HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betts returned to Philly — fails physical with Habs

Old
10-09-2011, 11:51 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I meant "injury" in the sense that anyone who has played professional hockey for a decade probably has enough scar tissue built up somewhere to trigger a problem, not "injury" in the sense that it keeps him from playing.
Ah, either way, something is really off here.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

just to summarize, Betts made it to Toronto in time for game 1 was they reported that he couldn't play because of a minor injury, it turned out to be a back issue, so it's not his shoulder issue. He was suppose to be ready for game 2 today, but I guess it turns out it might be a bit longer.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Why exactly has it taken a week to figure this out?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So the timeline of events...

1. Betts plays 10:41 (right about in line with his average TOI given PK time) in the Flyers' second to last preseason game against the Devils on 9/29/11.

2. Betts continues practicing and competing for a position.

3. Betts plays 9:53 (right about in line with his average TOI given PK time) in the Flyers' final preseason game against the Devils on 10/1/11.

4. Betts continues practicing and competing for a position.

5. On 10/4/11 Betts is placed on waivers the same day as Matt Walker and Oskars Bartulis.

6. On 10/5/11 Betts is claimed off waivers by the Montreal Canadiens.

7. On 10/6/11 the Flyers play against the Boston Bruins while the Canadiens play against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

8. Both teams take part in practices.

9. On 10/8/11 the Flyers play against the New Jersey Devils.

10. On 10/9/11, eight days after appearing in the final preseason game for the Flyers and four days after being claimed by the Canadiens, Blair Betts is returned to Philadelphia after failing a physical.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Why exactly has it taken a week to figure this out?
Same thing happened with Kyle McLaren.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

1. Betts plays 10:41 (right about in line with his average TOI given PK time) in the Flyers' second to last preseason game against the Devils on 9/29/11.

3. Betts plays 9:53 (right about in line with his average TOI given PK time) in the Flyers' final preseason game against the Devils on 10/1/11.

5. On 10/4/11 Betts is placed on waivers the same day as Matt Walker and Oskars Bartulis.

7. On 10/6/11 the Flyers play against the Boston Bruins while the Canadiens play against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

10. On 10/9/11, eight days after appearing in the final preseason game for the Flyers and four days after being claimed by the Canadiens, Blair Betts is returned to Philadelphia after failing a physical.
So the only thing we don't know is when this physical took place--though it seems reasonable to assume it would have been shortly after he arrived in Montreal.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Same thing happened with Kyle McLaren.
I feel like that only took a day or two.

Can we just give the Habs Shelley or Walker and call it even?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:

Like others have said, Betts did not practice, he said he had a back injury that was day-to-day.

I don't thing its a MAJOR issue, players take their physicals before training camp, and maybe Betts had an minor injury and can play at 90% but the Habs want nothing to do with a player at 90%.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Like others have said, Betts did not practice, he said he had a back injury that was day-to-day.

I don't thing its a MAJOR issue, players take their physicals before training camp, and maybe Betts had an minor injury and can play at 90% but the Habs want nothing to do with a player at 90%.
I just find it weird that he was playing fine, then he's waived, and finally he's back having failed a physical.

If he isn't up to the standards that the Canadiens have set, then that's fine, but we should be allowed to demote him. We waived him, and we shouldn't be stuck with his cap hip just because he was at 90% due to a minor injury.

It's an odd situation, and no it's not exactly like McLaren. Firstly, I was under the impression that the McLaren situation resolved itself in the matter of a day or two, and secondly, McLaren had been hurt for a long time before getting claimed unlike Betts who was generally considered healthy long-term.

This problem with Betts severely complicates both our cap situation and our contract situation. It also concerns the short-term futures of both Couturier and Schenn.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
I just find it weird that he was playing fine, then he's waived, and finally he's back having failed a physical.

If he isn't up to the standards that the Canadiens have set, then that's fine, but we should be allowed to demote him. We waived him, and we shouldn't be stuck with his cap hip just because he was at 90% due to a minor injury.

It's an odd situation, and no it's not exactly like McLaren. Firstly, I was under the impression that the McLaren situation resolved itself in the matter of a day or two, and secondly, McLaren had been hurt for a long time before getting claimed unlike Betts who was generally considered healthy long-term.

This problem with Betts severely complicates both our cap situation and our contract situation. It also concerns the short-term futures of both Couturier and Schenn.
McClaren was a trade. The Flyers traded a 6th round pick for him. Completely different situation. You can't waive an injured player unless he is on recall from the minors. The issue is whether Betts was truly injured at the time of the waiver claim. And it's up to the Commisioner's office.

And this situation doesn't in any way severely complicate the Cap situation, or contract situation. Nor should it have any effect on Couturier or Schenn.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:33 PM
MsWoof

If Betts is back in Philly, how many contracts do we have?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
McClaren was a trade. The Flyers traded a 6th round pick for him. Completely different situation. You can't waive an injured player unless he is on recall from the minors. The issue is whether Betts was truly injured at the time of the waiver claim. And it's up to the Commisioner's office.

And this situation doesn't in any way severely complicate the Cap situation, or contract situation. Nor should it have any effect on Couturier or Schenn.
To the first--I don't think the Flyers are in any real trouble--the fact that Betts played the last two preseason games, as Chris mentioned, should be evidence of good faith that he was healthy.

On the latter point--how do you figure. While the cap situation can be managed by demoting Walker (and / or Rinaldo--who only makes like 150k less than Betts), the contract limit issue does seem to be a problem?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
McClaren was a trade. The Flyers traded a 6th round pick for him. Completely different situation.
That's true as well. I forgot that was a trade, not a claim.

Quote:
With how close we are playing to the cap, 0.60m is a big deal. And being forced to send Couturier back to the minors because we're at 50 is another big deal.

I'm pretty sure this severely complicates things.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:41 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
To the first--I don't think the Flyers are in any real trouble--the fact that Betts played the last two preseason games, as Chris mentioned, should be evidence of good faith that he was healthy.

On the latter point--how do you figure. While the cap situation can be managed by demoting Walker (and / or Rinaldo--who only makes like 150k less than Betts), the contract limit issue does seem to be a problem?
if the Flyers are forced to take Betts back, it will force the Flyers to have to make some minor moves. But nothing that will have a huge effect on the Flyers. So it is not a "severe" complication.

Quote:
That's true as well. I forgot that was a trade, not a claim.

With how close we are playing to the cap, 0.60m is a big deal. And being forced to send Couturier back to the minors because we're at 50 is another big deal.

I'm pretty sure this severely complicates things. Not sure how much you've been smoking, but you can't calm this away.
Don't be an alarmist Chris! Do you really believe that the Flyers will send back Couturier to Juniors because they'd have to take Betts back? I doubt it. That would not force the Flyers to do that. The Flyers have moves they can easily make to solve the Cap issue and the contract issue.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't severely complicate it. Not sure what your smoking to say that it does.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Don't be an alarmist Chris! Do you really believe that the Flyers will send back Couturier to Juniors because they'd have to take Betts back? I doubt it. That would not force the Flyers to do that. The Flyers have moves they can easily make to solve the Cap issue and the contract issue.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't severely complicate it. Not sure what your smoking to say that it does.
I'm not worried about the Flyers possibly sending Couturier back.

I'm far more worried that the Flyers will pay with picks to get rid of a contract.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
I'm not worried about the Flyers possibly sending Betts back.

I'm far more worried that the Flyers will pay with picks to get rid of a contract.
Very doubtful.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Very doubtful.
Because Holmgren hasn't shown before that he's willing to shell out 2nd rounders to get rid of problem contracts?

Old
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Because Holmgren hasn't shown before that he's willing to shell out 2nd rounders to get rid of problem contracts?
He's had to to do that to get rid of player on the Flyers roster, not to make a minor deal to clear a contract space on the Flyers reserve list.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This is what you do....

Waive Betts again

Betts clears

Betts doesn't report to Phantoms

Release Betts for insubordination.

Problem solved. This assuming that Betts wouldn't want to play in the minors.

Old
10-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
This is what you do....

Waive Betts again

Betts clears

Except if the league determines that Betts is hurt, he can't be waived, right?

Old
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Except if the league determines that Betts is hurt, he can't be waived, right?
Right, you'd have to wait for him to be healthy, but the Flyers could also put him through their own physical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If Betts is back in Philly, how many contracts do we have?

Old
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
This is what you do....

Waive Betts again

Betts clears

That's a huge assumption. Why would he give up the paycheck especially if he is injured? Unlikely to happen.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
I love Betts, waive someone who doesn't deserve to be here. There are a limited amount of players that could be, but Betts does a great job at what he does.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler4Norris View Post
I love Betts, waive someone who doesn't deserve to be here. There are a limited amount of players that could be, but Betts does a great job at what he does.
waiving a player doesnt solve the issue. we'll have 51 contracts if he's still in the organization

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Before sending Couts back to the minors I would buy out a contract like say Rowe for example. I don't see the need for mass panic over it that's for sure.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote