HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Betts sent back to Philly - Failed Physical

Old
10-09-2011, 01:36 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Pretty sure they'll be fine...
Pretty sure they have to make a trade... And the other GMs know that too.

Unless if they send Couturier to juniors right away

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is stupid logic.

If GMs knew Betts was injured, then they could all complain to the nhl that the Flyers violated waiver protocol by waiving an injured player.

Seriously, you gusy make no sense and are taking this to bash management for no reason, further showing you true colors. You guys are trolls and it's obvious.

If Philly tells people Betts is injured, then they admit violating waiver protocol...why would they tell people when it ****s them over?

Gauthier had a need and picked up a guy for free to fill that need, he failed the physical and was sent back...why is it a bad move? He filled a hole and the guy failed because the Flyers tried to pull a fast one. Now the Flyers are over the cap and perhaps could face a penalty if proven that they knew about the injury.
I doubt that other GMs knew about the injury. More likely they just didn't think they needed Betts.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

I think they'll test Jody Shelly on waivers first. Next game for them is Wednesday. I assume they put Shelly on waivers tomorrow..

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Like I said in another thread, if your player development network failed to produce a regular 4th liner any year, I think there is a problem.

I mean, Habs weren't even able to develop a Pyatt? A Betts?

I bet PG is surprised how little the guys brought into the camp (I'm talking about Engvist and Palushaj, mainly).
To be fair though, how many NHL teams actually have 4th line centres that were developed in the same system? There is such a high turnover rate of bottom line players. The inability is not in the development, but in free agency. The Habs were destroyed in the faceoff circle by Bergeron in the playoffs, someone should have clued in.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:43 PM
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I think they'll test Jody Shelly on waivers first. Next game for them is Wednesday. I assume they put Shelly on waivers tomorrow..
And if no one picks him up (likely), they are still in the same boat lol

Old
10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post

Couturiers contract doesn't count against the limit until he plays his 10th game. So the Flyers still have 7 more games to find a way to drop a contract if they want to keep Couturier for the season.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:48 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
To be fair though, how many NHL teams actually have 4th line centres that were developed in the same system? There is such a high turnover rate of bottom line players. The inability is not in the development, but in free agency. The Habs were destroyed in the faceoff circle by Bergeron in the playoffs, someone should have clued in.
Fair point, but having sign a 4th line center good at faceoffs wouldn't have helped much against Bergeron because I doubt you would send your fourth line against his.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
HabsFanInTO
HabsFanInBC For now

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=595216

Commissioner Bettman stated: "While it is clear that both clubs have acted in good faith in this unique situation (i.e. a waiver claim), I am not prepared to dispute the conclusion of the Montreal Club doctors that Mr. Betts was physically unfit to play at the time of the claim. Therefore, it is my decision that, per League By-Laws, the appropriate resolution to this matter is to restore the parties to the position they were in prior to the waiver claim on Oct. 5."

HabsFanInTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Then the difference would be negligible.
The Habs did get a fair smaller on average actually. Adding DD was a killer on the averages.

Of course, they could trade DD for a much bigger player or something but I don't see that that would really help the club.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanInTO View Post

Commissioner Bettman stated: "While it is clear that both clubs have acted in good faith in this unique situation (i.e. a waiver claim), I am not prepared to dispute the conclusion of the Montreal Club doctors that Mr. Betts was physically unfit to play at the time of the claim. Therefore, it is my decision that, per League By-Laws, the appropriate resolution to this matter is to restore the parties to the position they were in prior to the waiver claim on Oct. 5."
What is the Deal with Bettman ? Why does he hate the Habs so much ? And all of Quebec for that matter ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:

I don't see anywhere of Bettman consulting with Dr Recchi first
He may have told Bettman that the Montreal doctors are wrong and Betts can play on crutches if need be.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
This means it's unlikely Philly will get penalized for putting an injured player on waivers (which I think is the right call), but it still causes Philly's too-many-contracts problem to return.

If Montreal and Philly are both unhappy with Bettman's decision, it's a trivial matter for them to trade Betts for futures, but my thinking is that Montreal initiated this.

Old
pine
irregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWiznewski View Post
What is the Deal with Bettman ? Why does he hate the Habs so much ? And all of Quebec for that matter ?
How the **** did you reach that conclusion

Old
10-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs did get a fair smaller on average actually. Adding DD was a killer on the averages.

Of course, they could trade DD for a much bigger player or something but I don't see that that would really help the club.
Overall Montreal isn't all that small, especially since while Plekanec and Gomez are shorter they're stocky and basically at average weight. The thing is that it is a bit unusual to have three sub 5'10 forwards on the same roster.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Couturiers contract doesn't count against the limit until he plays his 10th game.
Are you sure? I thought contracts counted regardless of where the player was (including in junior).

Old
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
RE-HABS

Don't think Shelley can be waived as he is suspended.

In regards to Couturier's salary, his salary would count against the cap the first 9 games no matter what as he is a part of the current roster. If he was not to play past the 9 games his 3 year entry level contract would stay in place.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWiznewski View Post
LOL. Any chance to demonize Bettman even when he is totally innocent.

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Are you sure? I thought contracts counted regardless of where the player was (including in junior).
No, players in junior who have signed count towards a teams reserve list (which can be up to 90 players, basically all signed and unsigned players belonging to an organization), however they don't officially count against the player limit (50 contracts) unless they play enough games in a season.

Here is an article discussing it (though it is obviously not an official press release):
http://flyersfocus.wordpress.com/201...evel-contract/

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
No, players in junior who have signed count towards a teams reserve list (which can be up to 90 players, basically all signed and unsigned players belonging to an organization), however they don't officially count against the player limit (50 contracts) unless they play enough games in a season.
Interesting, and perfectly correct. I did not know that. Probably because teams rarely sign guys and return them to junior, so I was never exposed to the rule.

So it gives the Flyers something of a grace period.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
.. teams rarely sign guys and return them to junior
Uhhhh.. yea they do.

Fuuuu**! This really sucks. He was perfect for our 4th line. And Holmgren was like "oh we waived him because we had no room for him and our rookies unfortunately.." **** smoking *******

And buddah, yea it's important to have penalty killers if you haven't noticed. After Pleky and Moen, we have nothing. And faceoffs? Don't get me started on our faceoffs.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
GordonGraham

thats what happens when you shop at the dollar store

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
hahahahaa

That made my day !!

Awww thoses made in China stuffs...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
patsbury

Quote:

Here is an article discussing it (though it is obviously not an official press release):
http://flyersfocus.wordpress.com/201...evel-contract/
I was doubtful, but this obscure blog is right, article 1 in CBA

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Wrong thread.

Beaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
I was really P.O. about this news. But this made my day.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote