HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can't wait for 'normal life'

Old
10-09-2011, 08:12 AM
bmw2004

vCash: 500
"I don't know whether we want to talk about it or shouldn't talk about it, but this was not ideal," Richards, whose rooftop score with 2:45 to go in regulation erased a 1-0 deficit, told The Post. "We've had what, two practices?
"We're not in a panic mode but we need to have a great week of practice and get to work on our game and our structure. I know myself, there are still some things I'm trying to figure out about our neutral zone and our power play so that we're clicking on the same page.

"We'll finally get some time to get to work."

I actually feel that he is panicking when he juggling his lines every shift.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...uTeebHElg2nNtI

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
richardsequalscup*

That's Richards classy way of saying, "Thanks for the big contract, it's nice that you let Lundqvist go back home to play for his fans but this was a stupid idea if you are trying to win as many games during the regular season from game 1."

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The Rangers panicked with front office moves while over there. They lost Weise cut Avery (would have been done either way) flew Erixon back to NY only to fly him back over. They were in traffic every where they went they lost out on a lot of alone and team time. the trip stresses out coaches and messes with players bodys and body clocks. I know when my guys would travel over to Japan for a week of wrestling or 2 that it took 2 weeks to reset there body clocks and get back to NY style of life. The players hated this other then Hank and Zuc.. The guys I spoke to called it stressful. Not how a team wants to start the season, And can you picture how much Torts must have been stressed with his controlling way of life? Stay in NY boys..

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Wow.

I was waiting for something like this.

The players couldn't even stand the schedule. Us fans couldn't. I thought it was ********, not because it's a pain in the ass for us, but our team has to be in Europe for like two weeks. Not to make excuses, but this Euro trip had to drain them. Bouncing around to different countries and playing non-NHL teams isn't ideal.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

I've never been a fan of starting the season overseas. I understand it from a "grow the game and fanbase" point of view, but it's hell on the teams.

Overseas, jetlagged, traveling daily in strange cities, media circus over there. No real practices, away from your home arena and facilities.

I'm not absolving the players from blame in the efforts put forth in the first 2 games, but I would have been curious to see how..if at all..things would have been different had they been on home ice.

I know the renovations at MSG played a part in this as well.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:49 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Always hated the stupid European trips.

We do it again next year...yay!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:00 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The Rangers panicked with front office moves while over there. They lost Weise cut Avery (would have been done either way) flew Erixon back to NY only to fly him back over. They were in traffic every where they went they lost out on a lot of alone and team time. the trip stresses out coaches and messes with players bodys and body clocks. I know when my guys would travel over to Japan for a week of wrestling or 2 that it took 2 weeks to reset there body clocks and get back to NY style of life. The players hated this other then Hank and Zuc.. The guys I spoke to called it stressful. Not how a team wants to start the season, And can you picture how much Torts must have been stressed with his controlling way of life? Stay in NY boys..
I believe they had to send Erixon back when he was sent down, it was an NHL rule. Larry Brooks tweeted something about how it was stupid the teams in Europe had no leeway with that.

One thing I don't believe is that they are a better team with Christensen and Wolski on the team and Avery and Bourque in Hartford.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
6 pre-season games vs. NJ, Philly and the Islanders... Thank you very much... that's all they need... if NYR management wants to spend $, throw in a Florida trip vs. the Panthers and Tampa Bay... none of this Euro BS... (and I'm saying this as a Euro)

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:32 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
6 pre-season games vs. NJ, Philly and the Islanders... Thank you very much... that's all they need... if NYR management wants to spend $, throw in a Florida trip vs. the Panthers and Tampa Bay... none of this Euro BS... (and I'm saying this as a Euro)
I agree--those are the kinds of preseason games that get the team ready. The new guys get to see what it's really like--lots of hitting and a lot of fights in a more contained space.

I can understand how it's a big deal to guys like Henrik (our most important player0 to get to a chance to play in front of friends and family--the Rangers flew into and out of Slovakia on the same day so I don't think it meant nearly as much to Gaborik. In any case the larger ice surfaces and less physical nature of the European game is not the best way to prepare for an NHL regular season.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:33 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm glad we played Frolunda and in Slovakia.

Other then that, this was really stupid.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:46 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Wow.

I was waiting for something like this.

The players couldn't even stand the schedule. Us fans couldn't. I thought it was ********, not because it's a pain in the ass for us, but our team has to be in Europe for like two weeks. Not to make excuses, but this Euro trip had to drain them. Bouncing around to different countries and playing non-NHL teams isn't ideal.
This is how I feel.

The bright side is that we didn't waste 2 home games over there. The Kings played 2 "home" games there.

At least we stole 2 pts where we honestly didn't deserve any.

Now the real games begin.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Matteau Matteau

I'm so freakin' sick of the Europe thing. I'm glad Richards said it. I don't know how much say the Rangers have in it, but if they can chose so, I hope they refuse this crap next year (should the NHL suggest it). Not having our first home game until the end of the first month of the season? Come on!

Going to Europe and then a West coast trip thing is pure crap. And people can try to dismiss it as whining, but I think it's a true competitive disadvantageous way to start the season--as in, truly unfair. I cannot believe the NHL approved it. It's got to be exhausting, and now we know they couldn't really practice. And on the last game's broadcast they said the ice surface was very crappy.

The result was slow, sloppy play with no flow. The best anyone could do was chip the puck here and there.

In before I'm told I'm crying.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Wonder if the Buffalo players feel the same way ?

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

In the grand scheme ofthings they should be able to recover over the next 80 games. It's not ideal, especially for someone like BR who brings a professionalism with him but also an unfamiliarity with the system. It is what it is... The Sabres, Kings, and Ducks did it too.

Move on and straighten out the PP (since this is the 5th yr of saying that... My hopes aren't high).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:55 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Double post

Old
10-09-2011, 09:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Wonder if the Buffalo players feel the same way ?
I wonder if the Buffalo players had to spend weeks in a different hemisphere, played 4 games in 5 days in 4 different countries. And don't get to go home until the end of October.

If so, I'm sure they'd complain.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I wonder if the Buffalo players had to spend weeks in a different hemisphere, played 4 games in 5 days in 4 different countries. And don't get to go home until the end of October.

+1

The Kings, Sabres, and Ducks all came over here for one little exhibition game and then played in Sweden. Big whoop, especially when you see the Ducks played in Finland, soooooo far away from Sweden... We were there for 12 days, including 4 games in 5 days in 4 different countries like SM said above. We only had 2 measly days of practice before playing back-to-back games in Sweden on crappy ice. Like Richards said, they had no time to acclimate to each other and work together. The trip was more traveling than playing hockey. This week off will be good for them, let them practice together for more than 2 days and get a feel for each other as a team. Let them work on the PP, let the lines get used to each other on an NHL sized rink for christ sake. This whole Euro trip was retarded, besides Frolunda and HC Slovak (Hank and Gabby). Other than that, there was absolutely no reason to play games over there.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I thought this was a great opportunity for "TEAM BONDING" ? Drop two and it turns into a great big inconvienience... We can throw excuses around all day, bottom line, to many penalties, crap PP, lack of offensive pressure and scoring chances. In the end I'm just happy with the 2 pts..Even though 0-2 looks pretty sh*tty

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Good its over.... 2 pts .500

Come home and get it together...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

The first thing Torts said in the presser was "Just wanna leave. Had enough."

Thank god this trip is over. Time to get the practice in that we haven't been able to get in the last couple of weeks. It was pretty clear our guys were shaky on the offensive gameplan, and I would have to guess that the lack of meaningful practice time was a major factor in that. Let's see how the team and the PP look after they get a chance to sketch out a plan of attack.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
ogie

Fans hated it, players hated it, we all hated it, worst part is ... same thing is going to happen next year. With the renovations to MSG i will bet dollars against donuts that we open the season in Europe next year as well.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:43 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Fans hated it, players hated it, we all hated it, worst part is ... same thing is going to happen next year. With the renovations to MSG i will bet dollars against donuts that we open the season in Europe next year as well.
I think it's confirmed they're starting the next 2 seasons in Europe because of the renovations.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Yup, they will definitely be in Europe the next two years. Worst part is that Pierre was talking about how the NHL is probably going to start having games in Europe in the middle of the season as well.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:48 AM
OverTheCap

The Rangers chose to go to Europe far earlier than any other NHL team.

Next season when they go to Europe, forget the grand European tour in the preseason jampacked with exhibition games. They can play most of their exhibition games on the road in the States while MSG is being renovated, and then fly to Europe a few days before just like the other NHL Premiere teams.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
broadwayblue

Obviously opening in Europe is not ideal...but other teams also had to deal with the same issues. Bottom line is we came away with 2 of 4 points which is perfectly fine. Now they can get back to the task at hand. No reason to complain about it from here on out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote