HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Edmonton Journalist Links Oilers to Del Zotto

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 12:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Uhh, Hall is a LW

Not exactly helping your credibility here
What credibility?

Anyway, I'd prefer to hold onto Del Zotto. If he were the key piece in a deal for MPS though, I'd be all over it.

It's just pain.
Old
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
MDZ was made a scape goat last year as Torts needed to save his job. MDZ's development is on schedule. There is no smarter or more gifted player in the pipeline. We do not need Hall. We have 1C for years.
MDZ was never a scapegoat, it just took Torts a year and a half to figure out that MDZ's bad defensive play was hurting the team. MDZ's development is non existent. He showed a great offensive game from day one, it's his defensive play that needs improvement. Unfortunately, he still makes all the same stupid mistakes. Very rarely does a game go by where MDZ doesn't make a horribly inexcusable error. He's 21 now and he needs to grow the **** up.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Sure! MDZ, Kreider and 2012's 1st rounder for Hall. You wanna give that up, because that's what it's gonna take?
Done! I'll even add another 1st rounder so it's not complete ****

Old
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Yeah, not interested if Edmonton doesn't offer one of their top LWers in Hall or Paajarvi. Which is highly unlikely.

I do however have interest in Tyler Pitlick. I watched him play some games a few years back and he's lightning fast, has a good wrist shot and he's American. If he is having a good year in the AHL, I may consider moving MDZ for him. I think he also plays all 3 forward positions.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Not really interested in moving him for anything realistic from the Oilers. He's looked very good so far, and is the only legitimate puck mover in the system; unless Sather can get Paajarvi for MDZ, straight up, I'm not really interested, personally.
I wouldn't put the ability to do that trade past Slats, would you?

Old
10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yeah, not interested if Edmonton doesn't offer one of their top LWers in Hall or Paajarvi. Which is highly unlikely.

I do however have interest in Tyler Pitlick. I watched him play some games a few years back and he's lightning fast, has a good wrist shot and he's American. If he is having a good year in the AHL, I may consider moving MDZ for him. I think he also plays all 3 forward positions.
Wonder if this is his dad..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KJ5DXyvdCw

Old
10-10-2011, 02:38 PM
SML

If for some strange reason the Oilers are looking to move Hall, you give them what they want especially if MDZ is the piece. I like him, but heMs not Doughty. There will be another offense first, defense eventually Dman coming down the pike eventually. Certainly before we ever find ourselves in a position to draft true 1st overall talent like Hall. Dmen are valuable, no doubt, but getting a potential superstar forward before he's actually had his career year would be a chance you can't afford to miss. Rewind a few years. If this were Stamkos we were talking about in a similar situation, think of how dumb you would have felt had you been the one to hang up the phone.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
MDZ was never a scapegoat, it just took Torts a year and a half to figure out that MDZ's bad defensive play was hurting the team. .
I can't stand Torts, but calling him unable to figure out something for as long as year and a half is not fair. Inability to score consistently was hurting the team. It took Torts a year and a half to give up and admit to himself his innability to coach offense, PP or anything else. It was easier to send the kid down than to fix the offense.
Quote:
MDZ's development is non existent. He showed a great offensive game from day one, it's his defensive play that needs improvement. Unfortunately, he still makes all the same stupid mistakes.
That IS a development. Otherwise it would be over.
Quote:
Very rarely does a game go by where MDZ doesn't make a horribly inexcusable error.
Like when? You live in the last season still, I guess.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:32 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
There will be another offense first, defense eventually Dman coming down the pike eventually.
I like you optimism. Too bad it is unfounded
Quote:
If this were Stamkos we were talking about in a similar situation, think of how dumb you would have felt had you been the one to hang up the phone.
We know what MDZ could be. We know what Alex Daigle (sp.) can be too.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
I can't stand Torts, but calling him unable to figure out something for as long as year and a half is not fair. Inability to score consistently was hurting the team. It took Torts a year and a half to give up and admit to himself his innability to coach offense, PP or anything else. It was easier to send the kid down than to fix the offense.

That IS a development. Otherwise it would be over.

Like when? You live in the last season still, I guess.
Like, last game, he made a play that could have easily cost us the game in the final minutes.

MDZ was something like -20 his rookie season. Our next worst player was Girardi at minus 2 IIRC. I don't think +/- is a be all end all stat but when a player is performing that far below the next worse player it's time to consider that maybe he isn't ready. He stunk again the next season and got sent down.

I want MDZ to succeed to but lets be realistic- he hasn't cut down on his mistakes, at all.

You say I'm living in the past, I say, you're still living off of his 'potential' which is purely based on faith.

Old
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
SML

Quote:
I like you optimism. Too bad it is unfounded
We know what MDZ could be. We know what Alex Daigle (sp.) can be too.
You make me a list of #1 overalls that fell short like Daigle, and I'll make you a list of ones that didn't, and we'll see who's list is longer. Also, there will certainly be an offensive dman that can get your PP working long before a potential franchise forward who's not old enough to buy a beer yet becomes available. It would be one thing if MDZ were already established, but he barely made the team. Let's not pretend he's Paul Coffey 1988.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
chosen

For MDZ, you would be lucky to get back Gagner.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
For MDZ, you would be lucky to get back Gagner.
Lol, no.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:49 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Lol, no.
The Rangers couldn't come up with 2 players that Edmonton would take in exchange for Hall.

Old
10-10-2011, 04:51 PM
beastly115

I can't imagine MDZ having much value. In his 2 yrs in the league he's shown that 1. He's a poor defensive player and 2. His offensive abilities are predictable and inconsistent and 3. He is prone to making dumb mistakes over and over and over (think of all the times he's been pick pocketed circling our own net, or the other day when he skated the puck back into our own zone).

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Slats pull off something like MDZ + Wolski/Christensen for MPS.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Lol, no.
What has Del Zotto done to make himself more valuable than Gagner?

Old
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Sure! MDZ, Kreider and 2012's 1st rounder for Hall. You wanna give that up, because that's what it's gonna take?
I'd think a bit more actually, 'cause I'd do that. Del Zotto is still a big question-mark, Kreider has no pro experience (not even junior pro, for that matter) and our 1st will be in the 15-20 range.

So I'd imagine that, realistically, someone more tangible than Kreider would be in the equation, like Callahan or Dubinsky, at which point I'd say no.

Old
10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The Rangers couldn't come up with 2 players that Edmonton would take in exchange for Hall.
Never claimed otherwise, although I doubt they'd reject Hank+Staal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What has Del Zotto done to make himself more valuable than Gagner?

Ask many Oiler fans and they will tell you, he's not gonna be much more than he is now. A 40 point, 3rd line center. MDZ has show that he has the potential to put up that many as a D-man. I sincerely doubt that an organization that needs young d-men such as the Oilers wouldn't trade a 3rd line center for him.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I imagine every GM inquires about Del Zotto. He's exactly the player you try to snipe. He may not make this team, while possessing a skill every team needs.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dee View Post
Totally agree. But it is interesting. Lots of Rangers fans would be looking to ship Del Zotto out in a second especially if they could get a young Edmonton forward in return. Eberle?
Would ship DZ off for Ebs in a heart beat. However that is unrealistic.

10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Well, the Oilers and 'young forward' part has me excited, but lets remember that Del Zotto is the one and only puck moving defenseman left in our system.

We ditched Sanguinetti (smart), passed over Fowler (idiotic), and left 3rd Pairing Pashnin in Russia (Probably best for both parties)
Not so idiotic. See some of the insightful posts by Coldshot. Fowler is fabulous offensively, but soft defensively.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:40 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I can't imagine MDZ having much value. In his 2 yrs in the league he's shown that 1. He's a poor defensive player and 2. His offensive abilities are predictable and inconsistent and 3. He is prone to making dumb mistakes over and over and over (think of all the times he's been pick pocketed circling our own net, or the other day when he skated the puck back into our own zone).

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Slats pull off something like MDZ + Wolski/Christensen for MPS.
To some extent I agree, but I think he's handcuffed in this system w/Torts. I get the feeling if he improves under another system, without being so conscientious about avoiding mistakes, he'll make less and his creative aptitude for breakout passes will be successful. Trick is to find a trading partner that has something we want for such a deal...

Old
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
If for some strange reason the Oilers are looking to move Hall, you give them what they want especially if MDZ is the piece. I like him, but heMs not Doughty. There will be another offense first, defense eventually Dman coming down the pike eventually. Certainly before we ever find ourselves in a position to draft true 1st overall talent like Hall. Dmen are valuable, no doubt, but getting a potential superstar forward before he's actually had his career year would be a chance you can't afford to miss. Rewind a few years. If this were Stamkos we were talking about in a similar situation, think of how dumb you would have felt had you been the one to hang up the phone.
IF Hall were being moved it would take something serious.
I'd be willing to overpay in serious if the usual
Richards-Gaborik / Dubi-AA-Cally / Staal / Kreider / Erixon were off the table.

Could
Stepan, Girardi, Sauer McDonagh, Boyle, MDZ and Biron
get us
Hall AND Paajarvi and Kabibulin?

Maybe we throw in our 1st and 3rd and they throw in their 2nd and Tyler Pitlick...

Old
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

Good insight.
I support that at the right price.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:00 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
IF Hall were being moved it would take something serious.
I'd be willing to overpay in serious if the usual
Richards-Gaborik / Dubi-AA-Cally / Staal / Kreider / Erixon were off the table.

Could
Stepan, Girardi, Sauer McDonagh, Boyle, MDZ and Biron
get us
Hall AND Paajarvi and Kabibulin?

Maybe we throw in our 1st and 3rd and they throw in their 2nd and Tyler Pitlick...
I don't think that's close. Taylor Hall is an incredible talent. None of those guys that we send back are anywhere near that level.

You also have to factor in marketability. How many Taylor Hall jerseys are they selling in Edmonton? He's set to become the face of that franchise. You don't get rid of a player like that for depth.

Realistically, we'd probably have to get rid of MDZ+ just for Paajarvi.

Closed Thread