HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something is "off"

Old
10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
He was paired with your handle namesakes for the first half of 2009/10 and that could not save him.

Of course this is just one game, and to me Bruno did have one great game in the past 2 years,... 6-0 against Detroit.
Tampa's team as whole is a lot better than the Isles ever were with Bruno. I'm no suggesting it was his partner that was the issue-but the team/system as a whole.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
the isle revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Here we are after game 2,
This.

But seriously, I'll make my assessments after a 20 game clip or so. Let 'em get out of the gate guys.

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:06 PM
StrongIslanders90

Tavares is the only one who I see that has 100% drive.......but I guess thats what happens when you dont play many pre season games as a complete team.....And what the helll are they doing to this kid Strome....Kid needs to be in juniors tearing **** up.....not in the press box....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Remember how awesome we started last year? And how horribly we played after that? Let's wait until AT LEAST 10 games before we start making assessments. You can't take any two consecutive games of an 82 game season (let alone the first two) and make any seriously accurate diagnosis. We're 1-1. Chill out folks.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
malPHONEY

Remember how horrible the team looked in 2006 until that shootout win against the Ducks?

Looking forward to Game #3 reactionary thread.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Strome18

The season is a marathon not a sprint. What is "off" with this team is the legs and lungs. Once they get their stride, it will get better.
Now, saying this, I expect changes to come by the trade deadline that might shake up the team a bit. What changes I leave up to Garth, Cappy, Weights, to be continued.....

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Islanders1932

Wow 2 games, really? Some people need to stay off the internet

You cannot judge a team off that small of a sample size its basic probability and statistics. Come on man.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:25 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Tavares is the only one who I see that has 100% drive.......but I guess thats what happens when you dont play many pre season games as a complete team.....And what the helll are they doing to this kid Strome....Kid needs to be in juniors tearing **** up.....not in the press box....
Martin and Parenteau have 100% drive, as do all the dmen, even those that are not good (Mottau and Staios), they have played with drive.

Looking at the boxscore and saw that Comeau had 5 hits, kind of surprised by that.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
I feel like you have said this in many different threads, and thats about all.
Hey, I say other stuff too. Like, how U2 sucks.

Quote:
Why dont we play the full season. Or should the isles just not ice a team for the rest of the year because they are not very good?
I'm all for playing the full season. I think it will be a good season and the team will make forward strides. But, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this wasn't a lottery team last year. There will be up and downs. This team will struggle and I won't be terribly shocked when it does. I do think the team will be interesting to watch, but ultimately they just have too many holes and not enough proven talent to fill them. Sorry.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Martin and Parenteau have 100% drive, as do all the dmen, even those that are not good (Mottau and Staios), they have played with drive.

Looking at the boxscore and saw that Comeau had 5 hits, kind of surprised by that.
Do they count hitting the boards?

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Hip Of Rick

The Islanders are not a good team. The same can be said about the Wild and Panthers . Boring and uninspired games between bad teams

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:09 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Here we are after game 2, and you can tell that on our worst nights, we have what it takes to stay competitive. Al was fantastic, and maybe we will have the reliable goaltending for the duration.

But something else is "off". I just can't put my finger on it, but they completely imploded after 20 tonight, and it's just like they are skating through mud.

Where is this team quickness?
Where is this creativity that Jack's system caters too?
Where is the desire to compete?

It doesn't seem fair that, as fans, we should be asking where the desire to compete is after only the 2nd game of the season.

Whatever it is, it's something. Anyone have an idea of wht we could do to shake things up here? The schedule really picks up starting Thursday, and our opponents aren't the types to play 2 goal games. These are high offense teams, and teams with great goaltending.

We had 7 shots on net the last two periods today.

Confused, really.

It really is so amazing how you are the LEAST patient person on all of these boards. Get a new name.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:11 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Hey, I say other stuff too. Like, how U2 sucks.

I'm all for playing the full season. I think it will be a good season and the team will make forward strides. But, I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this wasn't a lottery team last year. There will be up and downs. This team will struggle and I won't be terribly shocked when it does. I do think the team will be interesting to watch, but ultimately they just have too many holes and not enough proven talent to fill them. Sorry.
oh im by no means a optimist, especially when it comes to this team. You will not hear me say this team is a lock for the playoffs. On the flip side of things im not a pessimist either and wont say this will be another lottery team. Im agnostic. Im going to with hold judgment untill i see what this team is really made of. I wont use last season to make my judgment of this team. The players are a year older. We have some new players in the line up and we have not seen a healthy isles team over a long stretch yet. There are to many variables with this team to really no for sure how they will perform.

Edit: However if we do see a healthy team and they still end up being a lottery team, something really needs to be done. As built right now i really dont see them being that, and if they dont make progress with a healthy team this "rebuild" has stalled and things should def be shook up

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:56 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
Weird that the goaltending is saving us and the offense isn't good and the D is holding up. Nobody called that
So true. In all the season previews we kept hearing, "they're going to score their goals but where will the consistent D come from? and the goal situation is a mystery that could implode" blah blah...

Maybe the forwards are listening to this and think that the goals will just come. As Butch noticed (yeah, i know!), they skated twice as hard once the net was empty. I'll never understand paid athletes who supposedly love the game - don't amp it up every minute in play. They'll figure it out soon enough.

As said prior, we really need to relax and let them play a few games.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

So is the OP going to start a random thread after every game?

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:36 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Wow 2 games, really? Some people need to stay off the internet

You cannot judge a team off that small of a sample size its basic probability and statistics. Come on man.
But you can spot a trend with two or more "n" which is precisely what we have. So far I've seen 6 periods of play from the Islanders. Of those 6 only 1 was a clear win, 1 was a wash, and 4 were below average to disgraceful. I am going to guess that Cap got into them a bit and they came out ready to play the first period, but then with two goals and no one really scary on the other team to deal with they fell asleep by the third period, which is when the Wild really took the body and pimp slapped them like they were 5 dolla ho's on a 20 dolla street. I saw zero retaliation when they were busy burying our skill guys into the boards.

Note A: Bring Haley up.
Note B: Sacrifice the next game to send a message - wreck as many players from the other team as possible. You lose 2 now, but gain who knows how many later from it.
Note C: Get on the refs as they are letting the other clubs get away with borderline crap uncontested (hello Cap, do your job).
Note D: If Moulson and pap are going to put these kinds of games in next to Tavares then you need to ratchet up the feelers to get him a real linemate.
Note E: It is easy for other clubs to treat our team like a bunch of rag dolls when our blueline is composed mostly of non physical players. Currently Snow gets an F for failing to address this using every available means.
Note 6: Why is Strome not playing? They brought him up but he sits... curious.

Good game by Monty and I want to see more of him, but we have to get some games in for Nabokov if they want to trade him later.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 10-11-2011 at 01:04 AM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But you can spot a trend with two or more "n" which is precisely what we have. So far I've seen 6 periods of play from the Islanders. Of those 6 only 1 was a clear win, 1 was a wash, and 4 were below average to disgraceful. I am going to guess that Cap got into them a bit and they came out ready to play the first period, but then with two goals and no one really scary on the other team to deal with they fell asleep by the third period, which is when the Wild really took the body and pimp slapped them like they were 5 dolla ho's on a 20 dolla street. I saw zero retaliation when they were busy burying our skill guys into the boards.
Note 6: Why is Strome not playing? They brought him up but he sits... curious.

Note A: Bring Haley up.
Note B: Sacrifice the next game to send a message - wreck as many players from the other team as possible. You lose 2 now, but gain who knows how many later from it.
Note C: Get on the refs as they are letting the other clubs get away with borderline crap uncontested (hello Cap, do your job).
Note D: If Moulson and pap are going to put these kinds of games in next to Tavares then you need to ratchet up the feelers to get him a real linemate.
Note E: It is easy for other clubs to treat our team like a bunch of rag dolls when our blueline is composed mostly of non physical players. Currently Snow gets an F for failing to address this using every available means.

Good game by Monty and I want to see more of him, but we have to get some games in for Nabokov if they want to trade him later.

Stopped reading after the bolded. You know enough about statistics to know the variable, yet ignore the ridiculously small sample size? And then break in down into periods as if it gave you a larger number. 2 of 82 = 6 of 246 = insignificant data.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But you can spot a trend with two or more "n" which is precisely what we have. So far I've seen 6 periods of play from the Islanders. Of those 6 only 1 was a clear win, 1 was a wash, and 4 were below average to disgraceful.
Your data is skewed from only having that low of an "n" value. We do not have statistical significance from it. In order to make any conclusions from a set of data you need to have n greater than or equal to 15 for it to even be acceptable and really they want n to be greater than 40.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:13 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Stopped reading after the bolded. You know enough about statistics to know the variable, yet ignore the ridiculously small sample size? And then break in down into periods as if it gave you a larger number. 2 of 82 = 6 of 246 = insignificant data.
I stopped reading after the bolded. You know enough about statistics to use the terms, but little else to suggest that sample size is meaningful. The first thing I learned about stats in my first of several stat courses is that the size of "n" is insignificant as you can always produce another sample set with an extra zero or two given the infinite size of our number system.

They played 1 good period out of 6. That's enough to say they've not played well to start. Hopefully they find their groove shortly. Of all the guys playing I see a grand total of 5 playing consistently at the level I expect from them - Monty, Tavares, Hamonic, Pando, Martin... and maybe Rolston. That is unacceptable if your goal is not to get a great draft pick.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

It is called rust the real NHL stretch is from the 20 - 82game mark thats when you see your true team 2 games is just getting the legs going again . No need to panic Islander fans. And on a side note what is going on with a new arena for you guys?

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
It is called rust the real NHL stretch is from the 20 - 82game mark thats when you see your true team 2 games is just getting the legs going again . No need to panic Islander fans. And on a side note what is going on with a new arena for you guys?
Exactly. People need to quit worrying. Remember when we went 4-1-2 the first 7 games and everyone was saying how we're gonna be a playoff team? Yea, that sure went well . Just take it easy, I'm optimistic things will work out.

As for the arena, newoil, nothing going on right now. Keeping fingers crossed for something.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Luceni

I'm not worried about the isles. They've sucked in two games but still won one game. Just wait until taveres, grabner, moulson find they way back on track and this is gonna be a great season to be an isles fan.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:01 AM
LAIslanderFan

I think the Islanders are too small and they lack toughness. At one point it looked like the Wild were starting to intimadate the Islanders with their rough play. The only bangers the Islanders had tonight were Martin, Staios, and Hamonic. The Wild were taking liberties all night with Tavares and don't think Moulson or PAP are going to stand up to anyone.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Exactly. People need to quit worrying. Remember when we went 4-1-2 the first 7 games and everyone was saying how we're gonna be a playoff team? Yea, that sure went well . Just take it easy, I'm optimistic things will work out.

As for the arena, newoil, nothing going on right now. Keeping fingers crossed for something.
Thx for update cant wait to see the 13/14 Stanley Cup 30th anniversary OILVs Islanders rematch

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 03:11 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick

wow that was quick...2 games

Did we improve this offseason?

marginally...

Did we even go after any sort of a top 4D to improve the D?

Staios? Yeah right...

Sorry kiddies....im agreeing with the above poster

We just aren't that good a team...

im not being negative...just realistic.