HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Scalp NHL Tickets in Winnipeg - Get Charged, Lose Tickets and Season Tickets Revoked

Old
10-09-2011, 11:42 AM
JonnyCash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
These scalpers really made my piss boil when they were trying to sell the road game viewing party charity tickets for 5~10x their purchase value.
Yep same - the Canucks have to be fair by giving blue-line + Season ticket holders early access. It's just sad that half + of the "season ticket holders" are scalpers.

JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Guardian452

Scalpers are nothing more than leeches. They add no value to the product. Folks could just as easily buy the tickets from the event organizers or from the original authorized seller if it weren't for scalpers buying up blocks of tickets.

I'd like to see other clubs follow True North's example and revoke the tickets to anyone reselling tickets without authorization.

Guardian452 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:49 PM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
Scalpers are nothing more than leeches. They add no value to the product. Folks could just as easily buy the tickets from the event organizers or from the original authorized seller if it weren't for scalpers buying up blocks of tickets.

I'd like to see other clubs follow True North's example and revoke the tickets to anyone reselling tickets without authorization.
People are still willing to buy the tickets from the scalpers, not only that but there is no guarantee of a return for them, and they sometimes take a loss. They buy something they know people will pay more for. What do you think everyone you ever buy anything from does?

ZyggZagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 01:53 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
People are still willing to buy the tickets from the scalpers, not only that but there is no guarantee of a return for them, and they sometimes take a loss. They buy something they know people will pay more for. What do you think everyone you ever buy anything from does?
Buy's wholesale/bulk and re-sells smaller/individual portions for more per unit. Scalpers for the most part do not buy wholesale. If you lived in a small town with only one grocery store, and someone went in and bought ALL the milk that was on sale and sat outside the store selling it for 3X the price - you would be ok with it? You not only are paying 3X the cost - you have no way to verify if the milk is even real or fresh.

You think there is much risk on a Canucks playoff game ?

I'm all for letting the market set the price - I just know there are much more efficient/safe ways of doing so.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Buy's wholesale/bulk and re-sells smaller/individual portions for more per unit. Scalpers for the most part do not buy wholesale. If you lived in a small town with only one grocery store, and someone went in and bought ALL the milk that was on sale and sat outside the store selling it for 3X the price - you would be ok with it? You not only are paying 3X the cost - you have no way to verify if the milk is even real or fresh.

I'm all for letting the market set the price - I just know there are much more efficient/safe ways of doing so.
Last time I checked, there isn't one scalper that has every ticket. If it's that big a problem, don't buy any milk from that guy and make him lose money on it, since everyone in that town will think he's an *******, group up and make him lose money.

As for fake tickets, obviously that's a problem that should be looked into. But for law enforcement agencies to get involved in people selling tickets to some type of entertainment is absurd.

Also, don't forget some people wouldn't be able to afford to go to games if it weren't for scalpers. How many people have you seen even posting here have talked about buying tickets 5 minutes after puck drop for much less than face value? It works both ways.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Captain Hockey Stick

The only way to get rid of scalpers would be to make tickets non transferable, but that would be a nightmare to implement.

Captain Hockey Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Last time I checked, there isn't one scalper that has every ticket. If it's that big a problem, don't buy any milk from that guy and make him lose money on it, since everyone in that town will think he's an *******, group up and make him lose money.
So you are suggesting that instead of the Grocery store seeing the huge issue with their loyal customers and saying "limit 2 per customer" - the entire town should start a political movement and group up in hopes of changing something?

Quote:
As for fake tickets, obviously that's a problem that should be looked into. But for law enforcement agencies to get involved in people selling tickets to some type of entertainment is absurd.

Also, don't forget some people wouldn't be able to afford to go to games if it weren't for scalpers. How many people have you seen even posting here have talked about buying tickets 5 minutes after puck drop for much less than face value? It works both ways.
Law enforcement agencies getting involved? You do know that fraud is a crime right? They probably DO get involved in all of the fake ticket cases already.

Bottom line - it's about the MAJORITY always. The majority of fans would have a better experience/zero fraud (crime) if scalping/reselling tickets was more punished. The Canucks/NHL would make WAY more money as well. Which for those of you who don't care about anything but button line - could increase the cap around the league. Adding 20-50% revenue on ticket sales is huge.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:49 PM
JonnyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hockey Stick View Post
The only way to get rid of scalpers would be to make tickets non transferable, but that would be a nightmare to implement.
Not true at all. Ticket scalping comes from a few main sources:

1. People buying season tickets with the intent to scalp
2. Businesses having excess tickets/Corporate sponsorship's comp'd tickets - usually offloaded to a scalper - or the business will attempt to sell themselves.
3. People buying tickets from a 3rd party and re-re-selling them for more money.

I'm not saying they need to verify EVERY single ticket.. but the solution is very simple.. make the only legal way to re-sell a ticket through the prime-ticket club. Also make sure the prime-ticket club has 0 entry fee or any fee to the purchaser. The club/scalper split the profits.

Hit a few scalpers really hard by removing their season ticket rights.. and things would start to change REAL quick.

I applaud Winnipeg's community/hockey first attitude.

Old
10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:

Your example doesn't make sense. If someone could buy all the milk and then resell it for 3X "the price" the grocer would jack his prices up to match it in a heartbeat.

It is arguably unfair that professional scalpers can use technology to elbow their way to the front of the line to buy tickets as soon they go on sale (assuming that is the case). However, as an earlier poster pointed out, you can't stop scalping without making it illegal for anyone to resell tickets. That would be obnoxious and a waste of resources to enforce.

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
I never thought anyone would try to equate a scalper to a wholesaler. A wholesaler brings value by offering the convenience of getting what you need at a single place. I accept that I'll pay more by going to a grocery store to get my foods, rather than driving around from one manufacturer to another. Scalpers are nothing more than parasites. What value does a scalper bring to justify the higher price?

They use captcha software to get an unfair advantage to round up as many tickets as they can, make a profit on those tickets some people are willing to pay more for, and let go to waste tickets they're unable to turnaround. As far as the consumer goes, it's lose, lose, lose.

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
ZyggZagg

Quote:

Bottom line - it's about the MAJORITY always. The majority of fans would have a better experience/zero fraud (crime) if scalping/reselling tickets was more punished. The Canucks/NHL would make WAY more money as well.
Yes, and outlawing people driving cars altogether would cut down on car related deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
I never thought anyone would try to equate a scalper to a wholesaler. A wholesaler brings value by offering the convenience of getting what you need at a single place. I accept that I'll pay more by going to a grocery store to get my foods, rather than driving around from one manufacturer to another. Scalpers are nothing more than parasites. What value does a scalper bring to justify the higher price?

They use captcha software to get an unfair advantage to round up as many tickets as they can, make a profit on those tickets some people are willing to pay more for, and let go to waste tickets they're unable to turnaround. As far as the consumer goes, it's lose, lose, lose.
They're putting their money on the line to make a profit. When you buy something, it's yours to sell, period. To me this is the same as people getting in legal trouble over modifying products they bought legally (like Xbox Kinect or whatever). You buy something, it should be yours to do whatever you want with. If people want to buy tickets, they should be able to give them away, sell them, burn them or whatever. Not to mention like one poster stated, you can't make scalping illegal without making friendly ticket sales illegal. I know a few people with season tickets, and when they can't make the games, they sell the tickets at face value to a friend who wants tickets in prime seating to a sold out game.

If the Canucks really wanted to stop scalping, they could, even though I don't agree with it (although it doesn't hurt them in any way), but law enforcement should never be involved unless it is to charge someone for selling fake tickets.

By the way, the milk comparison is flawed. You need food and things like that to, you know, live. However, if someone went to EB games and bought every single game in the store and then raised the prices, that's up to them. Video games, just like going to a hockey game, is not a necessity and you have the choice of whether or not you want to go. The Canucks would raise their prices in a heartbeat if they felt they could make more profits by having higher ticket prices, but there is a limit to how much most people will pay. If scalpers bought every ticket and raised the prices to 3x and everyone still bought them, then the Canucks would just raise ticket prices 3x. Do you think the Canucks aren't an organization meant to make a profit?

Last edited by ZyggZagg: 10-09-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old
10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Haka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
These scalpers really made my piss boil when they were trying to sell the road game viewing party charity tickets for 5~10x their purchase value.
Me too. And most of my friends. So we decided to get back at them. The idiot left his cell # on there for the canucks charity game tickets he was trying to sell for $100 or some such, so we put up a bunch of fake craiglist ad's with amazing deals using his number (cheap flatscreen for $50, car for $800 etc). Then we took turns calling him asking about various items. He got pretty irritated pretty quickly, but we could hear his friends in the background laughing at him.

A few days later my buddy called him from a pay phone and reamed him out for trying to rip people off on a charity game.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
If teams were truly acting in the public interest, instead of disallowing ticket resales, they should amend the contract to state that the ticket is void after the 1st period if unused, and then resell these unused tickets at a deep discount to those willing to wait outside the stadium.

This would give citizens who otherwise couldn't afford it, or didn't have access to tickets period, an opportunity to attend the game, albeit not for the full 60 minutes. Instead of the current situation where quite often we see a bunch of empty seats go to waste - its not like wasting food but to some underprivileged kid who worships their NHL team for example, it's a big deal.

Just a thought.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Yes, and outlawing people driving cars altogether would cut down on car related deaths.

They're putting their money on the line to make a profit. When you buy something, it's yours to sell, period. To me this is the same as people getting in legal trouble over modifying products they bought legally (like Xbox Kinect or whatever). You buy something, it should be yours to do whatever you want with. If people want to buy tickets, they should be able to give them away, sell them, burn them or whatever. Not to mention like one poster stated, you can't make scalping illegal without making friendly ticket sales illegal. I know a few people with season tickets, and when they can't make the games, they sell the tickets at face value to a friend who wants tickets in prime seating to a sold out game.

If the Canucks really wanted to stop scalping, they could, even though I don't agree with it (although it doesn't hurt them in any way), but law enforcement should never be involved unless it is to charge someone for selling fake tickets.

By the way, the milk comparison is flawed. You need food and things like that to, you know, live. However, if someone went to EB games and bought every single game in the store and then raised the prices, that's up to them. Video games, just like going to a hockey game, is not a necessity and you have the choice of whether or not you want to go. The Canucks would raise their prices in a heartbeat if they felt they could make more profits by having higher ticket prices, but there is a limit to how much most people will pay. If scalpers bought every ticket and raised the prices to 3x and everyone still bought them, then the Canucks would just raise ticket prices 3x. Do you think the Canucks aren't an organization meant to make a profit?
Disagree 1000%. First off, you don't have the right to do whatever you want with a product for a reason. It protects the interest of the group actually providing the value. In this case, the Vancouver Canucks, a professional sports team has fan interest hurt by the fact that at times fans can't get tickets for face value because someone bought that ticket to try to sell it.

Also, selling tickets at face value is NOT illegal in any province that forbids scalping. In order for it to be scalping, there HAS to be profit.

The Canucks CANNOT stop scalping. Without a law to back them up, the only thing they could do is amend the conditions of ticket purchase (which would require a lot of lawyers) in such a way that they could revoke tickets found to being sold for profit (and in such cases, they'd STILL need the police's co-operation).

And the analogy doesn't work for the OPPOSITE reason from what you have said. It is ILLEGAL to sell certain goods without proper permits. You have to be an authorized retailer to sell milk.

And your EB example is actually worse. Buying some with intent of markup is only exploitative. Buying all with the same intent should violate laws (not going to look at which ones) because it hurts society in general.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
I can't believe how many posters on here are backing the scalpers and third-party sellers.

VanCity Millionaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:25 PM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Why? Let the market set the prices.

Really?

I'll agree with you on letting the market set the prices but scalping is an extremely scummy way of doing so. There is ONE person who benefits from scalping. It isn't a good thing when a bunch of wealthy people buy everything up with full intent of driving up market prices.

How are scalpers good for the city or province? The huge markup they charge isn't being taxed.

How are scalpers good for the team? The team doesn't see this additional revenue.

Scalping also leads to an increase in crime. Plenty of fake tickets are sold and people are robbed for thousands of dollars at gunpoint.

No benefits to scalpers... Happy to see these clowns losing their tickets to real supporters.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:31 PM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity Millionaires View Post
I can't believe how many posters on here are backing the scalpers and third-party sellers.
This.

I dont see what they bring to the table at all?

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Disagree 1000%. First off, you don't have the right to do whatever you want with a product for a reason. It protects the interest of the group actually providing the value. In this case, the Vancouver Canucks, a professional sports team has fan interest hurt by the fact that at times fans can't get tickets for face value because someone bought that ticket to try to sell it.

Also, selling tickets at face value is NOT illegal in any province that forbids scalping. In order for it to be scalping, there HAS to be profit.

The Canucks CANNOT stop scalping. Without a law to back them up, the only thing they could do is amend the conditions of ticket purchase (which would require a lot of lawyers) in such a way that they could revoke tickets found to being sold for profit (and in such cases, they'd STILL need the police's co-operation).

And the analogy doesn't work for the OPPOSITE reason from what you have said. It is ILLEGAL to sell certain goods without proper permits. You have to be an authorized retailer to sell milk.

And your EB example is actually worse. Buying some with intent of markup is only exploitative. Buying all with the same intent should violate laws (not going to look at which ones) because it hurts society in general.
Are you saying that you think there would be fewer lawyers involved if there was an anti-scalping law?

I'm surprised by how many people are keen to pass a law to prohibit buying and selling tickets for a profit as long as.

Pump n Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 12:25 AM
GTHP95

Canucks tickets are more expensive this year. Is it the scalpers fault or the Stanley Cup Run?

GTHP95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:09 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
Canucks tickets are more expensive this year. Is it the scalpers fault or the Stanley Cup Run?
Pretty much both.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 04:53 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity Millionaires View Post
No kidding.

These people are parasites who make it harder and more expensive for the average fan to see games. They don't provide a single iota of good to anyone but themselves.

Good for Winnipeg, and hopefully it happens in Vancouver as well soon.

Anyone who thinks this is a good practice should give their head a shake.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote