HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betts returned to Philly — fails physical with Habs

Old
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Betts returned to Philly — fails physical with Habs

Don't know if you guys have seen this:

Quote:
I have it on good authority that the #Habs have sent Blair Betts back to Philly because he did not pass his physical.
http://twitter.com/amandacstein/stat...53610358677506

------------------------------------------------------------------
Mod edit:

Quote:
Now, it appears that things aren’t going to work out in Philadelphia, either.

Betts said he is no longer “a part of the lineup.”

The Flyers are stuck. Since he is injured, Betts cannot be assigned to the AHL. He cannot be put back on waivers. As it stands, his $700,000 salary is counting against the salary cap, too.

That forced the Flyers to prematurely put Ian Laperriere on the long-term injured list on Sunday just to get under the daily number. The Flyers were banking long-term injury list cushion with Laperriere just on the regular injured reserve.

Instead, the Flyers don’t know exactly what to do with Betts. He has battled a number of injuries over his career, missing 27 games over the last two seasons with the Flyers alone.

“He’s going to get checked out here,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said. “We’ll see what the issues are, if there are any. And we’ll deal with them when, if we find out. I don’t know anything more. We knew he had a bone bruise from a game when he got hit with a puck. He had some blood taken [out] of his knee before.

“But our doctors cleared him and we placed him on waivers.”

Holmgren said that Betts is “a tough player” who has “played through a lot of issues.”

Betts said he was not surprised Montreal’s doctors found something. He has been dealing with a wonky left knee for a long time. Holmgren said Betts’ MRI in Toronto revealed something, but wouldn’t say what. Betts, 31, had practiced throughout training camp without missing time.

“I think it was just something that I’ve been dealing with for a long time,” Betts said. “It’s something that I’ve had to manage. But I think I’ve been doing as good a job managing it as I can.

“It’s something that causes me grief every day. They felt it was too much of a liability.”

Betts said it will be hard to handle with the fact that he is not a part of the Flyers’ team anymore, despite the fact that he is under contract and needs rehab. He is not sure whether he can have surgery to repair the knee. Even if he does go under the knife, there is no guarantee his problem will have resolve.

“We’re going to discuss that over the next couple of days and decide what’s best for my career at this point,” Betts said. “We’ll have to see what our doctors in Philadelphia think and go from there.”
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...#ixzz1aRbxr3xS

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-10-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We're back in contract hell!

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Ah *****. Need to make a deal now to free up a contract

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Can we just waive shelley while on suspension?

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

so we waive him again?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
This is interesting since he was practicing and playing for us.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:29 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
so we waive him again?
You can't waive injured players. You're going to get fined for this and you'll have to put him on IR.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bummer. What now?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
This is interesting since he was practicing and playing for us.
Well...

1) He was injured, we didn't know about it, and the Habs found out about it when he was claimed by them off waivers/subsequently given a physical.

2) He was injured, we knew about it despite him playing/practicing, and we tried to pull a fast one on the Habs.

3) He wasn't really injured with us, he got hurt with the Habs, and now they're trying to cut their losses by screwing us over.

1 and 3 seem like the most obvious possible scenarios here.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Bummer. What now?
Matt Walker to anybody who will take him for a 7th?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Well...

1) He was injured, we didn't know about it, and the Habs found out about it when he was claimed by them off waivers/subsequently given a physical.

2) He was injured, we knew about it despite him playing/practicing, and we tried to pull a fast one on the Habs.

3) He wasn't really injured with us, he got hurt with the Habs, and now they're trying to cut their losses by screwing us over.

Does 1 and 3 seem most obvious because it favors your team?

Betts didn't even practice with the habs. So he couldn't have been injured with us.

So I guess 1 and 2 are the most obvious. Given Flyers cap situation and Holmgren desperate for space. My guess is number 2 and that he was hoping no one would claim him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Well...

He never practiced with us since we picked him up...

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Betts didn't even practice with the habs. So he couldn't have been injured with us.

So I guess 1 and 2 are the most obvious. Given Flyers cap situation and Holmgren desperate for space. My guess is number 2 and that he was hoping no one would claim him.
Chris's point, I think, was that the Flyers wouldn't have had him practicing with the team before waiving him if they knew he was hurt.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Well...

He never practiced/played with us. Once he arrived, he immediately passed physicals.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Chris's point, I think, was that the Flyers wouldn't have had him practicing with the team before waiving him if they knew he was hurt.
Then when did he get hurt? On the plane ride over?

This smells fishy. It's entirely possible he got hurt at practice.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Then when did he get hurt? On the plane ride over?

This smells fishy.
Or he was hurt, and the Flyers didn't know it.

Or the Flyers' doctors definition of "hurt" is different from Montreal's?

Old
10-09-2011, 10:39 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Maybe he didn't tell anyone he was injured and got caught during the physical?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:40 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

No, 1 and 3 seem the most obvious because Betts was playing and practicing with our team.

And this has nothing to do with the Flyers' cap situation. It has everything to do with the Flyers' contract situation and keeping Couturier on the roster. I know you didn't notice, but the Flyers went through a very hefty waiving frenzy right before the start of the season. Betts was included in that. We all thought that he was a casualty to Talbot, which he primarily was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
He never practiced/played with us. Once he arrived, he immediately passed physicals.
I wasn't aware that he hadn't practiced or played yet. Given the length of time we're talking about, I assumed he'd done something hockey related in his time with Montreal. Betts got picked up days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Maybe he didn't tell anyone he was injured and got caught during the physical?
I think we have a winner honestly.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Flyersfan1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
You can't waive injured players. You're going to get fined for this and you'll have to put him on IR.
I'm glad you are in the league office knowing we'll be fined and in the flyers front office knowing he's going on IR. Wow.

And back to the original thread....No **** Betts didn't pass his physical. His shoulders are shot. He probably hasn't been able to pass a physical in a few years.

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Well...

I'm not positive about that. He was waived with the intention someone claiming him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andy

Quote:
No, 1 and 3 seem the most obvious because Betts was playing and practicing with our team.

And this has nothing to do with the Flyers' cap situation. It has everything to do with the Flyers' contract situation and keeping Couturier on the roster. I know you didn't notice, but the Flyers went through a very hefty waiving frenzy right before the start of the season. Betts was included in that. We all thought that he was a casualty to Talbot, which he primarily was.
How is three obvious when he didn't practice with the Canadiens? you make no sense Chris and I've been on these boards long enough to know that you are a smart poster and a very biased one.

Also weren't you guys discussing last week after a pre-season game that Betts might have gotten hurt, I remember reading that around here. It's very convienient of you to let that pass(if I remember correctly).

Old
10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
How is three obvious when he didn't practice with the Canadiens? you make no sense Chris and I've been on these boards long enough to know that you are a smart poster and a very biased one.

Also weren't you guys discussing last week after a pre-season game that Betts might have gotten hurt, I remember reading that around here. It's very convienient of you to let that pass(if I remember correctly).
As someone mentioned, his shoulder(s) has been shot for years--but he was still playing / practicing with the team. As far as the Flyers were concerned, it is reasonable to assume, he was healthy enough to play and practice.

In order to believe that the Flyer's intentionally tried to slip an injured Betts through waivers, you would have to believe that they had him practicing and playing with the team, while hurt, just to prove he was "healthy." Frankly, no one in our organization is that clever.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I WAS NOT AWARE HE HADN'T PRACTICED/PLAYED WITH THE CANADIENS. So please stop accusing me of things.

This happened days ago so I assumed he'd done something with the team by now, which would imply that the Canadiens might have been trying something.

It's also weird that the physicals stage has taken this long.

Quote:
I'm not aware of any injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
As someone mentioned, his shoulder(s) has been shot for years--but he was still playing / practicing with the team. As far as the Flyers were concerned, it is reasonable to assume, he was healthy enough to play and practice.

In order to believe that the Flyer's intentionally tried to slip an injured Betts through waivers, you would have to believe that they had him practicing and playing with the team, while hurt, just to prove he was "healthy." Frankly, no one in our organization is that clever.
What's in it for Betts to play/practice through injury anyway? He gets claimed by another team? Why? He's played well in Philadelphia. I don't see any reason for him to want out.

In theory, his motivation for covering up any possible injury would be to compete to stay in the NHL/beat out Talbot.

That theory alone disqualifies him as someone who would tell the Flyers if he's injured.

Old
10-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

What's in it for Betts to play/practice through injury anyway? He gets claimed by another team? Why? He's played well in Philadelphia.
I meant "injury" in the sense that anyone who has played professional hockey for a decade probably has enough scar tissue built up somewhere to trigger a problem, not "injury" in the sense that it keeps him from playing.