HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Hypothetical ...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,212
vCash: 500
Hypothetical ...

Lets say every team goes undefeated from here on out Virginia Tech (we'll see next two weeks BC & Miami), 1 of USC / UCLA, Texas, 1 of UGA / Alabama (could theoretically only meet in the SEC title game)

will then and only then with the BCS jack holes get enough blow back to get rid of this BcS?

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 08:35 PM
  #2
Unholy Diver
Registered User
 
Unholy Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: in the midnight sea
Posts: 13,027
vCash: 500
the BCS is better than the old system was, and they added the extra "playoff" game already so there shouldnt be any issues

Unholy Diver is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
  #3
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Clayton Forrester
the BCS is better than the old system was, and they added the extra "playoff" game already so there shouldnt be any issues
You're right - it is better than the old system. But it still sucks, and should finally be done away with and replaced with an 8-team or 16-team playoff.

Dress a skunk up in pretty clothes and spray it with perfume, and it's still a skunk.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 09:11 PM
  #4
Unholy Diver
Registered User
 
Unholy Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: in the midnight sea
Posts: 13,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
You're right - it is better than the old system. But it still sucks, and should finally be done away with and replaced with an 8-team or 16-team playoff.

Dress a skunk up in pretty clothes and spray it with perfume, and it's still a skunk.
and there will always be a team or teams that think they should be in the 8 or 16 team playoff as well

how do you determine it?

what happens in the years that there are only 1 or 2 undefeated teams, then who do you pick? last years Big East champ Pitt was a lesser team but made the BCS, do you take a 2 loss team from a power conference instead of an undefeated or 1 loss team from the WAC? there is no perfect system and its not gonna change because the bowls make way too much money

Unholy Diver is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 09:25 PM
  #5
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Clayton Forrester
and there will always be a team or teams that think they should be in the 8 or 16 team playoff as well

how do you determine it?
Division I-AA has done it for quite a few years now, the method is pretty solid. There's always going to be objections from teams that think they should have been in the playoff - it happens in basketball. However, a playoff is *much* more fair to teams like Texas Tech, UCLA, or Alabama that happen to have the bad luck of having a Texas, USC, or Georgia in their conference.

For all the talk of "this makes the regular season mean a lot more", this is *the only* sport at any level where one loss (especially a loss late in the season) torpedos any chance of playing for a championship. A loss should be a loss, whether it's in week 1 or in week 12 - but we all know if you lose in the opening week and go on to finish 11-1, you'll finish higher than a team that goes 11-0 and loses in the final week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Clayton Forrester
what happens in the years that there are only 1 or 2 undefeated teams, then who do you pick? last years Big East champ Pitt was a lesser team but made the BCS, do you take a 2 loss team from a power conference instead of an undefeated or 1 loss team from the WAC? there is no perfect system and its not gonna change because the bowls make way too much money
That's going to happen. It happens even in Div I-AA. But I'd rather have a 9-3 team have a chance to play for a national title than have an 11-1 team get excluded from the chance because someone else thought another 11-1 team was better.

And I still maintain that a playoff would generate *a lot* more money than the BCS. TV rights, ticket sales, and so on - it would be easily more than what they make currently.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 09:29 PM
  #6
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
no because texas and sc would be in the national championship game and most of the country would be satisfied with that with the exception of blacksburg and the sec

but even then it wouldnt be as bad as in past years

a bigger problem would be if sc loses and the other teams win out...


Last edited by Anthony*: 10-24-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Anthony* is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
  #7
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
no because texas and sc would be in the national championship game and most of the country would be satisfied with that with the exception of blacksburg and the sec

but even then it wouldnt be as bad as years passed

a bigger problem would be if sc loses and the other teams win out...
Strangely, most of the country was satisfied last year when it was USC and Oklahoma in the NC and Auburn was on the outside looking in. That still doesn't make it right.

Put in a playoff like every other division in NCAA has, and let's finally get the guarantee of an undisputed champion instead of the colossal messes like we've had most of the last 8 years.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:08 PM
  #8
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
i dont know about you but i couldnt stop hearing it from sec fans last season

especially with ou's piss poor showing in the nc game

Anthony* is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,480
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
especially with ou's piss poor showing in the nc game

USC was going to smoke whoever they played. I'm fine with it because OU probably would have embarassed Virginia Tech

GKJ is offline  
Old
10-24-2005, 10:43 PM
  #10
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
i disagree

auburn would have at least shown up and made usc earn it

Anthony* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.