HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery waived (10/5: Clears waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

vCash: 500
All I can ask is this question...... Q-What do the New York Rangers and Sean Avery have in common?

A- Neither have won an NHL game this season.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
All I can ask is this question...... Q-What do the New York Rangers and Sean Avery have in common?

Neither have played an NHL game this season.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:34 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Good for you.

Which proved me right thanks! My argument wasn't that he drew LESS penalties than he took, it's simply that relatively speaking the ratio is a non factor.

I did? Did you do a name change from MAYO to stan the caddy? You nosed in on my response to MAYO. Whom made it sound as if Avery's ability to draw penalties was a valuable asset.

I never said he was.

Yea that's my bad then. Didn't read your convo with MAYO, just saw your post and commented on it. All offseason I've heard people arguing about how the bad outweighs the good with respect to his penalties. Avery is still in the positive and before Torts took over he was one of the best in the league when it came to that ratio. As far as the past two seasons have gone, that discrepancy has definitely been smaller than usual.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post

I see Blue hasn't lent you any of his clues.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I see Blue hasn't lent you any of his clues.
Am I wrong?

Paw prints are like wins..... haven't seen one yet.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Neither have played an NHL game this season.

Well played.

Old
10-09-2011, 05:37 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
You're arguing for arguings sake.

When you can't establish a forecheck you don't have spark. It means you're not pressuring the other team enough. 15 shots today against a mediocre defense is proof that they weren't generating opportunities. And 15 shots against good goaltending--good *** luck. You're not going to win too many.

Torts is smart enough to realize that. That doesn't mean he's going to bring Avery back but his team has got to get more aggressive if he expects it to go anywhere.
the Rangers look the same now as with Avery before. Hard working, short on goals, so how have they been hurt by his absence? And it remains to be seen how this will pan out. If it turns out badly,either they are short on talent or the system is flawed.

Old
10-09-2011, 07:29 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
the Rangers look the same now as with Avery before. Hard working, short on goals, so how have they been hurt by his absence? And it remains to be seen how this will pan out. If it turns out badly,either they are short on talent or the system is flawed.
I didn't necessarily argue for Avery though. I pointed out that against Anaheim they didn't have any spark. You said they did. I pointed out they didn't have a forecheck going which is more in Avery's repertoire of assets than it is in Christensen's--who almost never hits. Anyway without the forecheck they did not generate enough shots against a mediocre defense--and Hiller is a good goalie. Basically we were lucky to get a point.

Now Torts has a week to sit his team down and play this game to them a couple times and maybe they'll get the idea they need to be more aggressive on the forecheck and there won't be a need to make any changes to the current lineup. We have guys in Hartford that might be able to help as well--if not Avery--Mitchell has NHL experience and had a pretty good preseason, maybe Thuresson--the one time we saw him in preseason he was involved or even Newbury--maybe not the most skilled player but lots of grit. I might even say Weise but as luck would have it he's out of the picture. By next year Kreider or Miller. CK should be a great addition with his size and wheels.

As for Christensen--because to me my posts here are as much about him as they are about Avery--if he's going to stay around he's absolutely going to have to be productive when a game he is in is on the line because of a shootout. Otherwise I don't even want this guy on the team. He's as non-agressive as they come--mediocre defensively (like Avery he's a bottom liner that doesn't pk--though Avery did that under Renney he wasn't all that good at it) and doesn't show up for at least half the games he is in. Beyond that he doesn't seem--has never seemed comfortable as a New York Ranger--interview of him yesterday on the telecast just further evidence of that as he stumbled through another one.

Old
10-09-2011, 07:48 AM
NickyFotiu

Have any of the European teams shown an interest in signing him?

I know all the NHL teams passed on him.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
petejudge

nobody is expecting avery to come in and score goals for this team, but his forechecking is what allows us to take more shots and wears down the defense. we've had absolutely 0 forecheck so far and it's shown in the fact that we are barely getting pucks on net.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
nobody is expecting avery to come in and score goals for this team, but his forechecking is what allows us to take more shots and wears down the defense. we've had absolutely 0 forecheck so far and it's shown in the fact that we are barely getting pucks on net.
He did also chip in with 21 assists last year, which is pretty good for playing 10 mins per game on third and fourth lines. And that was a bad year for him. The guy is a proven contributor at this level. I can't say the same for a few others on the team.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
NickyFotiu

I keep reading about how good a player Sean is yet I also see the facts.

1. He took almost as many penalties as he drew last season. He had the worst margin of any Rangers forward in that regard.

2. He scored 3 goals in 80 games last season.

3. The Rangers were the only NHL team to put in a waiver claim for him 3 years ago.

4. No team in the NHL claimed him off waivers last week

5. Despite his agent saying they were looking at teams in Europe it appears no European team has signed him.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
nyrleetch

Avery didn't go to Europe due to financial reasons. It makes the most sense for him to stay in the AHL.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Avery didn't go to Europe due to financial reasons. It makes the most sense for him to stay in the AHL.
Financial reasons? The guy made 12 million over the past 3 years and that's not including his other endeavors (Warren 77, etc.)

Fact is, maybe he's just not that nice of a guy and with his kind of talent, it's not worth putting up with.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
What financial reasons? His agent said he was looking to play in Europe. In fact Slats gave his agent permission to find another NHL team or team in Europe around a week before he was cut by the Rangers.

If the Rangers loaned him to Europe (as they agreed) wouldn't he have gotten his full 4 mill NHL salary? Haven't past players gotten their full NHL salary when they were loaned to overseas teams?

Old
10-09-2011, 01:48 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Financial reasons? The guy made 12 million over the past 3 years and that's not including his other endeavors (Warren 77, etc.)

Fact is, maybe he's just not that nice of a guy and with his kind of talent, it's not worth putting up with.
Maybe he would rather stay close to NY to worry about those businesses?

Old
10-09-2011, 01:49 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
What financial reasons? His agent said he was looking to play in Europe. In fact Slats gave his agent permission to find another NHL team or team in Europe around a week before he was cut by the Rangers.

If the Rangers loaned him to Europe (as they agreed) wouldn't he have gotten his full 4 mill NHL salary? Haven't past players gotten their full NHL salary when they were loaned to overseas teams?
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
At this point, doesn't look as tho Europe is option for Sean Avery because it wouldn't make economic sense. Looks like its CT Whale for him.
7 Oct

Old
10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
At this point, doesn't look as tho Europe is option for Sean Avery because it wouldn't make economic sense. Looks like its CT Whale for him.
7 Oct
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate that.

I dont know exactly what Bob is referring to. I was under the impression he would get his full 4 million dollar salary whether he played for the Rangers, another NHL team off waivers, the Whale or he was loaned to Europe.

Maybe Bob is speaking about some non NHL business aspect or maybe that was agent spin because no teams in Europe wanted him. The agent previously said multiple times they were looking for a team in Europe.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate that.

I dont know exactly what Bob is referring to. I was under the impression he would get his full 4 million dollar salary whether he played for the Rangers, another NHL team off waivers, the Whale or he was loaned to Europe.

Maybe Bob is speaking about some non NHL business aspect or maybe that was agent spin because no teams in Europe wanted him. The agent previously said multiple times they were looking for a team in Europe.
Yeah i'm not really sure on the money stuff as well. I thought if they got loaned they would get the full but maybe like you said it makes more sense for him to stay with all the non nhl stuff he does in NY.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
DrAStuart

Usually a "loan" means that the NHL team continues to pay the salary and the Euro team pays the NHL team. This usually means the NHL team takes less than they're paying but it reduces their net loss on a player they aren't going to use on the big team. I can't believe that the NYR wouldn't have done that for Avery...but I can believe there wasn't much interest amongst European teams

Old
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
gluvhand

Having to pay astronomical taxes, the Euro being worth more than the dollar (I don't know what he would get paid with), having to pay for accomodations, and not being close to his outside of hockey business interests all sound like valid financial considerations to me.

Old
10-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Having to pay astronomical taxes, the Euro being worth more than the dollar (I don't know what he would get paid with), having to pay for accomodations, and not being close to his outside of hockey business interests all sound like valid financial considerations to me.
Ahh makes sense now. thanks for clarifying

Closed Thread