HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets claim Brett MacLean

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2011, 07:27 PM
  #76
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 12,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ok. So let's say that in two weeks the Jets do not want him. They place him back on waivers. PHO ends up claiming him however one team with a lower priority also puts a claim in. PHO gets him back, but they must have him clear waivers again to send him down?
Yup, would have to go through waivers again before the AHL since PHO wasn't the only team to submit a claim.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
  #77
North
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
I haven't posted much in the Jets forum, but I'm super excited about this pickup. It's a no risk, possible high reward pick up.

I can't wait for the season to start!

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:45 PM
  #78
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
He still has lots to prove, but I'm hoping Noel gives him ample opportunity. Something he did not receive in the desert.

The kid knows how to score goals and where to go to get them. He just has to develop some chemistry with guys like Scheifele, Wellwood and Burmistrov.

Is there any way of knowing if other teams had put a claim in for him?


Cormier did earn a spot, but being on the top 2 lines in St. John's as opposed to the fourth in the NHL is what he needs right now. He will be back here at some point and he'll be a better player when he does come back.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  #79
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,196
vCash: 500
interesting...honestly if he can't make the coyotes roster that doesn't give me much hope. i know he has some potential, but there have been plenty of guys that put up good numbers in the ahl and can't make it translate to the nhl for whatever reason. i'll wait and see, though.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
  #80
Wpgpage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Great pick up high upside literally no risk hopefully they give him at least 40 games to succeed or fail. To bad for Cormier but really he's only played 40 games in 09/10 and 32 in 10/11 a solid 40 games in a row would do him good. After those 40 games you can make a much better call on who stays and who goes.
line up
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Antro
MacLean-Brumi-Fehr
Glass-Slater-Thorburn

According to HockeyDB he shoots right so moving him to RW and having a line of
Cormier-Brumi-MacLean
has the making of a pretty solid 3rd scoring line.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
  #81
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
interesting...honestly if he can't make the coyotes roster that doesn't give me much hope. i know he has some potential, but there have been plenty of guys that put up good numbers in the ahl and can't make it translate to the nhl for whatever reason. i'll wait and see, though.
As far as I can tell by talking to knowledgable Yotes posters most of them are not happy at all with losing MacLean. I don't think his style is a fit for Tippett's pressure D system. His issues seem to be that he is a slow skater and a liability in his own zone. He is a very natural pure goal scorer though and the boys tell me he will either flame out or go for over 20 goals. We have a chance to capture some serious upside and I think our team is short on pure goal scoring forwards.....I say give the kid a shot and hope he fits our system....we seem to have lots of very mobile forwards who can back check so we just need to pair MacLean properly and maybe our forwards could capitalize on Brett's talents...it would be nice to have "pure scoring threats" on our top 3 lines

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
  #82
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,503
vCash: 500
I think Maclean could turn into a solid 20+ goal scorer (mostly on the powerplay).

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:43 PM
  #83
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,849
vCash: 1000
Solid pick-up, well worth a shot in the dark.
Obviously the kid can play, he was a point per game player in the AHL, hopefully it translates.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
  #84
ahplk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
interesting...honestly if he can't make the coyotes roster that doesn't give me much hope. i know he has some potential, but there have been plenty of guys that put up good numbers in the ahl and can't make it translate to the nhl for whatever reason. i'll wait and see, though.
I don't think it was a matter of him not being able to make the team...sounds like he requested a trade.

"- Forward Brett MacLean, who was not involved in practice sessions the past two days, has asked to be put on waivers if the Coyotes cannot work out a trade. That waiver designation probably will happen Wednesday, and if he clears, he would be assigned to Portland." http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...s-sundogs.html

"Brett MacLean of the Coyotes requested to be traded, no trade was made so MacLean has been placed on waivers." @***********

ahplk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:30 PM
  #85
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
My observations of Tippett's system of trying to score first, and then having the entire team sit back in their own end for the rest of the game and depend on Bryzgalov to hold the other team to a tie, before losing in the shootout is not conducive to developing offensive prospects at the NHL level in general. Let alone MacLean who barely got on the ice in his short time with them.

Many prospects have been, or are in the process of being, wrecked in Phoenix. Turris is a classic example. This is a great opportunity for MacLean in Winnipeg... when the Coyotes' forwards under Tippett, now without Bryzgalov, probably won't be allowed to venture past their own hash marks ... six guys in net this season.

If I recall correctly, MacLean scored on his first shift with the Coyotes. Then was basically benched the remainder of the game. Case closed.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
  #86
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
interesting...honestly if he can't make the coyotes roster that doesn't give me much hope. i know he has some potential, but there have been plenty of guys that put up good numbers in the ahl and can't make it translate to the nhl for whatever reason. i'll wait and see, though.
If you're familiar with Dave Tippett's style of coaching, you'll know he is rather impartial to young players. Even the one who do make the team are basically nailed to the bench for the tiniest mistake.

Young players need to play to learn from mistakes. For the most part they are so afraid of making mistakes because they may not get another shift that they play tentative. All this while veteran third or fourth line plugs like Fiddler, Ebbett, Winnik and Nokelainen get a free pass.

Maclean still will have to prove himself here in Winnipeg, but he brings an added ingredient the team is lacking. Given a fair shot with a regular shift, there's no reason why he cannot become a regular everyday NHLer

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:58 PM
  #87
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
If you're familiar with Dave Tippett's style of coaching, you'll know he is rather impartial to young players. Even the one who do make the team are basically nailed to the bench for the tiniest mistake.

Young players need to play to learn from mistakes. For the most part they are so afraid of making mistakes because they may not get another shift that they play tentative. All this while veteran third or fourth line plugs like Fiddler, Ebbett, Winnik and Nokelainen get a free pass.

Maclean still will have to prove himself here in Winnipeg, but he brings an added ingredient the team is lacking. Given a fair shot with a regular shift, there's no reason why he cannot become a regular everyday NHLer
Sound like Darryl Sutter.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:22 PM
  #88
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
From Phoenix forum:

I just received this email from GMDM. As it wasn't marked personal or confidential, I assume that he won't mind my posting it....


Don Maloney to me

show details 1:20 PM (43 minutes ago)


Hi Scott … Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, Brett had a poor training camp and lost a starting job on our roster to Patrick O’Sullivan. I do think he will reappear on waivers before the year is out where we will have an opportunity to reclaim him. I agree we need more young talent in our organization. We retooled our amateur scouting staff this past off-season as we need to have better drafting results. Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Don Maloney

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
  #89
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
From Phoenix forum:

I just received this email from GMDM. As it wasn't marked personal or confidential, I assume that he won't mind my posting it....


Don Maloney to me

show details 1:20 PM (43 minutes ago)


Hi Scott Ö Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, Brett had a poor training camp and lost a starting job on our roster to Patrick OíSullivan. I do think he will reappear on waivers before the year is out where we will have an opportunity to reclaim him. I agree we need more young talent in our organization. We retooled our amateur scouting staff this past off-season as we need to have better drafting results. Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Don Maloney
I saw this over in the Phoenix thread. Two things that are very interesting. One, this appears to be a random guy, very surprising that an NHL GM takes time out of his day to answer an email like this.

Second, the bolded statement is interesting. I guess Maloney thinks that MacLean is just a temp measure here while Fehr is out and that MacLean will not have any success. Not sure what to make of it, but I find that very interesting.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
  #90
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz
 
wpgyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
My observations of Tippett's system of trying to score first, and then having the entire team sit back in their own end for the rest of the game and depend on Bryzgalov to hold the other team to a tie, before losing in the shootout is not conducive to developing offensive prospects at the NHL level in general. Let alone MacLean who barely got on the ice in his short time with them.

Many prospects have been, or are in the process of being, wrecked in Phoenix. Turris is a classic example. This is a great opportunity for MacLean in Winnipeg... when the Coyotes' forwards under Tippett, now without Bryzgalov, probably won't be allowed to venture past their own hash marks ... six guys in net this season.

If I recall correctly, MacLean scored on his first shift with the Coyotes. Then was basically benched the remainder of the game. Case closed.
Wrong. Tippett plays guys who EARN their time on the ice! It's a simple concept. When Turris/MacLean showed a high level of compete right from the opening face-off, they'd get out there more often, but many times you could tell from their first few shifts they'd be lucky to get 5 minutes TOI. Brett had 13 minutes of ice-time in that LA game, but was scaled back in the third period. He's not a guy you want out there in those situations with a lead.

I have no problems with Tippett's coaching style. It gets results. Like any other business/corporate environment, you need to pay your dues and earn the respect/trust of your superiors. MacLean wasn't able to do that.

That said, pre-Tippett, Turris was brought in too early and mismanaged to a large degree by Gretzky. The fact he hasn't completely busted yet is a small miracle. But the management group today is going about it the right way, keeping prospects in the minors/junior to develop like they should.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
  #91
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Well, I for one am hoping that MacLean has October 15th circled on his calendar. I would love to see him pot a couple in a Jets win. Nothing like having a statement game against your former club.

All that said, Winnipeg is my #1 team now, but I still do and probably will have a soft spot for the Coyotes at least until Doan is retired.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
  #92
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,970
vCash: 500
MacLean excited to be a Jet

Quote:
Less than 24 hours later he was working on a line with Nik Antropov and Alex Burmistrov, preparing to suit up in the Jetsí opener Sunday against the Montreal Canadiens.

"I was in shock," said MacLean after practice Friday. "I had accepted that I would start the year in the minors and hadnít heard anything about the waivers. Then I got called in and was told I was going to Winnipeg. Itís a pretty quick day after that, youíre in shock trying to move from one place to the next.

"You have a few hours to pack up all your stuff and get on a plane and head here. Then Iím jumping into a scrimmage here. Itís been a crazy 24 hours, but itís a great honour to be here and Iím excited.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...131342848.html

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
  #93
KingSalamon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Wow... if this doesn't get him going, nothing will.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  #94
FlamesThrashersJets
Registered User
 
FlamesThrashersJets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: GA
Country: Belarus
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Brett MacLean working on a line with Nik Antropov and Alex Burmistrov
Winnipeg Free Press

FlamesThrashersJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:14 PM
  #95
Waldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,904
vCash: 500
This isn't a second chance. This is his first chance to play in the NHL. He needs to play and get icetime without being benched. I think he is playing with ideal linemates in Burmi and Nick. If he gets a decent chance he will produce. I think he is capable of 25 goals and he may give us 3 scoring lines. If he and Fehr both workout, we're in the playoffs. The Jets are underated and the concensus on TSN is 12th place. I think we are a playoff team.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
  #96
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Sometimes, talented players just never make it at this level for whatever reason, but sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and to feel his skill set is needed.

Coming into a hockey crazed environment like Winnipeg which is polar opposite of what Phoenix is, should get this kid jacked up.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:59 PM
  #97
Magnifique
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 7,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Sometimes, talented players just never make it at this level for whatever reason, but sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and to feel his skill set is needed.

Coming into a hockey crazed environment like Winnipeg which is polar opposite of what Phoenix is, should get this kid jacked up.
Hardly, but feel free to keep telling yourself that.

What is going to get this guy jacked up is a real chance to prove himself. That means more than 8 minutes on the fourth line with scrubs, that means a considerable amount of time in the NHL, that means not being benched after scoring like he was when he scored his first NHL goal.

I do not know how the Jets plan on running their system, but I can't imagine it will be any more conservative and anti-offense than what Tippet runs. Tippets system holds back offensive players, and almost rejects them entirely. Add in the fact that Maclean is young, therefore not worthy to be coached by Tippet in his eyes, he never had a chance.

I hope he does well, I look foward to seeing him at the JOB for the opener. Know that you guys just took the Coyotes' number one offensive prospect, and gave up absolutely nothing.

I'm still blown away at how little the Coyotes seem to care about their future.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
  #98
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,508
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Hardly, but feel free to keep telling yourself that.

What is going to get this guy jacked up is a real chance to prove himself. That means more than 8 minutes on the fourth line with scrubs, that means a considerable amount of time in the NHL, that means not being benched after scoring like he was when he scored his first NHL goal.

I do not know how the Jets plan on running their system, but I can't imagine it will be any more conservative and anti-offense than what Tippet runs. Tippets system holds back offensive players, and almost rejects them entirely. Add in the fact that Maclean is young, therefore not worthy to be coached by Tippet in his eyes, he never had a chance.

I hope he does well, I look foward to seeing him at the JOB for the opener. Know that you guys just took the Coyotes' number one offensive prospect, and gave up absolutely nothing.

I'm still blown away at how little the Coyotes seem to care about their future.
Not to take this thread completely OT, but until the 'Yotes get a committed, non crazy owner who wants to see the team stay and win in Glendale, terrible decisions and losing players will continue.

As for the hockey environment comment, it might not be professional, but some players do thrive on that kind of crazy environment, and some wilt. We will see what kind of player Brett is. I for one was hoping for the Jets to grab him and are very pleased they did.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
  #99
Magnifique
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 7,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Not to take this thread completely OT, but until the 'Yotes get a committed, non crazy owner who wants to see the team stay and win in Glendale, terrible decisions and losing players will continue.

As for the hockey environment comment, it might not be professional, but some players do thrive on that kind of crazy environment, and some wilt. We will see what kind of player Brett is. I for one was hoping for the Jets to grab him and are very pleased they did.
I don't doubt that it may be more exciting, but even then I'm sure it doesn't last forever.

As far as it having anything to do with Maclean being hyped about this year, I don't believe it for a second. He hasn't had enough time in the NHL to care about how many fans are around; Maclean just wants to play NHL hockey, that will be enough to get him jacked for this season.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.