HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Emerson Etem (2010, 29th overall, Anaheim)

Old
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Richards to Gaborik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
What are his stats going to look like in the NHL? 40-10?
He seems like a ver rare kind of player.
Peter Bondra type stats?

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Bobby Blowhard

I too was at the game last night against the Royals and Etem was absolutely dominant. He was being double shifted nearly all game long. What really struck me is that he is the type of player that you SENSE is going to change the game moments before it happens, you can see him smelling blood.

My concern however is that he does not appear to possess any key "pure goal scorer" attributes. No standout shot, no standout stickhandling and no stand out hockey sense, nor does he seem to be making those arond him better. Just a nose for the net that is clearly exposing his less physically developed jr opposition but will not guarantee goal scoring success against stronger and faster players at the NHL level.

A prototypical 2nd line winger at this point

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post
I too was at the game last night against the Royals and Etem was absolutely dominant. He was being double shifted nearly all game long. What really struck me is that he is the type of player that you SENSE is going to change the game moments before it happens, you can see him smelling blood.

My concern however is that he does not appear to possess any key "pure goal scorer" attributes. No standout shot, no standout stickhandling and no stand out hockey sense, nor does he seem to be making those arond him better. Just a nose for the net that is clearly exposing his less physically developed jr opposition but will not guarantee goal scoring success against stronger and faster players at the NHL level.

Hmm from what I've seen of him, in camp and the few games I get to see from the dub, his shot is definitely a standout attribute.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:37 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Blowhard View Post

My how wrong you are.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I got to see him kick the Oil Kings ass the other night, where he had a hat trick.

He's going to be nuts this year.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:21 AM
gojays

I saw Etem last night. He is like a man amongst boys. He is going to be a great player. Ignore the comparisons with mason raymond. He's more like iginla. Fast, strong and determined. He's going to be great.

gojays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

11-1-12 after 6 games

WOOT AN ASSIST haha

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:04 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
11-1-12 after 6 games

WOOT AN ASSIST haha
What? No goal in game 6?!

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 04:02 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
He's on pace for 132 goals this year. How did we get Fowler at 12 and Etem at 29? As a Ducks fan, I'll never stop asking that.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
11-1-12 after 6 games

WOOT AN ASSIST haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
What? No goal in game 6?!
I believe one goal of him in game 5 was changed to an assist. So he had 3 goals that game, not 4.

Intruiging prospect.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I believe one goal of him in game 5 was changed to an assist. So he had 3 goals that game, not 4.

Intruiging prospect.
hmmm that would explain it.

Old
10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
hmmm that would explain it.
That is true, I remember Shinkaruk scoring on that play.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
How he was sent back to the dub I don't know, the Ducks don't like good players anymore, or they don't like his attitude, or he is defensively not there yet, he's much too good for it now, it seems being sent back has made him extra motivated perhaps.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
How he was sent back to the dub I don't know, the Ducks don't like good players anymore, or they don't like his attitude, or he is defensively not there yet, he's much too good for it now, it seems being sent back has made him extra motivated perhaps.
We had no openings in the top 6 and he didn't earn a spot on the 3rd line over DSP/McMillan/Gordon. If we didn't return our whole top 6 from last year he would have likely made the team. Can't wait to see the Etem-Holland-Palmieri line next year in preseason.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:27 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
he wasn't good enough for our top-6.. that is it.. he isn't really a bottom 6 player.. and why limit his minutes like that? ya right now it looks as if hes too good for the WHL but perry ripped up his last year in juniors too and i'd think we'd agree when we say he's turned out quite well.

an extra year in junior won't hurt but rushing him or limiting his minutes could

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
he wasn't good enough for our top-6.. that is it.. he isn't really a bottom 6 player.. and why limit his minutes like that? ya right now it looks as if hes too good for the WHL but perry ripped up his last year in juniors too and i'd think we'd agree when we say he's turned out quite well.

an extra year in junior won't hurt but rushing him or limiting his minutes could
Well he's certainly better than the 3rd line you have now, alot of rookies start out on the 3rd line, they get decent minutes and learn on the job, I also think he would contribute more to the offense than Blake will this season.

Being a man amongst boys and dominating when he his past that level is maybe not so good for his development, he needs a new challenge.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Well he's certainly better than the 3rd line you have now, alot of rookies start out on the 3rd line, they get decent minutes and learn on the job, I also think he would contribute more to the offense than Blake will this season.

Being a man amongst boys and dominating when he his past that level is maybe not so good for his development, he needs a new challenge.
who is on the ducks' 3rd line? Im just currious if you even know their names, because the 3rd line is the best it has been since the cup year.

He is one of our ONLY 3 top 6 potentiel prospects and he will not be rushed for no reason to play 10 minutes a game with no PK time (He may have been on second PP but he is a great PKer).

He stayed in the Dub to do exactly what he is doing: dominate on the offensive side, Get better defensively, be double shifted and get his endurance up, and come to camp hungry next season because next season we NEED him to be a go-to-guy in the bigs

Old
10-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Scouter

Quote:
who is on the ducks' 3rd line? Im just currious if you even know their names, because the 3rd line is the best it has been since the cup year.

He is one of our ONLY 3 top 6 potentiel prospects and he will not be rushed for no reason to play 10 minutes a game with no PK time (He may have been on second PP but he is a great PKer).

He stayed in the Dub to do exactly what he is doing: dominate on the offensive side, Get better defensively, be double shifted and get his endurance up, and come to camp hungry next season because next season we NEED him to be a go-to-guy in the bigs
Why that would be, Gordon, Cogliano and Smith-Pelly of course, not exactly world beaters, it would seem to me that you did not know that, not I.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Why that would be, Gordon, Cogliano and Smith-Pelly of course, not exactly world beaters, it would seem to me that you did not know that, not I.
The decision lies with Carlyle, and he viewed Smith-Pelly's physical game to be more important to a second line than Etem's goal scoring.

And my view after camp was that he CAN play in the NHL now and do well enough, but his game isn't mature enough. He still needs to build some strength.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Etem isn't a world beater right now either. The Ducks want Etem to develop more, and he'll likely get a shot at a top six role next season. This season, though? The Ducks believe their team is better with the likes of Cogliano, DSP, Gordon, and McMillan... and considering they out-played Etem in training camp, it's not difficult to understand why.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
He's a legit sniper. Not all players are blessed with instincts and a nose for the net like hs is. Combine those traits with his elite speed and you have a great goal scoring prospect. Should slot in nicely as a support scorer for the Ducks who desperately need secondary scoring.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
He's a legit sniper. Not all players are blessed with instincts and a nose for the net like hs is. Combine those traits with his elite speed and you have a great goal scoring prospect. Should slot in nicely as a support scorer for the Ducks who desperately need secondary scoring.
Next year though...he's in the WHL right now and can't be recalled until the Tigers' season is over.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Scored again today...

12 goals and 1 assist.

Call him Cliff Lee?

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

My problem with him? He is clearly selfish as his lack of assist totals...JK EE score as many goals as you see fit! NEVER PASS!!!!

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:37 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
It's a bit early to say that. We had a fairly decent third line until the end of the 08-09 season, Cogliano etc have to do a lot more than score one goal in two games to be considered the best third line since Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer.

The reason Etem isn't here is not because he's not better than Gordon and DSP, it's because it's better for his development to get 20+ minutes a night in the WHL than to play 9-12 minutes in the NHL.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote