HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No HD games on Center Ice through Comcast?

Old
10-10-2011, 02:45 PM
CHestah in Maine

vCash: 500
No HD games on Center Ice through Comcast?

Hi all,

Canadiens' fan here who lives in Nashville. Curious to see if anyone else in the Nashville area with Comcast is getting shut out of HD games on the Center Ice package. These games used to be available on a specially designated HD channel (348); however, this year that channel appears to be off and none of the games on the schedule page show "HD" any longer.

I called Comcast which was useless; they knew next to nothing about the package itself much less why games were not available in HD. Any of you Preds' fans running into the same thing?

CHestah in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

There is still a channel designated for NHL-HD (besides the one dedicated to FS-TN games), but I'm not sure if anything has played on it. It was 1750 I believe. It skips from that number to (I think) 1772, so I'm wondering if those will be designated HD stations in the future. But for now it's just one station. It is also (apparently--again, nothing was actually on it) simulcast somewhere else on the channel lineup but I can't remember where it was.

My guess is they turned on the code for Center Ice but neglected to turn the code on for the HD station since it wasn't numerically with the other ones.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
CHestah in Maine

Thanks for the response. You're correct, 348 will now be 1750 when they officially go to 4 digits for HD channels on 10/24, but since opening night not a game has been shown on 348/1750 - it just shows "subscription service"....even though we're in a free preview.

I just don't want to plunk down $172 non-refundable for a package that they haven't turned on HD for, and I've got nowhere when I have called.

Maybe a couple of others on the board who are subscribers will see this and make a call to Comcast, too.

Lastly - I go to about 25 Preds' games a year; love the atmosphere and the team. Smith is a keeper!

CHestah in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Thanks, we like him.

I have to say that I'm getting spoiled by HD for the Preds games and on Versus. I got a new tv near the end of last season and the difference is stunning--I'd had a 12 inch color set but this is 37 inch. Wow, my eyes are thanking me every game. So yeah, if you're getting Center Ice and it is available in HD, I'd want to see it that way.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
braindead

I gave up on them for this year-- there is ALWAYS some kind of problem where they manage to under perform against my already low expectations. They never show enough HD and the regular def are horrible quality. They randomly black out Pred away games. Customer service doesn't know ANYTHING about this package. They have cut me off during the year, cut me off when baseball starts and generally been a pain.

With more games on FSS/FST, I voted with my feet.

As an alternative, I've thought about getting the NHL Game Center, which can be streamed through the NHL Roku channel. I have a Roku box on one TV but that ties me to one spot. Also, someone told me the HD is somewhere below true HD (Roku advertises it as "HD quality where available" whatever that means. It's $160, which includes computer access and full length replays plus classic games (sorry if I sound like a commercial). Box is extra.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Out here I have no choice but to try and get Center Ice because going to a bar is way too expensive over the course of the season, but HD is very rare it seems. When I had it in Nashville on Comcast anyway. I don't know about here, but the free preview this season has no HD either.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
jcupp

The only trouble I had with the HD channel is it didn't show the programming for the channel. I flipped to that channel anyway and I believe it was the Tampa Carolina game on friday. I could be wrong because I flip the channel a lot and I've slept since then, but I know there was a game on that HD channel.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:33 PM
InRinneWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I gave up on them for this year-- there is ALWAYS some kind of problem where they manage to under perform against my already low expectations. They never show enough HD and the regular def are horrible quality. They randomly black out Pred away games. Customer service doesn't know ANYTHING about this package. They have cut me off during the year, cut me off when baseball starts and generally been a pain.
I gave up on Comcast 3 years ago and tried Dish Network but they had their faults too. I've considered the GameCenter Live, but I keep seeing complaints about local blackouts.

For now my main viewing source is http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/29-NHL-Icehockey.
While it's not perfect, it's better than radio-only.

InRinneWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRinneWeTrust View Post
I gave up on Comcast 3 years ago and tried Dish Network but they had their faults too. I've considered the GameCenter Live, but I keep seeing complaints about local blackouts.

For now my main viewing source is http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/29-NHL-Icehockey.
While it's not perfect, it's better than radio-only.
A friend here in Taiwan has GameCenter Live and it works flawlessly, then again we are in Taiwan so no concerns about local blackouts.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote