Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

OT: Slovakia at the 2010 Football World Cup

Old
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I had a question about Petržalka in that tournament, but I just found the answer myself. My question was, Petržalka lost the first game in Almaty 2-0, and won the second game 4-1 in extra time. If the score was 3-1 Petržalka, that would have made it 3-3 on agg with Almaty advancing on away goals, and therefore extra time shouldn't have been necessary.

The answer after some research is that the score going into extra time was not 3-1 Petržalka, it was 2-0 Petržalka. Almaty scored right away in extra time to make it 2-1 putting Petržalka in a gigantic hole since they now required 2 goals in 29 minutes. Jan Kozak scored on a penalty kick three minutes later, and in the very final moments Pavol Stano headed in a cross to give Petržalka the 4-3 win on agg. The rest is history.
Well, FC Petržalka is pretty much history.....since Kmotrík bolted for Slovan.

Anyway, Slovak teams in 2010/2011 European league could be described as follows:

Absolute fail Banská Bystrica vs. FC Zestafoni
Zestafoni- Bystrica 3:0
Bystrica- Zestafoni 1:0

Fail Nitra vs. ETO Gyor (HUN)

Sad heroes ŠK Slovan Bratislava
Crvena Zvezda Beograd (SRB)- ŠK Slovan Bratislava 1:2

ŠK Slovan Bratislava- Crvena Zvezda Beograd 1:1

ŠK Slovan Bratislava- VFB Stuttgart 0:1

VFB Stuttgart- ŠK Slovan Bratislava 2:2

Heroes of the year: Mšk Žilina
Birkikara (Malta)- Žilina 1-0 Still can´t believe that one
Žilina- Birkikara 3-0

Litex Lovech (BG)- Mšk Žilina 1-1
Mšk Žilina- Litex Lovech 3-1

Sparta Praha (CZE)- Mšk Žilina 0-2

Mšk Žilina- Sparta Praha

Anyway, let´s go Šošoni!

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:00 PM
slovakiasnextone

Anyway, back to the national team. It´s all starting again tomorrow when the NT meets for the two games against FYROM and Russia.

Roster
Goalkeepers:
Ján Mucha ml. (FC Everton/ENG) 05/12/82
Dušan Kuciak (FC Vaslui/ROM) 21/05/85
Dušan Perniš (Dundee United/SCO) 28/11/84

Deffense:
Peter Pekarík (VfL Wolfsburg/GER) 30/10/86
Martin Škrtel (FC Liverpool/ENG) 15/12/84
Tomáš Hubočan (Zenit Petrohrad/RUS) 17/09/85
Kornel Saláta (ŠK Slovan Bratislava/SVK) 24/01/85
Radoslav Zabavník (1. FSV Mainz/GER) 16/09/80

Midfielders:
Miroslav Karhan (1. FSV Mainz/GER) 21/06/76
Mário Pečalka (MŠK Žilina/SVK) 29/12/80
Juraj Kucka (AC Sparta Praha/CZE) 26/02/87
Zdeno Štrba (Škoda Xanthi/GRE) 09/06/76
Kamil Kopúnek (Saturn MO/RUS) 18/05/84
Marek Hamšík (SSC Neapol/ITA) 27/07/87
Marek Sapara (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR) 31/07/82
Vladimír Weiss ml. (Glasgow Rangers/SCO) 30/11/89
Miroslav Stoch (Fenerbahce Istanbul/TUR) 19/10/89
Dušan Švento (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT) 01/08/85

Strikers:
Stanislav Šesták (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR) 16/12/82
Erik Jendrišek (Schalke 04/GER) 26/10/86
Róbert Vittek (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR) 01/04/82
Filip Hološko (Besiktas Istanbul/TUR) 17/01/84
Tomáš Oravec (MŠK Žilina/SVK) 03/07/80
Jakub Sylvestr (Dinamo Zagreb/CRO) 02/02/89

Some news and comments:
It seems that Weiss has finally given up on Ján Ďurica, instead of him we´ve got the younger Tomáš Hubočan who has solid reputation in Russia

Marek Čech was originally meant to take part in this, but he will be missing due to injury and was replcaed by Dušan Švento

Juraj Kucka had lots to do lately, playing for Sparta in CL and in Czech league and he has also had some injury trouble and he will miss tomorrow´s meeting due to Sparta´s game in Czech league

Kamil Kopúnek has finally found a team as he signed for Saturn Moskovská oblasť in the Russian league on Friday

Vladi Weiss Jr. finally will be playing some regular football this year ad he was loaned out to the Glasgow Rangers, he already created two goals in the two games he played so far (once as a sub, once in starting line-up). The Scottish league however lacks quality and more important will be how he does in the CL.

Is it just me or is half our offence playing in Turkey now?

U-21 striker and goal scoring leader of our EC U-21 qualifying group Jakub Sylvestr, who just transfered from Slovan to Croatian Dinamo Zagreb today will join the senior team for the Macedonia game as Vittek and Šesták have some injury trouble. After that he will join the U-21 side, they do not need anymore absenses for their decisive game against Norway having to play without Weiss and Stoch most of the qualifiers already

Weiss, the coach, is interested in Mšk Žilina´s Babatounde Bello and Slovan´s Karim Guéde to play for Slovakia one day. Bello told Šport a few weeks back that he would love to play for Slovakia. He´s been living here since he was 16, he married a Slovak and they have a 15 months old son. However when he wanted to get the citizenship he says he was told that he needs to live here for 5 more years. Anyway, Weiss has already talked to Daniel Lipšic, the interior minister about the citizenship thing. I think it shouldn´t be any problem for Bello (not sure about Guéde). Actually it reminds me of Anastasya Kuzmina´s situation, she had been living here and she is married to a Slovak citizen (actually he´s been a Slovak citizen only for 10 years himself) and they have a son whom they raise here. I´m not a huge fan of getting players this way, but Bello is in a way also a product of Slovak football as he partly grew up in Žilina´s academy, he has a family here and he obviously loves this country and wants to spend his life here.

Old
08-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Strikers:
Stanislav Šesták (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR) 16/12/82
Erik Jendrišek (Schalke 04/GER) 26/10/86
Róbert Vittek (MKE Ankaragücü/TUR) 01/04/82
Filip Hološko (Besiktas Istanbul/TUR) 17/01/84
Tomáš Oravec (MŠK Žilina/SVK) 03/07/80
Jakub Sylvestr (Dinamo Zagreb/CRO) 02/02/89
I suppose with Šesták and Vittek injured, Weiss will have to pick one from the other four. I'm guessing Sylvestr and Oravec won't start. Perhaps Jendrišek or Hološko? That wouldn't be too bad, I like Erik Jendrišek.

What is with the games on Tuesday and Friday now instead of Wednesday and Saturday? Will it always be like that now?

Kamzik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
I suppose with Šesták and Vittek injured, Weiss will have to pick one from the other four. I'm guessing Sylvestr and Oravec won't start. Perhaps Jendrišek or Hološko? That wouldn't be too bad, I like Erik Jendrišek.

What is with the games on Tuesday and Friday now instead of Wednesday and Saturday? Will it always be like that now?
Looks like Oravec is hurt too. I heard Filip Hološko will start. He apparently looked good in training.

EDIT: big performance today by Jakub Sylvestr in the U21's 2-1 victory over Serbia. Sylvestr had two goals and nearly a third. It was a big win for Slovakia who kept pace with leaders Croatia and put themselves ahead of Serbia into second place. Jakub Sylvestr could theoretically play with the big boys tomorrow against Macedonia.

Last edited by Kamzik: 09-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old
09-03-2010, 05:09 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Looks like Oravec is hurt too. I heard Filip Hološko will start. He apparently looked good in training.

EDIT: big performance today by Jakub Sylvestr in the U21's 2-1 victory over Serbia. Sylvestr had two goals and nearly a third. It was a big win for Slovakia who kept pace with leaders Croatia and put themselves ahead of Serbia into second place. Jakub Sylvestr could theoretically play with the big boys tomorrow against Macedonia.
Sylvestr is the goal scoring leader of our U21 groupand the Serbia game was played about a month ago. Yesterday they played against Zlaté Moravce. He could play today, but I imagine Kitka would want him rested for Tuesday´s most important U21 game against Norway. Sylvestr has played loads of games in August with Slovan both in the league and Europa.

Both Vittek and Oravec are out for FYROM game.

SVK line-up acc. to Šport:
MUCHA

PEKARÍK ŠKRTEL SALÁTA ZABAVNÍK

KARHAN KUCKA

WEISS HAMŠÍK STOCH

HOLOŠKO

Rehgarding your earlier Friday/tuesday question from Šport:
PREČO PIATOK A UTOROK?

Kvalifikačné zápasy sa nebudú už hrať ako doteraz v sobotu a stredu, UEFA sa ešte pred februárovým žrebom základných skupín kvalifikácie ME 2012 vo Varšave rozhodla vyhovieť tlaku viacerých klubov a za hlavné hracie dni určila piatok a utorok. Namiesto piatka sa však zápasy budú môcť hrať aj v sobotu. Čo si tým kluby vydupali? To, že teraz sa im budú môcť hráči vrátiť pred blížiacim sa ligovým víkendom o deň skôr.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
SVK line-up acc. to Šport:
MUCHA

PEKARÍK ŠKRTEL SALÁTA ZABAVNÍK

KARHAN KUCKA

WEISS HAMŠÍK STOCH

HOLOŠKO
That lineup was not correct at all. No Zabavnik, Karhan, or Kucka (though that latter came on as a substitute). There was Strba instead of Karhan, and Sapara also who I didn't like very much. He took most of the set pieces and kept making "moon shots".

My favourite player Stoch was I think the best player on the pitch. He kept making amazing crosses but nobody would finish it. Finally Holosko in injury time, but that was too stressful for me. Skrtel was an absolute force out there today. He made 4 or 5 amazing defensive plays. 1-0 SVK, very important three points IMO

Old
09-03-2010, 05:31 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
That lineup was not correct at all. No Zabavnik, Karhan, or Kucka (though that latter came on as a substitute). There was Strba instead of Karhan, and Sapara also who I didn't like very much. He took most of the set pieces and kept making "moon shots".

My favourite player Stoch was I think the best player on the pitch. He kept making amazing crosses but nobody would finish it. Finally Holosko in injury time, but that was too stressful for me. Skrtel was an absolute force out there today. He made 4 or 5 amazing defensive plays. 1-0 SVK, very important three points IMO
Yeah, well that line-up was just a guess written yesterday.

First half was pretty bad, 2nd half was much better, it wans´t the worst game, but it wasn´t the best one either.

I agree on top players, this is the best NT game I´ve personally seen Škrtel play, I guess it is easier now that he doesn´t have to worry about Ďurica scoring an own goal. Stoch was great too, especially 2nd.

Sapara was pretty poor today, Weiss Jr. had a few good moments but a weak game overall.

Personally, I´m definitely not a fan of the way teams like FYROM play. About 3 players upfront actually play some footie, the rest just creates a wall infront of the goalie. They also got some acting skillz, the audience had to feel like in a theatre sometimes, hopefully that red card will teach them better and they won´t just try to slow down a game to get a draw.

None of the "top" teams in our group had a great start, I saw a bit of Armenia -Ireland and the Irish were pretty bad and very lucky to win that game. 2-0 over Andorra isn´t a dominant start for the Russkies either.

Way too many player on our team have poor decision making when close to the net, which results in us using the dominant ball possession for pretty much nothing, especially in the 1st.

That´s about all.....oh wait...
Portugal- Cyprus 4-4
France-Belarus 0-1
So far so good.....

Old
09-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Kamzik

Slovakia 1 - Russia 0 Final. Again Stoch was very strong, loved his goal. I also really liked the performance of Jan Mucha, wow. The save on the 25 metre free kick near the end in which he injured his face, he is a hero. SVK now alone on top of group B, though Ireland plays Andorra later today. Looking good.

U21s got killed against Norway in Zlate Moravce I heard. An early red card decided the game.

Old
09-07-2010, 03:12 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Slovakia 1 - Russia 0 Final. Again Stoch was very strong, loved his goal. I also really liked the performance of Jan Mucha, wow. The save on the 25 metre free kick near the end in which he injured his face, he is a hero. SVK now alone on top of group B, though Ireland plays Andorra later today. Looking good.

U21s got killed against Norway in Zlate Moravce I heard. An early red card decided the game.
Great goal by Stoch. And a great performance from the deffense, Škrtel MOTM by far (I guess I will call this the Ďurica effect), Zabavník and Saláta were great as well, Hubočan was the weakest link there. Anyway, a great win, doesn´t really need much comment.

I just want to find a picture of Stoch kissing the Slovakia logo on his shirt after he scored, don´t think anyone captured that, too bad, it was a great moment.

Too bad for the U21´s, but it was a great campaign by them especially if we consider that they were missing Weiss Jr. and Stoch for the most part. At least Sylvestr can play with the big boys in the two games next month.

Old
08-06-2011, 10:20 AM
slovakiasnextone

Some interesting news

Slovakia´s qualification group for 2014 WC: Greece, SLOVAKIA, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Lithuania, Latvia, Liechtenstein.

Also, let´s welcome the NT´s newest addition Karim Guéde, now officially Slovak after 5 years here:

He´ll get his NT debut in the exhibition games against Austria.

And finally while it has rumored for a while that NT coach Weiss would like to also coach a club team and he was rumored with many foreign clubs, in the end he was chosen as the coach for Slovak champions Slovan Bratislava.....

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 08-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Kamzik

I guess there is more room for Guede in the midfield now that Stoch is busy drunk driving.

Old
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I guess there is more room for Guede in the midfield now that Stoch is busy drunk driving.
Not really, Guéde is a deffensive midfielder, so its a different role than Stoch has.....Guéde is expected to take over Karhan´s place in the team in the future....

Old
08-27-2011, 06:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

LOL, Allahu akbar?

But no really, so just you knows Slovan Bratislava has kicked out As Roma in the Europa league play-offs.....

Old
08-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Kamzik

No Hamsik versus Ireland I heard. Time for some other dude to step in that role.

Old
08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
No Hamsik versus Ireland I heard. Time for some other dude to step in that role.
Not 100% yet though, it´s still just "probably without Hamšík". asi....

Old
09-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Kamzik

It was with Hamsik afterall, and he had one of the best chances of the game. I thought both teams were a little unlucky in their finishing. I thought on that one play Weiss should have shot instead of passing it, but oh well. Overall a well fought draw for SVK. One point in Dublin is fine.

The next game versus Armenia is obviously huge. They need three points in Zilina, but that won't be easy against an exciting Armenian team. Combine that with an Irish-Russian draw and I think they are back atop the group with two games left. That is best case scenario anyhow.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:13 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
It was with Hamsik afterall, and he had one of the best chances of the game. I thought both teams were a little unlucky in their finishing. I thought on that one play Weiss should have shot instead of passing it, but oh well. Overall a well fought draw for SVK. One point in Dublin is fine.

The next game versus Armenia is obviously huge. They need three points in Zilina, but that won't be easy against an exciting Armenian team. Combine that with an Irish-Russian draw and I think they are back atop the group with two games left. That is best case scenario anyhow.
The result could have been better, but could have been worse at the same time. Considering that both Ireland and Russia still have a game against Andorra ahead of them, the best case scenario for us would be to win all three of our games left and the Ireland-Russia tie.

I thought that Hamšík was finally really in his element for the NT ad I guess it has to do with Weiss allowing him more offensive freedom since we have Kucka and Guéde now in the midfield able to take on the deffensive duties. Other than that Stoch was really subpar, Weiss Jr. tried hard and had a few nice moments, but his typical losing the ball very easily moments were also present. Overall there were some stages of the game when you just had the feeling that we´re finally getting to see what this team really has the potential to do offensively.

Last note which has little to do with the qualification, what´s up with Slovak plaers and the Turkish league all of a sudden? Too much Šeherezáda influence.....?

Old
09-05-2011, 11:09 AM
slovakiasnextone

Kucka´s out for tomorrow´s game, I guess that means Guéde will start. Meanwhile Armenians very confident about their chances, reading some of their players´ quotes, ahh, well, I´m not gonna comment on that.....not that I am sure that we´ll win, but there´s no need to disrespect your opponent is a lesson that some of them should learn...

Old
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Kucka´s out for tomorrow´s game, I guess that means Guéde will start. Meanwhile Armenians very confident about their chances, reading some of their players´ quotes, ahh, well, I´m not gonna comment on that.....not that I am sure that we´ll win, but there´s no need to disrespect your opponent is a lesson that some of them should learn...
I was only able to tune in at the moment Guéde was substituted off. After that I promptly witnessed four straight unanswered Armenian goals. Yikes. This team really struggles against little speedy teams. I guess if they converted one of their first half chances, it would have been entirely different.

Now just beat Russian and FYOM and hope for the baraz.

Old
09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
zorz

Quote:
It's so tough for me not to go and troll this thread right now

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:51 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
It's so tough for me not to go and troll this thread right now
troll all you want (though it´s equally tough for me not to point out whether a Czech republic fan really should be trolling Slovakia right now rather than concentrating on his own team).....I think I stated it clearly that I don´t expect a certain Slovak win, but just because a certain Armenian player might have been right in this case doesn´t give him or his players any right to disrespect their opponent and if he continues in that fashion it will eventually hurt him......anyway it was beyond embarassing, but it´s not a tragedy, we´ve seen what a tragedy really is today in the hockey world...

We still have a chance for the 2nd place, but if we don´t get it I wish the Armenians would, they´re an exciting team to watch and Ireland is as poor or even poorer than Slovakia to be honest in this campaign....

Old
10-08-2011, 06:42 AM
zorz

Sorry for the OT, but this is just too hilarious not to be posted: http://tv.sme.sk/v/22211/v-zapase-s-...-ani-rtvs.html

Old
10-08-2011, 01:19 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

LOL, it is sad that I am not suprised

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Sorry for the OT, but this is just too hilarious not to be posted: http://tv.sme.sk/v/22211/v-zapase-s-...-ani-rtvs.html
I can´t decide which is more embarassing Slovak footballers or RTVS.....RTVS is so embarassing it´s funny, while the footballers are so embarassing it´s really sad....

Old
10-09-2011, 01:48 PM
zorz

Quote:
I can´t decide which is more embarassing Slovak footballers or RTVS.....RTVS is so embarassing it´s funny, while the footballers are so embarassing it´s really sad....
I think the most embarassing is the coach Weiss, I've heard that he insulted some journalist after the game again I really don't like that person.