HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Claim Chorney and waive Woywitka?

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Claim Chorney and waive Woywitka?

Chorney on waivers from EDM. Still has decent potential. Would rather claim a guy like him and jettison Woywitka.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think one of the things they like about Woywitka is that he is an established veteran. Not sure a guy with 50 games under his belt fits the bill in terms of what they want out of the temporary #7 guy.

Anyway, I think people are being wayyyy too hard on Woywitka, much like they were with Eminger. Woywitka will be fine as a bottom pair/healthy scratch. When he has been asked to do more than that, he struggles. Eminger was in the same boat coming into last season. I'm content to keep him, and I doubt the team makes another move on the back end unless it's for a true upgrade.

It's just pain.
Old
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I've seen enough of Woywitka over his time to know I don't trust him getting more than a minute or two. I'd rather have Chorney sitting in the pressbox and developing during practice with some great young d-men like we have.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't know, I think he's fine. People said the EXACT same thing about Eminger. That he was a train wreck, worst defenseman, blah blah blah. I know you're not saying that, but a lot felt that way.

All those years Eminger sucked in Washington, TB and Philly, he was seeing 17-19 minutes per game. He played 23:30 per night for Tampa! He obviously couldn't handle that role and looked awful. Then he comes here, is given a role that he can handle--15 minutes per night, and plays competent to good hockey for us. Woywitka played 18 minutes per night with Dallas last year and was exposed. Play him 14 or so here, and he'll be fine.

I think it's likely a temporary spot that he's filling as it is.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
SML

No point. If we wanted to play guys with no experience, we may as well just play the ones we have. How would you feel if you were one of the guys sent down to HFD because they wanted more experience on D, then they turned around and brought an equally inexperienced guy in and let him play? Woywitka is not my first choice by any stretch, but he'll do for the short term.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've seen enough of Woywitka over his time to know I don't trust him getting more than a minute or two. I'd rather have Chorney sitting in the pressbox and developing during practice with some great young d-men like we have.
He doesn't have the luxury of sitting in the press box. The reserve d-man is going to play. Depending on Sauer's health, the reserve may play more than we'd all like.

I don't disagree with the premise in general, but under the circumstances, experience and cap hit were the two aspects that they needed most in this role.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:22 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Woywitka played 18 minutes per night with Dallas last year and was exposed. Play him 14 or so here, and he'll be fine.
How was he exposed? I thought he played pretty well in what I saw of the Stars last year (+5)

One thing people have to remember is that it takes time for defensemen to mature. A lot of times, the light doesn't go on until they are 26 or 27. Unlike forwards, who are pretty much a finished product by 23, defensemen can taker much longer to find their game. Woywitka will be fine. Eminger has been fine. Neither can replace Staal but that's not what they are being asked to do.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
How was he exposed? I thought he played pretty well in what I saw of the Stars last year (+5)

One thing people have to remember is that it takes time for defensemen to mature. A lot of times, the light doesn't go on until they are 26 or 27. Unlike forwards, who are pretty much a finished product by 23, defensemen can taker much longer to find their game. Woywitka will be fine. Eminger has been fine. Neither can replace Staal but that's not what they are being asked to do.
Wasn't he asked to play low minutes for the Stars, did well, then asked to play the 18+ and struggled?

Old
10-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Wasn't he asked to play low minutes for the Stars, did well, then asked to play the 18+ and struggled?
According to Crawford, yes, that was the case.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

He looked pretty "meh" the few games I remember, when he logged a lot of minutes. But the point is, Woywitka should be fine in a limited capacity. Eminger was asked to do too much, people thought he sucked, he came here and did well in a limited capacity. Woywitka will be fine as well. I think we're in agreement here.

Old
10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
He doesn't have the luxury of sitting in the press box. The reserve d-man is going to play. Depending on Sauer's health, the reserve may play more than we'd all like.

I don't disagree with the premise in general, but under the circumstances, experience and cap hit were the two aspects that they needed most in this role.
I think Chorney is at least an equal of Woywitka in terms of actual NHL play. I really don't see any difference between the two, other than Chorney is younger and has actual potential left in him. Woywitka has peaked and will always be a #7 d-man. Nothing more.

Chorney is not any worse of a player at this level. ****, I think he's actually better than Woywitka is currently.

Better + younger with potential = dump the loser without potential, to me.

Old
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Levitate

Chorney is absolutely terrible. TERRIBLE defensively

Old
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Too late anyway, St. Louis claimed him.

Closed Thread