HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betts returned to Philly — fails physical with Habs

Old
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You act like the man has been playing in a wheelchair.
I just get frusterated watching him play, he is so slow, and makes nothing happen.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I just get frusterated watching him play, he is so slow, and makes nothing happen.
...if you think he makes nothing happen, then you must not be watching him very closely. He makes lots of breakouts happen.

edit: he also created a good number of shorthanded scoring chances for Powe...unfortunately, he was creating them for Powe.

10-09-2011, 09:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
rinaldo will play quite a few more games for the flyers and will be part of the org.

betts will not, because he adds nothing to the team. bye betts
what does Rinaldo bring to the table again?
oh yeah stupid penalties, and zero offense.
I would rather have a 4th line of guys who can you know contribute something to the team? I figured some would have realized this after seeing Boston do this last season. As long as we have meatheads like Shelley and Rinaldo being employed on the 4th line we are going to have issues.
Betts still brings experience and PKing to the 4th line, something Rinaldo does not. And please dont bring up how good the Pk has looked the first 2 games. lets see how they do against a team with a legit PP

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-10-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: horrible typos
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:49 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Oh lord Just stop.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Oh lord Just stop.
Well...Boston's PP is absolutely abysmal, and NJ's isn't anything incredible either.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
You keep saying this, yet provide no tangible evidence to support this claim.

Betts as a defensive forward, who almost always started in his defensive zone, was very effective in pushing the play forward into the offensive zone during five-on-five. he regularly outplayed other 4th lines. His zone finishes were actually 2nd worst on the team, but when you consider that he was starting in his own zone ~73% of the time (at even strength), the difference he made in pushing the play forward (zone finishes), given his role (like carrying Jody Shelley around), blows everyone else out of the water. Combine that with all the SH time he ate up, there's no telling how many extra opportunities it gave Giroux, JVR, Richards, Carter, Briere, etc. to put the puck in the net. All of this despite being mediocre on faceoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what does Rinaldo bring to the table again?
oh yeah stupid penalties, and zero offense.
I would rather have a 4th line of guys who can you know contribute something to the team? I figured some would have realized this after seeing Boston do this for starters last year. As long as we have meatheads like Shelley and Rinaldo being employed on the 4th line we are going to have issues.
Betts still prongs experience and PKing to the 4th line, something Rinaldo does not. And please dont bring up how good the Pk has looked the first 2 games. lets see how they do against a team with a legit PP
Rinaldo brings speed, grit, and tenacity. Which is obviously the direction the team is headed in, and what lavy system employs. Betts cannot do this, he looks like he is skating on a carpet, he cant be very physical anymore due to injuries, and his lack of speed hinders the ability to get onto the forecheck.

betts brings pk experience, but at this point he does not warrant a spot over anyone, because they pkers have looked solid.

And you are right we havent faced an elite pp yet, but as long as we finished higher than 15(where we finished last year, in which betts got the most pk time) on the pk then it was obviously a positive move.....and I would bet you anything we finish higher than 15th.

Obviously we got a better goalie, but bryz numbers on the pk havent been that great so all in how you look at it.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Man all the posters on here talking how good betts is im getting a headache homer siad he was not going to be on the team even if he cleared so what they do with him i dont know but he will not be here for long.......
You might want to take a breath and add the occasional comma or period.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
he helps the fourth line be effective with his speed and forecheck, they look great and they are cycling the puck well, creating a few chances around the net.

Betts will KILL this, he cannot do any of that, his speed and injuries limit his effectiveness as a 4th line player. When he is on the ice prepared to be trapped in your own end because he cannot make anything happen. Then his defensive play gets lauded because he is in good position while being stuck in the zone for his entire shift.
Forechecking is more than just skating as fast as you can and trying to kill another player with a hit. You need to be smart, and position yourself. Betts can do that, and apply intelligent body checks, whereas Rinaldo will find a way to ruin most forechecking opportunities by taking a needless penalty.

Betts is no speed demon, and has regressed a bit the last couple seasons, but I'd take him over Rinaldo for his defensive and REAL forechecking prowess. Doesn't hurt having another PKer and another Center on the 4th line to split faceoffs with Talbot.

The best 4th line I've seen in recent memory for this organization was in 2010 when everyone was healthy. Powe/Asham-Betts-Lappy, a healthy mix of speed, offensive skill, tons of grit, defensive play, and smarts. They were a buzzsaw to play against

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:53 AM
StandingCow

This might be good... now we HAVE to get rid of shelley.... right?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Slowbro

i remember when folks on here thought betts was the second coming of christ..

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:01 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

I think the Habs should have kept Betts. They really need someone like him with all their injuries!

He has probably played through the same injuries the two years he has been with the Flyers as that is the sort of player he is!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
i remember when folks on here thought betts was the second coming of christ..
I still think he's very good at the limited role he plays. The thing at the time was that he filled a very obvious need when we got him, so people had an easier time seeing what he did for the team as the fourth center, because no one had been doing it (at least capably) for a very long time.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Prongo
Beer

Since Betts was returned that means we are back up to 50 contracts right? which means we need to clear a spot for Couts if we want him to stay longer than 9 games right...

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Since Betts was returned that means we are back up to 50 contracts right? which means we need to clear a spot for Couts if we want him to stay longer than 9 games right...
Be prepared to say good bye to another second rounder.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Foreverinour

betts said his shoulder is "fine" and that its a lower body injury. lappy on LT1R now

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverinour View Post
betts said his shoulder is "fine" and that its a lower body injury. lappy on LT1R now
That clears up cap space, but we are still over the contract limit I believe.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
That clears up cap space, but we are still over the contract limit I believe.
I think we are at 50 right now with Couts contract sliding until he plays in more then 9 games. I feel a Stefan Legein trade coming soon haha

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Something will happen betts wasn't going to be here after waviers if he cleared ....

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Meltzer's Musings: Betts Situation

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ation/45/38750

Quote:
In Betts' case, however, there is a little bit of gray area. The Flyers could contend that they intended to send him to the AHL if he cleared waivers and this could fall under section 13.6 of the CBA, which covers loaning injured players to the minors:
Quote:
A Player who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers and who is injured while on an NHL roster can be placed on Regular Waivers and be Loaned to a minor league club prior to appropriate medical clearance being granted only if the Player was on NHL Recall at the time of injury and has not played ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) or remained on the NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) since his Recall. Player shall receive his Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and benefits until appropriate medical clearance is granted. All other Players may not be Loaned until appropriate medical clearance is granted.

See ya do it homer........

And as far as the contract slot issue for Couturier's contract all they have to do is the Flyers simply need to deal any contract for futures/late round pick.........

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-10-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added link, per site rule
Old
10-10-2011, 09:44 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Homer is looking for a trade partner for walker and his contract...........

Old
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
dats81

Quote:
He will have to add some nice toppings to find someone *** enough to pickup Walker. Noone would take Walker for free when he was on waivers.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

So, of the players on the reserve list, who has enough value to be moved for a late-round pick?

Capgeek has a list of the list of the 27 players currently on the reserve list (http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...4&year_id=2011)

It seems to me that the best option for a straight player-pick swap (as opposed to us surrendering a 2nd to get someone to take a contract) would be one of Bourdon, Marshall, or Legein--though pretty much anyone other than Schenn or Gustaffson from that list could potentially be in play.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:44 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Link? Or are you speculating?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Link? Or are you speculating?
Joking, not speculating. Nobody was willing to take Walker on waivers let alone trade for him.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote