HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plea to Pierre Lacroix

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
fcbarcelona

vCash: 500
Plea to Pierre Lacroix

This may seem like a little bit of panic at this point but I have a plea for PL. If, by some chance, the avs continue to struggle badly 30 games into the season, I think PL would have to change the team concept to a more defensive approah. What does that mean? I believe this implies the avs would have to hire a defensive minded coach (Larry Robinson would be a great candidate), acquire some bigger forwards who can excel defensively and play a simple, but effective, 2 way game, and get our top offensive players sacrificing their bodies to prevent goals and score some as well. Thus far, the avs star players have played a far too fancy game. The defense hasn't been physical. Our third and fourth liners aren't providing the team with much offense (though it seems like they have the potential to do that well). This team is defnitely not playing the game that's necessary to win the cup.

I remember the good ol' days when Colorado was a defensive jauggernaut. More specifically, I am very fond of the 2001 Avs team. They were mentally strong, committed, and had role players that did whatever it took to win. PL...bring back that team if this year's Avs continue to struggle with their current attempt at establishing a new offensive identity. At this point, I don't care about the division. I want the Avs to reach the playoffs and dominate everyone. This year is a one shot deal. Who knows whats going to happen with our team following this year. The urgency is definitely there, but an appropriate team attitude needs to be re-established whether it be offensively or defensively.

BTW, what the heck is up with Granato? He's getting outmatched on lines. He can't motivate his players. He's a firing waiting to happen IMO. Yet, firing him isn't step number one. Our first priority should be getting rid of Martin "got schooled by Samsonov" Skoula. The moron continues to make dangerous oulet passes and he has no communication skills with his teammates on the ice. Brutal!

Old
10-21-2003, 07:49 PM
nathan

YES! I noticed that as well? WTF was Selanne doing playing on a makeshift line of Hahl and Cummins? (throw in a little Nikolishin here and there too)

Old
10-21-2003, 08:23 PM
fcbarcelona

it definitely is too early too panic. i believe this team can turn their fortunes around. yet, its very clear this team is a work in progress and chemistry issues are a big concern right now.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:23 PM
hoserthehorrible

It's certainly way, way, way too early to panic but the Avs do look like crap right now.

They aren't playing with any passion, no desire, no hustle. Hell, Aebischer and McAllister may have been the two best Avs players tonight. The Avs came out flying tonight for 10-15 minutes and then mailed the rest of the game in.

The coaching staff has to take some of the blame certainly. On the other hand, when you have 10 - 15 veterans who have played and been successful at the highest levels they have to be held accountable for their uninspired and lackluster performance.

It was a pathetic display of professional hockey and they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Here's food for thought.

With the exception of Hartley's first year as head coach and the Avs started 1-4, the Avs have NEVER started this badly in their first five games. Sandy Clough on the FAN950 AM postgame show gave out that little tidbit.

Time to panic? Hmmmm...it's definitely time to get worried. Granato seems to be that spoiled rich kid who has a closet full of toys who doesn't bother to read the instructions. He doesn't know what to do with the wealth of talent before him. He had far less and revitalized the power play with a few quick adjustments. Why can't he do that here?

But no personnel changes...except for Skoula. This team CAN win and SHOULD win!!!!!

One thing to note: The Avs are guilty of reading their own press clippings and listening to ESPN kiss their butts. They're figuring that the sheer talent they display on paper will somehow intimidate the opposition into submission. The Bruins didn't look intimidated, nor did they look very impressed. The Knuble-Thornton-Murray line brutalized us. Heck, the Grosek-Donato-McCarthy line was setting up like a power play in our zone!!!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 09:24 PM
hoserthehorrible

After thinking about the Bruin's game for an hour or so I think this may in fact be the best thing for the team. A couple hard kicks in the nuts to start off the season is a good way to get slapped back to reality; and quick!

Perhaps a couple eye opening losses will plant a seed in their heads that hard work is the only way to the cup. Talent, all the press clippings in the world, and a quarter will still only buy them a cup of coffee and nothing more.

Lets just hope their extremely poor play and lack of hustle doesn't ruin the confidence and egos of their young goaltenders. Lost confidence is very hard to get back once it's gone. Just ask Skoula.... he lost his a few years ago and he's been getting worse and worse every year. In fact, he quite possibly could be playing worse defense than DJ Smith is at this point in time. Now that's a swift kick in the nuts to the young Czech.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
broman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
YES! I noticed that as well? WTF was Selanne doing playing on a makeshift line of Hahl and Cummins? (throw in a little Nikolishin here and there too)
Ahh, well that explains why he only clocked 15 odd minutes. Anybody have a theory why? OK, so he hasn't posted major numbers with Kariya and Sakic just yet, but at least they have scored the odd goal here and there which is better than most. I dunno but IMO it's Coaching 101 to *not* go and try spread your offensive talent too thin. A panic move aimed at improving team defence after the Oil scorefeast? Well it turned out a dismal failure, and I can't see how that could have come as a surprise.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
Further, you DO NOT want to disrespect and anger Teemu. Especially when Teemu and Paul are a package deal. They did not come to Colorado to play on the 3rd line. If we want any chance of keeping them past this season, we need to keep them with Sakic and let them do their thing.
Teemu deserved to be benched. He had a big fat rebound sitting right in front of him in front of Potvin on the PP, but went nowhere near it. I've seen Teemu play at his best. When he wants to, he's the fastest player on the ice, constantly moving, making smart passes, shooting when he needs to, but most importantly, he's fighting for the puck in the corners and occasionally crashing the net.

What I've seen so far from Teemu is a timid player who's not using his God-given speed and just making shots from the perimeter. If we wanted a timid player, we would have traded for Eric Lindros.

Granato at least made it clear he was disgusted with his team's effort by coming out with those whacked-out line combos. If Paul and Teemu want to play together, then they have to PRODUCE.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Throwing Selanne and Tanguay on the 3rd/4th line is not a bad idea if they are trying to spark those lines offense and/or Selanne and Tanguay are not getting much ice time. Just a thought In Nashville, sometimes we carry 7 defensemen and only 11 forwards, so that we can doubleshift Legwand as 4th line center. It works pretty well.

I think last nights game was a simple case of trying to think to much. Granato obviously put Big Mac, Cummins, and Bates on a line to be a big physical force to stop the top line of the Bruins. Of course, we know that it didn't work b/c they are just not skilled enough not fast enough to stop the Bs top line. Granato has the right ideas, but he is employing the wrong methods to fix the problems.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Yayo

Lacroix did something today; he traded Battaglia and Johansson to Washington for Konowalchuk and a third rounder today.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
nathan

Well, at PL is doing SOMETHING (no matter how good or bad it is) rather than sitting around, hoping that lightbulb will glow above Granato's head and the Avs go on a 20-game tear.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Stephen

Something about Lacroix's approach that really bugs me.

He signs world class players up front, but doesn't bother with an established coach.

He trades quality assets for Konowalchuk a UFA when he could do better by getting a dman.

Why does he keep letting UFAs walk when he has to replace them through trades?

With the money they save from the Roy retirement, why not just pick up Cujo?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
With the money they save from the Roy retirement, why not just pick up Cujo?
#1 Ken Holland will not trade us CuJo. Not now, not ever.

#2 WE DON'T NEED CUJO. Aebi has been playing out of his head for us. Now, I know what you're going to say, "But what about the playoffs!?" Lemme tell you something--there's a reason CuJo hasn't won a Stanley Cup. He chokes in the playoffs.

#3 We used the money we saved from Roy's retirement to sign Kariya and Selanne. Roy received a 1 million dollar payment as per the clause in his contract, Kariya signed for another 1.2 mil, and Selanne was paid the remaining 5.5. That's roughly 8 million--what we were paying Roy last season. You want to add on another 8 million on top of that? No thanks.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
#1 Ken Holland will not trade us CuJo. Not now, not ever.

#2 WE DON'T NEED CUJO. Aebi has been playing out of his head for us. Now, I know what you're going to say, "But what about the playoffs!?" Lemme tell you something--there's a reason CuJo hasn't won a Stanley Cup. He chokes in the playoffs.
You could have had Cujo for nothing in the waiver draft.

Also, coming from a Leafs fan, Cujo was not a choker in the playoffs. Last year the Wings were simply shut down by the Ducks, but in his time with the Leafs, we knocked off a lot of teams we really shouldn't have beat. When we lost to Jersey, they went to the finals and won the cup or came within one game of winning the cup. When the Leafs eventually lost it always had more to do with injuries and the team as a whole running out of gas. Believe me, a team with guys like Berezin and Korolev have no real business being in the final four without Cujo.

Old
10-27-2003, 02:03 AM
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
You could have had Cujo for nothing in the waiver draft.

Also, coming from a Leafs fan, Cujo was not a choker in the playoffs.
While I think 'choker' is a little strong, Joseph certainly didn't play all that well, statistics be buggered. He gave up more than a couple glaringly bad goals over the course of that series, a series in which Detroit controlled play for long stretches, and IMO controlled the series. With more timely goaltending Detroit certainly doesn't get swept, and more likely escapes the series in 6 or 7.

Closed Thread