HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #2: at Chicago, 10/08 (7:30 PM, TXA21, 1310 AM)

Old
10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
You know there's like zero chance of splitting up Ribs and Ryder, right?
I've seen Gully coach for Two seasons. I've seen crazier ****.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

vCash: 500
Souray and fiddler looked amazing, definitely great pick ups. I was really pulling for vincour, but he just doesnt seem to have it all there yet

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I'd like to move Souray to the top PP unit, but they seem to really like Robidas on that 1st unit, he's been one of the only D men who's doing the Gully-strat of sneaking in down the the slot. Larsen was doing it too and he scored a lot of his PP goals last season in Cedar Park that way. I'd rather see Goose double shift on the 2nd unit and have Souray sit in the mid slot than Daley though, who has no shot to speak of.
I think the league would ban the Stars having Souray sit in the slot as unsafe for the people between him and the net.

If I was Gulutzan I'd have Souray on the first unit and tell him to put the first one of the game roughly neck height to get those defenceman thinking

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Gulu's quotes after tonight:

Quote:
"One of the most disappointing things is when you get outworked and I felt we were outworked a little bit. We started good, they got that power play goal and after that I thought we should have had a little more dig in. We didn't get it until the third and by that time it's too late against a real good team." - Stars coach Glen Gulutzan

"There are five things that are in my mind. I can tell you what happened on four of the goals. Those things we can clean up. It's four distinct things we can clean up. The fifth thing is we've got to put more pucks on net. We're trying to be too fancy, especially with our third and fourth lines. There's not many 50 goal guys there, so we've got to generate offense by putting pucks on net." - Stars coach Glen Gulutzan.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:03 PM
crawz87

Lol just curious . you guys think Gully regrets putting Raycroft in tonight?

crawz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Al Core

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawz87 View Post
Nope. Gave them a chance to win a game they had no business being in. The second goal was the only one completely on Raycroft. It was quite the doozy, but it's still only one goal. He didn't take terrible penalties. Or only get four shots in thirty minutes.

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Probably not. It's only game 2 and a loss just helps us figure out what we did wrong and how to correct it

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
No. The team didn't show up tonight until the third period, I think Kari would have been wasted. The snipe on Raycroft was bad, but other than that he was solid.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Lehtonen probably wouldn't have won the game for us. You can pick apart the goals and say that Kari would have saved Bolland's first goal and possibly the Toews breakaway and Patrick Sharp 2 on 1, but Raycroft also made some great saves and who knows if Lehtonen would have been able to get to those?

You can second guess all you want, the fact is Raycroft is getting 20-25 games this year and this one made sense to put him in.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Lethonen can't steal every game. Raycroft didn't help but this team tonight isn't winning whoever was in net.

They're atrocious trying to breakout of their own zone. Dallas can't keep reloading teams deep in their own zone or there are going to be far more nights like this. Do we even have a forecheck?

Vern Fiddler is a good player but he can't be your best player if the Stars want to win. Sourey has surprised me but this team didn't magically improve fivefold from last season.

Crawford wasn't the answer but Gulutzan can only do so much with this roster. Giving up 30+ shots a game on a nightly basis will sink this club over a long season.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:14 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I've seen Gully coach for Two seasons. I've seen crazier ****.
You do know more about our coach than most here, myself included. I just don't see it going over too well. I'm not saying that you have to cater to your star players but when you realize that Ribs really needs that right shooting winger with a good shot it would seem kind of stupid to split them up. I almost think it's more likely we see Morrow swapped for someone else on that line before breaking up Ribs and Ryder.

I'm not categorically against shuffling things around if it looks like it needs to happen, I just don't think you go dicking around with the lineup so soon.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:20 AM
txomisc

Im sure its just magnified by the hawks roster, but this dallas team looks very poor and puck control so far. They do a fairly good job at counterpunching but at some point you need to actually possess the puck for more than a few seconds at a time. Ive been really disappointed with the morrow ribeiro ryder line so far, morrow especially has been a nonfactor so far.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
Quote:
If Kari loses to Phoenix, I would say so.

Amazing Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Finally got around to watching the highlights of this one. I don't know why everyone was blaming Loui for flying the zone prior to Chicago's first goal, that was absolutely the right play. It was reasonable to assume Benn would win that puck battle and it was an acceptable risk for the potential payoff. Raycroft was way too deep in his net.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Finally got around to watching the highlights of this one. I don't know why everyone was blaming Loui for flying the zone prior to Chicago's first goal, that was absolutely the right play. It was reasonable to assume Benn would win that puck battle and it was an acceptable risk for the potential payoff. Raycroft was way too deep in his net.
if i recall correctly, benn was on the boards with 2 'hawks while falling to the ice, a formidable challenge even for jamie. maybe loui initiated his move up before that point, but at the very least, loui coulda been closer to the blue line and not so far into the neutral zone. if benn did loosen the puck up the boards, loui would've still had momentum to get the puck w/ no 'hawk interference. if in position, he coulda posed more of a challenge to the cross-ice pass to sharp (i think it was sharp).

anyhow, it's a move i'd expect from brad richards, not eriksson.

... and THAT is my amateur analysis...

ginblossoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
txomisc

i remember being surprised Benn didnt get that puck out on that play. He usually does there and it looked like he was going to so I dont put any fault on eriksson for taking off.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Yea, I wouldn't blame Eriksson on that one.

And not just because I pull the same move in almost every game I play...

But seriously, having actually done it, if Benn did get it out to Eriksson, it would've been a quality scoring chance the other way. If he had gotten it out and Eriksson didn't go up, sure, we wouldn't have been scored on, but we could've easily missed a quality chance. It was a gamble that failed. It happens sometimes.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Yea, I wouldn't blame Eriksson on that one.

And not just because I pull the same move in almost every game I play...

But seriously, having actually done it, if Benn did get it out to Eriksson, it would've been a quality scoring chance the other way. If he had gotten it out and Eriksson didn't go up, sure, we wouldn't have been scored on, but we could've easily missed a quality chance. It was a gamble that failed. It happens sometimes.
Yeah and not only that but its not like the chances were exactly free flowing for the stars. They shouldnt have been desperate or anything, but forcing the issue once in awhile is not a bad thing.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Are you talking about the Bolland goal? The first goal was Brunette on the PP right on the doorstep. I didn't get a chance to see the game live and only watched the highlights last night; Raycroft didn't look great, especially on that goal. I guess it sort of underscores how good Lehtonen was in the opener.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:37 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Talking about the Brunette goal.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Gotcha, I sort of hate watching Brunette kill the Stars so I may have buzzed by that one a tad quick. That Bolland goal though was surely stoppable. Even when Raycroft wasn't giving up goals he still looked out of sorts back there and pretty deep in his net.