HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Special Teams continue to be a problem?

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2005, 05:00 PM
flyguy178

vCash: 500
Will Special Teams continue to be a problem?

After 5 games our PP% is 22nd in the league (12.8%) and PK% is 27th in the league (at 76.4%). I feel like this weakness is being overlooked somewhat since we still have be scoring a lot of goals and recently winning games, but with the new Penalty ridden NHL, I feel like if we continue like this its going to be a significant issue. My question is do you think this will continue, or can we pick it up with the sheer talent we have on this team?

Old
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
cycle_it

well watching last night's game gives me hope for the talent we have......

Old
10-16-2005, 05:25 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy178
After 5 games our PP% is 22nd in the league (12.8%) and PK% is 27th in the league (at 76.4%). I feel like this weakness is being overlooked somewhat since we still have be scoring a lot of goals and recently winning games, but with the new Penalty ridden NHL, I feel like if we continue like this its going to be a significant issue. My question is do you think this will continue, or can we pick it up with the sheer talent we have on this team?
Nothing to worry about yet. If, come December, PP is 3% and PK is 12%, then there might be a problem.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:12 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think they miss Wayne Fleming a bit, but Hitchcock is a good enough coach that they will get better on special teams.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think they miss Wayne Fleming a bit, but Hitchcock is a good enough coach that they will get better on special teams.
Fleming is still with the team...

You're thinking of Hartsburg, who has been replaced by Terry Murray.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:41 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I don't see it being a problem. These guys need to play together more. You have to let these get used to playing together, not many guys did in the preseason. I think we will be alright.

Old
10-16-2005, 09:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Fleming is still with the team...

You're thinking of Hartsburg, who has been replaced by Terry Murray.
my mistake, thanks.

Old
10-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Brad*

Too much talent up front to be worried yet.

Old
10-17-2005, 12:07 AM
flyguy178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Too much talent up front to be worried yet.
This is my general sentiment for the PP as well...but its the PK which worries me mostly.

Old
10-17-2005, 03:11 AM
psycho_dad

Still can't quite understand why Hitchcock refuses to use Pitkšnen-Johnsson in the #1 PP

Now with Johnsson-Desjardins neither one has a straight shot. At least switch their sides so they can shoot straight from each others passes. They had loads of time 5 on 3, but the opponent had it easy defending the forwards because neither one of the defenders could shoot.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
This is my general sentiment for the PP as well...but its the PK which worries me mostly.
Why? we have more defensively responsible players than anyone else, not to mention you can have hands of stone and still clear the puck. Forwards capable of the PK include Forsberg-Gagne-Zeus-Radio-Primeau-Kapanen*-Stevenson-Richards-Carter. We can cycle three different PK lines if need be. On defense we have Hatcher-Johnsson-Rathje-Pitkanen-Desjardins and that aint not bad.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:44 AM
i am dave

Is it just me, or has Hitch been using whole lines on the PP?

Like, I can't figure out how Brian Savage gets on a PP unit unless there is an in-game injury.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Is it just me, or has Hitch been using whole lines on the PP?

Like, I can't figure out how Brian Savage gets on a PP unit unless there is an in-game injury.
erm... we don't exactly have a ton of "finishers" on this team... doesn't shock me at all that he's getting on the PP.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
erm... we don't exactly have a ton of "finishers" on this team... doesn't shock me at all that he's getting on the PP.
Well why not use Knuble on the point. Hitchcock has done nothing but praise him for that rocket of a shot which could become invaluable on the PP. Another suggestion would be to use Primeau as a mucker who stands infront of the net, waiting for the garbage.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Banger

Numbers early in the year can defiinitely be skewed by a bad/good game or two. As time goes on and if nothing changed I would be concerned but it's only 5 games so looking at %'s and drawing conclusions would be premature IMO. I think at about the 20 game mark (1/4 season) is a good time to assess the situation.

Once we have Hatcher playing and in shape, Forsberg in shape, and some additional time playing together I think they will be fine. They have a bunch of talent, good coaches so there's no reason that they shouldn't be in the top 1/3 of the league in PP/PK.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:45 AM
jb**

Not sure why Branko is on the PP and Savage on pk. Glad to see Primeau on pp as he could get a lot goals in fornt by picking up the garbage. Probably get roasted for this suggestion, wouldn't mind seeing Brashear on the pp on a limited basis. against teams with smaller Dman to try to collect some cheap goals in front

Old
10-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Winston Wolf

What's really amazing is that Gagne has 10 points in 5 games, yet he only has one point on the PP. We get this PP up and running and this team will be scary.

Old
10-23-2005, 04:01 PM
flyguy178

Even though we are winning, the Power Play needs to be addressed. Last night showed no signs of improvement.

Last night - 1/8
Isles game - 2/12
Pens game - 2/8
1st Tor Game - 0/4
Devils Game - 0/5
Opener - 1/10

Total - 6/47

Rarely am I a voice of negativity when it comes to the Flyers, but I just don't want to see a team with this much skill have a terrible powerplay yet again. Its like a stigma with the flyers organization every year that our PP has to suck. We really need to get away from the dump and chase mentality for this to work.

Old
10-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Brad*

The powerplay is at 18% for the last three games, which would rank the Flyers around 14th in the NHL. It's getting there, don't worry. With so many new players, it was obvious it would take certain aspects of the team longer than others to develop.

Old
10-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Even though we are winning, the Power Play needs to be addressed. Last night showed no signs of improvement.

Last night - 1/8
Isles game - 2/12
Pens game - 2/8
1st Tor Game - 0/4
Devils Game - 0/5
Opener - 1/10

Total - 6/47

Rarely am I a voice of negativity when it comes to the Flyers, but I just don't want to see a team with this much skill have a terrible powerplay yet again. Its like a stigma with the flyers organization every year that our PP has to suck. We really need to get away from the dump and chase mentality for this to work.
they were 2nd in the league last season... give it time. playing with Forsberg takes getting used to -- Knuble talked about it in an interview between periods -- and most of our PP staples up front have moved on to different teams.

we'll be fine.

Closed Thread