HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What to do with Koivu ?

View Poll Results: What the habs should do with Saku ?
Put him on the first line center with Ribeiro and Zednik 21 37.50%
Put him on the second line center with Ryder and Audette 24 42.86%
Put him on wings with Rib and Zed 4 7.14%
Trade him 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Maithz

vCash:
What to do with Koivu ?

What the habs should do you with Saku ?

Old
10-25-2003, 08:37 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Trade him, no.

Ease him into the line up and let Julien find him a spot, Koivu isn't the type of player who demands 1st line and who he will and who he won't play with.

Lines always change, and the Ward - Koivu - Begin line sounds good to me right now. I think you will see Ryder and Audette with Koivu on the PP and eventually full-time.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Nyclaus

None of the above

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder ....and screw Audette

Old
10-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Howie Morenz

Perreault-Koivu-Ryder. These 2 guys need a setup man. Plus your not touching the other lines. Just get rid of Donald.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:06 PM
theo6060

What is with all these people who mention trading Saku? He's the heart of the team. I don't see any justification in trading our star player who's in the prime of his career and is the captain of the team. Call me crazy, but I would not even consider trading him any time soon.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:23 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
What to do with Koivu?

How about what to do with the Montreal media? Koivu is the man. He instantly makes Montreal a better hockey team, and he is the image of the team. In fact, he is everything a Montreal Canadien should be.

I love Ribeiro. Perreault is fine. But, Saku is the man, and for anyone that would rather see the previous two centreman over Saku Koivu, you're obviously not following the team for hockey reasons.

Ryder - Koivu - Perreault : Two thirds of the teams snipers with the teams best forward. Ideally, it would be Ryder - Koivu - Zednik, but Perreault and Ribeiro alongside each other could be a recipe for disaster.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Medicine Twin

Eventually, I'd like to see this... this year I mean... when all are healthy...

Ryder - Koivu - Audette
Hossa - Ribiero - Zednik
Bulis - Perreault - Sundstrom
Kilger - Juneau - Ward

Dackell/Begin, Langdon

Old
10-25-2003, 01:33 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
None of the above

I second that motion.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
None of the above

thats what I would like to see too

Old
10-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Medicine Twin

We always need a whipping boy... this year it's Audette I see. IMO, he's really no worse than Ribs and Perreault. They're all small, soft, slow, one-dimensional players who shouldn't be here 2 years down the road.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Koivu can play RW ?

Ryder-Perrault-Koivu

sent Audette back to Hamilton . He dumped the puck tonight on the PP and he has take dumb penalty , again .

Old
10-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
We always need a whipping boy... this year it's Audette I see. IMO, he's really no worse than Ribs and Perreault. They're all small, soft, slow, one-dimensional players who shouldn't be here 2 years down the road.
Audette was the whipping boy last year as well, so that point is moot

Audette is playing afraid, and cannot receive a pass and play a long the boards. He is not doing anything while on the ice, and he really should be bought out. Its a lot of money, but he is basically wasting a roster spot. At the very least Ribeiro, especially Ribeiro have played decently.

And again, tonight showed how much this team misses Koivu. The big games truly expose the need for Koivu.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Koivu can play RW ?

Ryder-Perrault-Koivu

sent Audette back to Hamilton . He dumped the puck tonight on the PP and he has take dumb penalty , again .
That's also what I'd do. Perreault on the wing is a pipe dream. It has been tried before and it didn't work. Perreault just doesn't have the speed to be a winger. Plus it takes away one of Perreault's only 2 abilities faceoffs. Just replace Audette by Koivu .. and that line instantly becomes WAY better.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:30 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Koivu can play RW ?

Ryder-Perrault-Koivu

i think that line will work well too.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:52 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Audette was the whipping boy last year as well, so that point is moot

Audette is playing afraid, and cannot receive a pass and play a long the boards. He is not doing anything while on the ice, and he really should be bought out. Its a lot of money, but he is basically wasting a roster spot. At the very least Ribeiro, especially Ribeiro have played decently.

And again, tonight showed how much this team misses Koivu. The big games truly expose the need for Koivu.
Yeah, i am also sick of this guy.....big contract, small, soft and afraid to go in the corners to get the puck....Rierbio is much better than him for sure. As for Koivu, we sure can use him back next week for sure.......this team needs him especially against the top teams like Ottawa, and Philly who we play on Monday. It is wise not to take any chances with Koivu....in a way I am happy he did not play tonight, because even if he was in the lineup....some critics who know little about hockey would say the chemistry is ruined now

Old
10-25-2003, 06:37 PM
David

Quote:
None of the above

I like this as well. Koivu is our best player and as well as Ribs is playing, he was sorely missed today.

What a frustrating game!

Old
10-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
....some critics who know little about hockey would say the chemistry is ruined now
Sadly that would be the argument some people would use if Koivu returned tonight with the same outcome. Its ridiculous, but I can't believe people think that he should come back and be playing with guys like Ward and Sundstrom because the team is playing okay - not great, just okay. There are two lines on this team that have anything remotely close to chemistry, the checking line and Ribeiro's line, the rest are a mismatch of players who can't be counted on to generate any sort of consistent play. As sad as this may seem, it would be better if Montreal was losing when Koivu returns because it would kill another potential story that some montreal faithful could eat up.

Montreals best forwards, including current play, are Koivu, Zednik, Ribeiro, Hossa, Bulis, and Ryder. Those should be your top two lines (the combination I think is obvious). Perreault is playing well, I just can't see where he fits in on this team. Audette, well, I think he has been covered.

Old
10-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Canadienne

How about Begin-Koivu-Ryder? What an energy line that would be! I know that Steve Begin is a centre but I think he's versatile enough to play on either wing. This line would be defensively responsible and provide alot of offensive opportunities too... and they're fast and tenacious enough to drive defensemen and back-checking forwards nuts!

As for the other lines, I think the Ribeiro line (Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik) is dynamite and put Ward on the 2nd line (Bulis-Perreault-Ward) instead of Audette; Sundstrom with Juneau and Dackell as the checking line until Kilger comes back, then drop Sundstrom.

I don't care what's done with Audette - just get rid of him asap.

Old
10-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Sadly that would be the argument some people would use if Koivu returned tonight with the same outcome. Its ridiculous, but I can't believe people think that he should come back and be playing with guys like Ward and Sundstrom because the team is playing okay - not great, just okay. There are two lines on this team that have anything remotely close to chemistry, the checking line and Ribeiro's line, the rest are a mismatch of players who can't be counted on to generate any sort of consistent play. As sad as this may seem, it would be better if Montreal was losing when Koivu returns because it would kill another potential story that some montreal faithful could eat up.

Montreals best forwards, including current play, are Koivu, Zednik, Ribeiro, Hossa, Bulis, and Ryder. Those should be your top two lines (the combination I think is obvious). Perreault is playing well, I just can't see where he fits in on this team. Audette, well, I think he has been covered.
I totally agree. I don't know why people are considering the Audette Perreault Ryder line as a line with chemistry. They REALLY clicked together for 1 game, most other games you see offense generated by that line it is a direct result of a ryder's play. Ryder is hitting, he's driving the net, and even dishes out the occasional pass. We all know Perreault is a good faceoff man, but I honestly doubt his top 2 center abilities. He is unable to establish any sort of offensive zone presence. Occasionally he will score the picture perfect top corner wrister, but he's been overrated due to the fact he's playing with michael ryder. My 6th sense tells me Yannick is on his way out, and personally I wouldn't mind Ryder Koivu Audette.

I despise Audette as much as the next guy, but when it comes to picking between who plays with koivu and ryder, i'd pick Donald. why? because at least Donald Audette shows some traces of hockey sense and decent burst. With Saku and Ryder, I'm sure he could produce. Ryder Koivu Perreault just doesn't sound right.

My (healthy) lineup on offense
Hossa Ribs Zed
Ryder Koivu Audette
Bulis Juneau Dackell
Kilger/Langdon Begin Ward

As you might notice, Perreault is the odd man out. I really liked this guy during 2001-2002, but his time in montreal is up IMHO

Old
10-26-2003, 10:01 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:

agreed, Koivu can only help make this team better

Closed Thread