HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella

Old
10-09-2011, 01:24 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
I am sick of Torts. I am no hockey pro, but I really dont think he knows what he's doing. There seems to be no system. Torts system is go go go, and work hard, and when that doesnt work he'll switch some lines around and repeat. Theres no plan out there.. no plan on the PP. The pk is the only thing working for us, and guess what, it was Renney that got are PK working well. It has luckily carried over for us till now.

If you need to know how effective a good coach can be you need look no furether than the Devils last year. End rant
lol...shhhhhhhhhhhh

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:25 AM
XLJ

Its a big year for him. Their are actually expectations for this team to be good. If the Rangers have another first round exit. I don't think Torts getting fired is unreasonable.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:42 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
Are we really going to this two games into the season.....?
two games into the season where we have 2 out of 4 possible points.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Giacomin

I personally like Tortorella but I have friends that hate him. This Year will be his year to put his stamp on this team.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:54 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
We can revisit this about 41 games into the season.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:55 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
He should be fired, and we should hire Renney back.

Then, when fans get sick of Renney, we should fire him and hire Torts back again.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
do you guys think Torts is doing a good job? For this season, pre-season, camp, and for the two previous years. Is he trying to mold a team into his little ball and try to make it into the Bolts during their championship year?? And if we were to get rid of him, would Mike Sullivan be our coach??
thought, comments questions please
Your freaking kidding me right?

Two lousy games into a season.....

On second thought....your right. Fire the bum and bring back Trottier. I never use emoticons. Hate 'em. But in your case I'll make an exception.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Its a big year for him. Their are actually expectations for this team to be good. If the Rangers have another first round exit. I don't think Torts getting fired is unreasonable.

.....but that's at least 84 games from now. Including playoffs.

Why wait. Let's get 'er done now. I want Trottier back!!! Who's with me.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:18 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
He should be fired, and we should hire Renney back.

Then, when fans get sick of Renney, we should fire him and hire Torts back again.
Or maybe they both couldn't cut it. This team has been mediocre at best the past three seasons.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Ani simov mal

What exactly has he done to be liked other than "finding an identity". Not making the playoffs and a first round exit?

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:40 AM
IAMREALITY

Within the next few years Torts will bring us the cup. Course, that still probably wouldn't shut the silly naysayers up.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:58 AM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
Within the next few years Torts will bring us the cup. Course, that still probably wouldn't shut the silly naysayers up.
Seriously, what has he done that should have shut me up? On the other hand, if you're a fortune teller and you can guarantee me a cup within the next few years, I'll gladly shut up.

Curb your homerism. This team has been mediocre for awhile. I have a lot of hopes for this team (on paper) too but if we don't do anything with it Torts is gone.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:09 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
See, I agree with you. There is not a coach more cut from the cloth of Mike Keenan than Torts. We may not be there right now, but if we have the roster in the next few years, Torts is the "finishing" type coach. He'll get us the Cup if we deserve it.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:40 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Torts has the persona to extinguish the extra stuff New York has to offer outside of the rink ( Del Zotto knows what I'm talking about) while getting the most out of these guys. Getting the most out of each and every player is something NY isn't familiar with and until that happens (which it is and will under Torts) this team isn't going to win a cup. How soon we forget the names that came, played beyond mediocre for their contracts, and dissapeared. For once there is LEGIT accountability in Manhattan and that's the only way to reach your goal in market like NYC.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
The thing is, the team was getting younger regardless of who the coach was. Renney had Dubi on the first line when he was a rookie. It's not like Renney didn't have to deal with youth in the lineup. The first season after the lockout we were projected to be one of the worst teams in the league mainly because of all the kids we had playing.

You talk about us not losing a game going into the third period. The problem with that is, the team blew a huge lead in the playoffs last season. We also blew that huge series lead against Washington in Tort's first year.

Lastly, you say we've gone from being a fringe playoff team to becoming a serious playoff team. That's really only due to the acquisition of Richards. We were a fringe playoff team last year and we flat out missed the playoffs the year before. Under Renney we actually won two playoff series. The same can not be said about the new guy.
true on all accounts.

let me just clarify what i meant in my original post, which i should have had in there in the first place. the changes and tweaking that were slight, were not about the kids playing, that was the track this organization was staying on no matter who coached, i meant the other players, jagr&co. to drury&gomez to now torts guys (from tampa cup team mainly).

the team did not play their game in the playoffs. They did not look good, but i think that was not because of torts, but the leadership in the locker room and on the ice (mainly on the ice). Everyone was following callly's lead, he had quietly become the captain during last season and altho drury came back, he was not the captain that the team looked to for leadership becaue of how much he was out and disconnected from the team because of his absence. I think torts took dru aside when cally got hurt and said we need leadership now and so i dont think dru was even close to 100% and being ready to play, but he did it, unfortunately the team lost steam when cally went out, which i think caused a domino effect in the team.

now the part about being a serious playoff team...on paper yes, which i think is basically what you were getting at. Well last season we were so close to being a serious nhl team, a couple bounces our way a few calls our way and we may have been that team last season. But that season is over. I am not just pointing out richards joining the team that makes us a serious playoff team, i am pointing out all the players. We still had a young group of guys last season, 4 rookies i think...they should all be coming in here looking stronger and better and prepared this season. Lundqvist's one weakness i always felt was his catching glove, he wasn't horrible with it, but i felt it needed some work, i would say he worked on it and looks amazing 2 games into the season. healthy cally, mza worked on his skating and he looks better without the puck and i think will be able to breakout soon, so on and so forth. I think even if we did not get richards we would be a serious playoff team this year. comparing torts to renney is difficult in my opinion becaue torts young guys are becoming seasoned, renney mainly had proven vets with some young guys and as time went on more young guys came in, but i think torts has had more young guys on his teams than renney did while he was here, so lots of learning with speed bumps.

i pointed out some of those stats in my original post just to make a point of how close we were to being a really good team.

okay now that i wrote another novel, i will end it there lol

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Chimp

I don't like what Torts did during the pre-season. The actual team got zero time together in actual game situations and had basically no time to develop line chemistry. Then to top it off, Torts breaks up the lines after what, one game together, because they hadn't developed chemistry and looked horrible? I seriously wonder what the hell he's doing sometimes. Not that he hasn't done that before, the "Random Renney" puns are just as relevant with Torts.

Forward 41 games and he'll still juggle the lines and no one has a clue who they're going to play with. Torts has also been here for a while now. The team still has no answer whatsoever when they face an organized defense. The skill should be there, how about some strategy? Torts speaks about patience, but he has none and then faults his players for it.

I believe Torts is a good coach, but he has obvious flaws. The only thing he has shown patience with, is forcing our D-men to play an offensive game they're brutal at, giving up numerous oddman rushes every game, while contributing a minimum offensively. However, he doesn't seem to be a good in game coach. It feels like the blueshirts are outcoached alot more than the other way around. Sometimes you have to adapt to what the other team is doing. Torts isn't that good in that department.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-09-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

If we lost 1 game, and won 1 game, we would have the same amount of points.

This thread is utterly ridiculous.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't blame Torts, I don't blame the players.

I blame the stupid European trip and awful schedule.

And we have to do it again next year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Matteau Matteau

I just don't get why a lot of people think this guy is so good. The one cup? Lots of coaches have won one cup.

He has two possible answers to every problem--bench someone, or tear up the lines, either before or during the game. Brilliant!

One cup makes you a genius, I guess.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

I dont like the way he treats MZA, trying to make him into a meat and bone player instead of developing his skills by playing with the best ( Richards and Gabby). If this continues I hope they trade him to a team that appreciate skills.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Maybe MZA just isn't as good as advertised?

He played great on larger rinks, and then went back to being a non-factor on the smaller rinks, against NHL teams.

That's Tortorella's fault?

Old
10-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Maybe MZA just isn't as good as advertised?

He played great on larger rinks, and then went back to being a non-factor on the smaller rinks, against NHL teams.

That's Tortorella's fault?
MZa is a fantastic player, everyone with neutral glasses can see that easily, but if he doesnt get minutes he`ll lose confidence and momentum, thats normal. Play him fully now or trade him, that bench BS is a waste of time.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I just don't get why a lot of people think this guy is so good. The one cup? Lots of coaches have won one cup.

He has two possible answers to every problem--bench someone, or tear up the lines, either before or during the game. Brilliant!

One cup makes you a genius, I guess.
yeah, they should be making Torts NHL '13

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Cat View Post
MZa is a fantastic player, everyone with neutral glasses can see that easily, but if he doesnt get minutes he`ll lose confidence and momentum, thats normal. Play him fully now or trade him, that bench BS is a waste of time.
Fantastic player? No.

Skilled? Yes.

Those two things are not the same.

Tell me why Callahan is more successful then Zuccarello, despite having an ounce of the skill Zuccarello does? Because skill is not all it takes to be a good hockey player.

Neutral glasses? He's a fringe NHL player.

He shouldn't have been taken off Stepan's wing, however.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Brasero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I like what he's building here. Obviously these past two games haven't been a good example, but we have an identity and consistent playing style after years of lacking both.

I'm new here, so Hi

I just think it's imperative to any club to have continuity. Things always tend to take time, so people just have to keep their emotions in check and hope things turns for the better. It's always a plan!

Brasero is offline   Reply With Quote