HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We didnt even compete

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post

Reimer is a good goalie, feel free cry more if the Jets make you 0-2. You just make MTL fans look bad.
If you guys beat the mighty Sens to start the season 2-0, when is the parade going to start? I need to see if I have time to make it up there for the celebrations.

Old
10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
There is not a big enough difference between Hamrlik, and a lottery pick.

Sorry man, and this is coming from a big Hamrlik fan.

Defense really is not the issue here, the team's ability to score goals 5 on 5 is what is holding them back.

Spacek, Gill, Subban, Gorges, Emelin and Diaz should be more than enough to hold the fort with our strong team defense.

It freaking sucks that Campoli is already out though, I think he would have made a big difference back there.
Its not the difference in Hamrlik, its the whole package

At our weakest point last year it was

Hamrlik - Spacek
Subban-Gill
Henry-Weber(?)

This year however,

Subban-Gill
Gorges-Emelin
Spacek-Diaz
Weber

Its not the difference between Hamrlik, its having a year older gill being asked to be a first pairing guy, which admittedly he can do. Its not having a hamrlik to help stabilize, and it's having two players getting used to North American Ice being in the top 6. I think will be fine, but its not gonna be as bad you think

Old
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Its not the difference in Hamrlik, its the whole package

At our weakest point last year it was

Hamrlik - Spacek
Subban-Gill
Henry-Weber(?)

This year however,

Subban-Gill
Gorges-Emelin
Spacek-Diaz
Weber

Its not the difference between Hamrlik, its having a year older gill being asked to be a first pairing guy, which admittedly he can do. Its not having a hamrlik to help stabilize, and it's having two players getting used to North American Ice being in the top 6. I think will be fine, but its not gonna be as bad you think
Last years we also had Mara and Sopel and Weber in the lineup when Spacek was hurt that was worst than what we have right now.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If you guys beat the mighty Sens to start the season 2-0, when is the parade going to start? I need to see if I have time to make it up there for the celebrations.
I have watched my team miss the post season since the age of 21.. I'm 27 now...Thats 6 seasons with no playoffs and I still watch every game. I am not expecting us to make it this year, but if we do it will be because of Reimer. Unless something goes right for the Leafs for once we are looking at another 8-12th place finish.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:24 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
I have watched my team miss the post season since the age of 21.. I'm 27 now...Thats 6 seasons with no playoffs and I still watch every game. I am not expecting us to make it this year, but if we do it will be because of Reimer. Unless something goes right for the Leafs for once we are looking at another 8-12th place finish.
I'm sorry to tell you this but Reimer is not the answer to your goaltending woes. He is not going to last long in this league unless a lot of key weaknesses in his game are fixed.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:26 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I think the Leafs can hope to make the playoffs this year, I see your team clinching the playoffs 7th or 8th.. Personally Im not sold on Reimer, decent starter at best IMO, but you guys have a strong blueline, big guys with good mobility, I took Phaneuf in my hockey pool since I expect him to come back strong this year, I think Komisarek will have a better season as well, a guy like Gardiner is impressive, Llies will help as well.. Up front its still nothing to write about but you added some good depth in Connolly Lombardi (they are injury prone but still good material when healthy).. Grabovski skates like the wind and I really like the way he competes now.. IMO your line-up is now pretty decent up front.. While we played a mediocre game last thursday, you still won this game rather easily without McArthur Kadri and Connolly in the line-up..

Old
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm sorry to tell you this but Reimer is not the answer to your goaltending woes. He is not going to last long in this league unless a lot of key weaknesses in his game are fixed.
Well i'm glad you were the one who told me.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
In all seriousness that's a fair evaluation. I don't know what I think of Reimer yet, the Leafs seem to be on the right track but unfortunately for you guys virtually everyone in the east except Ottawa should be more competitive than ever.

Old
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think the Leafs can hope to make the playoffs this year, I see your team clinching the playoffs 7th or 8th.. Personally Im not sold on Reimer, decent starter at best IMO, but you guys have a strong blueline, big guys with good mobility, I took Phaneuf in my hockey pool since I expect him to come back strong this year, I think Komisarek will have a better season as well, a guy like Gardiner is impressive, Llies will help as well.. Up front its still nothing to write about but you added some good depth in Connolly Lombardi (they are injury prone but still good material when healthy).. Grabovski skates like the wind and I really like the way he competes now.. IMO your line-up is now pretty decent up front.. While we played a mediocre game last thursday, you still won this game rather easily without McArthur Kadri and Connolly in the line-up..
Yeah, a ton of things would have to go right.

Phaneuf will have to continue his 2nd half play from last year where he looked liked the Phanuef we saw in Calgary.

Komisarek will also have to be his old self. He had a great game on Thursday with 6 hits and 4 blocked shots.

Kessel will need Connolly to stay healthy, but Connolly is already injured because he went head first into the boards in practice. (yeah in practice, who the hell does that anyways?) Kessel somehow got 32 goals last year by playing with Tyler Bozak. A first line center who only had 17 assists all season.

The KGM line will have to duplicate their success from last season.

Reimer will have to play the way he did last year. We almost made the playoffs because of him going 20-10-5 after being called up.

Anyways, I don't see us being that lucky but I guess ya never know. Somethings gotta turn out right one day...

Old
10-08-2011, 08:43 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strange though. Our defense is fine as it is but Campoli, a guy NOBODY had signed on September 25th, would have make a BIG difference?
Big difference in relative to the Habs' defense situation, yes I believe so. For the reason, in your own words, "He'd be sending a couple of guys 1 spot down and THAT'S somehow a difference maker."

Quote:
Starts with the lack of transition game that either experience or lack of talent is all about.
This is actually the number 1 thing that was addressed this season, with the additions of Campoli, Emelin, and Diaz.

Quote:
Starts also with the lack of physicality of most guys back there.
Hammer really doesn't make much a difference in this context.

Quote:
Would Hamrlik solutioned everything? Of course not. But he'd be sending a couple of guys 1 spot down and THAT's somehow a difference maker. We HAD to sign him. And if we would have done it, I can ASSURE you that most people who are defending the Habs not signing him, would have been defending the Habs for doing it.
I wanted to sign him, read any of my posts from the offseason regarding the defense, and Wiz and Gill should have been let go for different reasons, while Hammer should have be resigned.

But the last sentence just doesn't make much sense. Hammer was massively ridiculed last season, for reasons I have no idea why, he was a typical scapegoat. Besides Spacek, he was the most bashed defensemen on the team, by a long shot. So to make any claim that people would have done this, or done that, is unfounded, because bottom line, is most people have a thing against Hamrlik, not the other way around.

Quote:
Again, if your point is to say that there's not a lot of difference between Hamrlik and a lottery pick, I can tell you that there's not a lot, this year, a difference between everybody in that D squad, except Subban, and a lottery pick either.
Simply put, Montreal is not a lottery team. Sorry, not a chance, they will never finish in the bottom 5 of this league with the talent they have, and the coach they have. Not a chance. And any claim that they are only X away from being a lottery pick is completely exaggerated and melodramatic.

Quote:
But sometimes it's just a matter of improving, 'cause that's your goal, and playing it safe when needed. If you want to improve this year, the org. went for the question marks year as far as the D is concerned.
I would consider the two sentences here contradictions. Hamrlik is a stop gap, that would be the definition of playing it safe, not improving.

Do I think they need to acquire a bonafide top 4 defensemen that is young, and has upside? YES, definitely. But Hamrlik is not that player, and the team by and large can do what they need to do without him.

Old
10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Big difference in relative to the Habs' defense situation, yes I believe so. For the reason, in your own words, "He'd be sending a couple of guys 1 spot down and THAT'S somehow a difference maker."
Yet, if you still take my own words, if Campoli moves everyboyd 1 spot down, same would apply to Hamrlik. And one team who should win the conference didn't seem to mind giving a 2 years contract to one guy while the other was sitting at home.

Quote:
This is actually the number 1 thing that was addressed this season, with the additions of Campoli, Emelin, and Diaz.
Well you responded to a quote that had "experience" in it...which is not what Diaz and Emelin are all about.

Quote:
Hammer really doesn't make much a difference in this context.
Hamrlik isn't a punishing d-man yet, he's still big, tough to move and a presence that make him better in 1 on 1 than a whole lot of smaller guys.

Quote:
I wanted to sign him, read any of my posts from the offseason regarding the defense, and Wiz and Gill should have been let go for different reasons, while Hammer should have be resigned.
Great. So did I. And even when he was suppose to be struggling, I was a fan understanding that he was playing a role that wasn't his, and that he was playing it for a long time. He was a victim of circumstances. Something he would not have been this year with us based on the fact that we all think Subban can play a bigger role and based on the fact that we all think Markov will come back.

Quote:
But the last sentence just doesn't make much sense. Hammer was massively ridiculed last season, for reasons I have no idea why, he was a typical scapegoat. Besides Spacek, he was the most bashed defensemen on the team, by a long shot. So to make any claim that people would have done this, or done that, is unfounded, because bottom line, is most people have a thing against Hamrlik, not the other way around.
Let just say this is directed towards the ones who keeps changing their mind depending what the org. does. If it doesn't fit you, it was not directed to you then.

Quote:
Simply put, Montreal is not a lottery team. Sorry, not a chance, they will never finish in the bottom 5 of this league with the talent they have, and the coach they have. Not a chance. And any claim that they are only X away from being a lottery pick is completely exaggerated and melodramatic.
That's a point I guess I misunderstood 'cause I don't understand your reply or I guess my reply for that matter. In no way am I implying that we'll finish bottom 5, with or without Hamrlik. I thought you meant that losing Hamrlik would not make us finish bottom 5, to which I reply that losing everybody BUT Subban, would also NOT make us finish in the bottom 5. Though at one point, I believe losing might hurt us immensely, I guess you are right. The Habs will make the necessary adjustment so we don't finish in the bottom 5. I agree. Yet, it's not about that anymore. It's about becoming one of the better teams in the league.

Quote:
I would consider the two sentences here contradictions. Hamrlik is a stop gap, that would be the definition of playing it safe, not improving.
You improve when the guy you retain is better than the guy replacing him. I believe Hamrlik is better than Gill. Also believe Hamrlik is better than everybody but Subban and Gorges. At worst, it makes him #3 right now. #4 as soon as Markov comes back. Having Hamrlik would improve the defense we have now. The ideal is to have a much better team. But we weren't in an ideal position. I believe they had no choice to sign Markov unless they did a poor job medically. If they were sure everything was going to be fine, they had no choice to sign him, was the best guy available. Yet, you HAD to be solid in case something happened. And not rely on 2 who had never played in the NHL etc.

Quote:
Do I think they need to acquire a bonafide top 4 defensemen that is young, and has upside? YES, definitely. But Hamrlik is not that player, and the team by and large can do what they need to do without him.
Everybody would welcome such player. It's not what it's all about. It is sometimes to do with what you can control. When Plan A doesn't work, you go to Plan B. Funny part is that I believe Hamrlik was Plan B until he asked for 1 more year which freaks me out based on all those years we've given to a whole lot of players in this team who we already start to regret and for the others, who we will regret 2 years before it ends. 3 years? Yes, way too much. And I would not have done it. But 2 years? Come on, you get a good player this year for sure and if he regresses next year....well you live with it ,cause you tell yourself it's the last year....Same way people feel good about Spacek and why you'll see so many "Who cares about Jaro, he's gone anyway" when he's not going to play correctly.

Old
10-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great. So did I. And even when he was suppose to be struggling, I was a fan understanding that he was playing a role that wasn't his, and that he was playing it for a long time. He was a victim of circumstances. Something he would not have been this year with us based on the fact that we all think Subban can play a bigger role and based on the fact that we all think Markov will come back.
I know it was only the first game but man we saw a lot of the same mistakes from Subban that we did last year. I guess I should've expected this but I was kind of thinking that maybe we wouldn't see those kinds of mistakes again too often again this year.

I think the expectations on him this season are sky high and a lot of folks figured that he'd be ready to anchor our defense for this season. I'm thinking that it's too early for us to expect this as he's coming off his rookie season and he's going to continue to have growing pains. He's a spectacular offensive blueliner right now but he makes a lot of unforced defensive mistakes that lead to turnovers and I think it will be a while for him to develop that part of his game. I'm a little worried about our blueline now.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:29 AM
guest1467

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying WS. I don't however think losing Hamrlik will have that much of a difference on the team in the regular season. It is definitely a different matter in the playoffs though, where strong steady 5 on 5 defensemen come at a premium.

Old
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Step 1 of Reimer being exposed for his weak puck tracking ability.

Stay tuned.

Old
10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

Hamrlik may still be a competent Dman but at his age he's only a stopgap. By the time Beaulieu and/or Tinordi arrive he'll have retired. It'll be a while before the Habs are a fully constituted contending team rather than one that might get hot for a few weeks and upset the Caps and Pens. Ultimately its weaknesses were exposed. The rebuilding must go on.

Old
10-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Hamrlik may still be a competent Dman but at his age he's only a stopgap. By the time Beaulieu and/or Tinordi arrive he'll have retired. It'll be a while before the Habs are a fully constituted contending team rather than one that might get hot for a few weeks and upset the Caps and Pens. Ultimately its weaknesses were exposed. The rebuilding must go on.
So are Gill and Spacek. Total stopgaps. So I guess we could say we didn't need 3 stopgaps.....I agree. Hamrlik would have been my #1 choice. But we decided to go with the contract already in hand, and the 1-year contract. Which to me aren't hockey decisions but contract decisions....And the fact that we have NO d-man in Hamilton ready to take a spot makes me even more think that a 2-year contract was not awful. Our backup plans are in the CHL.

Old
10-09-2011, 09:29 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Step 1 of Reimer being exposed for his weak puck tracking ability.

Stay tuned.
Like Ive always said, reimer is not that impressive to me

Old
10-09-2011, 09:39 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Like Ive always said, reimer is not that impressive to me
He will be exposed for many factors.
Puck Tracking.
Rebound Control.
Slow Lateral Movement.
And his propensity to play deep in his net.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
He will be exposed for many factors.
Puck Tracking.
Rebound Control.
Slow Lateral Movement.
And his propensity to play deep in his net.
Well you can't say he's a bad goalie but I agree that he's not worthy of his star goalie hype.

Closed Thread