HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why not Chris Clark?

Old
10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Why not Chris Clark?

With Betts gone and Engqvist not ready, why not Chris Clark? Big, tough, RH shot. Strong defensive player. Consumate team man. Would not be pricey at this point in his career. Only drawback is that he is a winger which means that White would have to move over and center the 4th line.

Recently cut by the Bruins, he was more a victim of numbers than of poor play. This from Boston:

link

Chris Clark did not get a job with the Bruins [team stats], but coach Claude Julien gave him a heck of a recommendation yesterday.

Clark spent the entire training camp with the Bruins on a tryout, but on the eve of the season on Wednesday he was told that there wasn’t any room for him[/B]. It just wasn’t the right fit, said Julien.

“It was a tough call and, again, I was one of the guys standing up here saying he’s got good experience and good leadership qualities. And at the end of the day, as a whole group, a tough decision was made,” said Julien before last night’s 2-1 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers.

“Anybody who asks me the question right now, I’ll answer without hesitation that Chris Clark can still play in the NHL. That’s not a question,” Julien added.

Last edited by Sam I Am: 10-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Chris Clark. What's the worst that would happen, we send him down if he it doesn't work out?

I'm sure he'd accept something pretty small as well on a short-term (1-year) deal.

Go for it.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I'd rather just sign John Madden, solid at faceoffs and awesome on the PK. Can also still chip in with around 20 points too.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Our PK is 100% and Engqvist has the third most forward PK minutes, only a few seconds less than Gionta. No reason to not keep giving him a chance while he's doing the job.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Our PK is 100% and Engqvist has the third most forward PK minutes, only a few seconds less than Gionta. No reason to not keep giving him a chance while he's doing the job.
I'd rather get Gionta off the PK. Or take off minutes from Pleky. Problem is: Madden is too slow now and Clark.. I don't know.. wasn't he that Captain that got traded?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
otto bond

I could see the interest there and maybe the R shot helps. Madden is a bit older but a true center and more durable. I would take Madden before Clark

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Enqvist is also sporting a 50% faceoff win. Desharnais is brutal at 30%.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Engqvist seems to be getting the hang of the faceoff thing.

It's only 2 games, but Pleks is at an impressive 57.4

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Sam I Am

A couple of other forwards with a lot of NHL experience who could help on a 4th line. Might sign 1 2-way deal at this point--who knows?

Fernando Pisani
Mike Grier

Old
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM
RE-HABS

Clark as a rugged leadership player would be a 4th line addition, but it still wouldn't address the centre need for face-offs.

Grier, injury prone at this stage.

Pisani, health issues and a one trick pony ala John Druce and Chris Kontos.

Habs may need to search for help in the form of a trade this time. Philly still could be an option as they want to shed salary to let Schenn play.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:19 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
A couple of other forwards with a lot of NHL experience who could help on a 4th line. Might sign 1 2-way deal at this point--who knows?

Fernando Pisani
Mike Grier
We need someone that can play defense if another injury occurs to one of our Ds.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Clark as a rugged leadership player would be a 4th line addition, but it still wouldn't address the centre need for face-offs.

Grier, injury prone at this stage.

Pisani, health issues and a one trick pony ala John Druce and Chris Kontos.

Habs may need to search for help in the form of a trade this time. Philly still could be an option as they want to shed salary to let Schenn play.
Don't see Philly as a good fit. Their only centerman who could fit the bill is Max Talbot. At 2.5 Million he's too much player...not to mention was just acquired as a UFA by the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
We need someone that can play defense if another injury occurs to one of our Ds.
Too back Nash is out for a long period. I thought he showed poise and promise last year.

Paul Mara, take 3?

Last edited by overlords: 10-10-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old
10-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Celtic Cross

Quote:
Too back Nash is out for a long period. I thought he showed poise and promise last year.

Paul Mara, take 3?
Maybe 3rd times the charm in Mara case

LOL but in all seriousness I think Clark makes a great deal of sense for us, and i'm shocked Bruins didnt keep him. Look at how well Marchand did in his rookie season, why? well i'm sure advice from linemate veteran Mark Recchi helped the cause no?

Celtic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Paul Mara, take 3?
Would rather see Mitera get a call up.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Andy

And how does this solve the 4th line center problem?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
And how does this solve the 4th line center problem?
cause he's a RW. Surprise youre the first one to say it.

Ill add that he sucks too.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
neofury*

I'd rather Madden honestly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
habfaninvictoria

Don't want Bruins cast off

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Kriss E

Prefer Madden as long as he's in good shape. I don't know why people are knocking on Engqvist as well, he's played well these past two games.

I'm pleased with our youngsters in general.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Iwishihadacup

Engqvist is getting better, so no thanks

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
NLHabsFan

I don't want to see White playing center and Engqvist has not been terrible and I think he will continue to improve as the season goes on. He's been decent both in the circle and on the PK, plus I don't see the 4th line center playing a whole lot anyways so Engqvist will suffice.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
JohnLennon

A problem with these boards is that everyone says things like "Why don't we sign this completely random player, worst case scenario we just send him down to the AHL!"

It doesn't work like that. There is a limit to the number of contracts you can get and we aren't going to waste contracts on a player we don't even actually need. We need a fourth line center right now until Lars Eller comes up. Stop always recommending the Habs pick up random players and give them tryouts and if it doesn't work out, dump him on the Dogs.

It just makes life more difficult for the Habs and Bulldogs when we sign a player we don't even need just because some people think we need a tough fourth line winger as if it is something that can change everything about this team forever. It's so much more efficient to play Engqvist and try to develop his game at this level, and keep Ryan White on the wing where he belongs, than to bring in some newbie only to be sent down when our team is healthy again.

Last edited by JohnLennon: 10-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Because we got rid of Blair Betts. It only would have been acceptable to roll the line of BB-CC-DD.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Bullsmith

Eller's return will help. Especially if he improves on the faceoff, although coming off shoulder surgery, he likely won't help a lot in the faceoff circle right away. Then again he can't do much worse than DD so far.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
A problem with these boards is that everyone says things like "Why don't we sign this completely random player, worst case scenario we just send him down to the AHL!"

It doesn't work like that. There is a limit to the number of contracts you can get and we aren't going to waste contracts on a player we don't even actually need. We need a fourth line center right now until Lars Eller comes up. Stop always recommending the Habs pick up random players and give them tryouts and if it doesn't work out, dump him on the Dogs.

It just makes life more difficult for the Habs and Bulldogs when we sign a player we don't even need just because some people think we need a tough fourth line winger as if it is something that can change everything about this team forever. It's so much more efficient to play Engqvist and try to develop his game at this level, and keep Ryan White on the wing where he belongs, than to bring in some newbie only to be sent down when our team is healthy again.
Take it easy pal. The Dogs could use the experience. And that's why you sign him to a short term contract or did your intelligent eyes not pick that up?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote