HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Player of the Game Poll 10-8-11 Panthers @ Isles (MONTOYA)

View Poll Results: Islander Player of the Game vs. Florida
Hamonic 13 14.61%
Montoya 42 47.19%
Tavares 4 4.49%
Reasoner 0 0%
Streit 7 7.87%
Okposo 0 0%
Rolston 2 2.25%
Other 3 3.37%
No one is deserving (none) 18 20.22%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2011, 01:58 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Montoya kept us in it. Florida is very much a better team. The rest looked rusty in all situations (Monty even looked rusty at the get-go).

Hamonic wins 2nd place. Your goalie gets run, I DO NOT CARE IF WE WERE DOWN TWO MEN, you get the bastid. He did. The kid knows when to make his bones and did it. Now the rest of the team should take a cue and start hitting and hitting hard.

No purse swinging, though.

Tavares won third. He tried to make the rushes but PA's timing is off and Moulson didn't have his head in the game.

HM: Bailey. YES, BAILEY. His defensive game was solid and he stopped a few chances. He can't decide on his offense because he has ZERO confidence, but his defensive game was better than anyone.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
I don't understand the two bold. I think Streit looked very good for someone who hasn't played a regular season game in a year. Also, Montoya looked great out there. If he didn't play well we could have lost by a lot more.
So....he looked good for Mark Streit, bad for an NHL defenseman. Clarified any? The only comparison to be used: how does XX look as an NHL starting defenseman/forward/goalie, not "if he wasn't injured/out for a year/suffering from a hangnail" comparison.

We play in the NHL, not a convalescent home.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Hip Of Rick

[QUOTE=OlTimeHockey;37684239]Hamonic wins 2nd place. Your goalie gets run, I DO NOT CARE IF WE WERE DOWN TWO MEN, you get the bastid. He did. The kid knows when to make his bones and did it. Now the rest of the team should take a cue and start hitting and hitting hard.

QUOTE]

That is a recipe for a ton of losses. Take the number and fight the guy in 5, giving away goals ( 5 on 3) is stupid. If the play was so bad why didn't Montoya throw a shove... its because Montoya was trapping the guy underneath him.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Hamonic wins 2nd place. Your goalie gets run, I DO NOT CARE IF WE WERE DOWN TWO MEN, you get the bastid. He did. The kid knows when to make his bones and did it. Now the rest of the team should take a cue and start hitting and hitting hard.

That is a recipe for a ton of losses. Take the number and fight the guy in 5, giving away goals ( 5 on 3) is stupid. If the play was so bad why didn't Montoya throw a shove... its because Montoya was trapping the guy underneath him.
This is actually a recipe for being competitive. They ran Monty and Hamonic showed up. The hitting (or dearth of/complete lack of) last night was embarassing, reminiscent of Gorton.

You get hit, you hit back. You will get abused less if you stand up for yourself. A decade or two of this bad hockey should make that crystal clear.

Konopka and the Pens standoff is something I do not want this team to lose sight of.

So we go 5 on 3 on the PK. So? We lose two minutes but reduce the odds of losing a player to injury with our opponents manhandling us.

Old
10-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
This is actually a recipe for being competitive. They ran Monty and Hamonic showed up. The hitting (or dearth of/complete lack of) last night was embarassing, reminiscent of Gorton.

You get hit, you hit back. You will get abused less if you stand up for yourself. A decade or two of this bad hockey should make that crystal clear.

Konopka and the Pens standoff is something I do not want this team to lose sight of.

So we go 5 on 3 on the PK. So? We lose two minutes but reduce the odds of losing a player to injury with our opponents manhandling us.
There is a time and place for it, it was not the right time. During the Pens game when did everything happen... when the game was over we were up 6-0

Old
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
crashthenet

Martin was one of the few with any jump. Comeau looked like Tambellini, never went to the net

Old
10-10-2011, 01:41 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
There is a time and place for it, it was not the right time. During the Pens game when did everything happen... when the game was over we were up 6-0
Why did the last Pens game before that happen with Woodchuck McChompers their goalie laughing and all? Because we never stood up. EVERY TEAM beat us to a pulp. Well, we fight each fight (smartly, yes, but down 2-0 and as flat as they were - so be it) or we get pounded and fall each night. I want to see everyone out there taking no BS.

And that's one key thing about Tavares I endear myself to. He's no Crosby - so no tampon machine in the lockerroom.

But to avoid NEEDING a Pens game like you mention, we can't have Pens games like I mention. We have to show up every night from the get-go.

(and thanks again, Baby Jesus, for getting Scott Gorton out of the continental United States for us!)

Old
10-10-2011, 05:42 AM
leaponover

Nielsen looked good... had a great deflection on our best scoring chance and set up Okposo on his post. Played good defense and moved the puck well. He always plays a solid game and in a game where no one shined I give him the vote.

As far as Montoya is concerned, he still is crappy at controlling rebounds and clearing the puck from the front of the net. He was average, definitely not great like some people are saying.

Old
10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
kpap57

Quote:
I don't get the votes for Hamonic. He stood up for his goalie and team but he put the team down to a 5 on 3 which cost the team a goal and maybe the game. There is a time and a place to be a tough guy and when you are already shorthanded take the guys number and get it done later.
This. While i like his willingness to stick up for his goalie and team mates, it was a poor time to fight and put our team down to a 5-3. Which in turn cost us a goal. Ill chalk that up to a young mistake.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
This. While i like his willingness to stick up for his goalie and team mates, it was a poor time to fight and put our team down to a 5-3. Which in turn cost us a goal. Ill chalk that up to a young mistake.
They had to change the tone. Florida was going hard to the netr crashing Montoya, and the refs were enabling it by not stoping it. Someone was going to have to convince them to stop. Staios tried early on by grabing Wiess but it continued. A message had to be sent about crashing the net.

Striet should not have been out there for that 5 on 3 PK. He was continuesly out of position and had trouble controlling the puck. Hamonic if he hadnt been in the box should have been the one out there. He was the Best D-man out there.

Let me get something out there that really pissed me off during the game. On the 2nd PP unit they had Okposo taking face-off with Bailey on the point. Okposo kept loosing the faceoffs. They need to switch those guys. Okposo is not a centerman, and hs had past success on the point, switch them. They tried this several times with the same results.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i really can not understand people's love for martin....he is nothing more than a 4th liner who can fight and hit

by no means am i bashing him as he fills the role pretty decently, but to me it seems every game people say he was amazing and that he should be moved up to play with JT....i dont get it

he takes a lot of penalties and seems out of control at times to me

Old
10-10-2011, 09:46 AM
NineHoleGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon Asher View Post
Matt Martin - He played with some grit.The rest of the team played scared.
Damn straight. Martin and Montoya were the two best players. The 4th line was their most consistent line. Tavares had a couple nice moves to put the puck on net. The 3rd line was their worst line, though their best shift came when Martin skated with them for 1 shift.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
BeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i really can not understand people's love for martin....he is nothing more than a 4th liner who can fight and hit

by no means am i bashing him as he fills the role pretty decently, but to me it seems every game people say he was amazing and that he should be moved up to play with JT....i dont get it

he takes a lot of penalties and seems out of control at times to me
I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but Martin reminds me of Steve Webb. Goes out and gives it his all every shift and raises the energy. In a team that often has players go unnoticed for most of a game, I always notice Martin out there.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:11 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonstack View Post
I don't know if anyone else agrees with me, but Martin reminds me of Steve Webb. Goes out and gives it his all every shift and raises the energy. In a team that often has players go unnoticed for most of a game, I always notice Martin out there.
i wasnt saying he doesnt fill the 4th line role nicely...more that i dont get why people clamor for him to be moved up to a top 9 or even top 6 role

Old
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
i wasnt saying he doesnt fill the 4th line role nicely...more that i dont get why people clamor for him to be moved up to a top 9 or even top 6 role
I didn't see anyone suggest that here. He was one of the Saturday that did what he was capable of.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
BeMoney

Quote:
I would be okay with trying him out on the third line, but I agree with you that we shouldn't be plugging him into the top 6.

He is the perfect bottom 6 grinder, we should let him what he does best and wait for Nino to play a similar role in the top 6.

Closed Thread