HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More shots on goal....what's the answer

Old
10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
More shots on goal....what's the answer

2 games is a small sample but I see much of the same frustrating periphery play from last year as far as generating offense goes....

I actually thought the young D held tough.... But is the rest of the team just too D focused in helping them out?

My solution for the Rangers remains the same....

Get Lundqvist his 2.3 goal lead = wins

10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
stan the caddy

Forecheck. You need to play the game in their end of the ice.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

They do forecheck.... They just do it as a Defense move....they never capitalize on it....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:22 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

They're getting zero help from the defense in generating any offensive pressure. The gap between forwards and defense is huge, and the d is backing out way to early. I can't hardly think if a single timethe defense pinched under any pressure.

The one time I recall the defense staying in the play, mcd slides he puck down to Richards and they score.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

So maybe they are just following orders...

Old
10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Not enough skill on the back end.

Without Staal, everyone is trying to pick up their defensive game as well.

MDZ has been pinching/creating, outside of him, maybe McDonagh a little.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:04 PM
outlaw52
"what i do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
They're getting zero help from the defense in generating any offensive pressure. The gap between forwards and defense is huge, and the d is backing out way to early. I can't hardly think if a single timethe defense pinched under any pressure.

The one time I recall the defense staying in the play, mcd slides he puck down to Richards and they score.
exactly right:with hank between the pipes the d should stay up longer and help create opportunities. they are backing out too early.worrying too much about d is hurting us offensivley.hank has been unreal so far looks great.

outlaw52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Simple: leave Sweden, practice together as the full 22- or 23-person team for the first extended period of time all year, and then start playing games on ice that doesn't resemble a gravel pit.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:23 PM
bernmeister

We don't finish; we work, usually, but we don't finish.
That requires guys who can finish + chemistry with everyone else.

I say move Dubi back to LW with AA + Cally.
Take a risk and trade from our depth at D, even if that depth is not fully developed; we can't rush our Fs.

In the meantime, give Boyle a shot w/Richards + Gaborik and put Hagelin in Boyle's slot.

Also, I know the guy's playing in Russia, but just out of curiosity, I'd like to see Pashnin start playing for us with reckless abandon, just to see how long he can maintain that effort. Might jump start something somewhere.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:35 PM
NickyFotiu

As other pointed out have more offensive help from the Dman. Also we have too many grinders playing large minutes. There is a lack of creativity on this team. Feds is really a 3rd line player on the 2nd line. Prust is a good player but he is more of a 4th line player who also is a great PK player.

Move Zooks up to the 3rd line with Boyle and Step
Move Prust down to the 4th line.

Make 2 legit Power play units that play around 1 minute each when possible so both are fresh instead of 1 unit dragging for part of the PP and allowing some odd man rushes.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Get better players

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Without Brad Richards, we'd have been really lost offensively right now. He has two points in two games. At the very least, we'd have already have had to deal with a shutout against us this early in the season, and it's possible that without his assist in game 1, the team would have had only a single goal in two games.

Hopefully that will be a good sign: even when the team struggles offensively, Brad can fill in and make things not so terrible.

Honestly, if we don't get an average of a goal a game from the first line (Brad, Gabby and whoever will wind up as a LW there), we are going to be in trouble.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

It's a lack of trust / confidence in eachother in all three zones which results in everyone following the puck and bunching up. Puck goes around the boards in either zone and at least three rangers go to it because they don't trust that the first guy will come up with it. It's a lack of chemistry and a lack of reading when it's clear that the first ranger to the puck will be able to get it and make a play. This is the problem and was the problem most of last year. It will get better as the players learn each others tendencies but I also think we were simply not up to speed in terms of timing and skating speed. Maybe it's because we have been playing joke teams for the past 8 days on international rinks where plays develop and go the other way much slower than in the NHL. I also think guys like Wolski and Christensen do not fit at all as they have absolutely zero forechecking pressure ability. Avery would do a much better job creating forecheck pressure and helping sustain an offensive zone attack.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

As far as lines go, callahan might be best served playing the LW with Richards and Gaborik. He makes things happen every shift and could spark Gaborik and Richards into developing some real chemistry. If not, dubi should stay there for the time being. Two games doesn't mean it won't work.

Callahan Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello
Avery Stepan Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust

OR

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Zuccarello Anisimov Callahan
Fedotenko Stepan Boyle
Avery Rupp Prust

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Without Brad Richards, we'd have been really lost offensively right now. He has two points in two games. At the very least, we'd have already have had to deal with a shutout against us this early in the season, and it's possible that without his assist in game 1, the team would have had only a single goal in two games.

Hopefully that will be a good sign: even when the team struggles offensively, Brad can fill in and make things not so terrible.

Honestly, if we don't get an average of a goal a game from the first line (Brad, Gabby and whoever will wind up as a LW there), we are going to be in trouble.
I am confident in our 2nd line Dubi -AA - Cally; however not enough scoring otherwise. Don't think the entire rest of the team is a problem, but we need another solid LW threat to go w/ Richards + Gabby.

Again, no moving Staal, or Erixon, a possible Staal in the making.
Guys, can we please look at moving some D + to get that LW?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:49 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Again, no moving Staal, or Erixon, a possible Staal in the making.
Guys, can we please look at moving some D + to get that LW?
Only if its Girardi

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I think the defense has been very smart/timely with their pinches. Any more aggressive pinching would result in Hank being left out to dry even more (if that's poss).

The problem is with the lack of puck & player movement still and not just on the PP.

No one is opening lanes, and once someone gets the puck they just stand there and wait for something to happen.

Until this team starts creating movement, they can't create scoring.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Ola

Torts, and some of the players, caught with their pants down, yet again. We seem to be in mid season form...

The PASSING game is a joke. Torts has made all kind of excuses all pre-season, but LA, Buf, Ana has the same excuses and we are the only ones looking like a joke.

We had 3 shots in the third, going up against a team that backed down to defend a lead.

We have a motivator and a game coach, but this team, just like last years team for long stretches, just ain't coached/drilled well enough.

Our passing game is horrible.

Torts can't keep getting out coached like this.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Torts can't keep getting out coached like this.
How was he out coached? Do you mean during the game?

Old
10-08-2011, 11:41 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post

This is where we miss Staal. He's not great offensively, but he does recognize the appropriate time to pinch and is also capable of going end-to-end with the puck at times.

I also think Staal's absence is forcing some defensemen to be more cautious than they normally are. Every defender is being thrust into a more important role, so they aren't taking as many risks offensively.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Move the puck to the points and utilize them.

Oh yeah... and shoot the puck ON NET.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

heart...show some. Ryan Callahan shouldnt be the only Ranger forwrd busting his ass shfit in and shift out. some very lazy play out there these last past few games.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:44 AM
eco's bones

The forecheck is not there. The Rangers at least since Torts has got here have generated shots/opportunities off the forecheck. 15 shots yesterday against a mediocre defense. Hiller's a good goalie--you're not going to win many games against a goalie like him with only 15 shots on goal.

Anaheim did do a good job of plugging up the middle and blocking shots when we were on the pwp. Even so--some of our guys were floating yesterday.

Bringing up one other thing--our schedule against European teams on larger ice surfaces is nice but even having lost one of them against the Swiss team it's not the same thing as playing a preseason NHL team on an NHL rink. Most years that preseason schedule includes games against the Devils, Flyers, Islanders--lots of hitting, lots of fights. Those kinds of games are pretty much missing from this year's preseason.

Not getting in on the other team aggressively. Not winning enough battles along the walls and in the corners. For one reason or another we were screwing around with our d-men the entire preseason. All these things might be paying us back now.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Come back home.

That's the answer.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Come back home.

That's the answer.
this. Surprisingly the Defense held up well enough without Staal.
No indepth analysis is needed, other than to get back to the states, settle in and practice. Rangers started poorly against the Kings but played well enough to win, if not for the rookie mistakes of MDZ.

Yesterday they just looked burned out. Ok the Ducks weren't but they played awful the day before and got slaughtered. Everytime is different.

But i see, this is a great opportunity for some to push agendas...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote