problem is it's very difficult to predict what happens in the future because I believe the Rangers, over the course of the next 3-4 years, will probably make 2 major roster moves, either through trade, free agency, or both. One will involve getting a defenseman and one will involve getting a winger. And players of significance will have to be moved in each deal. I think eventually, Boyle is definitely traded, and one of Dubinsky/Kreider/Miller is traded as well. I think there is a chance one of Anisimov or Stepan could be traded, as well, but not nearly as high.

I'm basing this on what I believe the projections are with some of the integral prospects in the organization. I think the Rangers are interested in bringing more of a Swedish flavor to the roster (a decision I'm firmly behind), and the simple fact is, they might have to make room on the LW for it. In turn, they have a very nice piece or, more likely, combo of pieces to deal to upgrade. If these type of deals happen, it's entirely possible they'll choose to deal the older player at the position because they may be confident that some of the younger prospects can replace them at a cheaper cost.

This is what I'd like to see and think we will see in a 2-3 seasons, working under the assumption that Gaborik is going to be a 35-45 goal scoring threat every season playing alongside Richards and Dubinsky or a better LW. Also, I'm very high on Fasth. Probably higher than most, but I think he's a great prospect with 2nd line, 25-30 goal potential.

Dubinsky/Kreider/better LW acquired VIA trade-Richards-Gaborik
Fasth-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov/Miller-MZA
Rupp/prospect-Lindberg-Prust

Staal-UFA/acquired VIA trade (Either a very good offensive defenseman or an outstanding overall defenseman like Suter)
McDonagh/Girardi-Sauer
Erixon-McIlrath/Kundratek/Valentenko/another prospect

I think Boyle and either Girardi or McDonagh are going to be traded. Not because the team doesn't like them (or because I don't like them, for that matter). I just think the cap issues and the team needs on the ice, combined with the state of the prospect pool, is going to result in circumstances that find the Rangers needing to make moves, and I think these are guys who are the most likely to be moved in an effort to upgrade. They won't be the only ones, but then it's tougher to tell. I'd put all of the following in the mix to be potential trade bait: Dubinsky, Kreider, Miller, Stepan, Anisimov, Thomas, MZA, McIlrath.

Alternatively, Gaborik improves but doesn't prove to be the player the Rangers need him to be (or flat out stinks, which is less likely), and the Rangers cut ties with him either VIA trade or when his deal ends. Replace him with another UFA, trade for a top RW, or don't trade one of those players mentioned above. Instead, they could just choose to not have that top scoring winger, but have four lines worth of very solid all-around players with 20-30 goal potential.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 10-07-2011 at 12:51 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's the way I see it in the future.

If everything pans out:

Wolski/MZA/UFA/Me - Richards - Gabby
Kreider - Stepan - Miller
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan

You don't have a true 2nd or 3rd line. You rotate them with equal ice time. But you always put them against the best players of the other team.

No way Miller is a second liner before Gaborik's contract ends.

It would mean he becomes a second liner by the age of 20. No way. If he is a second liner at 20, he will become a Hall of Famer by 25, whuch I dont see happening.

Could Gabby be resigned? Possible, but i doubt it. Here is a guy who has had injury problems his whole career. I dont want Gaborik here when he is approaching his mid-30.

Hopefully either Thomas or Fasth develops into a 30 goal scorer in 3 years so we could replace Gaborik inexpensively from within. But I suspect we may need to sign someone.

Dubinsky - Brad - UFA
Kreider/MZA - Stepan - Fasth/Thomas
Boyle - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin/Bourque - Lindberg - Miller
(The fighter would be on defense in the form if McIlrath.)

I think this is a more reasonable projwction for our lineup 3 years from now.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Oh and we need to draft a few more right wings with offense potential. I really hope we draft a scoring right winger in the first round next year.

Gaborik will leave in 2014, if not before then.

Callahan will also be a free agent the same year. He will be close to 30 and considering his size and style of play, i am nit convinced he can continue to be a second liner into his 30s. In his next contract, he will have to be moved to third line duty.

So who will play right wing on the first two lines? If we are lucky, maybe Fasth and Thomas both become top-6 forwards. But ehat if we are not lucky? Can we really rely on 100% success?

Hope we can acquire a few right wings in the draft and via trade.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:30 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Oh and we need to draft a few more right wings with offense potential. I really hope we draft a scoring right winger in the first round next year.

Gaborik will leave in 2014, if not before then.

Callahan will also be a free agent the same year. He will be close to 30 and considering his size and style of play, i am nit convinced he can continue to be a second liner into his 30s. In his next contract, he will have to be moved to third line duty.

So who will play right wing on the first two lines? If we are lucky, maybe Fasth and Thomas both become top-6 forwards. But ehat if we are not lucky? Can we really rely on 100% success?

Hope we can acquire a few right wings in the draft and via trade.
There's also MZA to keep in mind, too.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:18 AM
richardsequalscup*

I think Joe said it best. This kid hasn't even put on muscle yet. When he does, he's going to be a heck of a player. I personally, love Bolland as a player. He turned the Vancouver series around for Chicago. However, I don't like his contract. Anisimov has incredible upside. If he packs on that muscle that he is lacking, he could be a 1A type of center.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I've always envisioned him as a guy with top-end 2nd line offensive skills, i.e. 55-60 points, but he didn't have the speed to make effective use of them at the NHL level. Hence he was more likely to end up as a 45 point shutdown center on the 3rd line.

However, with each game he just gets better and more confident with the puck. If he can maintain a role on the 2nd line and get some PP time, he's poised for a big jump in production. Stepan certainly has some competition if he wants to make the jump into the top-six.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I've always envisioned him as a guy with top-end 2nd line offensive skills, i.e. 55-60 points, but he didn't have the speed to make effective use of them at the NHL level. Hence he was more likely to end up as a 45 point shutdown center on the 3rd line.

However, with each game he just gets better and more confident with the puck. If he can maintain a role on the 2nd line and get some PP time, he's poised for a big jump in production. Stepan certainly has some competition if he wants to make the jump into the top-six.
Agreed. The funny thing is, I have no idea how to answer the question that the OP posed in the title. He could be a really good 3rd line center... and he could even become a solid, respectable 1st line center. He'll never be a Crosby and he'll never be a Betts, but he could fall literally anywhere in the middle. We'll know a lot more this time next year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Ovens

Quote:
That's the way I see it in the future.

If everything pans out:

Wolski/MZA/UFA/Me - Richards - Gabby
Kreider - Stepan - Miller
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan

You don't have a true 2nd or 3rd line. You rotate them with equal ice time. But you always put them against the best players of the other team.
I'm a little confused, I assumed the thread was about Anisimov, but it seems more like a you are using it as a vehicle to push your opinions that Stepen needs to be 2nd line center, this has been discussed much in other threads over the course of the off season.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed. The funny thing is, I have no idea how to answer the question that the OP posed in the title. He could be a really good 3rd line center... and he could even become a solid, respectable 1st line center. He'll never be a Crosby and he'll never be a Betts, but he could fall literally anywhere in the middle. We'll know a lot more this time next year.
I agree, it's tough to put a label on him at this point. Once you think you have him pegged, he just takes his game to another level.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
it'll be a VERY long time before a line of kreider-step-miller play above dubi-aa-cally. Let me reiterate VERYYYYY long time
You know what the word "future" means, right?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
I'm a little confused, I assumed the thread was about Anisimov, but it seems more like a you are using it as a vehicle to push your opinions that Stepen needs to be 2nd line center, this has been discussed much in other threads over the course of the off season.
Uh, to push what opinions? I was stating that is how I rank him. What the hell are you talking about? What an inane comment.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
No way Miller is a second liner before Gaborik's contract ends.

It would mean he becomes a second liner by the age of 20. No way. If he is a second liner at 20, he will become a Hall of Famer by 25, whuch I dont see happening.

Could Gabby be resigned? Possible, but i doubt it. Here is a guy who has had injury problems his whole career. I dont want Gaborik here when he is approaching his mid-30.

Hopefully either Thomas or Fasth develops into a 30 goal scorer in 3 years so we could replace Gaborik inexpensively from within. But I suspect we may need to sign someone.

Dubinsky - Brad - UFA
Kreider/MZA - Stepan - Fasth/Thomas
Boyle - Anisimov - Callahan
Hagelin/Bourque - Lindberg - Miller
(The fighter would be on defense in the form if McIlrath.)

I think this is a more reasonable projwction for our lineup 3 years from now.
We won't know until we watch Miller develop. Also, I think Gabby not being re-signed is not an assumption to make as of right now.

Old
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
skroob**

All of a sudden, our center spot looks great.

Richards is an above-average 1C. Stepan looks like he can be an above average 2C. Arty is better than most 3Cs. Boyle is better than almost all 4Cs.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
He's a bawse. That's all we need to know, he's totally underrated among NYR fans and the NHL IMO. But he has another level of play we haven't seen yet, I still think 50+ is a good point projection for him.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
bernmeister

AA is strong defensively already, but his D prowess is not one dimensional; he has upside potential on offense.

Fair and open competition is in order, but expect AA's superior physical skills to outpace any adviances by Stepan on intangibles, hockey sense, etc. until both get old enough and start to break down. AA will also learn and get smarter with experience.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Uh, to push what opinions? I was stating that is how I rank him. What the hell are you talking about? What an inane comment.
erm like..."Basically. But I think that he's an IDEAL 3rd line center whereas Stepan is an IDEAL 2nd line center. Eventually, once Stepan gets some more seasoning, I think we see that transition begin".

Old
10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Ovens

Quote:
We won't know until we watch Miller develop. Also, I think Gabby not being re-signed is not an assumption to make as of right now.
We also won't know until we watch Stepan develop.

Old
10-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
erm like..."Basically. But I think that he's an IDEAL 3rd line center whereas Stepan is an IDEAL 2nd line center. Eventually, once Stepan gets some more seasoning, I think we see that transition begin".
It's my ****ing opinion, son. I'm not trying to press it on anyone. I'm simply saying what I feel. Calm yourself. Don't sit here and tell me that I am pushing an opinion on anyone, here.

Last edited by Bird Law: 10-07-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Ovens

Quote:
It's my ****ing opinion, son. I'm not trying to press it on anyone. I'm simply saying what I feel. Calm yourself. Don't sit here and tell me that I am pushing an opinion on anyone, here.
Your calmness stands out.

Old
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Your calmness stands out.
I was extremely calm when I typed that. Just because I use stern language does not have anything to do with my nature at the time of typing.

Anything else you want to "add" to this discussion?

Old
10-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Nich

he is my fav Ranger, and has been since he got called up to the big club. I love his underrated defensive skills, and I really think he will surprise people with his O eventually. I mean he is only 23 years-old

That being said, as far as 3rd line centers, he is top 5 in the league.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
he is my fav Ranger, and has been since he got called up to the big club. I love his underrated defensive skills, and I really think he will surprise people with his O eventually. I mean he is only 23 years-old

That being said, as far as 3rd line centers, he is top 5 in the league.
Agreed

Old
10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
It's funny how defensive you get over your opinion, seems to be a common theme through a lot of your posts from what I've been reading.

As far as AA is concerned, he is a quiet, unassuming solid C with very solid defense and showing flashes of brilliance with that wicked wristshot of his. Once he finds consistency in his offensive game he will begin to shine

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
It's funny how defensive you get over your opinion, seems to be a common theme through a lot of your posts from what I've been reading.

And you are...?

Old
10-08-2011, 04:34 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Micro/macro seconds away from very big plays so far. 80 games left, it will come!!!

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote