HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How bad would it have to get this season...

Old
10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Is your life really that black and white? You only go to extremes on either side? I'm asking you and your fellow knee jerk arm chair gms to become a little more levelheaded. ITS ONE GAME, MY GOD. Did you know half the teams in the nhl lose game 1? I know it seems like its only us but its actually happens to a lot of teams. Give it a few more games please. You know the leafs started 4-0 last year? So much for that.
it's just too much for some

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Relax, it's only the regular season.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

this is why we get a bad rep as habs fans. we ***** and moan when we are one game into the season.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
For both JM & PG to be fired?

Are they just entrenched in their positions? Doesnt matter what happens? What is the likelyhood they would be removed during a season??
One thing I've learned from my time on these boards is that the habs tend to hire the most incompetent coaches and general managers in the history of the nhl. That is, if the fans are to be believed.

The fact of the matter is that that as long as the players are buying what the coaches are selling, and as long as the team is meeting its internal goals, then it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, they are safe.

From a pure on-ice point of view, I think the habs have not only met but exceeded expectations each year since martin took over based on their given roster. I guess its debatable in 2011 (I think they did) but they certainly exceeded expectations in 2010.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:42 PM
peate
Good grief!

Guy Carbonneau >>> Jacques Martin. Even Gainey thought so. He fired him under pressure.

He would do wonders with this team. JM is asleep at the wheel.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Guy Carbonneau >>> Jacques Martin. Even Gainey thought so. He fired him under pressure.

He would do wonders with this team. JM is asleep at the wheel.
Is that why Carbo has been unable to find a coaching job since the Habs, while Martin has been able to find NHL employment every season since 1994? 1987, every you include a season as head coach in the AHL?

If you take a look at shift charts, you'll find that JM has been much better at getting favorable matchups than GC. The only thing Carbo did better was hollering at referees. I don't think that was worth too many wins.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:01 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
I used to be on this fire Martin bandwagon, but the last two playoff years have sold me. He won't get fired unless the Habs finish in lottery pick territory.
If he can manage that lottery pick they should give him an extension.(5 yrs.Min.)With a pick like that the Habs are set for a decade.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Is that why Carbo has been unable to find a coaching job since the Habs, while Martin has been able to find NHL employment every season since 1994? 1987, every you include a season as head coach in the AHL?

If you take a look at shift charts, you'll find that JM has been much better at getting favorable matchups than GC. The only thing Carbo did better was hollering at referees. I don't think that was worth too many wins.
Don't forget Carboneau's incredible talent for playing his bad players to much (like Kostopolus) and his good players too little (like Tanguay) and making sure every scoring line had a bottom six plug.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:07 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Don't forget Carboneau's incredible talent for playing his bad players to much (like Kostopolus) and his good players too little (like Tanguay) and making sure every scoring line had a bottom six plug.
He won the Eastern conference with an arguably lesser team than we have now. He showed some emotion behind the bench and he was a rookie coach. Anyways, we're stuck with Martin. Let's just hope for the best.

Go Habs Go

Old
10-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
He won the Eastern conference with an arguably lesser team than we have now. He showed some emotion behind the bench and he was a rookie coach. Anyways, we're stuck with Martin. Let's just hope for the best.

Go Habs Go
They had a massive run of luck that season in terms of both injuries, shooting percentage and competition for place in the standings. Most importantly they went on a huge run on power play scoring which elevated a mediocre 5 on 5 team to the top. The 8th place team the year after was much better 5 on 5 but had worse goaltending, not as much luck on the power play and injury issues so collapsed. That doesn't speak to good coaching, it speaks to a guy that got lucky once.

They were basically the opposite of last year's team that had more than its fair share of bad shooting luck and missed Markov for the entire season.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:35 PM
TheWhiteIdea

Anyone wanna bet this is JM last coaching gig in the NHL?

He cant be fired quickly enough for my liking.

TheWhiteIdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
They had a massive run of luck that season in terms of both injuries, shooting percentage and competition for place in the standings. Most importantly they went on a huge run on power play scoring which elevated a mediocre 5 on 5 team to the top. The 8th place team the year after was much better 5 on 5 but had worse goaltending, not as much luck on the power play and injury issues so collapsed. That doesn't speak to good coaching, it speaks to a guy that got lucky once.

They were basically the opposite of last year's team that had more than its fair share of bad shooting luck and missed Markov for the entire season.
OK. Answer this. Who would you rather have behind the bench today. Carbo or Martin?

Old
10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
this is why we get a bad rep as habs fans. we ***** and moan when we are one game into the season.
Partially true but all the Habs I know personally were not a fan of the Martin hiring to begin with. Wich is why when we see a guy making 6 million this year and a cap hit of 4.5 million not play a regular shift on the top two lines and not get any PP time over guys like Desharnais and Darche we see something wrong!

Martin has disappointed game in game out! He shows no creativity in his game plan and doesn't allow his talented players to play their game! He finally gets some size with skill to play with PLekanec and he plays him on the third line!

Martin sucks and always will....
Montreal will never be contenders with him at the helm! The game has passed him by.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
OK. Answer this. Who would you rather have behind the bench today. Carbo or Martin?
Carbo....hands down!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Partially true but all the Habs I know personally were not a fan of the Martin hiring to begin with. Wich is why when we see a guy making 6 million this year and a cap hit of 4.5 million not play a regular shift on the top two lines and not get any PP time over guys like Desharnais and Darche we see something wrong!

Martin has disappointed game in game out! He shows no creativity in his game plan and doesn't allow his talented players to play their game! He finally gets some size with skill to play with PLekanec and he plays him on the third line!

Martin sucks and always will....
Montreal will never be contenders with him at the helm! The game has passed him by.
Do you really want a coach to take salary into consideration when deciding how to use players? I don't.

Desharnais is a center, he moved up in the PP lineup when Plekanec moved to the blue line. His PP ice time has nothing to do with Cole's (unless you want Cole playing center).

Cole has never been much of an asset on the PP, he has always been an even strength scorer. Last night he played 13:34 at ES - Desharnais and Darche each played less than 12 minutes at ES.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
TheBuriedHab

Wow, people really forget how bad we were in Carbos final season. Our Defensive system was laughable.
Oh wait but but but he yelled at refs......EMOTION YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
sammy d

What is wrong with some of you people? Martin is doing fine with the talent he has, he has a system and it works for the most part, see beating the Pens and Caps in the playoffs. This team does not have the talent right now to win a cup..period. So if this team or any other does not make the finals in say a 3 year span the coach is an idiot? Well then I guess idiots are coaching 25 or so other teams. So he doesn't play Cole on the 2nd line..idiot. Believe it or not I would agree with his assessment of talent over most of the 20 year old arm chair gm's on this site who wouldn't know what a puck feels like unless it hit them in the arse and whose best comment a lot of the time is " FIRE MARTIN...DUH".

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Carbo....hands down!
Oh for crying out loud. JM may not be my style of coach but he knows what he's doing.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
What is wrong with some of you people? Martin is doing fine with the talent he has, he has a system and it works for the most part, see beating the Pens and Caps in the playoffs. This team does not have the talent right now to win a cup..period. So if this team or any other does not make the finals in say a 3 year span the coach is an idiot? Well then I guess idiots are coaching 25 or so other teams. So he doesn't play Cole on the 2nd line..idiot. Believe it or not I would agree with his assessment of talent over most of the 20 year old arm chair gm's on this site who wouldn't know what a puck feels like unless it hit them in the arse and whose best comment a lot of the time is " FIRE MARTIN...DUH".
OK. Fire Gauthier as well.

As far as the choice between Carbo and Martin...........neither. They are both inept for various reasons but inept all the same.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
holyhabs87

Must win on Sunday or else no chance we can overcome a 0-2 start with only 80 games remaining to make the playoffs.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Must win on Sunday or else no chance we can overcome a 0-2 start with only 80 games remaining to make the playoffs.
lol

Its going to be a real tough game though. It might end up being the toughest game of the season, really. Should be an emotional one. The only downside of the habs playing the jets is that I wont be able to root for the jets

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:41 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
1 game or not - no one is going to convince me that a Boucher-Yzerman combo would not be better for this organization.

I didn't like JM-PG in Ottawa and I don't like them here.
Tampa had a good showing last year, with almost all players picked/ acquired before Stevie Y got there.

There is zero evidence so far that Yzerman is a better GM than PG, and it is absurd to state otherwise.

Boucher had tremendous skill to work with and yes, did a very good job. But he has coached one year in the NHL. One year.

There is zero evidence so far that Boucher is a better coach than JM. Perhaps he is, but until it is proven over a reasonable time, it is absurd to state otherwise.

Your statement above is utterly baseless. Why do you post such statements?

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Relax, it's only the regular season.
Hee hee. That was strong dude. I'll have to remember the next one: 'Relax, it's only the playoffs'

Relax, it's only the Olympics.

Relax, it's only Nuclear war.

Relax, it's only Anthrax.

This could catch on.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Carbo is so good that he has no job in the nhl while Martim has over 1000 games coached and IIRC over 600 wins.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Hee hee. That was strong dude. I'll have to remember the next one: 'Relax, it's only the playoffs'

Relax, it's only the Olympics.

Relax, it's only Nuclear war.

Relax, it's only Anthrax.

This could catch on.
Dude relax, it's only hfboards.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote