HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Bottom 2 lines...

Old
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
The Bottom 2 lines...

They are not tough enough... Having Zucc and EC down there is pointless. Those 2 lines need to grind it out and hit and if they can chip in some goals great.. right now they are doing none of this and imo it just ends up being 2 wasted shifts. EC is useless and im not even advocating for Avery to have made the team.. but Bourque and Newbury would both first MUCH better then EC And Zucc.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
At some point this season we should see both those guys make their NYR debut, be patient.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Uh, no. Bourque isn't ready for the NHL. Newbury instead of EC I'm fine with. Its a little ridiculous that everyone's so enamored with having two checking lines when our offense is still struggling and we already have a checking line, as well as a gritty bang it out offensive line. If Rupp wasn't so bad and Feds was playing with Step and MZA like he should, itd be less of a problem. The problem is that until Wolski decides to show up, our left wing is weak.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
They are not tough enough... Having Zucc and EC down there is pointless. Those 2 lines need to grind it out and hit and if they can chip in some goals great.. right now they are doing none of this and imo it just ends up being 2 wasted shifts. EC is useless and im not even advocating for Avery to have made the team.. but Bourque and Newbury would both first MUCH better then EC And Zucc.
Bourque I'd give a shot to until he proves he hasn't got the toughness of Callahan and can't make it.

Newbury, not impressed.
Hagelin, yes. Also, how far away is Oscar Lindberg? We're talking as a 4th line C unless we move Stepan to get an elite. Lindberg supposedly is really good at faceoffs, hustles hard, just needs development. See HIM as the logical replacement for EC.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I don't mind Wolski/Christ - Step - Zuccarello so long as they aren't doing the checking against top lines.

We should have the Dubi - AA - Cally line, along with Staal (soon hopefully) - Girardi going up against the other team's stars.

I would throw the Wolski/Christ - Stepan - MZA line against the other team's top checkers. It sucks to do this to Step and MZA because it will depress their stats, but let them learn, it will be a positive in the long-term.

This will free up Gabby and Brad to play against second-rate opposition since the stars and the best defenders will be busy with someone else.

This isn't possible in away games, but I would definitely try it at home.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Uh, no. Bourque isn't ready for the NHL. Newbury instead of EC I'm fine with. Its a little ridiculous that everyone's so enamored with having two checking lines when our offense is still struggling and we already have a checking line, as well as a gritty bang it out offensive line. If Rupp wasn't so bad and Feds was playing with Step and MZA like he should, itd be less of a problem. The problem is that until Wolski decides to show up, our left wing is weak.
I hear you. From a standpoint of taking NHL punishment night in and out, I'm not optimistic he'll last. But he'll go down trying, and I'd give him the shot. Maybe he'll surprise, more likely he'll get injured within half a season, but he'll have gotten his shot.

You're entirely right in that he isn't as developed or polished as desired.
But I'd take a chance on his hustle in the third or fourth line...

Old
10-08-2011, 05:04 PM
XLJ

They are going to have to make a trade for a top 6 left winger. I like Dubi playing on Richards line. I hope Torts keeps them together, and let them build chemistry. But you need to add a better lw for Arty and Cally to play with. You then can move Fedotenko to the third line. Feds should improve our bottom 6.

I dont think both Wolski or Zuc will last the entire season as a Ranger. One of them will be gone.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
bernmeister

If memory serves, Randy McNaught, who was badly injured last year if memory serves, had a good camp (not great, but good).

This is guy with NHL size and strength and enough speed, we think.
Would prefer more development, but anyone want to give this guy a shot on our 4th line? He's body checker, but could learn from a Prust and complement with others. He'd help out in the toughness department, probably could hold his own with most enforcers in the league, which would help Prust out a bit.

Again, can we be a little creative and experiment?
Our shall we try the same old same old?????????

Old
10-08-2011, 07:43 PM
boyle2boyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If memory serves, Randy McNaught, who was badly injured last year if memory serves, had a good camp (not great, but good).

This is guy with NHL size and strength and enough speed, we think.
Would prefer more development, but anyone want to give this guy a shot on our 4th line? He's body checker, but could learn from a Prust and complement with others. He'd help out in the toughness department, probably could hold his own with most enforcers in the league, which would help Prust out a bit.

Again, can we be a little creative and experiment?
Our shall we try the same old same old?????????
I don't remember McNaught having a particularly great camp, but he's going to college this year, so he'd be ineligible.

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
OverTheCap

This team still has too many streaky and inconsistent players to be considered a contender. That 3rd line is a liability because they aren't always consistent offensively, and they don't have the physicality or defensive ability to compensate for their inconsistency.

This is why I didn't want players like Wolski or EC on the team this year. Stepan and MZA are understandably streaky... they are still young players and they will go through bouts where they won't contribute offensively. But add in players like Wolski and EC, that's far too many one-dimensional players. The 3rd line doesn't serve a purpose unless they are scoring, and so far it doesn't look like that line is going to be an offensive powerhouse at all.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
NickyFotiu

"Its the end of the world and I feel fine"

Its only been 2 games. Last season I think Prust didnt score till the 24th game and he then ended up with career high 13 goals.

MZA has barely hit the ice (17 minutes in 2 games) but today when he played he looked fine. Give the kid a chance.

NickyFotiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
broadwayblue

Granted it's only been 2 games, but I still feel as I felt all summer...this team needs more offense. IF Wolski isn't the answer we need another top 6 scoring winger or it's going to be a grind to put three pucks in the net every night.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
I don't remember McNaught having a particularly great camp, but he's going to college this year, so he'd be ineligible.
Thanks.
Pity somebody we got that big looking to play physical, recovers from injuries, but is unavailable this year...

Old
10-10-2011, 11:37 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
They are going to have to make a trade for a top 6 left winger. I like Dubi playing on Richards line. I hope Torts keeps them together, and let them build chemistry. But you need to add a better lw for Arty and Cally to play with. You then can move Fedotenko to the third line. Feds should improve our bottom 6.

I dont think both Wolski or Zuc will last the entire season as a Ranger. One of them will be gone.
Both. Wolski, because he's a bum. Zuc, because he's too small, and not fast enough to use his speed to advantage.