HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Sean Avery

Old
10-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidQueen View Post
Back when Avery was playing for the Kings, one game when they played the Red Wings, Avery decided to s**t talk Yzerman. He's leaning over the boards saying things like "get off the ice you one legged POS, you're too old, you haven't done anything in years, you were a crappy captain..."

So Shannahan didn't like this very much and is standing near the Kings bench. He says, "Sean stop calling me. Just stop calling me. Lose my number. I'm tired of hearing you b***h and moan about how your coach sucks, how your linemates can't do s**t, and how you hate your team and how you think they'll never make the playoffs. Just delete my number and stop calling."

Needless to say Avery had zero response, as he caught the evil eye from his coach and teammates.

That was related to me some years ago, and every time I hear somebody seriously talking about bringing that little twatwaffle on our team, I feel compelled to bring it out to show WHY that is a bad idea.
And for every horror story about Avery out there, there's another where his ability to get under an opposing team's skin has lead the Rangers to victory.

Back in 06-07, he was the main reason the Rangers swept the Thrashers. Getting in the head of Kovalchuk and Hossa (especially Hossa) caused a complete shutdown from both those offensive threats, and Avery showed his actual hockey skills in that series as well.

Then, of course, there was the whole Avery rule incident. Screening Brodeur like that had a definite impact on the series. First, the particular powerplay they were on was successful, scored by Avery himself. And there's nothing more annoying than to have that guy score on you. Second, it no doubt got under the skin of Brodeur and a good portion of the Devils team, if their reaction to the event was any indication. And finally, it took away the spotlight and the pressure from the rest of the Rangers team, allowing them to just go out there and do their job.

Sean Avery is a giant ******* on the ice, but he's damn effective in that role. It's just not a role that can be sustained for very long on any given team.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
Also to note on Avery, he had a monster year last year potting 3 goals in 76 games. That is certainly not to be overlooked. Not Blair Betts numbers, but still impressive.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
StormCast

Not sure what Avery brings other than headaches and distractions. Yes, he can be an effective agitator but so can LaRose without all the extra baggage. I just don't see Avery adding anything positive.

BTW, the Avery-Shanahan story isn't totally accurate. Avery was bagging on Shanny not Yzerman but Shanny's reply was both correct and classic.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
he cleared, let me LOL real quick.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:03 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Not sure what Avery brings other than headaches and distractions. Yes, he can be an effective agitator but so can LaRose without all the extra baggage. I just don't see Avery adding anything positive.

BTW, the Avery-Shanahan story isn't totally accurate. Avery was bagging on Shanny not Yzerman but Shanny's reply was both correct and classic.
Avery is a fast skater. He's defensively sound and is a pretty slick passer as well. He's best when he is running his mouth and getting the other team off their game. He just needs to have a lightning rod to keep him grounded (hopefully a linemate he can go to) and make sure he's not going over the line where the distraction spills onto his own bench. He's learned a lot of lessons here in NY but last to seasons (post the Sean Avery Rule), coach Tortorella has Sean's leash reeled all the way in and there is no way Avery can be effective like that. I think running his mouth gives him the swagger he needs to play well. Otherwise his game has been inconsistent and spotty but not bad. His reputation with refs frequently has him getting the short end of the stick on call which always sucks for the team. If paired with the right coach and linemates, Avery is capable of 40 points in a season. He's the type of guy you hate to play against but (as long as he isn't distracting his own team) a guy you love to have on your side. Under Tom Renney, Avery was really at his best and worse. Despite his limited play and reduced role, the man still managed 24 points. A lot of teams could use that boost. It's just they don't want to take the risk. You'll need a coach who can be somewhere between Renney and Torts to get the most out of him.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:35 PM
totalkev

The biggest negative to Sean Avery is that he puts his team in the unenviable position of having to defend him, both on the ice and off. As a teammate of Avery, after he does something stupid, you're going to find yourself being forced to back him up, even though you'd really rather not. He makes teammates do things they don't want to do. He makes coaches say things they'd rather not say. And he makes organizations deal with issues they don't want to deal with. It's really not worth it for what he does on the ice, whether it's quantifiable or not. He's not a bad player, but it's like having Matt Cooke with a big mouth and less brains. Not worth it.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Joe McGrath

If he reports to the CT Whale he'll be practicing at the place where I play my men's league games about 5 minutes from my home. Him and Redden will make excellent guys to mock down there this year.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
If he reports to the CT Whale he'll be practicing at the place where I play my men's league games about 5 minutes from my home. Him and Redden will make excellent guys to mock down there this year.
Make sure to ask Avery how it felt to get the crap beaten out of him by Marek Malik. He'll LOVE that.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
MAYO

Actually guys, before making comments in a thread you may want to get your facts right. 1- He was never a problem in the room, in fact Lundqvist, Gaborik and Boyle have already gone on record saying they miss having him around. 2- He had a role to play and he played it very well, all the while still tallying 24 points while his ice time was next to nil. 3- He would have only cost you guys $1 mill! and 4- I'm not sure a place like Carolina could handle a character like Aves!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

All of those reasons are why he wasn't waived then, yes?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote