HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can't wait for 'normal life'

Old
10-09-2011, 11:19 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

vCash: 500
One one hand, yes, 4 other teams opened in Europe. on the other hand, none had the schedule that we had.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:23 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The guys I spoke to called it stressful.
These guys as in who exactly? Can you elaborate?

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

you guys realize we're going to do the for like the next 3 seasons right? It's because of the msg renovations.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
you guys realize we're going to do the for like the next 3 seasons right? It's because of the msg renovations.
the issue isn't the 2 regular season games...its the 4 exhibition games in 5 days in 4 different countries and losing a week plus of practice time traveling before the season starts that was the problem.

ducks, kings and sabres had their normal training camps and preseasons in north america and then played only 1 game in europe before the regular season games.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
NickyFotiu

Does the jet lag take a toll on players?

I'd rather play in another teams building in NA than go to Europe year after year

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:09 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I'm so freakin' sick of the Europe thing. I'm glad Richards said it. I don't know how much say the Rangers have in it, but if they can chose so, I hope they refuse this crap next year (should the NHL suggest it). Not having our first home game until the end of the first month of the season? Come on!

Going to Europe and then a West coast trip thing is pure crap. And people can try to dismiss it as whining, but I think it's a true competitive disadvantageous way to start the season--as in, truly unfair. I cannot believe the NHL approved it. It's got to be exhausting, and now we know they couldn't really practice. And on the last game's broadcast they said the ice surface was very crappy.

The result was slow, sloppy play with no flow. The best anyone could do was chip the puck here and there.

In before I'm told I'm crying.
I'd be shocked if anyone feels that this whole europe + west coast trip does not have a significant negative impact. To dismiss this trip is ludicrous which is why I refuse to get on this team for another two weeks. If by the All Star break this team is still struggling to control the puck and pass then it's a problem. 2 games into the season when there's been no chance to develop chemistry? Stupid for me as a fan to whine about how bad they looked.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Xtranova

Not ideal... Perhaps not. Would have been a totally different reaction if we left with 4 points. Look at Buffalo. They loved it... And yeah, that's right... They got all 4.

They had too many travels to different countries, yeah. If they stayed in Sweden and took a short trip to Finland, they at least would have stayed "in the area".

It's easier to look for where we did wrong when you loose vs. look for what you did well when we win. Yes, we do see positive things after a game, but we don't look for them in the same way after a donut of points.

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Well atleast we have until Sat now, im confident that will be a nice break to get it together and settle in a bit. I'm also confident well grab a win at the colo this weekend and swing some momentum for the rest of the month.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Levitate

I wouldn't have minded the trip so much if they didn't spend the whole time playing euro teams on big ice and not getting in much real practice. It was a terrible terrible way to prepare for the season to start, and I hope MSG brass takes note here and demands a more reasonable schedule next year.

Preseason should be about getting the team into shape to start the season, not about performing for as many countries as you can schedule in

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
The Rangers may have gotten 2 points from 2 games, but their overall play was MISERABLE... Hank in both games, as well as individual efforts (e.g. Richards vs. Ducks), those are the reasons the NYR got the points... the PP made me want to puke...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:19 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by playerevaluator View Post
That's Richards classy way of saying, "Thanks for the big contract, it's nice that you let Lundqvist go back home to play for his fans but this was a stupid idea if you are trying to win as many games during the regular season from game 1."
I'm not really opposed to the idea of playing games overseas, HOWEVER, if they were going to do it they should have insisted all games be played on NHL size ice. The game is played much different on the bigger surface and I don't think it's conducive to getting a feel for your players/lines, especially given their opening schedule due to the MSG renovation.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
CM PUNK

and we don't HAVE to go to europe. we will go to europe cause i'm sure dolan made a nice amount of $$ of this trip (THAT is why we played 4 games over there). but we could have just as easily played 'home' preseason games in hartford and played the 1st 7 games on the road in north american cities. its not like a euro trip is the only option with msg unavailable.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
'Goon knows several players and ex-players. He's called numerous things before they were public.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
and we don't HAVE to go to europe. we will go to europe cause i'm sure dolan made a nice amount of $$ of this trip (THAT is why we played 4 games over there). but we could have just as easily played 'home' preseason games in hartford and played the 1st 7 games on the road in north american cities. its not like a euro trip is the only option with msg unavailable.
would have been a nice gesture and something for the fans in Hartford, who after all root for the Rangers farm team... I guess Hartford can't compete with Prague or Gothenburg...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:59 PM
bmw2004

We will see what changes Torts is going to make by Saturday and how it will effect the team play. I really hope we will see a different New York Rangers team that supposed to be as good as it is on paper.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:12 PM
polako

Big teams don't complain about things like this. Are we going to hear them complain about 24/7 also?

Sounds like excuses to me. I'd expect more from the coach.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Big teams don't complain about things like this. Are we going to hear them complain about 24/7 also?

Sounds like excuses to me. I'd expect more from the coach.
Tortorella didn't make any excuses. He said he wants to get the hell out of there and get back to normal playing conditions and practices. The team clearly was not ready.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Is there a particular reason why our Euro trip was so much more stressful then other teams, and we were still the Away team in both of our regular season games?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

People don't realize this because you think, "oh what's the difference between home and away team if it's in Europe?". Difference is last change. It's BS that we didn't get at least one home game.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
People don't realize this because you think, "oh what's the difference between home and away team if it's in Europe?". Difference is last change. It's BS that we didn't get at least one home game.
It's better for us in the long run. Even though we challenge this, most teams have a better home record.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
No it isn't. Unless I'm mistaken now we have 41 HOME games at MSG as opposed to only 40 had one of these 2 games been a "home" game. We didn't lose either of these games because we didn't get the last change...that's just not the case.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
No it isn't. Unless I'm mistaken now we have 41 HOME games at MSG as opposed to only 40 had one of these 2 games been a "home" game. We didn't lose either of these games because we didn't get the last change...that's just not the case.
You could make the argument that we did lose the Kings game because of it. While we held Anaheim to one goal and their top line didn't do anything, LA was a different story. I don't know who was on the ice for LA's goals, but Richards scored and Kopitar scored. I don't know which d men/forward unit was on the ice for those goals, but if it wasn't Girardi and McD, you could argue last change had something to do with that. Anyway, I see your point that we have 41 REAL home games now and the other teams don't.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
No I am sorry I can't for no other reason then
I am friends not media and I can do that.. But read the papers you will be able to figure it out

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Jim Morrison

Excuses, excuses.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Wonder if the Buffalo players feel the same way ?
No because they went out and got the job done as opposed to ****ing the bed and making excuses for it the next day.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote