HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Edmonton Journalist Links Oilers to Del Zotto

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 09:16 AM
94now

vCash: 500
MDZ is our future #1D, something Staal will never become. He is untouchable.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
And that is exactly why I would not trade DZ as quickly as other people would. The kid is 21 and has already proven that he could be an above average scoring defenseman. I think if he is traded, that leaves a huge gap that we will have to fill by trading for someone or signing a UFA- which is not the right way to go IMO.
Thats a problem I would take 110x out of 100. There are young puck-movers available. LA has Voynov and Hickey just off the top of my head.

Montreal always has a ton of puck-movers. Maybe they look to add a stay-at-home type.

Erixon is a puck-mover and McDonagh looks to be progressing nicely in that regard.

The Rangers have Richards who will most likely be their PP QB moving forward for the next 5 years at least.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Woahhhhhh there, take it easy...

10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Thats a problem I would take 110x out of 100. There are young puck-movers available. LA has Voynov and Hickey just off the top of my head.

Montreal always has a ton of puck-movers. Maybe they look to add a stay-at-home type.

Erixon is a puck-mover and McDonagh looks to be progressing nicely in that regard.

The Rangers have Richards who will most likely be their PP QB moving forward for the next 5 years at least.
Erixon and McD don't have nearly the upside that Del Zotto has shown as a scoring D-man.

Voynov and Hickey have not played one season in the NHL.

Montreal has who?

And Richards is obviously the PP QB- but wouldn't you rather have 2 threats from the point instead of one?

Old
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Sure! MDZ, Kreider and 2012's 1st rounder for Hall. You wanna give that up, because that's what it's gonna take?
Oilers throw in a pick on the other side of that and I wouldn't mind this deal at all.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

A deal like this obviously wouldn't happen in the forseeable future,until Staal is back, but at the draft, maybe if they think they could land Suter, or if they possibly have a deal for another offensive d-man in the works.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Woahhhhhh there, take it easy...
Just telling you the future. MDZ will be here after Torts and Slats are gone, mark my words.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Erixon and McD don't have nearly the upside that Del Zotto has shown as a scoring D-man.

Voynov and Hickey have not played one season in the NHL.

Montreal has who?

And Richards is obviously the PP QB- but wouldn't you rather have 2 threats from the point instead of one?
Erixon does in fact have the upside MDZ does. McDonagh can become a 30 point defenseman. Nothing to scoff at.

Voynov and Hickey would be playing on the Rangers right now. Both have similar to, if not better ceilings than MDZ in terms of offensive ability.

They would still have (2) options on the PP point. MDZ isn't much of a shooter anyways. He is a distributor. Throw Erixon over there and let him hammer away on some one-timers

Old
10-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
They may if they feel they have enough young forwards and need a young defenseman. The Rangers may feel they can finally start dealing some of their young depth d-men and its possible a team like Edmonton would look at MDZ + Kundratek + Hagelin as a decent package for 1 of their young players.
I just think they'd have a hard time selling that to their fan base, but who knows?

Wonder if we could get Wolski and Smid involved.

Wolski + Del Zotto for Smid + Paajarvi? Probably needs a little more from our end in terms of value, but I doubt Edmonton would go for it.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I just think they'd have a hard time selling that to their fan base, but who knows?

Wonder if we could get Wolski and Smid involved.

Wolski + Del Zotto for Smid + Paajarvi? Probably needs a little more from our end in terms of value, but I doubt Edmonton would go for it.
Yeah. Probably not. Probably would look more like Peckham + Paajarvi for Wolski + MDZ.

Probably still need to add.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Sure! MDZ, Kreider and 2012's 1st rounder for Hall. You wanna give that up, because that's what it's gonna take?
It would probably take alot more than that...

Old
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Del Zotto has looked pretty good as of late. The amount of assets that would have to be moved to get Hall is astronomical. You are looking at probably MDZ, 2 firsts, 2 seconds.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Yeah. Probably not. Probably would look more like Peckham + Paajarvi for Wolski + MDZ.

Probably still need to add.
Yeah, probably, though I think Wolski could do well in Edmonton. Seems like the right environment for him.

Still, I think hanging onto Paajarvi and adding Murray at the draft is probably more appealing to Edmonton at this point.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Del Zotto has looked pretty good as of late. The amount of assets that would have to be moved to get Hall is astronomical. You are looking at probably MDZ, 2 firsts, 2 seconds.
And then keep adding haha. Kreider and a current top six forward AT LEAST

Old
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
There isn't a piece on the Rangers (Besides Henrik) that I wouldn't trade for Hall one-for-one.

Not one. But that isn't where the team is at right now, at least not in my opinion.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
There isn't a piece on the Rangers (Besides Henrik) that I wouldn't trade for Hall one-for-one.

Not one. But that isn't where the team is at right now, at least not in my opinion.
Agree 100%. We're in the position where we need a tactful move for a top LWer then let things play out. We've been in this position since we signed Richards though, I am certain they won't make a move until they try every possible LW with Richards/Gaborik (multiple times).

Clearly our D situation is a bit precarious but given time it will come around, I didn't watch the games this weekend due to work. My dad told me he thought Girardi, Sauer, and McDonagh elevated their games and were pretty impressive. Said Erixon looks like he could work out made some errors but nothing like MDZ (he thinks they should move him.

Also told me Gaborik looked scared and wouldn't cross the blueline haha.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Really???

Old
10-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Del Zotto and 3 1st Round Picks for Hall?

Old
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Pizza

GM's talk all the time. Bounce stuff off each other. Taylor Hall isn't going anywhere. The price could wreck an organizations prospect pipeline, shed high picks and subtract high value roster players.

The combination of Del Zotto's talent, the simple fact that we need him, and the reality that we'd likely get less than we want means he'll probably be around for awhile. I thought he was decent in Europe.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Agree 100%. We're in the position where we need a tactful move for a top LWer then let things play out. We've been in this position since we signed Richards though, I am certain they won't make a move until they try every possible LW with Richards/Gaborik (multiple times).

Clearly our D situation is a bit precarious but given time it will come around, I didn't watch the games this weekend due to work. My dad told me he thought Girardi, Sauer, and McDonagh elevated their games and were pretty impressive. Said Erixon looks like he could work out made some errors but nothing like MDZ (he thinks they should move him.

Also told me Gaborik looked scared and wouldn't cross the blueline haha.
True, and considering we have a least 1 top 6 LW just about ready to make the team we shouldn't be overhauling the roster to acquire one this season.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, and considering we have a least 1 top 6 LW just about ready to make the team we shouldn't be overhauling the roster to acquire one this season.
Well if we've learned anything this season it's "don't count your chickens before they hatch".

Erixon was supposed to be a sure fire NHL ready prospect and he may stick it out yet, but he may also play in CT.

So I for one don't consider Kreider a sure thing next year. Hopefully he is, but who knows.

We should wait it out awhile and see how things click and then make a move mid season to put our top 6 over the top. If at that point MDZ hasn't made great strides I won't be upset to move him.

I was really thinking he'd have a great bounce back season this year but he's kind of a dumb hockey player. He might need to work on basics, like don't retreat to your own zone . That's something my dad and I were talking about when he called. MDZ got by on pure skill from a young age and didn't have to think the game as much as others did most likely.

That's where I think Erixon has him beat, it's also a requirement in my eyes with young players in deciding whether to let them play through their mistakes in the NHL or go learn in the AHL. Erixon might be the kind of player who makes a mistake once and learns from it, that's ok I can handle that on my NHL roster. What I can't handle is a guy who makes the same mistakes over and over (MDZ?). Time will tell.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Well, the Oilers and 'young forward' part has me excited, but lets remember that Del Zotto is the one and only puck moving defenseman left in our system.

We ditched Sanguinetti (smart), passed over Fowler (idiotic), and left 3rd Pairing Pashnin in Russia (Probably best for both parties)
Pashnin has never been considered a puck moving d-man. If anything, he's offensively inept.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Really???
MDZ was made a scape goat last year as Torts needed to save his job. MDZ's development is on schedule. There is no smarter or more gifted player in the pipeline. We do not need Hall. We have 1C for years.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
MDZ was made a scape goat last year as Torts needed to save his job. MDZ's development is on schedule. There is no smarter or more gifted player in the pipeline. We do not need Hall. We have 1C for years.
Uhh, Hall is a LW

Not exactly helping your credibility here

Old
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Not really interested in moving him for anything realistic from the Oilers. He's looked very good so far, and is the only legitimate puck mover in the system; unless Sather can get Paajarvi for MDZ, straight up, I'm not really interested, personally.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Closed Thread