HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov's interview to "Sovetskiy Sport" Part II (10/6/2011)

Old
10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Atas2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
That ststement has gotten him into trouble with Russian fans as well
It should. Whaterver NHL fans think about it. Olympics is more important than ANY league of this world.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Just came back from one of the Russian sites- it appears that Bryz have utilized his aquired in the USA "freedom of speech" to criticize Russian hockey, Russian system/ government. Not too many "patriots" appreciate him making these kind of comments and consider him as a traitor.

Even though, the guy is 09 World Champ and works with Russian kids every Summer.

Typical USSR era types of attitude. Nothing changes, Russia is back to 1970
Considering there's more freedom of speeech in Russia now than in the US I wouldn't say it's the US that made Ilya that way. And this isn't a misconception I know both countries all to well. Ilya was known for his mouth when he was a kid. His critisizm is really sometimes over the edge, regarding he is living in the US for some time now and his summer vacations aren't really enough to know what's going on in Russia. That's exactly the reason for people to get annoyed of his remarks. They don't want to hear it from somebody who doesn't even live in the country. Although you definitely have to draw a line between "patriots" you meant by putting it in quotation marks who really are just dumb jerks you'll probably find anywhere and people who take Ilya's words seriosly. I'm far from calling him a traitor or something but he isn't always right when he's talking about Russia. Being a russian athlete playing in the US and talking to the media he should represent his country let's put it that way. He has put himself in that position, he just doesn't want to accept it.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Like a t-rex I have weak arms.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Considering there's more freedom of speeech in Russia now than in the US I wouldn't say it's the US that made Ilya that way. And this isn't a misconception I know both countries all to well. Ilya was known for his mouth when he was a kid. His critisizm is really sometimes over the edge, regarding he is living in the US for some time now and his summer vacations aren't really enough to know what's going on in Russia. That's exactly the reason for people to get annoyed of his remarks. They don't want to hear it from somebody who doesn't even live in the country. Although you definitely have to draw a line between "patriots" you meant by putting it in quotation marks who really are just dumb jerks you'll probably find anywhere and people who take Ilya's words seriosly. I'm far from calling him a traitor or something but he isn't always right when he's talking about Russia. Being a russian athlete playing in the US and talking to the media he should represent his country let's put it that way. He has put himself in that position, he just doesn't want to accept it.
I truly apreciate your honest opinion, and your level headed approach.

Your knowledge of the current situation in Russia is that something I lack with my posts and comments, and that is exactly what I was asking for.

However, as much as I agree with you on most of your statement we will, probably, agree to disagree on some points.

Also, your English is impecable, so please feel free to provide correction to my translations. I would really appreciate that.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
It should. Whaterver NHL fans think about it. Olympics is more important than ANY league of this world.
You are absolutely right about Olympics being utmost important sporting event and I do believe that the NHL has to reconsider its attitude toward letting the players to play for their countries.

However, I agree with Iliya on that: contractually bound professionals must not promis something that will violate their contract.

I hope that there will be an Olympic brake in the NHL schedule for 2014, or that Russian players will be able to negotiate legal leave of absence from their clubs to defent their Motherland colors.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:02 PM
McDugan

I'm slow.

Last edited by McDugan: 10-07-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Devastate

Thanks CSKA!

And for the record, i make the same mistake sometimes while reading english or russian. C=S, H=N, sometimes it's confusing haha.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Danja

Quote:
Well right in this interview Ilya said things he shouldn't on russian aviation security which has earned him a high eyebrow from me. I mean we do like to joke about about drinking habits in Russia ourselves. But that doesn't mean we like being regarded notorious alcoholics.
I assume by aviation security you mean aviation safety... do you really think he's incorrect? Russia does seem to have a higher proportion of plane crashes than other countries. 119 people dead so far in 2011, according to MSNBC News (quoting from Aviation-safety.net). Is it wrong for him to be commenting about that? Also, mentioning drinking habits in Russia is not unreasonable. I think that he is doing a very good thing in mentioning this problem. The more high-profile people call attention to the problem, the more pressure will be put on officials to try to fix it. I'm very glad that Ilya is an outspoken guy; I think the league needs people like him.

Off the topic of the interview, I'm a Red Wings fan but I'm going to have to adopt Philly as my second team this year. I've been a big Bryz fan since his Anaheim days and watching the first two games of the season, I really like your guys' style.

Danja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:14 PM
AsiantuntemusLoistaa

Bryzgalov's situation is kind of interesting. From what I have heard he does not come to the national team unless guaranteed the starter's spot, which is a bit strange given that he underperformed in many important games and the difference between him and other goalies is not that huge, and has been otherwise a bit harsh in his interviews. In such a circumstances I would almost expect that a tough coach like Biljaletdinov will prefer to go to Sotchi with some less conflict prone person like Varlamov or Barulin and even Nabokov might be ahead of Bryzgalov in his books.

AsiantuntemusLoistaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiantuntemusLoistaa View Post
Bryzgalov's situation is kind of interesting. From what I have heard he does not come to the national team unless guaranteed the starter's spot, which is a bit strange given that he underperformed in many important games and the difference between him and other goalies is not that huge, and has been otherwise a bit harsh in his interviews. In such a circumstances I would almost expect that a tough coach like Biljaletdinov will prefer to go to Sotchi with some less conflict prone person like Varlamov or Barulin and even Nabokov might be ahead of Bryzgalov in his books.
I don't know about that. He showed up for the Olympics, where he should have been the starter and wasn't. Nabokov will likely be retired by then.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

A lot of his humor is tautological or literal. It's funny:

What if he fought you? Then I would've fought him.

What is your trump card? Ace of diamonds.

This passage was also striking:

Quote:
Q: It is promised that they will switch to better planes in Russia.

A: Do you really believe in that?

Q: Do you?

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Devastate

I don't know much about Ilya's reputation in Russa. Is it pretty tarnished, or what?

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
mosenkov89
Rookie User

Bryzgalov is best goalkeeper of Russia at the moment. I hope the season for him to be successful.

mosenkov89 is offline   Reply With Quote