HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Couturier and Read

Old
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
if I trade my captain for a rookie I think very highly of, he's 20 so I'm and seems to be nhl ready im gonna see what he can do where I envisioned him this year. I love
read and he's played good but not good enough for me not to give the schenn experiment a try.
Like I said, Im one to turn away from politics. Im not going to play a guy based off of it and give another guys spot up because of who this player was part of trade wise.

Plus I dont know what we are all arguing over. Lavy has shown he doesnt want to use Couturier and Schenn as wingers. He see's them as centers, so I HIGHLY doubt Schenn is brought up as a wing or even Couturier for that matter.

That being said I dont wonder if they move Briere to wing again. Honestly out of all the lines, the Voracek-Briere-Simmonds line has been kinda average (5v5 wise). If something happens and say Hartnell is traded and Schenn called up I'd go.

Briere-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
JVR-Couturier-Read

Currently, since we are winning, I dont want to change ****.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
You really think the difference between Hartnell and Schenn is the difference between a whole round in the playoffs?You guys must see something in him that I don't.
I don't know if Hartnell will make that much of a difference, but we know what we will get from Hartnell. With Schenn we don't know what to expect at all. Pretty foolish to trade Hartnell at this point in favor of rookies. When do you ever see a contending team with four rookies in their lineup? That's something you see from the Edmontons and the Ottawas, not teams looking to win it all. Granted I don't think they can win it even with Hartnell, but that is their goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Like I said, Im one to turn away from politics. Im not going to play a guy based off of it and give another guys spot up because of who this player was part of trade wise.

Plus I dont know what we are all arguing over. Lavy has shown he doesnt want to use Couturier and Schenn as wingers. He see's them as centers, so I HIGHLY doubt Schenn is brought up as a wing or even Couturier for that matter.

That being said I dont wonder if they move Briere to wing again. Honestly out of all the lines, the Voracek-Briere-Simmonds line has been kinda average (5v5 wise). If something happens and say Hartnell is traded and Schenn called up I'd go.

Briere-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Simmonds
JVR-Couturier-Read

Currently, since we are winning, I dont want to change ****.
If they didn't move Briere to the wing to play Carter at center, they aren't going to move him for a rookie. When Schenn gets recalled they probably will stick Couturier on the 4th line like they had it before Schenn got injured.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
intro9

How's about something like this?

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Hartnell / Briere / Voracek
Simmonds / Schenn / Read
Talbot / Coutourier / Nodl

Give Briere back Hartnell, and Voracek can fill that Lieno role with the dishing.

The Schenn line could really do some damage with a good mix of young, feisty, talented players.

and that 4th line is a true, TRUE shutdown line. Nodl has looked fantastic as a 3rd/4th line checker since last seasons playoffs, and has continued that great play early this season. Couts has been great in his own end and Talbot is a very responsible, annoying player to play against.

intro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:11 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by intro9 View Post

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Simmonds / Schenn / Read

Give Briere back Hartnell, and Voracek can fill that Lieno role with the dishing.

The Schenn line could really do some damage with a good mix of young, feisty, talented players.

and that 4th line is a true, TRUE shutdown line. Nodl has looked fantastic as a 3rd/4th line checker since last seasons playoffs, and has continued that great play early this season. Couts has been great in his own end and Talbot is a very responsible, annoying player to play against.
And moving Read to the 4th line wouldn't hurt it's shutdown ability much either. Playing Couturier against the other teams enforcers/pests isn't the brightest of ideas. Playing him with the likes of Schenn and another skilled veteran on the 3rd line (Simmonds, Hartnell, JvR) will only help his development.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Hey folks, coming in peace, (although im pissed as hell because im jealous as you guys have couturier...love him man wanted him bad ) to ask how has he been, im surprised as hell he broke the camp with you guys as I thought he should have gone down but he must have done something insane?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:15 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Hey folks, coming in peace, (although im pissed as hell because im jealous as you guys have couturier...love him man wanted him bad ) to ask how has he been, im surprised as hell he broke the camp with you guys as I thought he should have gone down but he must have done something insane?
Hes averaged like 4 or 5 minutes of PK time both games, and is on the ice in important situations more often then not.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I tend to agree with this. I just don't think Homer would be very comfortable running with three rookies in the top 9 an a forth on the 4th line. I think we keep Hartnell for the year and just have even more forward depth with him here as opposed to trading him and running the risk of creating a HUGE hole if we get a major injury in our top 9.

I DO think that this year will see Simmonds replace Hartnell in that type of a role and that Hartnell will be dealt just before/at the draft next June.
He's already replaced Hartnell.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
His play isn't flashy and seemingly plain, but everything he does is smart...and correct. He can lock down on a player in the defensive zone, and when he gets the puck under pressure in his own zone, he's extremely calm and makes perfect passes/plays. He's standing out more and more each game. I'd be shocked if he got sent down after 9. Lavy has already called him our best defensive player. I'd expect all of this from a 30 year old 4th line PK wizard...not from an 18 year old top 10 pick.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
He's already replaced Hartnell.
Just one power forward in the top9 just isn't enough. Atleast not until JVR starts throwing big big hits.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:05 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Just one power forward in the top9 just isn't enough. Atleast not until JVR starts throwing big big hits.
Right, but who's in front of the net on the PP the last two games? I think the point is that Simmonds in already in the spotlight while Hartnell seems to be relegated to 3rd line duties so far.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Hes averaged like 4 or 5 minutes of PK time both games, and is on the ice in important situations more often then not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
His play isn't flashy and seemingly plain, but everything he does is smart...and correct. He can lock down on a player in the defensive zone, and when he gets the puck under pressure in his own zone, he's extremely calm and makes perfect passes/plays. He's standing out more and more each game. I'd be shocked if he got sent down after 9. Lavy has already called him our best defensive player. I'd expect all of this from a 30 year old 4th line PK wizard...not from an 18 year old top 10 pick.
that's awesome news! really glad it has worked for you guys, heres hoping couturier even becomes better, all the best!

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Orange Thunder

I can honestly say I read the title as Couturier can read.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Midnight Oil

Quote:

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Simmonds / Schenn / Read

Swtich Couturier and Schenn.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Jumping

How about this... leave Schenn in the minors playing a regular 18 to 20 minutes a night so he is ready when the inevitable injury strikes one of our top 6.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
How about this... leave Schenn in the minors playing a regular 18 to 20 minutes a night so he is ready when the inevitable injury strikes one of our top 6.
This is the easy road to take and the safest choice, but you just cant help but wonder what this kid is going to bring. Look at how couturier and read have looked, I mean I know its only two games, but they do not look like rookies and have been huge contributors to the team. There is no reason why schenn cannot do the same.

Honestly I was thinking today it could be bad for his morale watching our young guys like couturier and read play so well and not look out of place while he is stuck in the minors, then when he does finally come up they will obviously be ahead of him in experience and confidence.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't see why people can't believe using an all rookie line wouldn't work. It's not as if the rookies are morons or anything like that. Schenn and Couturier have high hockey IQs and Read just fits like a glove. Couturier and Read have carried the line with Hartnell so far, so I don't see how the play drops when Schenn gets added to the line.

The whole idea of having a veteran skate on the line is beyond me. You play your best players - and if a rookie is a better player than a veteran, you play him. And to be perfectly honest, if the Flyers decide that they want a "veteran" on the line, why not move Hartnell elsewhere and bump Nodl up from the fourth to left wing on that line? Nodl is just as good defensively and can atleast stand up on his skates.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
mirimon

Nödl is pretty much a sophomore, not really what I'd consider a veteran presence. If you're looking for that sort of thing, I mean.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

JVR / Giroux / Jagr
Simmonds / Schenn / Read

I love the idea of having Schenn and Couturier on the same team, but I don't think playing either ont he fourth line is a good idea. I don't know how either would fare on the wing, but Couturier or Schenn playing limited minutes on the fourth line is likely not good for them. Read I wouldn't mind seeing on the fourth line though. Nothing against him, I just think he is more suited for that role because of his skillset and age relative to Couturier/Schenn.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love the idea of having Schenn and Couturier on the same team, but I don't think playing either ont he fourth line is a good idea. I don't know how either would fare on the wing, but Couturier or Schenn playing limited minutes on the fourth line is likely not good for them. Read I wouldn't mind seeing on the fourth line though. Nothing against him, I just think he is more suited for that role because of his skillset and age relative to Couturier/Schenn.
I'd like this:

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Couturier-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Read-Nodl

All lines can score, and with the last 2 lines, the amount of two-way forwards is ridiculous.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
I think if your 4th line is good enough, you can roll them out 10-12 min a night.

Talbot-Couturier-Nodl, is a line I'd give a regular shift to.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd like this:

Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Couturier-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Read-Nodl

All lines can score, and with the last 2 lines, the amount of two-way forwards is ridiculous.
Yeah, if that fits under the cap, that is exactly what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
I think if your 4th line is good enough, you can roll them out 10-12 min a night.

Talbot-Couturier-Nodl, is a line I'd give a regular shift to.
I'd still rather see Couturier playing with better complimentary players. He's a solid two-way defenseman, but with Schenn and Simmonds on his line he could be more valuable to the team than with Talbot and NoGoal.

On another Read related note, now ESPN is saying he looks like a Calder candidate. Seems like they aren't even trying these days (or any days in the last five or so years). I thought he looked good no doubt overall, much better in the second game, but it's been two games. Just because Bob McKenzie says he's a Calder candidate I feel like ESPN jumped on the bandwagon. He's a good player, but I can't see him winning the Calder with the other competition he's facing, even on his own team. I wonder if Bob McKenzie said Nodl looks like an Art Ross candidate if ESPN would start saying that too?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:

I'd still rather see Couturier playing with better complimentary players. He's a solid two-way defenseman, but with Schenn and Simmonds on his line he could be more valuable to the team than with Talbot and NoGoal.

On another Read related note, now ESPN is saying he looks like a Calder candidate. Seems like they aren't even trying these days (or any days in the last five or so years). I thought he looked good no doubt overall, much better in the second game, but it's been two games. Just because Bob McKenzie says he's a Calder candidate I feel like ESPN jumped on the bandwagon. He's a good player, but I can't see him winning the Calder with the other competition he's facing, even on his own team. I wonder if Bob McKenzie said Nodl looks like an Art Ross candidate if ESPN would start saying that too?
Its only going to take a few games for a lot of people to jump on this bandwagon... this kid is legit.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

If they saw his pre-season then I could see why they would come to that conclusion independent of Bob McKenzie. He was being used in every situation and excelling. He also has the age advantage. The problem is he isn't being used on the PP in the regular season and he's getting third line minutes which is why he likely won't win.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
deflowd

I still feel like the Flyers are gonna send Couterier down after game 9 for Schenn.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't see why people can't believe using an all rookie line wouldn't work. It's not as if the rookies are morons or anything like that. Schenn and Couturier have high hockey IQs and Read just fits like a glove. Couturier and Read have carried the line with Hartnell so far, so I don't see how the play drops when Schenn gets added to the line.

The whole idea of having a veteran skate on the line is beyond me. You play your best players - and if a rookie is a better player than a veteran, you play him. And to be perfectly honest, if the Flyers decide that they want a "veteran" on the line, why not move Hartnell elsewhere and bump Nodl up from the fourth to left wing on that line? Nodl is just as good defensively and can atleast stand up on his skates.....
You speak wisdom.

The argument made by some that they MAY flame out is also specious

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote