HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole So Far

Old
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
So far, Cole doesn't finish his checks like he did last year... He seems soft..

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
So far, Cole doesn't finish his checks like he did last year... He seems soft..
I saw him play in Ottawa in the pre-season. In the second half of the game, he was very effective standing in the crease. We need that kind of player as we have our share of smaller players always looking for open ice, staying clear of traffic. Right now, after two games, I would say that it is more a case of Montreal adapting their game to better fit the abilities of Cole. Cole should be scoring a lot of goals in the crease, picking up rebounds. With Cammy out, Cole should be back in the top 6, so we will see if he can take advantage of that.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Serious HABit

is this thread serious?

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Kriss E

Not sure what people expected from Cole. He had 11pts in his first 24GP last year and it continued for the rest of 2010 ending in December with 16pts in 36GP.
The man will not rack up the points, won't create things or punish people every shift.
He could hit more, but it's only two games. He is still learning the system and so far has been switching linemates every single game.

Maybe that will make our fans appreciate AK a little more, and stop calling him a soft, heartless, inconsistent and selfish player.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Pouliot or Cole, hmmm. That's basically what it comes down to. In terms of a spot in line up anyway.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Well I meant he should be doing the same thing Darche is, not playing on the boards where his passing isn't up to snuff. Also, if we're paying him 4.5/year, he should be getting powerplay time, whether he replaces Darche or not.
I think fans should stop caring how much money a player is making, its so pointless.

When the team hits the ice it doesn't even matter, you play each player to their strengths and weaknesses to try and get the best out of them.

Who cares whether Weber is making base salary, or Gomez is making 7 million, they both need to be used as tools in your arsenal.

Because Cole is making 4.5 he automatically has to get ample PP time? No he doesn't. We paid him UFA for his services, and it is up to JM to figure out which services that player excels at, and how they can help the team.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Prediction:

Road = 41 Gp , 5 Goals, 6 Assists

Home = 41 Gp, 22 Goals, 20 Assists

Total = 27 Goals, 26 Assists

Bookmark This
Agreed, this post pretty much summarizes the point I was gonna make. I honestly believe that Cole will be fueled by the Bell Centre crowd and be a much more productive player at home than on the road. I've had that feeling ever since the Habs signed him.

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
NLHabsFan

Its been two games and he's playing third line still trying to get used to his teammates and system. Let's wait a little longer before deciding if he's panning out.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
NHLcrazy

who?

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:32 PM
JackZap

hes probably not used to such an offensive system

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Cole will be just fine, especially when he stops playing 3rd/4th line minutes.

I'm wondering if he's struggling through a small injury or something considering he wasn't paid top dollar to come here to play so little.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:45 PM
kassian

It's only two games, but he needs to start hitting.

The same guy who had 225 hits last season has 1 hit so far.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:01 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Cole will be just fine, especially IF he stops playing 3rd/4th line minutes.

I'm wondering if he's struggling through a small injury or something considering he wasn't paid top dollar to come here to play so little.
I"m certain he didn't sign here expecting 3rd line minutes and zero PP time of he would have took less to stay in Carolina.
This is the exact same thing that happened with Samsonov. I'd be surprised if he was still here by december if JM keeps using him like this.

I don't think it's related to an injury even if that is a possibility, It seems simply like a case where the GM signed a player for a role but the coach has him pegged in a different role.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
guest1467

I keep hearing the term "third line minutes" get thrown around. He hasn't gotten third line minutes, just look at the numbers.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
haburger

ya cole is a bust.he should have at least one goal by now.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I'll be patient and will give him a chance but i've not been impressed at all in his first 2 games.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I"m certain he didn't sign here expecting 3rd line minutes and zero PP time of he would have took less to stay in Carolina.
This is the exact same thing that happened with Samsonov. I'd be surprised if he was still here by december if JM keeps using him like this.

I don't think it's related to an injury even if that is a possibility, It seems simply like a case where the GM signed a player for a role but the coach has him pegged in a different role.
He hasn't been getting third line minutes on ES and he was on the second power play unit last year on a team with much less powerplay depth than Montreal. Kostitsyn, Pacioretty and maybe even Darche have a better history on the powerplay than Cole, that just isn't his strength.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:29 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I agree.
Weber played well for us last year and showed he could hang in the NHL. Don't understand why people never gave him much of a chance. The kid will become solid for us.
Also didn't understand why Martin was using PK-Diaz-Plek-Spacek before him on the PP point. IMO, he is our best PP point man after Markov. I'm glad he scored, that should definitely buy him more PP ice time.
I agree with this. I believe that the only way Weber can get out of his "good boy" "jeune wbre" that can make it sometimes would be ... to change team !!

He would be likely to embrace another role than what has been attributed to him.

in fact i read an article where he was very disapointed to not be in the lineup as a defender. He got in contact with Streit who would advice him on how to behave ... as a advice ... keep working ... keep head up ... ultimately with the Habs or in anther place it will work !
Sad if he would have to quit the Habs to get the recognition. Doesn't it remind Streit ??
(he is even playing forward now ... many puzzling similitudes !!)

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Young Gun

If You Guys Are All Done With The Flaming, Let Me Says What I Meant When I Started The Thead. First Of All, I Like Cole Has A Player And What He Brings
To The Habs. Secondly, I Made A Point Of Cole Not Keeping His Head Up When
Handlng The Puck Sometimes. Look At Some Tape Of The First Or Second
Exibition Games, The Guy Got Rocked Pretty Hard With A Clean Check,we
Don't Need Anymore Injuries Of Key Players.
I Stand By The Ak Comments. All The Skill And Decent Size To Be A Much Better
Hockey Player, Not Willing To Take In On Most Nights

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
It's only been two games. He's been bad these two games, but it's only two games. Let's wait a little longer than two games to start extrapolating. He should be playing Darche's spot on the PP, stand in front of the net.

Two games.
Agree wholeheartedly. I would rather Cole there than DD. Love the fire and passion of DD but he is too small to be at the net during the PP.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
neofury*

Okay some people are almost making it sound like I bashed the living **** out of Weber. I've always liked Weber but his performance in the preseason left much to be desired, that's all I basically said about the kid aside from good things in them past.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Okay some people are almost making it sound like I bashed the living **** out of Weber. I've always liked Weber but his performance in the preseason left much to be desired, that's all I basically said about the kid aside from good things in them past.
Don't try and defend yourself, it's too late

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostitsyn View Post
Agreed, this post pretty much summarizes the point I was gonna make. I honestly believe that Cole will be fueled by the Bell Centre crowd and be a much more productive player at home than on the road. I've had that feeling ever since the Habs signed him.
Erik Cole over the course of his career has produced as much at home than on the road. Matter of fact, I believe he might even have a few more points on the road.
This would be the first time in his career that his home stats destroy his road ones.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Wish we just offered Jagr six million for a season. Cole will improve obviously, but he doesn't have Eric Staal anymore and he'lll be overpaid for 4 years.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Erik Cole over the course of his career has produced as much at home than on the road. Matter of fact, I believe he might even have a few more points on the road.
This would be the first time in his career that his home stats destroy his road ones.
What are his stats at the Bell?

I think he traditionally peforms well at the Bell... Don't have the stats to back that up but some players simply feel more comfortable and play better in certain arenas...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote