HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Semyon Varlamov's play?

Old
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
TheStranger

vCash: 500
Not sure why you're still arguing with this kid...clearly he's attempting to get a rise out of all of you and it's working for him. He's continuously amping it up to make it worse and worse. At first saying he agreed Varlamov is very good, and he expected him to do very well if he stayed healthy and now descending into calling him garbage and a bust that had no career left in the NHL.

This is not the discussion of someone who actually believes what they are saying but more likely someone who has no idea what they're talking about trying to get you all freaking out.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
He was really good last game
both shots that beat him were absolute lasers

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Not sure why you're still arguing with this kid...clearly he's attempting to get a rise out of all of you and it's working for him. He's continuously amping it up to make it worse and worse. At first saying he agreed Varlamov is very good, and he expected him to do very well if he stayed healthy and now descending into calling him garbage and a bust that had no career left in the NHL.

This is not the discussion of someone who actually believes what they are saying but more likely someone who has no idea what they're talking about trying to get you all freaking out.
In his defense he was talking about Vishnevskiy. You guys just misread.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
In his defense he was talking about Vishnevskiy. You guys just misread.
Ah okay, it went from one page tot he next and I couldn't be bother to click a button to read anymore ********

Old
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yeah the same one that got a shutout yesterday for the Panthers.
This has what to do with anything?

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Not sure why you're still arguing with this kid...clearly he's attempting to get a rise out of all of you and it's working for him.
This. There's no point debating with some bored teenager who clearly is not particularly knowledgeable and appears to have no legitimate reason for posting here other than that he's trying to get people worked up.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 200
As a Toronto fan who's had the chance to see Giguere play most recently I would say you guys don't want him starting. Yes we sucked, and he was often injured and that made it hard for him to get any consistency. But he just wasn't too great for us. I think he knows that and he will push himself to be much better, and it sounds like he's been good in pre-season according to you guys.

However, you guys gave a lot for Varlamov so you want this guy to come in and be the #1. At this point I think he is better than Giguere, although this is going off his numbers. I admit I have not watched him play. Good luck this season, make that draft pick a crappy one

EmergencyExit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:02 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
As a Toronto fan who's had the chance to see Giguere play most recently I would say you guys don't want him starting. Yes we sucked, and he was often injured and that made it hard for him to get any consistency. But he just wasn't too great for us. I think he knows that and he will push himself to be much better, and it sounds like he's been good in pre-season according to you guys.

However, you guys gave a lot for Varlamov so you want this guy to come in and be the #1. At this point I think he is better than Giguere, although this is going off his numbers. I admit I have not watched him play. Good luck this season, make that draft pick a crappy one
Thanks for the insight on Giguere. I haven't been able to see him play yet (stupid Avs and not showing anything involving the preseason). But, like you mentioned, it seems like he's looked much better than at any point with the Leafs. I'm really hoping that he just had a lingering injury issue and finally got it taken care of, but most importantly I really hope he can be a positive influence on Varlamov. He and Varly have the exact opposite playing styles, but I'm hoping Varlamov will learn how to be efficient with his movements and with his positioning. That will probably help him cut down on potential injury situations and just calm his game down.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
TheStranger

Quote:

So far we're just going off of some reports in pre-season and what Giguere has said himself. He had off-season surgery that he has been putting off for awhile now. Giguere says he feels as good as he has in several years, which is a good sign. Couple that with the fact he has looked very good in the pre-season and hopefully he'll give us a chance to win any time he gets to play.

That said, considering that we've paid a price for Varlamov, hopefully Giguere doesn't become more than a back-up.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:14 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 200
During his time here he was a great locker room guy. Seemed to be a real good personality, especially with the other goalies. Gus and Reimer both mentioned now and then that he would give them tips and advice etc.

EmergencyExit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
During his time here he was a great locker room guy. Seemed to be a real good personality, especially with the other goalies. Gus and Reimer both mentioned now and then that he would give them tips and advice etc.
This is what we're hoping for as well. Avs don't have a full time goalie coach, so hopefully Giggy kind of acts like that in between our goalie coach being around. Varlamov will need some guidance.

Old
10-09-2011, 11:40 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
A bust before he was traded? It was 4 years after he was drafted, not enough time to call him a bust. Unless you think Eller is a bust too since it been 4 years since he was drafted and he's done nothing in the NHL. You really hate logic don't you?
I don't hate logic. I embrace it. And there's lots of times you can tell if a player is a bust within 4 years.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Can folks please stop feeding the troll?

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:09 AM
avacol

Quote:
So far we're just going off of some reports in pre-season and what Giguere has said himself. He had off-season surgery that he has been putting off for awhile now. Giguere says he feels as good as he has in several years, which is a good sign. Couple that with the fact he has looked very good in the pre-season and hopefully he'll give us a chance to win any time he gets to play.

That said, considering that we've paid a price for Varlamov, hopefully Giguere doesn't become more than a back-up.
Having two great goaltenders is never a bad thing

avacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacol View Post
Having two great goaltenders is never a bad thing
I didn't say it was, but regardless of how Giguere plays I hope it's never good enough to knock Varlamov out of 1st since that means Varlamov isn't playing as well as he needs to.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:21 AM
The Infamous Tank
Franklinator Maker

Hint to everyone entering this thread you should edit your ignore list to include a certain person

The Infamous Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:35 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Someone mentioned in the training camp thread, or pre-season thread that Varlamov doesn't hug the posts much and leaves some space on the sides. I have to say that after watching Varlamov for the first time it was pretty obvious. It's a bit concerning, but if he keeps playing like he has, I really don't care what he does in nets.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

This kid isn't too bad.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Someone mentioned in the training camp thread, or pre-season thread that Varlamov doesn't hug the posts much and leaves some space on the sides. I have to say that after watching Varlamov for the first time it was pretty obvious. It's a bit concerning, but if he keeps playing like he has, I really don't care what he does in nets.
I think Boston read that scouting report, they were whipping 0 angle shots at the posts all night. Starlamov was hugging the **** out of those posts, not sure where that info came from.

They also heard "Glove high" and he shut that down all game too,

Old
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Gumballhead

He's big, he's quick, he's bendy, and he's athletic. If our defensive effort stays like this all season, he's going to have a great first year for us.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
I think Boston read that scouting report, they were whipping 0 angle shots at the posts all night. Starlamov was hugging the **** out of those posts, not sure where that info came from.

They also heard "Glove high" and he shut that down all game too,
Watch the Detroit game again. It wasn't noticeable this game, maybe it was just because of the away jerseys.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He was dominant today... Wow.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

What a beautiful save on Lucic today to keep the shutout intact.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=127365

"A Tim Thomas-esque save by Varlamov." Ugh...

Old
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
ferike

He was fantastic today. Nice to see him smile at the end of the game.

ferike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
zhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
What a beautiful save on Lucic today to keep the shutout intact.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=127365

"A Tim Thomas-esque save by Varlamov." Ugh...
that was a beaut save

zhack is offline   Reply With Quote