HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thoughts/tips for coaching the ADM

Old
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
letsgojackets

vCash: 500
Thoughts/tips for coaching the ADM

Looking for any thoughts, experiences, or tips from people who have coached with the new USA hockey ADM, especially Mites.

Our league went ADM this season and want to make it work for the kids.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
It took some time to let go the idea of "drills" making the little guys better and embracing the idea that just having fun skating in situations that will hone the skills just as well as drills.

The key is to make it fun for the kids, give them the time and space they need, each kid will have a different level and interest, some will want to just skate with the puck endlessly, some may want to shoot, some may ask for tips and others will just puddle around with a friend but as long as they're skating and moving around in space they're improving and most importantly wanting to come back to hockey each and every time out.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
sjmay*

What is ADM, it's been a while since I've seen anything put out by USA Hockey

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
beth

You can never have too many coaches/parent helpers out on the ice is my tip. Helps keep all the stations running smoothly.

We do a lot of ADM style practices out here, and the kids just love it and they're so sweaty by the end. For me, it's gotten to the point where if I'm at my women's hockey practice and I'm standing around too much I get all annoyed and wish it were more ADM style so I could get more puck touches.

sjmay~ check out the practice plans on USA Hockey's site. Those will show you what all is going on.
http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...7_05&ID=275670

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:38 AM
BLBarmada

My hockey team is using this in practices, and I was thinking like WTF ? Can't we just use hockey Canada drills, but after doing them I realized that they're complete drills, so it's going to help out the weaker players and they can work on abit of everything. They're easy drills though that's the ****** part.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
DougKnowsBest

my local rink seems to have moved to this also... I am very excited to see how this works. especially for 1st year players

to my way of thinking "drills" and working on specific techniques.. Its kinda hard to imagine how they where teaching kids to play without some of the techniques in this system ive read a little bit about

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
letsgojackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
my local rink seems to have moved to this also... I am very excited to see how this works. especially for 1st year players

to my way of thinking "drills" and working on specific techniques.. Its kinda hard to imagine how they where teaching kids to play without some of the techniques in this system ive read a little bit about
The bolded part is what I/we are also trying to figure out. We have had 3 practices and don't know who the kids on our team are. Is your local rink Newark or one of the Chillers?

Old
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
beth

Quote:

The idea is that the game itself is the best teacher. So you set up stations with small game-like scenarios that concentrate a lot of game skills in tight quarters. For mites that need to focus on basics, something like freeze tag in one station works on quick changes in direction. For Squirts, you might set up a small area 3x3 game where a pass needs to come from someone behind the net first before you can score, or some other variation. What ADM is trying to do is allow the kids room to be creative and experiment in the small games and the thinking is that they will learn more this way rather than by having a coach tell them what to do all the time. Whatever you do, you try to set things up so that they are always moving, rather than waiting their turn in line. If you do it right, the kids will be super sweaty and smiley by the end.

I was talking to a friend who coaches in the neighboring youth league, and they started implementing ADM last season. She said that the kids who came out of that were better skilled than the age group above them that didn't have ADM. It's definitely here to stay in my area.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
The idea is that the game itself is the best teacher. So you set up stations with small game-like scenarios that concentrate a lot of game skills in tight quarters. For mites that need to focus on basics, something like freeze tag in one station works on quick changes in direction. For Squirts, you might set up a small area 3x3 game where a pass needs to come from someone behind the net first before you can score, or some other variation. What ADM is trying to do is allow the kids room to be creative and experiment in the small games and the thinking is that they will learn more this way rather than by having a coach tell them what to do all the time. Whatever you do, you try to set things up so that they are always moving, rather than waiting their turn in line. If you do it right, the kids will be super sweaty and smiley by the end.

I was talking to a friend who coaches in the neighboring youth league, and they started implementing ADM last season. She said that the kids who came out of that were better skilled than the age group above them that didn't have ADM. It's definitely here to stay in my area.
Beth,

How long has this been around? Just asking because I was doing something similar 8-9 years ago with Peewee aged kids in PA, then when I moved to Canada, did the same thing,

There was a great resource website that had this, I want to say it's www.hockeycoach.com but I can't remember it offhand.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
The bolded part is what I/we are also trying to figure out. We have had 3 practices and don't know who the kids on our team are. Is your local rink Newark or one of the Chillers?

newark rink

that seems to be my observation... are you in newark sounds like you are describing it... the coachs dont seem to know any of the kids.. which im not complaining... ice time is so limited there isnt a lot of opportunuty for "get to know you time" . plus my sons on the house team.. so they dont really need to know his name till he starts to look like something

but again... this ADM seems like it makes so much sense.. i dont get what they where doing before... pick up games basically is what it sounds like.. to be perfectly honest i always end up wanting to go grab my gear and go through the stations also... err, as a helper

Old
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:

that aint no joke... the kids come off the ice soaked

Old
10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Beth,

How long has this been around? Just asking because I was doing something similar 8-9 years ago with Peewee aged kids in PA, then when I moved to Canada, did the same thing,

There was a great resource website that had this, I want to say it's www.hockeycoach.com but I can't remember it offhand.
You know, I'm not exactly sure. I just started asst coaching last season, and it seemed to be just ramping up over here. USA Hockey has just totally revamped all their coaching education stuff this year to reflect the changes more thoroughly.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
beth

Quote:
newark rink

that seems to be my observation... are you in newark sounds like you are describing it... the coachs dont seem to know any of the kids.. which im not complaining... ice time is so limited there isnt a lot of opportunuty for "get to know you time" . plus my sons on the house team.. so they dont really need to know his name till he starts to look like something

but again... this ADM seems like it makes so much sense.. i dont get what they where doing before... pick up games basically is what it sounds like.. to be perfectly honest i always end up wanting to go grab my gear and go through the stations also... err, as a helper
The names are hard. I'm horrible with names as it is, then you have all these kids (up to 40!), and they look completely different in and out of their gear. I like to stick labels with their names on their helmets to help me. Then when they come to my station I do a quick "who do we have here?" and name them off. I try to make it as personal as I can under the circumstances.

You should sign on as a helper if you can! I'm sure they could use you!

Old
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
You know, I'm not exactly sure. I just started asst coaching last season, and it seemed to be just ramping up over here. USA Hockey has just totally revamped all their coaching education stuff this year to reflect the changes more thoroughly.
That makes sense, it's been years since I've been in the USA Hockey stream,

Run a search for Tom Molloy, he is the one that founded the website I was pulling a bunch of stuff from way back when, and it's all based on the letting the game teach the game, and the 3-3 compete drills etc.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
johnny1976

We just had our meeting with our USA rep last Thursday and he went over all the important aspects of the ADM. He then went out on the ice with us and the kids to over see us to make sure we were making the most of it. It was great to see the kids skating and having fun.

My suggestions would be group the kids together by ability, but do not let the parents know that you are doing this. If you do be prepared to have a bunch of parents comming up to you and asking why jr isn't skating with the better kids.

Also having a lot of coaches out is good, however make sure they are paying attention to the kids and teaching them the correct things out there. We had 20 or more out there and I had to leave my drill station to go and teach kids at other drill stations because the coach wasn't showing them what they had to do (he was telling, but not showing).

The ADM is looking better and better to me and I grew up doing full ice drills and standing in line for long periods of time.

Last edited by johnny1976: 10-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.
johnny1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
letsgojackets

Quote:
newark rink

am coaching with CCYHA at Chiller Dublin. However, I do have a friend that has a kid skating with Newark this season.

We are trying to do a few things to get the kids to know one another, like meeting early for pratice. We are also going to get a team practice every couple of weeks.

Old
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Canadiens1958

Hockey Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
am coaching with CCYHA at Chiller Dublin. However, I do have a friend that has a kid skating with Newark this season.

We are trying to do a few things to get the kids to know one another, like meeting early for pratice. We are also going to get a team practice every couple of weeks.
During the last twenty years or so, at the entry levels up to Atom you can get the youngsters to interact at tournaments and the local rinks by selling inexpensive hockey cards or stickers, under $2.00 a pack.

The youngsters natural curiosity takes over and they start trading, talking etc.

Run by the association or team it also becomes a nice fundraiser over the course of a season.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 10-10-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: addition
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
During the last twenty years or so, at the entry levels up to Atom you can get the youngsters to interact at tournaments and the local rinks by selling inexpensive hockey cards or stickers, under $2.00 a pack. The youngsters natural curiosity takes over and they start trading, talking etc.
Back in my day, we'd have "Movie Nights" at one of
the players parents or coaches homes once a month.
Up to the minute. Tarzan starring Johnny Weissmuller.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote