HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Betts sent back to Philly - Failed Physical

Old
10-09-2011, 11:51 AM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
They obviously thought Engqvist would have won the job this year, but he sucked in TC so they went and Got Betts. Thats what happened. 4th line centers aren't hard to find, thats why they did the same thing last year signing halpern late in the offseason aswell. If PG needs a 4th line center he will get one. Calm the **** down some of you.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gauthier'management is very short-sighted. He is just fixing the pot holes, giving away young players and good second-round picks.
How is filling a need that you yourself had admitted needed to be filled is short-sighted?

How the hell do you bring in young players and picks? He was acquired for free and has no bearing on the betts discussion. You are grasping at straws.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
A need that existed months ago.
You have no idea whether or not they intended to give that position to Engqvist and that it was only after he failed to perform in pre-season that they went to go and acquire a 4th line center.

Again you are grasping at straws to justify your trolling.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
They obviously thought Engqvist would have won the job this year, but he sucked in TC so they went and Got Betts. Thats what happened. 4th line centers aren't hard to find, thats why they did the same thing last year signing halpern late in the offseason aswell. If PG needs a 4th line center he will get one. Calm the **** down some of you.
In Martin's "system", 4th line centers are very important. You can't just put a plug like Engqvist in the line up.

It just makes me sick to think that we had Halpern and Lapierre last year to do that job. Of course, Lapierre was mishandled and asked to play on wing...And we know the end result.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Andy

Quote:
In Martin's "system", 4th line centers are very important. You can't just put a plug like Engqvist in the line up.

It just makes me sick to think that we had Halpern and Lapierre last year to do that job. Of course, Lapierre was mishandled and asked to play on wing...And we know the end result.
I don't see what any of that has to do with the current situation right now.

Engqvist was tried out and it didn't work out, what's so hard to understand. You guys are the same people who complain that signing vets to fill spots doesn't allow young players to prove themselves, then when they don't sign a vet to allow young players to prove themselves, it's a stupid move?

I don't see the overreaction. We had a hole, Gauthier filled it with a more than adequate player, in fact he filled with the exact type of player he needed. That player did not pass a physical...this is not in Gauthier's control. It's really not hard to understand...it's either you're not very smart or you're acting like an idiot on purpose just to bash management which is what you last 20 posts on this board have been about.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

In Martin's system 4th line centers are practically irrelevant. He matches power versus power so the 4th line only gets powderpuff assignments. Halpern was important when he was playing third line or spot duty with Plekanec or on the penalty kill. Desharnais was the 4th line center (before that it was Eller) and his assignments were pretty much inconsequential.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Viggo Mortensen

I think its all part of a master plan by PG:

Philly puts Betts on waivers, if not claimed, he goes to AHL and no1 knows he's injured, and no1 complain....

BUT....PG knowing that its probably a tactic by Holmgrem to fit under cap, claims him, and report that he doesnt pass the tests!

Could be plausible I think!

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
I think its all part of a master plan by PG:

Philly puts Betts on waivers, if not claimed, he goes to AHL and no1 knows he's injured, and no1 complain....

BUT....PG knowing that its probably a tactic by Holmgrem to fit under cap, claims him, and report that he doesnt pass the tests!

Could be plausible I think!
WOW" I like your thinking... NOT !

Old
10-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Andy

Quote:
It's just as dumb as the conpiracies you tried to hint at earlier. The only thing is that I don't think he was being serious about his, while you were about yours.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
In Martin's system 4th line centers are practically irrelevant. He matches power versus power so the 4th line only gets powderpuff assignments. Halpern was important when he was playing third line or spot duty with Plekanec or on the penalty kill. Desharnais was the 4th line center (before that it was Eller) and his assignments were pretty much inconsequential.
He loves to roll 4 lines, and he would surely prefer to have Betts and Moen (Or like before, Pyatt and Moen) killing penalties than Pleks who is exhausted when playoffs arrive.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I guess if you don't like PG, you're a troll - whatever that means.

I'm terribly offended. Lol
I don't like Martin, but I don't spend my days here bashing him with irrelevant and illogical arguments.

You're a troll because you take something so insignificant that has such little meaning and that has nothing to do with the competency of GM to try and spin to say that he's an idiot. It's old and stupid and contributes nothing to do this board other than the fact that it given you such a bad name that even when you try to post something seriously like you did the other day with hototogisu people don;t take you seriously. It's sad that it's come to the point where no one takes you seriously because all you do is whine and bash largely for no reason other than because you don't like the guy.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
He loves to roll 4 lines, and he would surely prefer to have Betts and Moen (Or like before, Pyatt and Moen) killing penalties than Pleks who is exhausted when playoffs arrive.
If you are sure that Martin would like Betts, doesn't that mean getting him was a good move? How does this move, one which you agree with turn out to be a bad one?

Do you not see your contradictions?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:07 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he is joking - poking fun at conspiracy theorists and whiny fans that have so much fun with minor problems such as this one.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's just as dumb as the conpiracies you tried to hint at earlier. The only thing is that I don't think he was being serious about his, while you were about yours.
Ding Ding, we have a winner here!

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Plante

Quote:
I don't like Martin, but I don't spend my days here bashing him with irrelevant and illogical arguments.

You're a troll because you take something so insignificant that has such little meaning and that has nothing to do with the competency of GM to try and spin to say that he's an idiot. It's old and stupid and contributes nothing to do this board other than the fact that it given you such a bad name that even when you try to post something seriously like you did the other day with hototogisu people don;t take you seriously. It's sad that it's come to the point where no one takes you seriously because all you do is whine and bash largely for no reason other than because you don't like the guy.

Very admirable post.

Plante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Why don't we wait for REAL, CREDIBLE informations about it ?
I don't usually agree with you, but this is the voice of wisdom here.

Also: if it *is* true, this is Holmgren's cack-up, not Gauthier's. Gauthier can't go and give physicals to player on other teams, even in the 24 hour waiver period. So a waiver transfer will always be conditional for exactly this reason. Wouldn't surprise me, actually, that Philly risks a penalty if this turns out to be true.

I'm pretty sure he may also elect to keep the injured player. Of course, depends on the severity.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:14 PM
guest1467

Quote:
It's 50-50. You could be as right or as wrong as me... But it smells fishy as hell.
It is not 50-50, and if you can't see the difference, I feel sorry for you.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Now I have a reason to hate these Philadelphia Cheesepuffs again!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
gusfring

Andy says no one takes me seriously on this fan board.

Again, I'm crushed.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Not wanting to take sides but player acquisitions and trades are the GM's responsibility. Who is nittany supposed to blame? PG waited until the last minute to get a center for our fourth line, things went wrong and now we have little to fall back on and are somewhat desperate. That's way short of the wise and awesome management we want, no?

Go Habs Go !!!

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
MathMan

Quote:
He loves to roll 4 lines
Since when? He gives single-digits to his fourth-liners on a regular basis and they're the first to get cut off the bench late in close games.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:22 PM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
I am really tired of hearing that Pleks is "exhausted" come playoff time because of his presence on the PK. He is a pro athlete. He plays 20 minutes a game in short bursts. One hour a week on average. Players workout harder during practice than they do in real game situations. And many players in the league play 20 minutes a game on both PK and the PP (like Richards) and perform well in the playoffs. I think Pleks does not perform well in the playoffs because the players are more physical.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Not wanting to take sides but player acquisitions and trades are the GM's responsibility. Who is nittany supposed to blame?
I dunno, but maybe we shouldn't act like not getting a fourth-line center due to some other team's cack-up would be a season-compromising management disaster of epic proportions. If it even happens.

Betts is great for his role, but his role is ultimately fairly minor. And there's no confirmation yet that PG is even going to send Betts back.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Not wanting to take sides but player acquisitions and trades are the GM's responsibility. Who is nittany supposed to blame? PG waited until the last minute to get a center for our fourth line, things went wrong and now we have little to fall back on and are somewhat desperate. That's way short of the wise and awesome management we want, no?

Go Habs Go !!!
This is not a 1st line winger we're talking about, we're talking about a 4th line center. It was clear that they had the intentions of giving that spot to Engqvist, but he failed. Had they signed a 4th line center, that would have meant the end of Engqvist's chances. Then we would have had posts complaining about our GM always signs vets and doesn't give the chance to young players in our system to prove themselves and that after we trade them away from nothing. It's an endless cycle of whinning.

There's no reason to blame anyone in this case...Gauthier picked up a guy that filled a hole. He didn't have access to injury info because he can't do physicals to players on other teams. Second, why would Holmgren tell Gauthier that Betts was injured since doing so would be admittal of Holmgren to breaking the rules since it's illegal to put an injured player on waivers.

Basically, we're looking for littlest thing to whine about management. You guys are praising Burke for doing the same thing, waiting until the last minute to get a 4th line center...and he had to give up an asset to do so. Gauthier did the same as him at the same time, without giving an asset and he's an idiot.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMistyForMe View Post
I think Pleks does not perform well in the playoffs because the players are more physical.
I think Pleks performs just as well in the playoffs as he usually does, he just focusses on other things, like defense. I think people are too focussed on straight point production (not that Pleks' really takes a significant dip when you really look at it).

And I think Cammy doesn't get ridiculous numbers of playoff goals playing on his wing completely by accident, either.