HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should have ditched the trap a long time ago.

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Bruinator

vCash: 500
Should have ditched the trap a long time ago.

Just an observation. For a team that used to base it's entire system on the trap, the wild sure are adapting quite well to the "New NHL". Makes me wonder if this team was being held back all those years. By the way, had the pleasure of sitting next to your Manager, Doug Riebrough on a flight this summer. Wonderful man. Had a great time talking Hockey with him, especially about the old Bruins, Habs rivalry. He spoke very Highly about Mikko Koivu. Any word on his return? P.S. Take it easy on the Bruins when you play them, O.K.

Old
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
ceber

They're still a trap-trap-trappin' away. Lemaire's a pretty decent coach though, eh? Manages to take advantage of whatever rules he's given, I think.

Koivu's probably ~3 weeks away yet. He has started skating again, but not with the team, last I heard.

Old
10-22-2005, 07:47 PM
DW

I'm afraid to tell you that this team hasn't changed much other then a handful of better players.

I believe the Star Tribune said that Koivu was actually close to being ready. There was no timetable for his return though.

Old
10-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator
Just an observation. For a team that used to base it's entire system on the trap, the wild sure are adapting quite well to the "New NHL". Makes me wonder if this team was being held back all those years. By the way, had the pleasure of sitting next to your Manager, Doug Riebrough on a flight this summer. Wonderful man. Had a great time talking Hockey with him, especially about the old Bruins, Habs rivalry. He spoke very Highly about Mikko Koivu. Any word on his return? P.S. Take it easy on the Bruins when you play them, O.K.
I may be mistaken, but haven't the Wild completely owned the Bruins, to the tune of having never lost to them?

Old
10-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Yus

No offense to the original poster, but this post just proves that many people think they know about the Wild, when in fact they know nothing. If the Wild are actually producing then something must have changed, because there's no way the trap could survive in the 'new NHL'! At least that's what all of the pundits have been telling everyone. But no one seems to recall that the Wild's 02-03 playoff run began with a crackdown on obstruction.

That's not really suprising though, not many people outside MN pay attention to us, so ignorance can be forgiven.

Old
10-24-2005, 10:04 AM
transplant99

Quote:
there's no way the trap could survive in the 'new NHL'!
Nonsense. Its a defensive system that can be played with or without a redline and with or without obstruction. Lemaire has it down to a science, and in fact, has used it this year to create offense rather than just shut down the other teams offense.

Quote:
But no one seems to recall that the Wild's 02-03 playoff run began with a crackdown on obstruction.
Obstruction and trapping/leftwing lock are two completely different things.

Don't be fooled, the Wild still use the base of a trap system, its clear as day, but Lemaire has the guys playing it without having to worry about getting tugged on through the neutral zone...and it's working in spades.

Old
10-24-2005, 01:34 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 593
^Exactly... look at Team Sweden... no red line and they play the trap

Closed Thread