HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Sabres - 10/08/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS

Old
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
cheap77

vCash: 500
I thought the Kings played all right but not great. In the end LA just couldn't get those bounces to put points on the board. Buffalo played well enough and got the bounces they needed and that is why they won.

I still think LA is the better team, but Buffalo came out strong and they were rewarded for it.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:35 PM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

all i can say is Kopitar i love you. Kopitar or nothing.

KingKopitar11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Forget about the game, Kopi is leading the league in goals and second in points!

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Scottkmlps

It looked like a team that travelled a **** load of miles over the last week.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Firenze
Robynho

Bruins last year in Europe : 1-1-0.

The cup is ours!

Firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Why did Stevens move JJ to the right side if that's his weak side? JJ already has trouble playing defense so it doesn't quite make sense to make it even harder for him to do so.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:47 PM
ean

My take on todays game:

Offense-
Top 6: Kopitar was outstanding. Williams playing with great energy. Dustin brown was his usual self with a bunch of random shots and not really using his linemates. Richards...who? Gagne just sucks, to be honest. Richardson skated hard but the reality is hes fit for the third line and nothing more.

Bottom 6: Stoll skated hard but couldnt get much going alongside Parse and Moreau who are both useless. Why was clifford not on the third line?

Westgarth shouldnt be on the ice unless he is dropping the gloves.

I think lewis would have made a good third line wing so he could use his speed on the big ice.

Defense: Doughty was good offensively getting things going, average defensively. JJ was his usual self -1 with some turnovers. I think he also got out muscled on a loose puck by Gerbe. Wtf? Scuderi, mitchell, and greene were alright. They did what you can expect from them.

Bernier was a little shakey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Williams made about 6 passes to his imaginary teammate before making a tape to tape pass with Kopi. He was amazing yesterday and I love the guy but he just had a bad game today. I am a big Willy fan but I have to point out when he plays horrible and he did . He even lost the puck on a few rushes today but no one really seemed to be able to keep control of the puck
Youre mistakened.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKingsBR View Post
Bruins last year in Europe : 1-1-0.

The cup is ours!

We should plan the parade!

Old
10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

honestly, why is JJ on his weakside..? working on his weakside should of been offseason.. not now? doesnt make sense

KingKopitar11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Why did Stevens move JJ to the right side if that's his weak side? JJ already has trouble playing defense so it doesn't quite make sense to make it even harder for him to do so.
Yeah, can someone answer this. Is it because he wants him to get better on his backhand or something?

Old
10-08-2011, 04:58 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Yeah, can someone answer this. Is it because he wants him to get better on his backhand or something?
The only thing I can think of is that it sets him up for a one timer since he's a left handed shot. I think Fox mentioned it in the telecast today.

If that's the case, I can understand a switch on the PP, but not 5 on 5.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
well as long the coaching staff is here we could have Ovechkin and wouldnt score goals.
Boardbattling leads nowhere.... it is a toll not a gamestyle.
Balling up in front of own and opponent net makes it gambling. Nothing more.
We never can handle fast and skilled teams this way.

Can't wait to play Detroit, Nashville or St.Louis.

Our problem is that in Playoof not to many slow and untalented teams are left.
But what do i know......
Notice same problems for 5 years doesnt mean they are really there.

What Kompon is doing on a professional hockey club is far beyind me.
From what i know he was the video scout in St.Louis.
Shouldn't he be able to see the opponent weakness and adjust out team offense to take advantage ?????
If yes, why isn't he doing it.
I mean Murrays hockey system flexibilty of a railraod is one thing, but the offense coach should be able to adjust the offense or we dont need any.
Alone the idea to position the blueliner against onetimer direction shows me something.
Of course there could be the possibillity that 29 other teams dont have a defense weakness............ but this chance is very slim.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:04 PM
ScoreZeGoals
I'm bored...

A fitting end to an awful day. I have a feeling that all the travel is taking it's toll on the boys

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I hate when the Kings play horrible just before a long break in the schedule. It's not going to get any easier playing in NJ and Philly next week. Kings could be 1-3 before they play their first game at Staples and it's against the Blues.

What happens around here if the Kings are 1-4?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:39 PM
deeshamrock

Code:
Great to see Kopitar scoring. We need him consistently rolling all year. People keep saying Richards is going to open things up for Kopi. I think it's the other way around.
Oh I think he already has opened up the ice and taken pressure of Kopi just by facing that top lines so Kopi doesn't have to (richars line yesterday and Vanek today). That gives Kopi a lot more ice and freedom out there. And what makes him such a good compliment to Kopi, it's a system that will work, and work better when Brown picks up his game a bit and Gagne is put back with Richards. They played together almost five years...and Gagne should be more comfortable there and not feel as pressured.

Oh and Richards does little leadership things, like getting in the Sabres faces when they ran Bernier ( if he's on the ice and one of his teammates is run at , he'll get fired up, he hates that)

And this from the third period
Code:
The Royal Half (@theroyalhalf) on Twitter
Mike Richards is standing on the bench yelling at the team. I ****ing love this guy.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Code:
Great to see Kopitar scoring. We need him consistently rolling all year. People keep saying Richards is going to open things up for Kopi. I think it's the other way around.
Oh I think he already has opened up the ice and taken pressure of Kopi just by facing that top lines so Kopi doesn't have to (richars line yesterday and Vanek today). That gives Kopi a lot more ice and freedom out there. And what makes him such a good compliment to Kopi, it's a system that will work, and work better when Brown picks up his game a bit and Gagne is put back with Richards. They played together almost five years...and Gagne should be more comfortable there and not feel as pressured.

Oh and Richards does little leadership things, like getting in the Sabres faces when they ran Bernier ( if he's on the ice and one of his teammates is run at , he'll get fired up, he hates that)

And this from the third period
Code:
The Royal Half (@theroyalhalf) on Twitter
Mike Richards is standing on the bench yelling at the team. I ****ing love this guy.
I wonder who Richie was talking about. Maybe Kopitar.

edit: Lol, nvm. Just reread the tweet.

Last edited by Cruel11: 10-08-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old
10-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings simply didn't keep Ryan Miller busy. Not much traffic in front of the net, some questionable penalty calls, stupid penalties (Westgarth), breakdowns in the defensive zone... these games in Europe still feel like pre-season hockey. I think they'll start gelling and getting back to their normal intensity when they return to North America and play New Jersey and Philly.

Oh and Bernier didn't look to sharp either, kind of slow reacting, left some holes open. Some of it was a result of Buffalo putting bodies around him, but I think he could've been sharper in net. Quick bounced back after letting in his questionable goal, so Bernier has to battle through those. He had a slow start last season, lets hope the same doesn't happen again for him.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 10-08-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:05 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I hate when the Kings play horrible just before a long break in the schedule. It's not going to get any easier playing in NJ and Philly next week. Kings could be 1-3 before they play their first game at Staples and it's against the Blues.

What happens around here if the Kings are 1-4?
If the Kings (and you) are worried about Philly and NJ then they aren't the contender we think they are.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:20 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
If the Kings (and you) are worried about Philly and NJ then they aren't the contender we think they are.
This.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I disagree with this.. If the kings have the mindset that they can breeze through teams, then they are even further away from contention than we believe.

This team is built on grit and hustle..and if they take nights off, they can lose. They need to have the killer mindset on everygame to push them to the next level.

I can see what you are saying as well, but i would rather have the kings take every opponent seriously.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Pucknut50

1st We did not play on Euro size rinks.
2nd Buffalo is a very good team.
3rd Only the first goal I would consider soft.
4th This will not be the last game where the Kings don't play well.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
I disagree with this.. If the kings have the mindset that they can breeze through teams, then they are even further away from contention than we believe.

This team is built on grit and hustle..and if they take nights off, they can lose. They need to have the killer mindset on everygame to push them to the next level.

I can see what you are saying as well, but i would rather have the kings take every opponent seriously.
If your first line is the case, then there is no need to put what team you are playing. Simply that their is a game....by saying its NJ and Philly and Stl, the implication is that those teams are some how superior to many other teams in the league. (maybe the Kings)

Also disagree that the team is built on Grit and Hustle...that may be the system, gone are the days where the only way to win was to outwork the other team and get "dirty" goals.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Quattro

Game 2 folks. Game 2.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:59 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

I travel for business and I feel like garbage traveling half as much as the Kings have over the last 2 weeks. I'm sure travel fatigue is a factor. Add to it a crapload of games (most of them meaningless) in a very short time.

That 8 hour time change is just awful. Right when you feel like it's time for bed (11PM west coast time), it's 7AM in London or 8AM in Germany - time to get up. It's brutal.

A split in Europe is just fine. The days off coming up will do them well to get them adjusted again to the US time zones. It's always easier to adjust when flying west.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:09 PM
KingsFanLynn*

Kopi will lead the team with goals this year, he has a hunger from when he went down...he wants this bad.

KingsFanLynn* is offline   Reply With Quote