HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If I Were Pierre Gauthier...

Old
09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Wow...

Unless last year was a sign of things to come, Gomez is a top 30 (or so) centre in the league. He had a horrible season, the worst of his career, but let's not get carried away and say that he's not a top 6 forward.

If Gomez plays at his usual level, and there is no reason just yet to believe that he won't, he's easily an excellent, though overpaid, second line centre on a good team.

Pacioretty isn't proven, but if he plays like he did last year then he's a very good second line left winger.

The real issue with our forwards is that we don't have a game breaker, but we have 6 or 7 forwards who can play in the top 6 on a good team. Maybe more if some break out, maybe less if some disappoint.
Cammy is a game breaker when it counts. We already have one. Subban can also be counted on for that. Gionta too on a smaller scale.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I understand out of a guy you pay 7.5 cap hit you expect 10-15 but my expectation of Gomez was always 20-30th among centers, which wouldn't even necessarily be a top 30 point getter in the league.

But I do understand where people are coming from. That said we needed a 2nd liner center and we got one even if he is overpaid. Teams like Florida have like 7-8 guys overpaid in total that we do with the likes of Gomez and the other slightly overpaid players. With a cap if your team is competitive (we are) and you're overpaying, chances are on the whole you aren't overpaying anymore than other teams.

It's just so glaring for us because of Gomez being the one who takes up the biggest chunk of that overpayment.

A lot of other teams are just overpaying 500k her, 1 mil there, 250k there and it adds up. We have some quite fair deals you never hear anyone talk about. Plek at 5. Also Cammy at 6 is a steal I don't care what people try to tell you. It isn't his fault he's been injured both seasons and has always shown why he's worth 6 million in the post season. In my eyes Cammalleri and Kostitsyn are victims of poor circumstance. They both take quite a bit of time to come back to 100% after an injury and both of them have had injuries most years since being with the club.

Give either of them a healthy year and I think they'll impress a lot of people. For one if Andrei stays healthy pretty sure 3.5 will be a steal. He's only ever produced badly when returning from injuries and that time he was put with Gomez for the most part.

Cammy we all know what he's capable of. Lets not forget neither of these guys throw off the locker room thing we have going on either. All our current roster seem to click together, that has to count for something.

So while we do have an extremely overpaid player in Gomez, if he can return to 55-60pt form or even god forbid somehow exceed even those expectations... he won't be so overpaid and right then and there he'll make the deal worth it for me, cause with a Gomez on his game we can go far. Book it.

If you aren't San Jose, Vancouver, LA, places players would love to live. NYC, etc. You need to overpay, heck even those teams do overpay now and then when it comes to getting the exact player they're looking for. We get to spend to cap, we're a very lucky team in that regard. Gomez contract to us is less of a problem than it would be for a lot of other teams where he'd take up a high % of their internal cap. People make a huge deal sometimes out of small things.

Look at the bigger picture we needed a center, he was available, we got him and nobody else wanted to play here. Suddenly players did want to play here. Gomez is known to be a great guy to play with. Players seem to enjoy his company. Maybe he isn't the reason Cammy and Gio signed. Maybe he is. All I know is Kovalev was about to get a couple more year contract and Gio swooped in and took that money. I don't think that's just a coincidence. And I <3 Gio.

Point is if any team can handle Gomez and his cap hit performing at regular pace it's us. 60pt Gomez makes us a better team regardless of his cap hit and I think he's going to show us what he's made of this year. I'm calling it right now, Gomez will be the wild card this year.
Gomez is abject failure, as are the long winding excuses being made for a player who is the punch line on the league's longest running joke.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Gomez is abject failure, as are the long winding excuses being made for a player who is the punch line on the league's longest running joke.
I know you're as pessimistic as they come so I didn't expect you to understand no worries.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Weeeeee YET ANOTHER let's bash Gomez thread.

So predictable.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
PlayMistyForMe

I searched on HF Board for Gomez AND overpaid and got 82 pages of results. I think we got the message. If I were Pierre Gauthier... I would ban the words Gomez and overpaid used in the same sentence.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
BLBarmada

I'd get rid of Gomez, start talking to Price, fire Martin and beg Boucher to comeback.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Beendair Donedat

I agree Clarkson is probably making too much but he would fill a huge void in the lineup. He's the Chris Neil type of player we've been missing for awhile...for forever really. With Clarkson on the right side of Eller and Kostitsyn, you have a third line that has size, hitting ability, scoring and a guy that can and will drop the gloves when necessary. I think he'd be a perfect complement on the third line.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Today is the first pre-season game.

I would like to see Aaron Palushaj and Josh McFadden both make the team, thoughts??

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Habs

I would determine exactly what type of team I want to ice for the next three years, and stay the course. PG appears to change his mind as the wind blows, as if he can't decide if he wants speed, size... whatever..

oh and one last thing...

I WOULD STOP TRADING MY SECOND ROUND PICKS AT THE DEADLINE.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Clarkson has a cap hit of $2,700,000.00 and I don't see New Jersey trading him unless we send them a prospect.

I say we trade Desharnais + Weber for a legitimate 3rd line right wing to play with Kostitsyn and Eller.
This very summer Devils fans were willing to trade Clarkson for Weber straight up. I think they must not be happy with his work over there. I wouldn't give DD, he's the only young talent we got with Eller and Max that that has chance to show some offense this year. Our forwards are only gonna get older in the next three years, we need young legs to take the torch.

The ideal trade should have occured after the Boston beatdown, we should have made a blockbuster with the Devils getting Clarkson, Letourneau-Leblonc and Arnott. You get a tough guy that can play, a goon(and frenchie to boot) and a big center(even of his best days are behind him). It would have changed completly the makeup of this team.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhabib View Post
Today is the first pre-season game.

I would like to see Aaron Palushaj and Josh McFadden both make the team, thoughts??
Watching him last night, he' still to weak IMO and I would use him has trade bait. In the mean time, Hamilton bound.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I would determine exactly what type of team I want to ice for the next three years, and stay the course. PG appears to change his mind as the wind blows, as if he can't decide if he wants speed, size... whatever..

oh and one last thing...

I WOULD STOP TRADING MY SECOND ROUND PICKS AT THE DEADLINE.
Both trades helped the Habs so much, I don't understand some people. It's nice to have a draft pick and hope that he can turn into a good player down the road but we needed help right away, Moore did that helping us beat the Caps and Pens and Wisniewski wasn't a deadline move, traded to us after X-Mas and I honestly don't know if this team makes the playoffs without that move

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
This very summer Devils fans were willing to trade Clarkson for Weber straight up. I think they must not be happy with his work over there.
So it's management by fan consensus in NJ? I think Lamoriello might disagree with that . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I would trade Kostitsyn and try to acquire Geoffrion.

I'd also pull Martin aside and explain to him my expectations of the team, set some standards so to speak.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
tinyzombies

I would do nothing. Let the kids continue to develop and then hope to steal something at the deadline. We have maybe a 1-2 year window to get a Cup. There's a bunch of up-and-coming teams...

I'd also hang onto and try to restock picks/the farm and adopt a third jersey, pink for the ladies.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
I'd get rid of Gomez, start talking to Price, fire Martin and beg Boucher to comeback.
Boucher is not coming back to Montreal anytime soon, he's in a great situation in Tampa being able to coach Stamkos and St.Louis.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Le CH

You do nothing... Canadiens have an excellent opportunity to play the youngsters and evaluate their performance. Markov is likely to be back by X-mas, Spacek is likely only gone for a couple of weeks, same with Cammalleri and Eller so this is not that dramatic - play the young player and give them experience.

This time period also gives Pacioretty and Kostitsyn the opportunity to carry the team a little...

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:23 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I would not trade picks for vets we don't need.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:39 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

I'd be shopping kostitsyn, DD and weber to see if an interesting trade is out their especially for a quality physical shutdown D. Preferably an AK/YW package since the only reason I'd consider trading DD is there doesn't seem a proper spot for him in the lineup.

Maybe sign Bryan McCabe if he's willing to come cheap. If so, trade spacek(or use him to sweeten the pot of another trade) or put him on waivers once he's not ijured.

Sign John Madden(or other good PKing UFA center) to play on the PK/4th line and place on waivers when White and Eller return. He might surprise and earn the 4th line center job, even.

I certainly wouldn't trade picks for temporary fill-ins. Most likely wouldn't make any moves right now.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:01 AM
DJ Breadman

apparently on rds they said PG had a long chat with Burke tonight, anyone else here that?

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:11 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
apparently on rds they said PG had a long chat with Burke tonight, anyone else here that?
yeah heard that on RDS, i have good sources that tells me that gauthier was asking burke about advice on how to build a 'tough' team

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I wouldn't mind Gunnarsson but he'd basically be taking Campoli's spot. I wouldn't want to sit Diaz or Emelin or Weber in favour of him. Getting Gunnarsson and moving Spacek would be my ideal scenario. Gunnarsson-Gorges could play together on the PK and at ES which would make it an ideal pairing. He had the least amount of giveaways too last year of the Leafs D regulars. He also rarely takes penalties.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
It's too early in the season to do a panic move. Give Emelin and Diaz some games, they aren't 20 year olds, they have pro experience, let them adjust.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:34 AM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's too early in the season to do a panic move. Give Emelin and Diaz some games, they aren't 20 year olds, they have pro experience, let them adjust.
Wouldn't mind signing Brian McCabe though.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Belenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Give'em 15 games and you will be excited about them.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote