HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should have kept Pouliot instead of Kostitsyn

Old
10-08-2011, 03:11 PM
dcal64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I speak French therefore I should play for the Habs.
In theory you should, in reality you will probably end up playing in Tampa

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
rebuttal pros: they can write AK

cons for Pouliot: BP= Boston Pizza
Checkmate, OP!

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
When has Pouliot broken 50 points? 20 goals? Been near leading a team in hits?

This thread is beyond all stupid.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Boucher isn't some wizard, he's not going to stop Pouliot from being a terrible hockey player. Boucher couldn't even get much out of Gagne.

I really wanted to like Pouliot, but not having him is addition by subtraction.
what are you talking about?

how much of the lighting did you watch last year?

Gagne battle injury problems most of the year, but by the end of the season he was playing great hockey, and was instrumental in their playoff run to the 7th game of the eastern conference finals.

He had 3g 4a, -15 in 20 games (.35ppg) from October-December...

From January to the playoffs, as his health improved, he put up 14g, 19a +3 in 43 games (.76ppg)

and then 5g, 7a, 12pts +6 in 15 games (.80ppg) in the playoffs

his career ppg is .77, so I'd say, at least statistically speaking, Boucher got about as much out of Gagne as could be expected, perhaps more given his recent injury problems.

A great coach is exactly that... a wizard... they wave their magic wand and where once there was a throw away, KAZAM... there is now a useful NHLer finally living up to his potential (see Purcell, Ted... Bergenheim, Sean)

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
the same Julien who didnt play him in their first game ?
What has to do with anything? Pouliot has still ways to go if he ever can have the commitment to play the game. So he didn't play in the 1st, strangely, he's there in the 2nd. It's not like it's been 20 games now and he has only played in 2. And like it or not, that's the Stanley Cup Champions we're talking about. A team that had the success they had because they have some pretty depth. It's not like Pouliot wasn't dressed playing for Ottawa....

I tell you sometimes, double standards rides a whole lot. We shouldn't panic after 1 game but Julien doesn't play Pouliot after game 1 and he thinks Pouliot is an AHL'er....

Again, I said that I think he could flourish. Didn't say he will. And didn't say that flourish means top league scorer. In Pouliot's case, just being a regular as the season progresses and have a 15 goals - 35 points-40 points regularly for that season and the seasons to come will be flourishing. Jury is still out though big time. But so is the pure talent.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:51 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What has to do with anything? Pouliot has still ways to go if he ever can have the commitment to play the game. So he didn't play in the 1st, strangely, he's there in the 2nd. It's not like it's been 20 games now and he has only played in 2. And like it or not, that's the Stanley Cup Champions we're talking about. A team that had the success they had because they have some pretty depth. It's not like Pouliot wasn't dressed playing for Ottawa....

I tell you sometimes, double standards rides a whole lot. We shouldn't panic after 1 game but Julien doesn't play Pouliot after game 1 and he thinks Pouliot is an AHL'er....

Again, I said that I think he could flourish. Didn't say he will. And didn't say that flourish means top league scorer. In Pouliot's case, just being a regular as the season progresses and have a 15 goals - 35 points-40 points regularly for that season and the seasons to come will be flourishing. Jury is still out though big time. But so is the pure talent.
SC champs or not, the guy is supposed to be better than our 40+ pts A.K. and there was no room for him even on a 4th line ? really ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

On the flip side though, does he really bring anything you can't get out of a Darche type player? I used to think he did but now I'm starting to think that he doesn't have it in him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Evil Ted

They shouldn't have kept either. Pouliot is like a poor mans AK which is pretty bad. There isn't enough room in the top 6 for a player as inconsistant as AK imo too and he doesn't fit well in a bottom 6 spot either at his price.

They would be smart to move him for something of value.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

lol this thread.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:19 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
is this thread a joke?

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Stradale

This guy?

And this is a picture of him at what he does best.

Last edited by Stradale: 10-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
SouthernHab

Irrelevant thread.

Pouliot was Martin's whipping boy last year.

AK is Martin's whipping boy this year.

Would not matter either way.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
SC champs or not, the guy is supposed to be better than our 40+ pts A.K. and there was no room for him even on a 4th line ? really ?
While I'm writing on this thread, nowhere do I suggest he's better than AKost. The topic kinda changed a little. AKost is by far a superior player and I believe we'll see it the day he leaves the Habs...though that's another story....or is it the same....

But answering your post as it is, well while I don't say he will or won't, we have already seen players not good enough for our coaches and ended up doing better elsewhere...and we saw it from other teams as well. No, again, seeing that a coach prefers a guy over another is not ALWAYS relevant. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It comes down to coach preference, to style of play, to the player's own determination etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
On the flip side though, does he really bring anything you can't get out of a Darche type player? I used to think he did but now I'm starting to think that he doesn't have it in him.
Not really. I know we used to love the Pouliot that was scoring all the time. Then for some reasons, confidence left him and was never able to gain it back. Don't get me wrong, CLEARLY, Pouliot has to look himself in the mirror. But it's tough with that kind of talent, to let go a player without really knowing what he can give you more. Clearly, coaches can work better with certain types of players. And strangely enough, we traded a guy, Lats, who was clearly not Martin's type of player for another guy who's a Lats clone as far as effort, defensive coverage and all.....And surprisingly, it didn't work either.

Just to be sure....having written all of that....the subject of the thread in itself makes no sense. Kostitysn over Pouliot a 1000 times and more. Should be closed since the subject has changed.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Gary320

I think even Kostitsyn haters would rather keep Kostitsyn over Pouliot. That says alot.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I think even Kostitsyn haters would rather keep Kostitsyn over Pouliot. That says alot.
We'd have to ask Benoit Brunet.

Old
10-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Bud2790

Pouliot was used for just under 8 minutes tonight...even Thornton played more haha

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:51 PM
habsrule22

when a so call skill player plays less then the thug on the team in a 4-1 game. It is not a good sign

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Bud2790

He had the least ice time from anyone in the game...except the 2 backup goalies.

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Pound for pound i thought Pouliot was the best player on the ice tonight (meaning time he got and what he did with it) julien is easing him in to the system and not making him log big minutes. But he looked really good, I was impressed and a bit surprised. He had a thunderous hit on his first shift, played well defensively, kept plays alive, used his reach to break up plays and dangle around him, he was honestly just fun to watch. I hope he keeps his chemistry going with Seguin because Seguin could use a good winger to feed his passes to.

Overall I like what I'm seeing and if he keeps it going I'll be happy for Benoit that he put it together, he's a good guy with a sad story from juniors and im just pulling for him.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:30 AM
number 11

as crappy as kostitsyn can be, he doesn't fall 12 times every shift for absolutely no reason at all

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:20 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I am starting to wonder whether it would have been smarter to keep Pouliot instead of Andrei.

Pros:
1. Save about 2 million in cap space
2. Could have gotten a 2nd rounder for Andrei (better asset management)
3. AK is a UFA at end of year, probably will lose him for nothing
4. Pouliot speaks french
5. Pouliot can fight

Cons:

I can't think of any since I find their talent level the same, and they are both inconsistent.
yes but he is not a quebecer!

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Boardish

lol @ everyone in this thread saying 'neither because Kostitsyn is so inconsistent'. Wake up, he's a 40-50pts player. I'm sorry to break it to you, but EVERY player in the league putting 40-50 pts is inconsistent. Else he would have 82pts seasons.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Pound for pound i thought Pouliot was the best player on the ice tonight (meaning time he got and what he did with it) julien is easing him in to the system and not making him log big minutes. But he looked really good, I was impressed and a bit surprised. He had a thunderous hit on his first shift, played well defensively, kept plays alive, used his reach to break up plays and dangle around him, he was honestly just fun to watch. I hope he keeps his chemistry going with Seguin because Seguin could use a good winger to feed his passes to.

Overall I like what I'm seeing and if he keeps it going I'll be happy for Benoit that he put it together, he's a good guy with a sad story from juniors and im just pulling for him.
well good for him. i was sad when the habs didn't resign him but, he's just not that good. it's possible he starts strong but eventually, he'll be the same.

bottom line is: lemaire couldn't get anything out of him, martin couldn't get anything out of him, now it's julien's turn

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:30 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I'm not a fan of either, but Pouliot is just terrible. At least when Akost is on he's dynamite, and generally he's not having a negative influence. Pouliot on the other hand is actively costing us when he's out there.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
well good for him. i was sad when the habs didn't resign him but, he's just not that good. it's possible he starts strong but eventually, he'll be the same.

bottom line is: lemaire couldn't get anything out of him, martin couldn't get anything out of him, now it's julien's turn
He wasn't exactly producing in the AHL either.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote