HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something is "off"

Old
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
Something is "off"

Here we are after game 2, and you can tell that on our worst nights, we have what it takes to stay competitive. Al was fantastic, and maybe we will have the reliable goaltending for the duration.

But something else is "off". I just can't put my finger on it, but they completely imploded after 20 tonight, and it's just like they are skating through mud.

Where is this team quickness?
Where is this creativity that Jack's system caters too?
Where is the desire to compete?

It doesn't seem fair that, as fans, we should be asking where the desire to compete is after only the 2nd game of the season.

Whatever it is, it's something. Anyone have an idea of wht we could do to shake things up here? The schedule really picks up starting Thursday, and our opponents aren't the types to play 2 goal games. These are high offense teams, and teams with great goaltending.

We had 7 shots on net the last two periods today.

Confused, really.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
okposobeastmode

When in doubt blame DP... It's clearly his fault... his opening of the bench door skills are way over-rated... guys have a tough time changing

okposobeastmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
But something else is "off". I just can't put my finger on it, but they completely imploded after 20 tonight, and it's just like they are skating through mud.
There's your problem. It was a day game
But do answer the question I really couldn't tell you...

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The team's not very good. That is all.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Islanderfan17

A) Comeau and Bailey are very inconsistent, Blake is only valuable for his shot and Josh just always looks lost out there. I'm all for putting the two in a package to get a good D-man.

B) Toughness. We need to put Haley or Gillies back in the line up, or both! Our only tough guys are Martin and Hamonic and they are more valuable on the ice than in the box. Our image the second half of last season was "Don't **** with us" whereas now it is the same as it was years before.

C) Mike Mottau. God damn does this guy suck, and I knew he did too. He did not impress me one bit last season, but now that Bruno the terrible is gone, his terrible play is even more noticeable. We need a top 4 D-man or Jurcina back in the line up.

D) PAP should NOT be on a 1st line in the NHL. I don't completely hate him as a player, he's decent and he usually hustles. But there is no way he should touch a 1st line in the NHL, he drags down JT and Moulson and it'd be an extremely dangerous line if we could get a good RW to replace him.

E) Consistency. This problem has plagued the Islanders for years, we play a portion of the game and then have a freakin' mental breakdown the rest of it. It was only a few years ago that we were known for blowing 3rd period leads. The kids need to learn how to play a full 60 minute game at some point, now would be a good year to do that.

There are some positives I've seen:

A) John Tavares is due for a breakout year, he looks stronger, faster, and driven like I've never seen before. He's always dangerous when he's on the ice, he's just as good a scorer as he is a playmaker.

B) Al Montoya is playing great, what I like most about him is that he seems very calm and composed in net. He works well under pressure and doesn't wander as much as DP does. I'm hoping he has a great season starting the majority of our games, then we can ink him for a 2 year deal until Poulin is ready to take the work load.

C) Mark Streit, Andy MacDonald, and Travis Hamonic fill a solid 3 out of 4 top 4 D-men spots. Mark is looking great and we sure missed his creativity and shot on the PP, as well as hopping in on the play at good times. A-Mac and Hamonic are just one hell of a defensive duo, they play smart, tough, and can chip in offensively as well.

D) The Penalty kill has been fantastic, I think this will definitely be one of our strengths this season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
cheesemonkey619

We need someone like Konopka to rally the troops and drop the gloves when our guys get run.

cheesemonkey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Short offseason. First game we were sluggish whole game this time we had a great first and started to slow down. Once we start to get used to playing it will get better. If we play a whole game like we did the first period then we will win a lot of games.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
scott99

Once Tavares, Grabner & Moulson get going, this is gonna be one tough team to beat. I do agree we need more toughness and need more urgency after scoring goals, need to keep their foot on the pedal. Didn't really notice Tavares after the first period.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

We have a winner

The team is not that good. That should answer most of questions many have about NYI.

We didn't address major needs in the offseason.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:54 PM
okie21

Its just 2 games. They haven't looked very good, but it's only 2 games. After last seasons second half and (other than that vote thing) a positive off season, people have a lot of expectations. But it's only 2 games. Game 2 last season we beat the Rags at home on Columbus Day. JT was injured, and Bailey and Comeau had dominate games.

Well Bailey went on to have a sup par season including a trip to the AHL, we wound up loseing 20 of 21 and the Rags went to the playoffs. It's a long 82 games season. Your team around Thanksgiving doesn't even really look like the way your team played the first week of the season usually.

Before we start trying to figure out whats "off" I think we should at least give the team 8-10 games to get a sample size.

If they win 4 of the next 5 and are 5-2 no body will be wondering what's "off". But even then, 7 games into the season at 5-2 it wouldn't be smart to start handing out all star nominations.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I feel like you have said this in many different threads, and thats about all. Why dont we play the full season. Or should the isles just not ice a team for the rest of the year because they are not very good?

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We have a winner

The team is not that good. That should answer most of questions many have about NYI.

We didn't address major needs in the offseason.
come on thats not fair. Im just as pissed about the offseason as everyone else. But this team could go either way. As far as im concerned this team is 1-1-0. Let the rest of the season dictate how good this team is.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:01 PM
1 Timer

Has anyone been watching other games. Many teams look bad. It is a marathon not a sprint. Let them get their legs they will be fine.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:08 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

I think we need Hale in this lineup. He will give us a spark and snarl. Martin is the only one that opponents are scared of.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

This team will be sick when we get on the road.
It's all about the ice.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Here we are after game 2, and you can tell that on our worst nights, we have what it takes to stay competitive. Al was fantastic, and maybe we will have the reliable goaltending for the duration.

Where is this team quickness?
Where is this creativity that Jack's system caters too?
Where is the desire to compete?

It doesn't seem fair that, as fans, we should be asking where the desire to compete is after only the 2nd game of the season.

Whatever it is, it's something. Anyone have an idea of wht we could do to shake things up here? The schedule really picks up starting Thursday, and our opponents aren't the types to play 2 goal games. These are high offense teams, and teams with great goaltending.

We had 7 shots on net the last two periods today.

Confused, really.

As Roger Waters said, "I got a strong urge to fly. But I got nowhere to fly to." I'm positive he wasn't talking about the Islanders, but sometimes it seems like these guys want to do the things they were doing last year...spring people for breakaways with the stretch pass, blow by defenders, etc...but they go for it too soon without doing the gritty work necessary to open up those lanes. And it just puts guys out of position, makes them seem directionless and, ironically, makes them slower out there. It's probably why they're taking a lot of penalties but not drawing any, too.

They'll put together some nice stretches of games this year. I'm sure of it. But in the first two games, they're not doing the small things right on offense that lead to the big things. Sort of a weird comparison, but I was watching old Tyson boxing videos a few years ago, and when he was on, he would go to the body repeatedly, forcing an opponent to drop his guard to protect the body, and then he'd come up with the homerun roundhouse. When he got out of jail, he just went out there and went for the roundhouse right away all the time, and he was a horrible boxer for it. Just my opinion, but it seems like when the Isles get the puck, they go for the roundhouse without setting it up with the body shots first.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:32 PM
sketchykg

Last season we were 3-1-2 after 6 games, and Bailey had six points. Fans were high on the team and thought that Bailey was starting towards being a legit top 6 forward.

How about we let things play out a bit.

sketchykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
majormet

Watched Edmonton play Pittsburgh last night, and then the Isles game in person today, and teams just look very rusty, and the better offseason conditioned guys like Letang, Matt Martin, Taylor Hall, etc.. look better.

I don't know what we have as a team right now. I actually think we improved our 4th line greatly and that was a huge problem for us early last year. We added vets which can be seen as good. We let trash go like Gervais and Konopka, which is good.

We did not get the top 4 dman which will hurt us unless DeHaan comes up and pulls a Hamonic.

I am worried about Bailey and Comeau already, might need to break these guys up, but then again if you have Haley and Nino in the lineup, you can luxury box them. I disagree about PAP hurting the first line, I think when Moulson is a step behind like he has been he hurts the line. PAP's hustle led to the 2nd goal, he might not be as bad as some think.

This team is going to have to shake up the lines at some point, at like one poster said maybe we can deal Comeau/Bailey package with a 1st for a top pairing dman.

Team will look like this if that were to magically happen

Grabner/JT/PAP
Okposo/Nielsen/Rolston
Nino/Reasoner/Moulson
Pandolfo/Haley/Martin

Streit/acquired dman
Hamonic/Amac
Eaton/Jurcina

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Weird that the goaltending is saving us and the offense isn't good and the D is holding up. Nobody called that

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Weird that the goaltending is saving us and the offense isn't good and the D is holding up. Nobody called that
Thats what is keeping me positive. We have legit goal scorers and will pick it up on offense for sure but the way our D has played and big Al has made some great saves. Im liking what I'm seeing so far and once our stars start netting pucks we will be fine.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
majormet

What happens to Islanders players when they gain a bolt on their sweater...

Bruno Gervais has a goal and an assist and has not looked like Bruno Gervais in the 3 shifts I have seen him play.... Thompson, Bergenheim, now Bruno?????

Old
10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Bruno Gervais has a goal and an assist and has not looked like Bruno Gervais in the 3 shifts I have seen him play.... Thompson, Bergenheim, now Bruno?????
You play better when you have better teammates.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Saw him in preseason against Montreal...he was terrible.

Bergenheim wasn't any better in TB than on Long Island. Playoffs notwithstanding.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
You play better when you have better teammates.
He was paired with your handle namesakes for the first half of 2009/10 and that could not save him.

Of course this is just one game, and to me Bruno did have one great game in the past 2 years,... 6-0 against Detroit.

Old
10-10-2011, 07:48 PM
BossyMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Once Tavares, Grabner & Moulson get going, this is gonna be one tough team to beat. I do agree we need more toughness and need more urgency after scoring goals, need to keep their foot on the pedal. Didn't really notice Tavares after the first period.
Maybe cause you were watching Judge Judy after 2pm because he was the 2nd best player on the ice today.

BossyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote