HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

RIP Pavol Demitra

Old
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM
BeardedBlues88

vCash: 500
Absolutely brutal. I'm in shock. Woke up to the tweets about what had happened. Needless to say, not a good start to a day. Prayers and thoughts to all those involved.

BeardedBlues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
h22prelude93

RIP Demitra....you will be missed. This may be the worst incident in the history of hockey. My heart goes out to all the players and their families.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Guy Legend

Pavol Demitra was one of my favorite players when he played for the Blues. What a terrible tragedy. My condolences to all the families and friends affected. I feel very sad thinking about this.

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:41 PM
leotroy82

i really just can't comprehend this ..obviously prayers go out to the families and friends of the players and air crew as well as the victims themselves. ...I'm a Red Wings fan but always really admired Paval he was a awesome player . this summer has been so depressing I truly hope all the death and sadness is over .
it would be very fitting for the blues to wear a 38 for the season in remembrance and I hope the Wings do the same in the memory of Salei

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 06:44 PM
leotroy82

i just can't comprehend this ..obviously prayers go out to the families and friends of the players and air crew as well as the victims themselves. ...I'm a Red Wings fan but always really admired Paval he was a awesome player . this summer has been so depressing I truly hope all the death and sadness is over .
it would be very fitting for the blues to wear a 38 for the season in remembrance and I hope the Wings do the same in the memory of Salei

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 07:49 PM
journeyman79

so sad...

He was a great hockey player and a great guy.

A favorite of many.

R.I.P.

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:18 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
What a horrible, horrible tragedy....My thoughts go out to all those affected by it. I'm going to dig out my Demitra jersey for all the games I go to this season.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:25 PM
OpenIceHit42

Absolutely sad. I had the honor to meet and have a mini stick signed by Demitra a few years ago when he was still here in STL, down to earth and laid back guy. One of my favorite Blues/NHL players of all time.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Mike Liut

I was never really a fan of his, but he was one hell of a nice guy.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
stingo

RIP. Devastating.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
vanwest

Posted this in the Nucks board:

Tough, tough summer.
Demitra was such a great player especially during the years he played with St. Louis on the Mellanby, Demitra and Tkachuk line. A great skater, shooter and playmaker. My fondest memories will be of him in the Olympics when he turned back father time and the injuries and just out right dominated on the ice. Just an amazing performance for his country and his team mates.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Oberyn
The Red Viper

RIP Pavs, loved your time here in the note.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Its all so surreal. Some of the pictures that are coming up in the main thread are Just unbearable. A devastating offseason would be an understatement

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
execwrite

Daniel Corso comments

Montreal-born forward Daniel Corso, who was Demitra’s road roommate for two years when both played for the St. Louis Blues, is on the Dinamo Minsk team that was supposed to play its season opener against Lokomotiv on Thursday.

Corso, one of the few dozen Canadians playing in the KHL, said he was devastated by news of the crash, and that he is pondering whether to carry on playing.

“It’s hard,” he told Montreal radio station 98.5 FM. “It’s a reminder that life is short and you never know what could happen. Right now I’m reconsidering my future. What’s more important, playing hockey or being close to your family?”

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
Its all so surreal. Some of the pictures that are coming up in the main thread are Just unbearable. A devastating offseason would be an understatement
Bergman where did you get that avatar? Would you care if I sported that avatar for a while?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
execwrite

Memorial ceremony in Minsk (corrected)

Very moving. Hockey people the whole world over are a special breed.

Last edited by execwrite: 09-09-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Memorial ceremony in Russia

Very moving. Hockey people the whole world over are a special breed.
It´s not in Russia but in the capital of Belarus, Minsk. It was where the players of Yaroslavl were flying to play their game. Instead of the game they had this ceremony yesterday. This video includes probably the most emotional part of the ceremon which has each of the Minsk players kneeling infronf of a photo of a Yaroslavl player (they even went as far as having the Minsk Slovak Jaroslav Obšut kneeling infront of Demitra´s photo and Minskś three Czech players infront of their brethren Marek, Vašíček and Rachunek) and afterwards they skate to score on their own net as a symbolic win for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 08:24 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Bergman where did you get that avatar? Would you care if I sported that avatar for a while?
Oh please do. I think the more people the better. Someone on the official boards designed it as a possible patch/ forum avatar so credit goes to him.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:12 PM
byrone

A few memories of Pavol Demitra when he played in Charlottetown with the PEI Senators of the AHL...

- After his friend and teammate Radek Hamr was shipped to the IHL, Pavol was upset and not in a good mood. The next game against Springfield he was penalized for having an illegal stick (curve). He stewed in the penalty box. Uncharacteristically, the future Lady Byng Trophy winner was chirping with some Springfield players. Then, he and fellow featherweight Bob Wren went toe-to-toe, Pavol with the decisive win, including giving Wren a broken nose. It was really the one-and-only fight Demitra ever had.

- Pavol's first season in Charlottetown was eventful off the ice as well, as he mistook somebody else's home for his after an evening about town. The local authorities were called, sorted the situation and Pavol eventually found his way to his proper home.

- Pavol frequented my business and I came to know him well. He wrote his first-ever cheque to me, which I had to fill out for him as he had no clue what to do. He went on to earn over $40 million in the NHL, so he probably wrote many more cheques after that first one.

- Pavol was a treat to watch. I especially enjoyed seeing him blossom with the St. Louis Blues after Ottawa (GM Pierre Gauthier) gave him away. Put him with the right linemates and he was unstoppable. 81 points in 48 games in 1995-96 was remarkable.

- So sorry for his family. Pavol lost a young son a few years ago. Pavol himself survived a terrible car wreck just last year.

byrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Dawit49

Makes me so sad everytime I think about it... pops up in my head every day.. Lets hope Lokomotiv can get back on track next season. Feeling for all the families that lost.

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:12 PM
execwrite

Blues players will wear number 38 on helmets per the website